• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Other flame-based devices besides Vapman

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Two semi related questions:
Through using the vapman I understand why fire is better than batteries or electricity at producing delicious vapor.
Fire is the real source and batteries and electricity are alternatives to the original source of power.
There's a big difference once you understand how to use it.
So, with that, aside from the fact that we all love are vapmans, what other fire powered vaporizers do you love?
While shopping for the j-hook and browsing the oconnellwoodworks site, I liked the look and vibe of their "therapy devices."
Any experience or recommendations for his vaporizers? Anyone ever try the noisy cricket or the other models?
If so how does it compare with vapman?

Second question: What are the health risks dealing with butane? Is there a way to mitigate the concerns? Face masks and gloves?

Thanks.

TooHightooFly52

Through using the vapman I understand why fire is better than batteries or electricity at producing delicious vapor.
Fire is the real source and batteries and electricity are alternatives to the original source of power.
So, with that, aside from the fact that we all love are vapmans, what other fire powered vaporizers do you love?
While shopping for the j-hook and browsing the oconnellwoodworks site, I liked the look and vibe of their "therapy devices."
Any experience or recommendations for his vaporizers? Anyone ever try the noisy cricket or the other models?

Second question: What are the health risks dealing with butane? Is there a way to mitigate the concerns? Face masks and gloves?

Thanks.
So my torch powered devices are: Vapman (OG Pure Pear tree and new basic Olive), Dynavap (like 8 now), Elev8r, Nova, OHV, and the Bong Sook Shin (BSS). I'll be honest, my body and brain have a disagreement when it comes to the Nova, OHV and BSS. I love the effects I get, they do hit hard - I would say close to desktop level. Every single time after using them, I would have a slight wheeze when I would inhale and exhale - something I do not get from other vapes. If you can handle the direct inhale from butane then you would like these vapes. If I had to keep one, it would be the bong sook shin because it is a water piece and I have a jet waterpipe that cools the vapor significantly.

So what I love about the Vapman is the overall experience from the ritual aspect to overall safety. With the Vapman, I focus on how my flower is laid out in the crucible, then focus on torch placement and duration, then I look out my window as I partake. It's a very rewarding experience.

With the others, there is exposed hot glass, which I've gotten burned a few times and you're really just treating the device like a bowl that you're not combusting in if that makes sense.

Edit: As far as which one I like best. I want to say OHV because its so beautiful (Spalted Maple) BUT I never could get super good hits on the device. The Nova is truly an awesome vape that feels more like a complete package you know? plus it has it's own carrying case and is a really nice vape - definitely get the augmented glass though that is a game changer.

Last edited:

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Edit: As far as which one I like best. I want to say OHV because its so beautiful (Spalted Maple) BUT I never could get super good hits on the device. The Nova is truly an awesome vape that feels more like a complete package you know? plus it has it's own carrying case and is a really nice vape - definitely get the augmented glass though that is a game changer.

Thank you. You're right, with the vapman, you're not inhaling while shooting butane into the unit, you inhale afterwards which must be safer in terms of health concerns, logically. That goes for the dynavap as well, although i have virtually no experience with it yet.
But what about the fueling up of the lighters and the release of remaining butane before refilling, and in my case with a smaller lighter it's required at least twice a day? That can't be good for you.

Squidge

Butane powered
Now onto other things...
...So, with that, aside from the fact that we all love are vapmans, what other fire powered vaporizers do you love?...
I have three Dynavaps (let's be honest, who doesn't have a Dynavap? Lol) and a Sticky Brick Jr. They're certainly different to the Vapman but they all have a place in the rotation (but Vapman is still my favourite)
...Second question: What are the health risks dealing with butane? Is there a way to mitigate the concerns? Face masks and gloves?...
As far as inhaling butane goes, as long as the lighter is working properly (flame is blue with no sputtering), and you're using quality butane (butane bought from a smoke/cigar shop, not from a camping store) you should be fine.

Some people recommend lighting the jet torch a second or two before applying it to the flame intake in order to make sure it's consuming the butane with maximum efficiency.

There are threads that discuss which butane is best for these devices on FC already.

But what about the fueling up of the lighters and the release of remaining butane before refilling, and in my case with a smaller lighter it's required at least twice a day?
When purging and refilling your lighters, it is recommended that you are in a well ventilated space, away from naked flames. If you feel safer doing this outdoors, do so.

Personally, unless I'm purging a large amount, or the fill nozzle doesn't fit the lighter correctly, I'm ok doing this inside as the amount of butane expelled into the atmosphere is minimal.

I also wait a couple of minutes before using the refilled lighter again. (Which you should do anyway to allow the lighter to come back up to ambient temperature.)

I've experienced a tightening in my breathing a few times, but I've had it with the Dynavap as well as the SBJr - I've put this down to the vapour being hotter and the amount inhaled being larger than I'm used to.

Hope this helps alay your concerns.

Regards

mod note: post split to move off-topic content

Last edited by a moderator:

rollerskater

i would be more worried about your pets! butane is heavier than air so any leakage will fall to the floor!

but while i would not purge my lighter directly over my cat's head, i would still not be too worried: "the solution to pollution is dilution" and a small amount of butane will quickly diffuse into the air! keep in mind also many of us use butane-fuelled hobs to prepare meals and so on, but butane burns cleanly and decomposes into co2 and h2o! it is true that you might end up with some co and h2o instead, but consider that your fireplace produces many times more co than your tiny torch lighter! yes, we vent our fireplaces to the outside, but you can still sit next to one, even with the door open, and not get co poisoning!

tl;dr: don't huff the stuff, but filling your lighter is unlikely to hurt you!

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks, I empty and refill in my kitchen which has an exhaust fan.
There's some leakage as I'm filling but I wear the cheap covid protection gloves they sell on the street along with a mask.
I think the gloves are important if you know there's going to be leakage as the cold gas hits your hands.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Thanks, I empty and refill in my kitchen which has an exhaust fan.
There's some leakage as I'm filling but I wear the cheap covid protection gloves they sell on the street along with a mask.
I think the gloves are important if you know there's going to be leakage as the cold gas hits your hands.
Damn, you really go far eh? I just purge the tank and plunge the refill in it. I’ve got “leakage” on my hands more times than I can count and there’s definitely not a risk of harm.

mod note: post split to move off-topic content

Last edited by a moderator:

coolbreeze

Thanks.
I have a bunch of these, and the only problem I have had at all, health-wise, is that I'm sensitive to some woods and I can't vape out of them (rosewoods, fwiw). They are fantastic devices that go from flavor-sipping to skull-blasting with simple adjustments in technique. I will cosign on the OWWs, which are fantastic, as well as SBLs. But I'd really like to mention the Lamart Piro, if you use a water piece, or one of the Dreamwood (DLX One, DLX M, DLX Pro) on-glass vapes: they're simple, flavorful, mostly-glass vapor paths. Also, Dreamwood just updated their Punch hand-helds and they look amazing. I have an ancient version that works great, and a Dobby mod (the Double Punch) that's even better. These European makers often get lost in the shuffle because their primary products are very popular battery vapes, but their torch vapes are amazing, as well.

Finally, you could get an elev8r bowl and a Rogue WaxWorks TED funnel and make a Roguev8r, for great success.

I empty and refill in my kitchen which has an exhaust fan.
If you do it over the sink, the sink may fill with gas...I made a fireball in the kitchen once as a result of the settling gas + the stove. Make sure your fan is on!

Last edited:

breiter_fighter

There is also the Vaponic, which is fragile but has a really intense and pure flavour. I really love this device...
I also owned a Dreamwood Dobby, but I sold it. It's a beautiful one, but I disliked the butane inhaling.

Did someone mentioned the Vaporgenie (I hope I didn't misspelled it)? I don't have an opinion on this one because I never tried it.

So my personal favorite list:
1. Vapman
2. Vaponic
3. Good old Dynavap

I also would like to try an Anvil someday. And the elev8er I never tried as well. Still so many vapes to try in life :clap:

coolbreeze

And the elev8er I never tried as well.
Torch elev8r is
Chefs Kiss GIF by Padma Lakshmi
. Also, Dreamwood Roasties!

I just got a vaponic but I haven't tried it yet...maybe today!

coolbreeze

I...got a little aggressive on my initial heating, and I can verify that a Vaponic bowl can be cleared in one go. Not recommended for flavor, though.

Better give it another try.
Sorry for the third post, but I wanted to share an observation or perhaps raise a question: my second try was still a bit dark (but not bad), and I think what it is is that I expect it to perform like a Roasty, but it seems like the outer glass creates a bit of a lag, and the inner roasting tube will become hotter during the first hit than the color of the weed suggests, thus roasting more than you might expect. I'm not sure if the inner glass is just catching up to the outter glass or if the toke pulls in more heat than expected judging from the color, but I probably should go watch a vid and refine my technique. In any case, it seems like a great little device so I ain't giving up--I want those tasty hits!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Sorry for the third post, but I wanted to share an observation or perhaps raise a question: my second try was still a bit dark (but not bad), and I think what it is is that I expect it to perform like a Roasty, but it seems like the outer glass creates a bit of a lag, and the inner roasting tube will become hotter during the first hit than the color of the weed suggests, thus roasting more than you might expect. I'm not sure if the inner glass is just catching up to the outter glass or if the toke pulls in more heat than expected judging from the color, but I probably should go watch a vid and refine my technique. In any case, it seems like a great little device so I ain't giving up--I want those tasty hits!

Maybe you can get one of those 510 heaters for it??

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Sticky Bricks!!!!!!
Hydrobrick Maxx, FTW!!!

I think it was decided in another thread that every human should have a Dynavap, an OG Brick, and a Vapman as basic kit to face the world. And a towel, of course.

Supreme SV3; an aluminum monster!
I wonder if the Italian dudes would consider diversifying... They could revive the Lotus, of course, as well!

Last edited:

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
For this year’s 4/20, I’ve narrowed it down to the Dreamwood Dobby vs the OWW Micro, with the Dobby holding the edge for not having that oddball stir/tamp tool. Then I saw a blurry pic of the Micro V4 on Reddit— to me it looks a bit like a Sticky Brick Junior Junior. Which would be amazing.

So now I’m waiting to see what OWW comes out with and hoping Dan taps me for a Toad in the meantime. And of course there’s the Anvil. I’ve also become more than a little taken by the Vapman. Loving those contrast-grain olive woods. So maybe instead of a butane brick, I’ll land on a butane egg or cylinder. Or a Toad.

Win win win win... except in the wallet.

Choices

@jeffp I know from reading the VB1 thread you enjoy yours a great deal. In the limited time I’ve used my VB1 I have noticed some of the strong hits from using my OHV
Micro bear a strong resemblance to the VB1 hits. It has a bigger bowl so filled with a thin layer it can do amazing things once dialed in. Someone else mentioned the Lotus which is a favorite of mine for flavor. Anymore I only use my Vapman with my beloved Station so perhaps my views are somewhat skewed. Good luck with your search. You may ultimately end up with one of each!

coolbreeze

I was actually thinking about MistVape, he was making one specifically for the vaponic, of course he's not doing that anymore, but maybe you can run one down!
I think I found it? Thank you for setting me on it--I need to read that thread.

Edit: Watched a vid, tried it again, and I can recommend the Vaponic! Tastes amazing native (like, seriously amazing); great through water!

Last edited:

ejackyou

Hamilton

Thanks.
knew kid on the block! 'Anvil' by Vestrato, totally Canadian made, I have 5 VapCaps, blows them away! Not that they aren't very good, also have S&B Volcano 'Digit' and the 'Plenty' and Solo II, the 'Anvil' is now definitely My Fav! ☮️🇺🇦

Top Bottom