Question about broken glass

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Hello all, not 100% sure where this should go, but this makes sense as it's a question...

I have a glass bong thats broken, and it's been sitting in my closet for months. Having had my q for a couple weeks now, and only used it once through water (friends bong) I decided I need to fix mine. Also, the elbow piece from the EQ fits perfectly into the GonG down stem/diffuser I have for it this bong already...

I don't have the extra cash to shell out for more glass, and I've kept this piece because the break is very clean, and definitely glue-able. I have pics, it broke just above the base, meaning that the glued section will be covered in water completely when being used...

My question is more just seeking advice...I plan on going to my local Wal*Mart when it opens this morning and getting some Gorilla Glue, as I've used it in the past. Thing is, GG takes 24 hours to dry, and I don't want to wait till tomorrow to vape through it. I see that they sell a 2oz bottle of 'quick cure'http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Glue-5201201-2-oz-Quick-Cure/15085368 Gorilla glue, and it says like all gorilla glue, it works on glass, and is 100% water proof...

It says it's not in stock in stores, but it says that alot when they actually have things in the store, so hopefully they have it. If not, someplace will, but either way....Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, tips, etc...on this little project?

Thanks for reading, figure I'll get some last minute confirmation on my purchase/project before I go to the store...OR if anyone thinks this won't work for some reason, or knows of an alternative method that may work better and/or faster....I am aware that this would be a quick fix for a blower, but there is not one in my area, and I do not have the money to send it out...Also it's no-name glass, think it cost me $60-$75 at most...

Here are the pics, just took them, and I'll be cleaning it before I glue it...

http://img688.imageshack.us/g/1053506.jpg/

Purpl3_Haz3,

Cleanfiend

Greetings! So sorry to hear about your dilemma; I would caution you to think twice before glueing your glass piece back together due to the inhalation of fumes. I highly doubt that Gorilla Glue is non-toxic...do your research and start saving for a new bong.

Cleanfiend,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Cleanfiend said:
Greetings! So sorry to hear about your dilemma; I would caution you to think twice before glueing your glass piece back together due to the inhalation of fumes. I highly doubt that Gorilla Glue is non-toxic...do your research and start saving for a new bong.

I actually forget to mention in the first post, that Gorilla glue is actually non-toxic...

Gorilla Glue Website said:
Our MSDS is available in a downloadable pdf format on our site if you need more specific information. Gorilla Glue is completely non-toxic once fully cured. Just remember to use common sense when using on applications involving surfaces that come in contact with food.

Someone asked on the Gorilla glue website about using it on a cereal bowl, and then microwaving the bowl in the future (after the glue was cured/dried).

Gorilla Glue Website said:
Question - Can I assume that if I repair my favorite cereal bowl with Gorilla glue that I can microwave it without a problem after it completely dries? I sure hope so.

Answer - That's right, once dried, you can use the cereal bowl just like normal. Be sure not to microwave or heat until the glue is fully cured, which is about 24 hours.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Well I couldn't find anything anywhere online saying I shouldn't use Gorilla glue, and read multiple threads on other forums that it did work...So I went ahead and glued it back together. This 'quick cure' Gorilla glue says 30-60 mins...So I'm gonna wait a little over an hour, and take a Q-tip and apply a very thin layer on the outside of the tube, all the way around the crack, just for extra stability...

As I said before, it was a fairly inexpensive piece, as far as tubes go...so if it doesn't work out or last long, I only put 3 bucks into glue...planning on a new tube or heady glass bubbler when i get my tax return...

**edit**UPDATE**

So it's been 45 mins since I glued it, and I plugged the female GonG joint with my thumb and pulled on the tube and the suction is perfect, not the slightest leak...I then added a thin layer all the way around the crack, and I'm gonna wait about 45 more mins or an hour and fill it up with water...

Purpl3_Haz3,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Awesomeness! :D

I have confidence (for you) that this should end well as it was a clean break and it will be going through water as well. Hopefully all will end well with your glass piece. Let us know how it works for you!

AGBeer,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
AGBeer said:
Awesomeness! :D

I have confidence (for you) that this should end well as it was a clean break and it will be going through water as well. Hopefully all will end well with your glass piece. Let us know how it works for you!

Thanks for the reassurance AG!

I mainly kept the piece cause it broke only a few days after purchasing it and I loved it from the moment I saw it in the head shop...(something about clean clear glass :brow: ) That, and the break was clean enough that I could set it on a table (with minimal water in it) holding pressure with one hand, and smoke out of it fine (no leakage).

At this point it should be good to go, but I just filled the last bag on a half full cyclone bowl, and I'm pretty vaked :ko: soo I think I'll play some video games and let it sit and cure while I sit and cure...Also I have the down stem diffuser soaking in ISO to remove the final remains of resin from it.

If I feel like it (very very lifted right now) I'll take a couple milkshots and post them up!

**UPDATE**

So I'ts all dry and full of water and i've pulled akmost 3 bags through it and its worikng GREAT!

Ill post piccs later when i find my camera..

Purpl3_Haz3,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I would just exercise extreme caution when you clean it in the future as well. Make sure you dont use any solvent based cleaners that may leech the glue :)

Glad it works man!

AGBeer,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
AGBeer said:
I would just exercise extreme caution when you clean it in the future as well. Make sure you dont use any solvent based cleaners that may leech the glue :)

Glad it works man!

Read online that "Gorilla Glue is made of polyurethane, That means any solvent that breaks down polyurethane will break down Gorilla Glue. Those solvents are:

Toluene, naptha, denatured alcohol, methyl ethyl ketone, some forms of lacquer thinner and in the most extreme cases gasoline. Any of these things can be purchased at a local hardware store or home center.

Beware, all of these things are petroleum based and extremely flamable."

Heres a link to the pics...I noticed the very slightest drop of water in one spot, so I just tightly wrapped a layer of electrical tape over the seem...doesn't look horrible, and makes me feel more confident in the integrity of the piece...

As far as usability, it's the perfect size to use with a vape! just small enough to not be to much to rip, and perfect size for sitting on a stand or in your lap...

pics---> http://img225.imageshack.us/g/1053521.jpg/

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3752/jjz.mp4

Purpl3_Haz3,

max

Out to lunch
Just FYI- toluene and naphthalene are present and released when mj is smoked and even when vaporizing at higher temps.

max,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Woah, never knew that. Can you provide us with a link or just some more details? That's good stuff to know, Max.

aesthyrian,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
max said:
Just FYI- toluene and naphthalene are present and released when mj is smoked and even when vaporizing at higher temps.

Thanks...

Still cant see how where the joint that was glued is under water, and seperated from heat by 3 ft. of tubing, that it could get hot enough to release anything...:/

but I am far from knowlegeable in this subject

Purpl3_Haz3,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
So, it started to leak significantly enough that it isn't useful...

I almost gave up, then after vaping I came up with what seems like a great idea! where the tube is broken on the bottom, it is ever so slightly lower than the bottom of the diffuser, so there is no need for anymore length on the tube. the piece broken off of the bottom is essentially just a base...So thinking about acrylic bongs and how the base comes off and all then there is a plastic or rubber cap, I figure I can find a rubber cap at a hardware store and pop that on the bottom...the outer diameter of the tube is 1.5" so I'm gonna go shop around for something tomorrow....

Any ideas input or suggestions are more than welcome!

Purpl3_Haz3,
Top Bottom