Phedor

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Has anyone seen this?

13ye990.jpg

http://www.phedor.com/
US$150 ( a bit steep..... :/ )

I know it's just a simple ceramic heating element (right?), but I never even thought of this before.

I guess it is made by the Wicked Roots company (Vapezilla). It's probably pretty easy to burn your herbs, but it seems like a good introduction to some who like big hits and might be bong enthusiasts. ;)

Anyone use one?

I wonder if a battery pack would be possible -- or even a hand crank!!! Imagine that portability! :lol:

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
Has anyone seen this?

http://i35.tinypic.com/13ye990.jpg

http://www.phedor.com/
US$150 ( a bit steep..... :/ )

I know it's just a simple ceramic heating element (right?), but I never even thought of this before.

I guess it is made by the Wicked Roots company (Vapezilla). It's probably pretty easy to burn your herbs, but it seems like a good introduction to some who like big hits and might be bong enthusiasts. ;)

Anyone use one?

I wonder if a battery pack would be possible -- or even a hand crank!!! Imagine that portability! :lol:
that=hakko dash /thread

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
US$150 ( a bit steep.....
A lot steep. Get a $30-40 soldering iron with a ceramic element, strip it down to the element and you've got the same thing. :/

max,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ya, a bunch of people got this thinking that at that price it was wireless, but wicked roots failed to say anywhere or show any pictures of it with a cord, that very dishonest advertising if you ask me, and another reason to stay away from wicked roots

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
Hennessy1414 said:
Clear_Dome said:
I got one from ebay at 8$ and work like a phedor LOL
really i tried that and it would never get hot enough. link please my good sir!:cool:
LOL search I ever post it somewere ...LOL it get hot enough to ignite a bowl in a second ...?! so yes it's hot enought to vaporize

Clear_Dome,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
CDs is a ceramic soldering iron if I'm not mistaken. Yup, an $8 phedor. :tup:

Wicked Roots - :disgust: :disgust: :disgust:

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
And just for the record, the Phedor is sold as an alternative to flame ignition. It's a combustion tool by design. Makes you wonder how much of a markup the SuperVapezilla has on it.

vtac,

Purple-Days

Way back, the Phedor looked interesting to me. The exposed HOT materials and care needed with that, it looks like a problem for my lifestyle, maybe not for others. But I still see a place for something of this style.

Two things were in my mind when it looked interesting. Vapor and combustion byproducts (what the Phedor intends to avoid). Somewhere there is an indication of getting vape temps without combustion (in addition to using it as a flameless lighter). Maybe by regulating the distance.

I got a refillable jet flame butane and started holding it high. Getting vapor in my bong and good taste but it was iffy with the flame. So I thought the Phedor would be more controlled and adapted to this sort of tech without the flame and for $8 . . . wow :lol: , I believe it.

What wattage soldering iron?

Oh he!!. Couldn't stand it any longer. Been soldering while composing.

After cooling I took the tip retainer off and took out the tip of my Weller WES51 variable temp station, ESO SAFE, BTW. OK, the PD vapor tip just fits the solder tip end and doesn't really go in. I thought this can't work cause I have no air path to heat. Turned the thing on anyway... it gets hot quick with a flashing led to let you know the temp (variable 0-900F) so I thought go for it and jacked it all the way to the 90 mark. Oh yeah, oh works, way too hot for me but I avoided combystion. Need lower temps which is an easy fix with some ecperimenting. If I was serious I would drill a few air holes further down the soldering iron tub and then you get the air path. For $100 it's variable and has an auto shut off. http://www.toolbarn.com/product/weller/WES51/ nice soldering tool too... :)

wfit: screw the typos. :lol:

Purple-Days,

kaleimud

Illiterate Baffoon
I hope nobody will consider it rude to reply to such an ancient thread, but I really like the Phedor.

First I am not a big fan of WR and I do consider the Phedor to be grossly overpriced. I have no experience with the infamous Hakko mod, but I am told that it works about as well.

For many years, I tried to toast bowls with a lighter, holding it a distance away from the bud in the bowl while inhaling and trying not to let the flame directly touch the herb. It becomes almost an art form, something you do automatically as part of your smoking ritual. The Phedor made that SO much easier to regulate and it eliminates butane. Adding an A/C cord is a major turn-off, but the result is worth it IMHO, especially for solid concentrates. That is where the Phedor shines, IMHO - smoking powder and solids off a Ti screen on a flat bowl (like the R1 Concentrate).

WR seem to imply that the Phedor is doing some sort of vaporization, and we all know that isn't really the case. It CAN be used to sorta vaporize in the same way a lighter can be, but for the most part, the Phedor is just a tool for directing combustion. It allows you a lot more control of exactly how a bowl burns, but for the most part, it burns.

I strongly think there is a place for the Phedor (or Hakko) in the cannabisour's kit, but it belongs next to lighters and matches and beeline. It is a great tool for those of us who really enjoy our meds.

Now if they can do it with an internal power supply and make it heat up and cool down instantly, it would be well worth the price.

kaleimud,
Top Bottom