• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Personal Electric Vehicles

Farid

Anyone here into personal electric vehicles? EBikes, Electric Unicycles (EUCs), scooters, one wheels, boosted boards, that sort of thing?

I got into electric unicycles on a whim, when I tried a friend's. The riding experience reminds me a lot of skiing, bit without the chairlifts and the cold.

I want to try some of the other PEVs, but I've stuck with EUCs so far because they've got great milage and speed stats. They do look ridiculous though, but with the full face helmet nobody can recognize me haha.

Farid

I started looking into ebikes for my parents and I found the same thing, I was paralyzed by options. Though it seems the general consensus is that building a bike will get you the best ratio of quality and price.

The nice thing about choosing an EUC is that there are only a handful of companies, and all the offerings have pretty distinct differences. The big downside is that user serviceability is very difficult compared to EBikes, since everything is proprietary.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I rocked a little neighborhood scooter for a few years; I loved it for a joyride or commuting when I could avoid all major roads.

I had a SuperTurbo1000 from SuperScooterSales.com. Got a HELLUVA deal on it from a friend ($300) and I totally regret ever selling it. It was 36v and could move weight around with no issue. Smooth ride, thick cushion on the seat and held a long charge.

MikeRotchHertz

It never even occured to me to build my own to save money. I may revisit that option but I'm sure it's a rabbit's hole. I'm also no where no cool enough for a unicycle, barely cool enough for two wheels

vaporculture

I ride an old electric skateboard from Metro-Board. I got it in 2009 or 2010 when I lived in Portland, Oregon (where the owner/creator makes them). Used to ride it all over the city to do errands, taking mainly the side streets. A lot of fun, except during the phase where we were testing the software that controlled the bluetooth (it is an old Wii controller that syncs to it).

Originally, the software was programmed to immediately apply the regenerative braking system if communication ever went down between the Wii and the board, so the board wouldn't cruise away uncontrolled. Unfortunately, the biggest factor for loss of communication between controller and board besides distance, was the "noise" from the motor when it was being driven hard -- for example, bombing down a hill. The first time I found out about this, I was loaded up with groceries, and headed home, going downhill at full speed. Suddenly I felt the board yanked out from beneath my feet.

It wasn't pretty, but I picked myself up and worked with him on some software modification ideas, and the next iteration had a three-beep warning system built in before the brakes engaged, and the brakes were gradually applied over a few seconds rather than all at once. At least I then I had a chance to ride it out.

Unbelievably, that board still runs well today. Same Lithium Ion batteries, same motor, same controller. The range is quite a bit shorter, (used to be 10-15 miles) but it still goes strong and tops out at about 19mph.

I know that the company has continued to improve the experience, and the new boards don't have controller communication issues, and they run at 30+ mph and have a 30 mile range. Plus, they are all terrain or street capable with a change of the wheels. I have only positive things to say about Metro-Board, and that's after I've eaten concrete riding one.

If anyone has the $$$ and wants a thrill, I say go for it.

Farid

I ride a Ninebot Z10, which is a few years old now. I've probably racked up about 1000 miles on it just fooling around, never commuted with it. This video captures what it's like to ride (though I cringe seeing him ride without a helmet)

Some wheels now can go 50mph, and get like 40+ miles on a charge. In the past 3 years the technology has come a long way, with bigger batteries and suspension becoming popular. When I ride with my friends I'm always getting passed, since I max out at 28mph.

Scooters too seem to have come a long way, with bigger wheels, suspension, and great stats as well. I'd like to try em, but my fear with scooters, and boards in general is that the smaller wheels means less clearance for potholes. And living in New England the pot holes are awful.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Showed this to the Mrs. saying I want.
Got yelled at longtime doesn't seem like that's in my future.
I ride a Ninebot Z10, which is a few years old now. I've probably racked up about 1000 miles on it just fooling around, never commuted with it. This video captures what it's like to ride (though I cringe seeing him ride without a helmet)

Some wheels now can go 50mph, and get like 40+ miles on a charge. In the past 3 years the technology has come a long way, with bigger batteries and suspension becoming popular. When I ride with my friends I'm always getting passed, since I max out at 28mph.

Scooters too seem to have come a long way, with bigger wheels, suspension, and great stats as well. I'd like to try em, but my fear with scooters, and boards in general is that the smaller wheels means less clearance for potholes. And living in New England the pot holes are awful.

Farid

If price is her holdup there's a strong resale market, if you're willing to get an older model you can cop one for like $500-1000

But if safety is her concern there's no alleviating that haha. These things are dangerous. Though I'd argue they're safer than scooters in many ways and they're definitely safer than one wheels at equal speeds

The rider in that video is also riding incredibly recklessly. Showing her a video of a safer rider could make a difference. This guy Duf on YouTube is a very conservative rider, staying in bike lanes and avoiding dangerous interactions. Here's one of his videos

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

My new whip! Just picked up my first e-bike and I am smitten. Ride1up is the brand. I Got it for the sole purpose of commuting which for me is only 8 miles round trip. it's so fun I wish my commute was longer. It has a belt drive which is really nice to see, concealed battery, an understated stealth look, super light weight.
IMG-20210804-194312.jpg

Only issue is it's a single speed, which is fine in ebike form if you live in a flat area. It wouldnt be the right choice in a very hilly area. But I still have my 27 speed bike for that.

Last edited:

west-elec

I recently upgraded my 250w hybrid ebike and got a 1000w fat mountain bike, but my son has taken full time possession of it because it is so much fun.
I had to get myself a second hand 750w to be able to keep up. It has been great for getting him outside away from his screens and was worth the high price. How lucky are kids today?...
We live in a hilly area and while we always had regular bikes we rarely used them, but now we go out every day.
I have found since the lockdowns people got all keen and bought ebikes, but haven't used them. They are now selling them looking for cash and you can get a bargain.
Alternatively Bafang make awesome motors that just bolt onto the bottom bracket and look dead easy to build, plenty of YouTube videos.
Be careful with all the power and speed. There have been a flood of ebike and escooter admissions to hospital since those hire ones started appearing on the streets. Not a good idea to grab one of them to get home from a big night out.
Booze and bikes don't mix, but buds and bikes is totally different, see the athlete vaporist thread.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Any of y'all get into gopeds?

I had one for a bit, was so damn fun but tiresome working on and tuning the engine... my 30cc Baja 5t and 60cc RC planes are far less finicky.

I tried the lithium goped once and it was a monster, but WAY overpriced giving a real poor sense of value.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Farid

I tried an Ebike for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was a lot of fun. Very different from the EUC. Having braking allows you to decelerate so quickly, and the feeling when you accelerate feels like being pulled forward. On an EUC there is no mechanical braking, just decelerating. It makes for a very different riding style. I still prefer the EUC, but the bikes have some features that blow the EUC away - specifically the ability to remove the battery. I'd be hesitant to lock an EUC up at work, but with an EBike you can remove the battery and bring it to your desk.

Now they just need to make a personal hovercraft with a half decent air time

MinnBobber

I am all in on E bikes as I love regular road bikes and a quality E bike is like love x2

They are just so fun and practical….vastly expanding the fun factor and the utility factor.

I have a road E bike so no front or rear suspension BUT the E bikes bigger volume tires let me cruise over stuff that would make my butt pucker on my road racer-boy bikes. 🚴

Mine only assists with motor when you are pedaling so bike path legal.

Try to test ride one and you will likely catch the E bike fever.

Top Bottom