• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Post-Processing Rosin - Your wish, after the squish

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
It's interesting, different terpenes will have different boiling points, some much lower than others. Knowing how the storage temp affects terpenes gives you insight on how you want to proceed further.

You can press a lot to save time and have a lager batch, or you can press a little and get more of the more volatile terpenes to vape.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Thca seems very stable sealed at room temp for months.
No terps to really lose so consistency and potency seem stable.
I know this cuz I found batch I had forgotten about from March today.
Only after pressing a new batch of course.
Been adjusting how I make it today I went for 45 minutes total time in the press and started temp at 140 f. and stopped at 155 f.
Used rosin from Kieff in 25 micron bags with very gentle,slow pressure the gauge barely moves.
Yield came back at 45% which is my personal best so far.
Triple bagged and packaged tight as hell

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Ah. OK. For some reason I always associated the word Kief with powdered weed... probably what was sold as Kief in the streets in Morocco at some point.

this:
In Morocco, kief also refers to a traditional mix of finely-chopped marijuana and indigenous tobacco which is distinctly different from trichome powder and usually smoked in a long pipe called a sebsi

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So, is it the general consensus in here that cured, aged or post processed rosin will always be better than fresh pressed?

Definitely not.

The post processing thing, for the most part is frankly a joke. I see so many people heating up their rosin and they don’t even know what they are trying to do.

The “cold cured hash rosin” is pretty sweet though.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I assumed post processed was kieff and cured was the flower used I see my reading comprehension was way off there.
I do not heat or manipulate the rosin after pressing.

shredder

So, is it the general consensus in here that cured, aged or post processed rosin will always be better than fresh pressed?

In general and for flower I'd agree. But rosin has a way of surprising people frequently.

Terpenes are higher in fresh, thca as well. But rosin from aged buds seems smoother to me. I guess it's all good, lol.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The post processing thing, for the most part is frankly a joke. I see so many people heating up their rosin and they don’t even know what they are trying to do.

It was definitely unknown territory. When I started this thread I had in my mind that post-processing was a way to change the consistancy of the rosin for the better. And better is in the eye of the beholder. At the time I was looking for a way to convert my sappy rosin into something more like a wax or budder for ease of use and loading into vapes. I was not looking to cure or somehow improve the flavor or smoothness of the rosin. I haven't messed with post-processing my rosin in awhile, maybe because the buds I've been using are forming a more managable consistancy. Also, I did not have very much luck in getting my sappy rosin to crystalize or change texture. It usually would stay the same way it started. The times that it did change texture, I don't know what factors caused it. Everyone's MMV.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It was definitely unknown territory. When I started this thread I had in my mind that post-processing was a way to change the consistancy of the rosin for the better. And better is in the eye of the beholder. At the time I was looking for a way to convert my sappy rosin into something more like a wax or budder for ease of use and loading into vapes. I was not looking to cure or somehow improve the flavor or smoothness of the rosin. I haven't messed with post-processing my rosin in awhile, maybe because the buds I've been using are forming a more managable consistancy. Also, I did not have very much luck in getting my sappy rosin to crystalize or change texture. It usually would stay the same way it started. The times that it did change texture, I don't know what factors caused it. Everyone's MMV.

I was just thinking that I see all these posts on Reddit of people cooking their flower rosin after pressing, and they don’t even know what they are trying to change: I just wanna speak up and say that it’s not necessary!

This thread has been very useful to document the process of altering rosin, especially when it started last year, but I feel like now that there’s more experience in the collective rosin community we can recognize that post processing isn’t needed unless you’re trying to do something really specific such as isolate THCA, grow diamonds, or make cartridges. All of which have their own specialized process. The latter two being the ones that people really want to try, but most simply don’t have the material quality/quantity to properly attempt them as they should really only be done with high grade hash IMO. All of that rosin post processing is very “boutique” and pretty much a guaranteed low yield process that people should be aware of if they really want to try these things.

:2c:

shredder

I was just thinking that I see all these posts on Reddit of people cooking their flower rosin after pressing, and they don’t even know what they are trying to change: I just wanna speak up and say that it’s not necessary!

This thread has been very useful to document the process of altering rosin, especially when it started last year, but I feel like now that there’s more experience in the collective rosin community we can recognize that post processing isn’t needed unless you’re trying to do something really specific such as isolate THCA, grow diamonds, or make cartridges. All of which have their own specialized process. The latter two being the ones that people really want to try, but most simply don’t have the material quality/quantity to properly attempt them as they should really only be done with high grade hash IMO. All of that rosin post processing is very “boutique” and pretty much a guaranteed low yield process that people should be aware of if they really want to try these things.

:2c:

The good news is even if you fuck it up, you can still eat it, lol. I mixed my winterized rso with rosin as an experiment that ended in brownies. And rosin does very well in medibles. I think the terpenes add another dimension.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Great points Inverted!

I have always been less interested in post-processing, and more interested in how aging/curing affects rosin.

If I press "X" strain today. Is it best:

a) Right away, and stays fresh for a few days.

b) Aged (for how long?), sealed and stored in a climate controlled space.

c) Aged (for how long?), unsealed in a climate controlled space.

d) Aged (for how long?), sealed in a cold fridge or freezer.

I'd imagine leaving unsealed will allow any excessive H20 to escape, but there are so many ways to skin a cat... thoughts?

Terpenes are higher in fresh, thca as well. But rosin from aged buds seems smoother to me. I guess it's all good, lol.

I was not so much comparing aged versus fresh buds, but more focused on what to do "after the squish." Do you want to age rosin like wine, or consume like a ripe tomato? I dunno...

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
The “cold cured hash rosin” is pretty sweet though.

The Persy Sauce from 710 Labs is soooo tasty, and wonderful that it's so much more stable at room temp.

Have you ever had success cold curing your own live rosin? I'd be curious to know the process behind it. Also why more people don't do it, as opposed to the warm jar tech.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The Persy Sauce from 710 Labs is soooo tasty, and wonderful that it's so much more stable at room temp.

Have you ever had success cold curing your own live rosin? I'd be curious to know the process behind it. Also why more people don't do it, as opposed to the warm jar tech.

I think more people do jar tech for the diamond novelty, but once you’ve had diamonds a few times and realize there’s really nothing special about them the process becomes less precious. The Percy sauce is really enjoyable, though I have to admit I’m most into the water hash these days!

Honestly I don’t think there’s really much to the cold cure outside of using great starting material and just giving it enough time to do it’s thing, especially if trying to get that signature “wet batter” consistency. Wish I had more advice but truthfully I haven’t been dabbing that much this year since I started building flower vapes.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I think more people do jar tech for the diamond novelty, but once you’ve had diamonds a few times and realize there’s really nothing special about them the process becomes less precious. The Percy sauce is really enjoyable, though I have to admit I’m most into the water hash these days!

Honestly I don’t think there’s really much to the cold cure outside of using great starting material and just giving it enough time to do it’s thing, especially if trying to get that signature “wet batter” consistency. Wish I had more advice but truthfully I haven’t been dabbing that much this year since I started building flower vapes.

I bought some diamonds and sauce about a year ago. Those diamonds were way too intense for me. In fact, like last night, I have to be careful with my concentrate intake because I can quickly send myself into an anxiety attack. Last night I was vaping some purple punch badder which I have been enjoying for a few weeks now. But I starting hitting on it like it was flower vaping and I ended up not enjoying the rest of the evening.

I got a dabpress and started pressing rosin a few years ago when concentrates were pretty scarce around here. Now I only do it when I have lesser grade buds that I don't want to vape as flower or as a novelty. Concentrates have become cheap enough around here that I can buy them for the same price as making rosin myself. It would cost me about $35-40 to press enough flower to get a gram of rosin. I can sometimes buy rosin at 30-40 a gram, and now there are other varieties like budders, sauces and shatter for a similar price. I have yet to find bubble hash, but will jump on it when it appears. Live resin carts are like $40 for a half gram.

shredder

I was not so much comparing aged versus fresh buds, but more focused on what to do "after the squish." Do you want to age rosin like wine, or consume like a ripe tomato? I dunno

In my experience it's best to just keep out what your going to use in the next week or two. Eventually it breaks down a bit and becomes like grease. As a grower/caregiver I try to keep a wide selection out, so if I don't use enough it breaks down. Breaking down doesn't effect the taste or buzz noticably but it's disappointing to see your cake batter, or budder now grease.

Refrigerating or freezing stalls this process. I store for long term in mylar zip lock bags and use oxygen scavenger packs.

For not so long term I use our fridge. Even if it gets hard usually in a few minutes it softens enough for use.

I use both glass and silicone containers. I prefer glass but most of my patients prefer silicone.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I heat my extracts simply to make them not shatter but butter. :shrug:

One of these days I would love to find the time to write a little something about hype and downright BS in the cannabis scene... herp derp look at my diamonds man! herp derp

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I find my room temperature has more to do with whether or not I have shatter (room under 15c= shatter for me) or pull'n'snap when the room is above 15c.
I would like to try the THC isolate trick one day...when I can be fucked!
I only reheat my rosin collected to about 35c so I can stir it all with a hot dabber to make the rosin a flat and a consistent mixture/texture.

Last edited:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Seems they love cold cured rosin. But I could not listen to everything yet.

A lot of these after squish procedures seem to be here mostly for commercial enterprises to present something new or to have a somehow distinguishable and stable product in the market.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Seems they love cold cured rosin. But I could not listen to everything yet.

A lot of these after squish procedures seem to be here mostly for commercial enterprises to present something new or to have a somehow distinguishable and stable product in the market.

I’ve been making a lot of lemonade lately, one thing I quickly noticed is the lemonade gets considerably better after it sits around overnight. Found this article which mentions oxidized terpenes actually being perceived as more flavorful in some circumstances. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6429-when-fresh-squeezed-isnt-best

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I’ve been making a lot of lemonade lately, one thing I quickly noticed is the lemonade gets considerably better after it sits around overnight. Found this article which mentions oxidized terpenes actually being perceived as more flavorful in some circumstances. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6429-when-fresh-squeezed-isnt-best
Very interesting.
They say 6h is perfect for lemons, but 0h for oranges.

When doing sirups and jelly/jam I also encountered this phenomenon.
Should be the same for cannabis-terpenes too.
But I remember a fruity smelling rosin that turned to a vinegar smell which could be aerated away again luckily.

I wonder if there is a way to tell in advance if a rosin would profit of some oxidation or something?
Like when the bud gets better with a long cure, maybe the rosin of the same strain also likes to sit a bit?

Btw The bud to the vinegar rosin never smelled like vinegar. It needed the trichomes to melt to do that.

Top Bottom