Sauna and marijuana, is it dangerous?

gb902

Vaporog
I would to try to vape before entering in a sauna, are there any health risks?
I have read that sauna + drugs (or alcohol) is dangerous, and can cause loss of consciousness, and other serious risks for the health. I know the THC isn't a toxic substance, so I don't know if it can be considered like other drugs.
Anyone has ever tried to take a sauna while high? Is it safe?

Gabry

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
unlike alcohol, THC does not dehydrate you.... however if your going to smoke/vape and then sit in a sauna, make sure you monitor your time in the sauna so you don't force yourself into dehydration. Staying in the sauna too long can take its toll on you.
It is safe as long as you don't forget how long you have been sitting in it.

DevoTheStrange,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I am assuming this is a dry sauna opposed to a steam room? A sauna (or steam room or hot tub) can be dangerous without any type of intoxicant being involved. Devo is right; dehydration is one of the biggest risks. But the heat itself can also make you feel dizzy, etc., if you have high blood pressure or are ill. General rule of thumb is 20 minutes if you are comfortable. I would take a water bottle in with you if you are concerned about dehydration.

Enjoy!! :D

momofthegoons,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah and I can imagine severe dehydration would more than likely cause a panic attack if you are stoned... It can cause chest pains and shortness of breathe if you are dehydrated and start to freak out.

DevoTheStrange,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hell, panic attack? How about passing out? It can be serious business. But yeah, being high would intensify it for sure.

That said, I've taken many a sauna/steam high. It's my natural state of being. ;)

momofthegoons,

gb902

Vaporog
Useful comments, thanks guys. I know the risks of the dehydration, I just drink a lot of water before, during and after the sauna. I can confirm that sometimes inhaling hot air for several minutes can make feel me a bit "stoned" (not as enjoyable as vaping ;)) or very tired. However I use an infrared sauna, and I usually stay inside about 70 minutes (35 mins, quick shower, again 35 mins).
Panick attacks would be awful :uhoh:, are they possible only if the person doesn't drink a right amount of water?

gb902,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Let's get real. :) No one can tell you for sure what you are going to feel. A panic attack can happen for many reasons. Not drinking enough water will cause dehydration. Some of the effects of dehydration can include a racing heart, dizziness, nausea. Can this trigger a panic attack? Sure. Will it, for sure, trigger one? Who knows? Speaking for myself, I try to keep a calm head. I would have to be feeling mighty hinky to panic. I've had problems after a good steam or hot tub session when I'm hungry or dehydrated, or if I've stayed in for too long. So I try not to put myself in that situation. Listen to your body and don't over do it with the time. And try not to over think this. Like I said before, enjoy! :2c:

momofthegoons,

gb902

Vaporog
Ok, as soon as possible I will try paying attention to it, and then I will tell you how it was.
I know that trying on oneself is the best way to test anything, but this time I've searched on the web but found nothing regarding the risks, now I am more informed. Thanks :)

gb902,
As has been pointed out, any artificial raising of your body temperature is potentially dangerous. Just use common sense and don't forget the "buddy system!"

Now, as to SAUNA and MARIJUANA - shit, they rhyme!
How can they NOT go together? ;)

Now, let's talk about USING the sauna to vape the herb - talk about a body high!
I mean, what is a sauna? It is a big box you can climb into with a precise heating control. Sounds like a giant vape to me.

Howie Feltersnatch,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I mean, what is a sauna? It is a big box you can climb into with a precise heating control. Sounds like a giant vape to me.
:lol: I never thought of that. It's pretty funny!

momofthegoons,

wthanna

ohhh..... imagining an FC party in the sauna... a nice pile of herb on some hot rocks.... cold beverage in hand... soaking up the vapor :ko:

wthanna,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you know some of the first instances of vaporizing bud involved a sauna like situation? egyptians and scythians made saunas that they would throw herb on top of the hot rocks as well as water and inhale.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
DevoTheStrange said:
you know some of the first instances of vaporizing bud involved a sauna like situation? egyptians and scythians made saunas that they would throw herb on top of the hot rocks as well as water and inhale.
I didn't know, very interesting. So vaporizers are older than we think!

gb902,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Not that I'm recommending it, but ...
Back in the day, many years ago, I spent a lot of time in hot springs and jacuzzis, and usually it involved alcohol AND marijuana...
Once or twice I felt dizzy or faint and had to get out.
As far as I know, no real harm was done.
So I guess, yeah, sure, anything can be dangerous if you're drunk and stoned while doing it.

Drink water and don't get so drunk or stoned that you are completely "out of it" and things should be fine.

MoeOnTheMoon,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
i had a drunk experience with a jacuzzi once... got so dehydrated I couldn't get out because I was so weak, I was lucky I wasn't alone or I may never have gotten out.

DevoTheStrange,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Alcohol is much more dangerous for you than mj because it dehydrates you (and in my opinion, impairs you) much more. People have died drinking in hot tubs. Now, there might have been other issues healthwise that factored in. I just wouldn't be overly concerned, personally, about vaping prior to a sauna. I'd be more concerned with not staying in too long and being hydrated, which would be concerns even if I hadn't vaped.

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom