Gear Quartz Quest or Triton OS?

sarkunit

Hello trusty FC community,

I recently purchased a Barbed Fire Atty along with a pico at the local shop and am very impressed at how it performs compared to any other hand held I have tried. I now want to upgrade, and I want my money to be well spent. I like a combination of good taste, big hits, and the ability to clean between hits if possible (but this is not the most crucial factor at all). Also, do I need to flash the pico to artic fox? Thanks in advance, you all rock out loud.

sarkunit,

florduh

I'd recommend the Top Airflow Saionara with the titanium bucket. Especially for newer users. Really simple to use. I haven't messed with my settings (besides temp here and there) for 7 months. Super easy to clean... you just swab it with a q-tip. Great, clean taste every time.

Some people prefer quartz. I even have a slight preference for quartz. But the titanium bucket gives me no problems, and great taste. Quartz takes longer to heat up than Ti. I get vapor production in about 3 seconds with the Ti bucket.

ArcticFox isn't necessary, but I recommend it.

acolyte

Currently using the triton on a pico, haven't flashed but I've only had it a week. Lots of good options there. The TAF Sai is well loved but I love UP tech and appreciate what they're trying to do with materials so I spent the extra money. Really solid and beautiful unit

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Currently using the triton on a pico, haven't flashed but I've only had it a week. Lots of good options there. The TAF Sai is well loved but I love UP tech and appreciate what they're trying to do with materials so I spent the extra money. Really solid and beautiful unit
Having used all 3 of the devices discussed myself I can say I think you made the right choice. I have not touched my SAI since receiving the Triton and see no need for it now. Probably just gonna give it to my brother when he is ready to get into LAYG wax setups.

The QQ v1 and QQ v2 is garbage IMO. The cup was too small and the mouthpiece airflow inlet causes major splatter as well as hot air/oil to exit the inlet if you accidently even slightly exhale into it. I am a heavy breather I am told but I digress. The QQ v4 or whatever Matt last showed does look much more promising but I still like the Triton design better.

Last edited:

florduh

Having used all 3 of the devices discussed myself I can say I think you made the right choice. I have not touched my SAI since receiving the Triton and see no need for it now. Probably just gonna give it to my brother when he is ready to get into LAYG wax setups.

The QQ v1 and QQ v2 is garbage IMO. The cup was too small and the mouthpiece airflow inlet causes major splatter as well as hot air/oil to exit the inlet if you accidently even slightly exhale into it. I am a heavy breather I am told but I digress. The QQ v4 or whatever Matt last showed does look much more promising but I still like the Triton design better.

Would you say the Triton buckets outperform the TAF Sai bucket? I'm curious because the Triton's side airflow holes don't look like they would work as well for buckets as the Sai's top "straw" that's directed directly into the bucket.

The QQ looks like it's more work than I'd like. But Matt's airflow caps are more advanced than the Sai or Triton.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I would say they are very close in performance. Its just a little less harsh and extra flavor on the Triton. It may be minimal but its still noticable for me. The Triton is the only system with quartz cup that actually works as good or better than the SAI. I had my method down pretty well with the TAF SAI to where waste was minimal and so was splatter. I have been able to mimic this with the Triton very easily. All the other quartz devices (motar, source nail, QQ, etc.) create splatter and waste a good bit of your wax or ruin the flavor before you can get 4 or 5 or 6 hits from it.

subway13029

When you say flash what do you mean? I have a pico and is that an update? I’m a virgin with these mods.

subway13029,

acolyte

When you say flash what do you mean? I have a pico and is that an update? I’m a virgin with these mods.
There's a custom firmware for mods called Arctic Fox. They have a compatibility list, and the eleaf istick pico 75w is on that list.

https://nfeteam.org/ check Compatibility section

I've never installed it, but some people really like it for the profiles and different TC options. I'm liking my stock firmware so far quite a bit, but I might try it out in a couple weeks.

acolyte,

Gazaam

I had my method down pretty well with the TAF SAI to where waste was minimal and so was splatter. I have been able to mimic this with the Triton very easily.

Can you please share your method for the Triton?

Gazaam,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Can you please share your method for the Triton?
I would check the Triton thread. I give more detail there but basically I load about 0.1 gram and use TCR Ni at 285-295 with 22ish watts. I hold the button for 6-8 seconds and vapor maximus. Sometimes it might take a couple extra seconds on a completely cold fire up.

This is on the quartz 1701 of course. I usually get 6-8 hits before I start getting flavor deterioration. The wax I have been using goes in golden almost. By the time flavor starts to go the wax looks dark brown like its going to turn to black almost.

nosmoking,

sarkunit

OK, I had a episode of AAS (atomizer acquisition syndrome ) and got the QQ right away. It hits like a beast when you get all things right, but get one of those things wrong and you get spatter or waste. It is still quite good, and I would recommend it to a tinker or perfectionist. I especially appreciate the delicate design and flexibility in heat up. It is also very well made, and the company that sells it (DT) was quick to fullfill). Over all it was a great first buying experience. Alas, it did not quite fit the bill, so I will be ordering the Triton OS. It turns out it isn't going to be one or the other, I'm getting BOTH:rockon:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I would say they are very close in performance. Its just a little less harsh and extra flavor on the Triton. It may be minimal but its still noticable for me. The Triton is the only system with quartz cup that actually works as good or better than the SAI. I had my method down pretty well with the TAF SAI to where waste was minimal and so was splatter. I have been able to mimic this with the Triton very easily. All the other quartz devices (motar, source nail, QQ, etc.) create splatter and waste a good bit of your wax or ruin the flavor before you can get 4 or 5 or 6 hits from it.

Love my TAF Sai Ti/Skillet combo and will get the Triton when I can just get it with 1701
only Quartz & or Ceramic. Looks like a great device designed by good peeps who care.
I got 3 TAF Sai's for $99 shipped with Ti/Bucket combo installed.
My buddy who now has given up combustion because he loves the present, gets him
more ripped than smoking, tastier, Easy to use for him even (totally Noob).
So I agree with you completely & disagree at the same time, lol.

Anyone tried just putting the Quartz or Ceramic insert cups into the heater
(flatter, closer to heat source transfer) than in the peaked TI not flat skillet?
Like to hear if anyone tried this and results?

Hey nosmoken what settings do you use on your motar? curious ?
Waht kind of wire, are you did you use watts & what temp?
For $15 that is fun to play with and as easy to clean as the Sai Ti cup with water.
I put in on my DNA75 Lavabox m on ni200 relaxed (ramp to 38wts down to temp)
20sec hold sipping all nice vapor with finger carb. I use a 4" whip glass mouthpiece
I designed to see vapor flow on All my Donuts & Buckets. My eyes tell me when
temp & vape thick is perfect. I learned TC by observing vape flow & thickness, trail
& error, setting TCR's in 30# increments ect till got it perfect. Then leave it on that
mod & try another mod with a diff setup. Love to get a Triton 1701 futurewise.

I am home getting ripped a lot & not so much when out. But watching vapor from 6-8 "
in a glass globe from a Sai orDonut atty, I can hand it to a Noob & just tell them watch the vapor & suck a little harder or sip a little softer while holding this button.
1 session and no more combustion, they get high. No fuss, no instructions, just watch.
When you take whip off mouthpiece you know by feel how to pull by repeated muscle memory , lol. Kind of training wheels for Noobs without stress, can't fail, make first pass of the Mod a GREAT One, not sketchy & I didn't feel anything, lol.
This works for me and many converts to Vaping.

Top Bottom