Recommendations for enail controller

Baron23

Hi guys - I will not go through the whole bloody ordeal that I went through with Greenlights and their G9 Omron E5CC enail controller. I posted on this at obnoxious length in the Cheap Chinese Enail thread. But the bottom line is what they sent was poorly designed (no external relay at all even though its an E5CC-QX which is made for just that), it wasn't configured correctly (PID wasn't even turned ON), and the temperature stability performance after lengthy heat soak was still over 30 degrees F from max under to max overshoot. Complete junk and I'm working with them for refund (or stick to them via Paypal if they don't cooperate).

So, I want a new enail controller. I don't care if I can't tell the differenced between on temperature and another that is 10-15 degrees off. If I buy one, I want the sucker to work correctly and I believe, aside from impact of dabs, breeze hitting it, and crap like that...that a decent Omron E5CC-QX should be able to hold within +/- 5 degrees or so max!

I do not want a D-nail. Although I'm sure it will work just fine, I'm not paying $600 bucks for something that has a max of $80 worth of parts.

So, I'm open to recommendations please.....please....PLEASE respond. LOL

I also do have some questions I would be interested in your answering. In particular, I have been looking at Gimido's Best Dab controller which is Omron E5CC equipped. With regard to this unit (or their slightly cheaper Nice Dab controller):

1. Anyone have a Gimido Best or Nice and, if so, what model and how do you like it?

2. The Best is shown being equipped with mini XLRs while the Nice has an option for regular 5-pin XLR. I have an inquiry into them if they can put a regular XLR socket on the Best as there seems to be many more options for coils with regular XLR. Anybody use a controller with mini-XLR (can get with 4 or 5 pin configuration) and if so, have you been able to readily find coils with this type connector?

3. If you have a Gimido Best or Nice unit, have you looked inside? Is it the QX version of the E5CC and can you see that there is an external SSR (solid state relay)?

4. If you have a Gimido Best or Nice unit, what are you see as steady state temperature stability. What is the +/- degrees F when heat soaked and just sitting there? Overshoot? Undershoot?

5. I'm also looking at the High5 V1 or V2 LCD enail which is also Omron E5CC equipped. Anyone have one and, if so, does it have an external SSR and how stable is it?

Thanks and sorry for the long post but I have found this to be a VERY frustrating experience.

I do, in advance, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Last edited:

Baron23

Yeah, lot of questions and I don't blame people for just going on by. LOL

So, just added the Auber RDK-300 to the list of candidates. So far I have inquires to Gimido, Highfive, and I don't need to ask Auber anything....they provide so much info on their site.

Opinions, anyone?

I'm now leaning toward Auber as they are just south a bit in Georgia.

Baron23,

Kanna_Kult

I have the auber RDK 300, it has served me very well and I would highly reccomemd it. I've used some other enails and all the controllers functioned more or less the same other than the dnail one that help its temp a little better (but it lacked features that are pretty standard like being able to see both set and real temp). I think the biggest thing is making sure you get a quality nail, that matters a lot more than the controller. I have the dnail slim + SiC and it functions extremely well. I've also heard nothing but great stuff about the stuff from CCA. My unit doesn't fluctuate in temp more than +\– 6 or 7 degrees F unless I drop a glob that floods the whole dish, I dab around 580-623*F. I hope I was at least slightly helpful in some degree the electrical stuff is a little past my knowledge level so I can't tell you much about what's going on inside the unit, just that I'm very satisfied with mine and would recommend it. I also love how tiny it is.

Kanna_Kult,
Reactions: Baron23

Baron23

I have the auber RDK 300, it has served me very well and I would highly reccomemd it. I've used some other enails and all the controllers functioned more or less the same other than the dnail one that help its temp a little better (but it lacked features that are pretty standard like being able to see both set and real temp). I think the biggest thing is making sure you get a quality nail, that matters a lot more than the controller. I have the dnail slim + SiC and it functions extremely well. I've also heard nothing but great stuff about the stuff from CCA. My unit doesn't fluctuate in temp more than +\– 6 or 7 degrees F unless I drop a glob that floods the whole dish, I dab around 580-623*F. I hope I was at least slightly helpful in some degree the electrical stuff is a little past my knowledge level so I can't tell you much about what's going on inside the unit, just that I'm very satisfied with mine and would recommend it. I also love how tiny it is.
Thanks @Kanna_Kult !:clap:

I just went through the Auber manual set that they have on-line and now I'm kind of jazzed about it. Clear, concise, intelligible manuals...wow, what a unique experience in the vape universe.

I do have a CCA 710 Liger Banger 2.0 (love all the nomenclature we like to quote in vaping LOL) with SiC and quarts inserts. Love that piece and might look to upgrade when 3.0 comes out, particularly like the new cap.

I would be very happy with a +/- 6 degrees at steady state. I fully understand that hitting it with a dab will impact temp as will just the fan or A/C coming on with a breeze. 33 degree swing range, and what I know after looking in the box, this G9 was a rip off in my estimation. Live an learn.

D-nail makes nice units but the cost is ridiculous. They don't have any more magic juice in their box that any other enail manf.

The only thing I wish the Auber had was separate main power and coil power. Yes, like a Volcano Digit it will count down temp if turned off and left plugged in, but I do indeed like the separate switches that the Gimido Best Dab sports.

You definitely were of help, I definitely appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Baron23,

EVlL 55

...I also have a rdk 300.
..from ordering it to having it delivered to setting it up and using it was effortless....the spin dial for temp. is paramount..imo.
What's strange is it cost me about $100 I think from Aubers,...but on amazon it's like 2x that...
Anyway,..the dual temps,and understated lights and auto shutoff don't hurt either.
I also own a full setup for both the liger v.2 and the dnail slim in quartz and SIC persuasions....
Iv found that the ligerS restriction really muted my showerheads...but smoothed out my recyclers.....whereas the dnail dish,....on a NewVape body doesnt alter the pieces perc at all...very free flowing....
...it's just a bitch swapping coils,..and that also kills off coils....so I think I'll opt for the splitter Dnail has...it'll make the nail swap a breeze and make it a deuce setup...
MUTTEN840 made his own dual box from Omrons which cost a fraction of a prebuilt...hopefully he chimes in...he has a good working knowledge on the pids.
I wish you luck.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Yeah, lot of questions and I don't blame people for just going on by. LOL

So, just added the Auber RDK-300 to the list of candidates. So far I have inquires to Gimido, Highfive, and I don't need to ask Auber anything....they provide so much info on their site.

Opinions, anyone?

I'm now leaning toward Auber as they are just south a bit in Georgia.

I have the Gimido you mentioned. Josh/Liger advised me to purchase it.
It works fabulously.

Silat,

Baron23

I have the Gimido you mentioned. Josh/Liger advised me to purchase it.
It works fabulously.
  • Is is the Best or the Nice?
  • Does it have a regular XLR 5-pin connector or a mini 4 or 5 pin connector.
  • if it sports the mini, have you bought any other coils for it and found them easily available (aside from getting it from Gimido)?
  • When just sitting there at stable temp, what under/overshoot do you see with your Gimido?
  • I take it that you didn't have to make any setting changes to it...that is, you use it as it came right out of the box?

Thanks @Silat for the reply and hope you don't mind the follow up questions.

...I also have a rdk 300.
..from ordering it to having it delivered to setting it up and using it was effortless....the spin dial for temp. is paramount..imo.
What's strange is it cost me about $100 I think from Aubers,...but on amazon it's like 2x that...
Anyway,..the dual temps,and understated lights and auto shutoff don't hurt either.
I also own a full setup for both the liger v.2 and the dnail slim in quartz and SIC persuasions....
Iv found that the ligerS restriction really muted my showerheads...but smoothed out my recyclers.....whereas the dnail dish,....on a NewVape body doesnt alter the pieces perc at all...very free flowing....
...it's just a bitch swapping coils,..and that also kills off coils....so I think I'll opt for the splitter Dnail has...it'll make the nail swap a breeze and make it a deuce setup...
MUTTEN840 made his own dual box from Omrons which cost a fraction of a prebuilt...hopefully he chimes in...he has a good working knowledge on the pids.
I wish you luck.

Thanks!! I do have a Liger 2.0 but only have one piece of glass at the moment. I haven't really noticed much restriction on it but will pay more attention. My current one piece is a C2 stemless with single circular perc with side slits (I don't know what the correct name would be for this)). So, I haven't had the opportunity to compare the impact of different glass/nail combos. but I have a GravLabs version of the Bates x Worm diffusion pump on the way so I will pay attention to any differences with the Liger and different types of glass.

Right now the RDK-300 is $130 base price from Auber. That's certainly cheap enough. I avoided it originally because of the twist dial you seem to like a lot. It looks analog to me and I wasn't sure of Auber at all. after reading more on this unit, I'm more than fine with it as I now understand that while this unit has a bit of an old analog instrument look to it, it is definitely not that. LOL

Yes, @mutten840 is certainly knowledgeable on this subject and, I believe, has been wonderfully helpful to me in the past. While I think I can build one (ain't THAT much to it) I really don't want a Heath kit enail (if you are much younger than I, you might have to Google Heath Kits LOL).

Good stuff. Now let's see who replies to my inquires. Auber was self-explanatory and well documented. Gimido and HighFive I have inquires into. If they don't answer

Baron23,

mutten840

@Baron23 I have an extra SSR I can send you and a wiring diagram so you can see where to add it into the mix of your controller. That will tighten up the temps considerably. If you are totally over it and have some faith in the FC peeps. You could even send it to me and I would be willing to add the SSR to the mix and make sure it is tuned like the 2 e5cc omron controllers I have been using. No need to waste more money on another setup when a little bit of work should fix yours =)

Let me know if you want the SSR or want to try sending it to me for repair =)

Really feel for you and understand how this shit can be very confusing when trying to choose a controller.

Silat

• Is is the Best or the Nice?
  • Does it have a regular XLR 5-pin connector or a mini 4 or 5 pin connector.
  • if it sports the mini, have you bought any other coils for it and found them easily available (aside from getting it from Gimido)?
  • When just sitting there at stable temp, what under/overshoot do you see with your Gimido?
  • I take it that you didn't have to make any setting changes to it...that is, you use it as it came right out of the box?

1/ Best
2/ 4 pin mini
3/ I have not bought any extras other than the 2 heater/coils I ordered with the unit per Josh instructions.
4/ overshoot- not worth mentioning
5/ It worked perfectly right out of the box

Silat,

Monsoon

I have the Small Dabs 2.5 (5-pin) and also had the Best Dabs (4-pin) before. Only difference between the two in the connector type and the 4-pin one also has an on/off button for the heater. Without the button if you want to see your temp drop just set the temp really low. Main reason I upgraded is to use the D-Nail coils and unless you can wire them yourself the only source for the 4-pin ones is through Gimido. Both use the Gimido E5CC PID, haven't opened them up but the temp is usually within 5F of target.

Monsoon,
Reactions: Silat

Baron23

@Baron23 I have an extra SSR I can send you and a wiring diagram so you can see where to add it into the mix of your controller. That will tighten up the temps considerably. If you are totally over it and have some faith in the FC peeps. You could even send it to me and I would be willing to add the SSR to the mix and make sure it is tuned like the 2 e5cc omron controllers I have been using. No need to waste more money on another setup when a little bit of work should fix yours =)

Really feel for you and understand how this shit can be very confusing when trying to choose a controller.

@mutten840 - Wow, what an incredibly generous offer. I just PM'd you. Thought that it might be better if we took this out of the public forum.

I've met some really great people through this site.:clap::clap::clap:

1/ Best
2/ 4 pin mini
3/ I have not bought any extras other than the 2 heater/coils I ordered with the unit per Josh instructions.
4/ overshoot- not worth mentioning
5/ It worked perfectly right out of the box

Thanks @Silat!! exactly the data I needed.

I have the Small Dabs 2.5 (5-pin) and also had the Best Dabs (4-pin) before. Only difference between the two in the connector type and the 4-pin one also has an on/off button for the heater. Without the button if you want to see your temp drop just set the temp really low. Main reason I upgraded is to use the D-Nail coils and unless you can wire them yourself the only source for the 4-pin ones is through Gimido. Both use the Gimido E5CC PID, haven't opened them up but the temp is usually within 5F of target.

Hi @Monsoon - thanks, more great data. Yeah, I don't know why they put a mini 4 pin on their best. There looks to be enough real estate to accommodate a regular XLR on the panel. I don't think cutting off a connector from coil and rewiring to a mini-four pin would be all that hard, but I'm not sure I want to do that nor buy a lifetime supply of coils from Gimido upfront.

I did research mini-XLR coils and you just confirmed my findings....aside from Gimido there ain't none.

But I don't understand...if I read you correctly, you upgraded from the Small Dabs with a 5 pin full XLR to the Best Dabs with a 4 pin mini XLR to use D-nail heaters. But I look on D-nail's site and it looks like all of their heaters are 5 pin full size XLR. What am I misunderstanding?

My problem with Gimido and HighFive is that, much like Greenlight, they are not responsive to communications. I asked some straightforward easy questions that SHOULD be answered up front on their website (and they are for Auber) but have not heard back from either of them.

Stable within 5 degrees is very acceptable, I think.

Thanks for the reply and info

P.S. - Its now 6 pm eastern and I have been communicating constantly with a fabulous FC member who is going to help me out. I don't want to expose details publically, but I do want to say that this is a great site with some superb and completely wonderful people. I am very grateful to have met with some acceptance here and hope I can pay this forward some day.

Cheers

Last edited:

Silat

So it is true that Washingtonians are not all bad:)

Monsoon

Hi @Monsoon - thanks, more great data. Yeah, I don't know why they put a mini 4 pin on their best. There looks to be enough real estate to accommodate a regular XLR on the panel. I don't think cutting off a connector from coil and rewiring to a mini-four pin would be all that hard, but I'm not sure I want to do that nor buy a lifetime supply of coils from Gimido upfront.

I did research mini-XLR coils and you just confirmed my findings....aside from Gimido there ain't none.

But I don't understand...if I read you correctly, you upgraded from the Small Dabs with a 5 pin full XLR to the Best Dabs with a 4 pin mini XLR to use D-nail heaters. But I look on D-nail's site and it looks like all of their heaters are 5 pin full size XLR. What am I misunderstanding?

My problem with Gimido and HighFive is that, much like Greenlight, they are not responsive to communications. I asked some straightforward easy questions that SHOULD be answered up front on their website (and they are for Auber) but have not heard back from either of them.

Stable within 5 degrees is very acceptable, I think.

Thanks for the reply and info
I have the 5-pin Small Dabs one now, upgraded from the 4-pin one. They both use the same case but there isn't enough room on the front for both the 5-pin and a button.

If the other thing doesn't work out, you could also try piecing it together yourself it would be cheaper and you'll know exactly what's inside. I think Gimido sells all the parts to make your own.

Monsoon,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Hi guys - I will not go through the whole bloody ordeal that I went through with Greenlights and their G9 Omron E5CC enail controller. I posted on this at obnoxious length in the Cheap Chinese Enail thread. But the bottom line is what they sent was poorly designed (no external relay at all even though its an E5CC-QX which is made for just that), it wasn't configured correctly (PID wasn't even turned ON), and the temperature stability performance after lengthy heat soak was still over 30 degrees F from max under to max overshoot. Complete junk and I'm working with them for refund (or stick to them via Paypal if they don't cooperate).

So, I want a new enail controller. I don't care if I can't tell the differenced between on temperature and another that is 10-15 degrees off. If I buy one, I want the sucker to work correctly and I believe, aside from impact of dabs, breeze hitting it, and crap like that...that a decent Omron E5CC-QX should be able to hold within +/- 5 degrees or so max!

I do not want a D-nail. Although I'm sure it will work just fine, I'm not paying $600 bucks for something that has a max of $80 worth of parts.

I also do have some questions I would be interested in your answering. In particular, I have been looking at Gimido's Best Dab controller which is Omron E5CC equipped. With regard to this unit (or their slightly cheaper Nice Dab controller):

1. Anyone have a Gimido Best or Nice and, if so, what model and how do you like it?

2. The Best is shown being equipped with mini XLRs while the Nice has an option for regular 5-pin XLR. I have an inquiry into them if they can put a regular XLR socket on the Best as there seems to be many more options for coils with regular XLR. Anybody use a controller with mini-XLR (can get with 4 or 5 pin configuration) and if so, have you been able to readily find coils with this type connector?

3. If you have a Gimido Best or Nice unit, have you looked inside? Is it the QX version of the E5CC and can you see that there is an external SSR (solid state relay)?

4. If you have a Gimido Best or Nice unit, what are you see as steady state temperature stability. What is the +/- degrees F when heat soaked and just sitting there? Overshoot? Undershoot?

5. I'm also looking at the High5 V1 or V2 LCD enail which is also Omron E5CC equipped. Anyone have one and, if so, does it have an external SSR and how stable is it?

Thanks and sorry for the long post but I have found this to be a VERY frustrating experience.

Cheers
Have you considered Errlectric. The price point is high but the build is rock-solid and Made in the USA. I have 2 and all of their nail options. This is not a PID. It is their own proprietary design. Their link is in my sig.

DieHard,

subway13029

Well since baron got his worked out and I'm trying to find a basic setup as I'm on the torch now and using bangers. So is the Auber a better option than the other two he mentions?

subway13029,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

This is by far the best offer I've seen presented in this thread. Your current e-nail box contains nearly all the parts for fantastic performance if it's equipped with the correct relay, wired, and configured properly, there's absolutely no need to spend more than about $50 to get it set up for fantastic performance. Major kudos to @mutten840 for the kind offer to bring your current e-nail up to its maximum potential.

Baron23

This is by far the best offer I've seen presented in this thread. Your current e-nail box contains nearly all the parts for fantastic performance if it's equipped with the correct relay, wired, and configured properly, there's absolutely no need to spend more than about $50 to get it set up for fantastic performance. Major kudos to @mutten840 for the kind offer to bring your current e-nail up to its maximum potential.

@SamuraiSam - I absolutely agree. @mutten840 is a prince among men and that's a heck of a friendly offer. :clap::nod::clap:

@subway13029 - after having looked into it, even though we are going to give fixing up my G9 a go, I'm still going to buy the Auber RDK-300. Unlike just about anybody else, they really act like a tech company with full data posted on their site. I like that a lot. they are in fact a commercial instrumentation manufacturer and best of all they are headquartered in Georgia where they are assembled, which means that there is a voice to speak to if needed.

Neither Gimido nor HighFive replied in any way to my inquiry via their contact form on their website.

So, when I end up with two controllers I will have one for my Liger 2.0 and one for....we will see...maybe the Liger 3.0 with flat coil?? haha

Baron23,
Reactions: Silat

brucee10

Cheers

If you do end up with the Greenlight unit after your fight with Greenlight/Paypal, I can modify it to run an SSR(I have 2 extras from my build) and add a coil switch and a fuze if you like. I'd just charge for the parts and shipping plus maybe a domestic 6-pack for the labor. I built my E5CC controller 3 months ago and it's ran nightly ever since. I see 5-10 temp swings when hitting it hard in a heavily air conditioned room. I can tune it with my Liger V2 too.

Edit - I just saw the same offer from mutten840. Sorry for the dupe, just offering to help.

Baron23

Hi @brucee10 - what a wonderful and tremendously generous offer. Thank you so very much.

@mutten840 did indeed offer to do exactly the same but when he got it, it turned out the entire box needed to be torn apart and completely rewired. The way that they built it, both @mutten840 and I can hardly believe it worked at ALL ( and this is aside from those idiots soldering wires to the top of screws in screw down terminals!....yes, they actually did that).

I don't know if Mutten added the coil switch as separate from the main power but I'm so incredibly grateful for his help I sure am certainly not going to dwell on nice to haves and extras. I'm just thankful for all of the help and the fact that its now working well.

I just got off the phone with Mutten and my G9 is on its way back to me. I do think I would have had an easier time with this unit if I did start with DIY parts and built it from scratch. Mutten says its rock solid now but that he basically needed to restart from a parts pile.

I will say again, wonderfully helpful people like yourself and @mutten840 are what really makes me grateful for this board. :tup::clap:

Thanks again and I hope I have the opportunity to offer you so help some day :wave:

Top Bottom