PTC ceramic heating elements.

k.neo

Hi.
I have come across these ptc ceramic heating elements while sourcing parts for my next iteration of a vape, and it might be almost ideal for the task.
These heating elements are self regulating, as temperature rises, the resistance increases and current flow is reduced thus limiting the heat output.
So as I read the specs I notice that the shutoff range for such elements is near 200c which could be ideal for vaping, experimentation needed.
The basic structure is just a ceramic bar sandwiched between 2 metalic electrodes, some heating elements are built with small fins others are "encapsulated" in an aluminum jacket. I am inclining for the finned version, like this:

images

(Notice the ceramic elements in the middle between the disipators.)

100w - 200w element could be used, preferably in mains voltage, the basic design could be an enclosure of some sort, maybe ceramic/alumina tube with the heating element inside, a mesh screen somewhere above for the substance to vape. Some tube attached for inhaling.
No regulation, just plug into the mains voltage source.
Thats the basic idea.

I am not sure if these are voltage dependant, they are specified in volts 12/24/110/220v. A long one coud fit in a ceramic tube, a square shaped one could be used too, havent seen round ones.
Ofcourse mains voltage is a bit dangerous but the overall simplicity of the design is quite appealing, just plugin and in 1-2 mins puff.

Last edited:
k.neo,
Reactions: Farid
Top Bottom