Originally wanted a PD, looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvertigo

I've been smoking for about a year, and wanted to get into vaping. I bought a MFLB and loved it for awhile, but I feel that the battery situation is too cumbersome and it is very difficult to vape with friends due to battery, learning curve, and bowl size.

I read some stuff about the PD and it sounded great but apparently it is no longer being sold?

With the overwhelming number of choices, I'm looking for a few recommendations. criteria I'm focusing on:

-safety first, good materials and clean vape path
-size, a lot of cupholder sized ones catch my eye
-sharing a bit, I want to be able to smoke with just 2-3 people
-efficiency, how high it gets you per mass but i'm guessing all vapes are pretty good
-ease of use, don't want anything cumbersome like mflb battery or long charge time
-something under 200$

I'm especially looking at the aromazap line (i read that the current model is just a better PD), and the iolite. I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback about these 2 or any other brands that would suit my needs. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading :D thanks!

p.s. how helpful/important is the extra variable voltage power supply on the aromazaps?

nvertigo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I am kinda in the same boat as you. I've been using my MFLB as my main vaporizer for years. I started wondering if I wanted a home vaporizer, just to take some of the work load off the MFLB. I had also decided to purchase a Purple Days, but then scanned the thread and found out that they had went out of business. :( I am not sure if there is another vaporizer out there that would be a lot like the Purple Days, not just similar. Is the Aromazap just like the Purple Days? I guess I am more picky on that point than you. :)

Is the RockZap the same as the Aromazap? I looked at this page, and it seems like they only have RockZap's in stock. I admit, they do look a lot like the Purple Days. I'd love to hear from someone that has used both and can compare! :)

http://aromazap.com/zaps/ceramic-insulated-aromazap

Vicki,

nvertigo

From what I gathered, the CRZ/rockzap is just the newest version of the aromazap. I think every item is the same. The blemzap is just a unit with blemished wood, hence the discount. PRIMO is some special wood. They should all work the same and come with the same accessories.

This video review helped me a bit.

One thing that worries me is the hour long warm up time which I didn't know about, but I guess that's what mflb is for. Can anyone chime in as to what the differences between PD and these are, and whether or not the variable voltage is important??

nvertigo,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
From what I gathered, the CRZ/rockzap is just the newest version of the aromazap. I think every item is the same. The blemzap is just a unit with blemished wood, hence the discount. PRIMO is some special wood. They should all work the same and come with the same accessories.

This video review helped me a bit.

One thing that worries me is the hour long warm up time which I didn't know about. Can anyone chime in as to what the differences between PD and these are?

Thanks!!

I believe the warm up time on the Purple Days is 30 minutes. I had no idea the Aromazap needed an hour warm up time. :\

Why does the guy in the video sound like a chipmunk!? :lol:

Vicki,
Reactions: nvertigo

lwien

Thanks!!

I believe the warm up time on the Purple Days is 30 minutes. I had no idea the Aromazap needed an hour warm up time. :\

Warm up on the PD is about an hour as well, but like the PD, the Zap can be left on 24/7 so there isn't a warm-up time. The PD drew 9 watts, about the same as two night lights. I would think the Zap draws the same using the stock power adapter at 12.5volts.

lwien,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I had old style Zap and have several pd's in retirement now. I just got my CRZ today and just posted about it. Some really nice improvements yet still has the conservation and ease of use the old styles had.

I don't think you can go wrong with a CRZ if you were leaning towards a PD. I'm pleased as punch w/ mine. Really a nice vape.

Lo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I use both the PD and the CRZ, and they are very similar. As lwien stated, there really is NO warmup time as they are designed to be left on 24/7. Both are very good quality units and I don't hesitate to recommend them.
:peace:

Stu,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
How is the CRZ when it comes to conserving? I can really conserve in my MFLB, and that is important to me. I also have to be able to use kief and hash in it too.

Vicki,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
How is the CRZ when it comes to conserving? I can really conserve in my MFLB, and that is important to me. I also have to be able to use kief and hash in it too.
The CRZ - along with my PDs - are the most "conservative" vapes that I own. It is one of their strongest points IMO. I am still amazed by how little weed it takes to get medicated. My tolerance is probably on the high side, and I still get a good high from a single stem. I don't always stop after one, though. :smug:
:peace:

Stu,

darkrom

Great Scott!
My prototype core Underdog does everything you are looking for and heats up in 3 min on my car adapter.

darkrom,
Reactions: Peloton

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
The new Rockzaps do not take an hour to warm up. You can start getting vapor after 20 minutes. And, as lwien has pointed out, they can stay on 24/7. Rick is also offering a vv now which can boost or lower the temps you vape at. For vaping with more than one person, I would suggest you each have your own stem and just pass the Zap.

That video is an old one. Check out some of newer vids, or even better, Vito's vids on the Zap thread.
;)

And Vicki, yes; the Zap conserves herb just as well as the PD did. I think you would be happy with it.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Just adding some info to this thread to help you guys make a fully informed decision.

Main difference between the Zaps and other heavy hitting logs like the UD and HI is the bowl size. The Zap uses smaller bowls just like the PD which physically won't allow you to use a lot of herb in one session, thus helping you conserve.

Other than that the UD and HI heat up a little quicker and have a less restricted airpath than the Zaps and possible run a little bit hotter on the same voltage, but I think that's about it in terms of differences between the popular logs atm.

A variable PSU should always be recommended with these type of vapes imo. It just helps smoothening out the variables that come with them and set it to your personal preference.

djonkoman

I have a PD that I don't use much anymore(backup and for taking to other places like friends or the bar), you can get vapor at 30 minutes but after 45 min.-1hour it's fully warmed up.
my underdog is a bit quicker to heat up. I prefer my underdog, is more versatile, you can change the bowlsize, can be as big or even smaller as the PD, but also bigger, and with my underdog I can also vape hash. with the PD that never worked. (also my UD looks beautifull)
a variable voltage adaptor would be good, I don't have one yet tough(but plan on getting one soon).
the PD has a more restricted airflow, the UD is less restricted.

djonkoman,
Reactions: nvertigo

max

Out to lunch
I'm especially looking at the aromazap line (i read that the current model is just a better PD)
The PD was just an upgraded Aromazap.

From what I gathered, the CRZ/rockzap is just the newest version of the aromazap. I think every item is the same.
"just the newest version". And current Ford cars are just the newest version of the Model T. The CRZ is a MUCH improved version of the AZ. Heck the brass MyrtleZap was a much improved version over the original soft wood zap.

If the PD was still being made and sold, you'd be foolish to buy one instead of a CRZ, unless you like the idea of a vapor path that contains charred wood.

how helpful/important is the extra variable voltage power supply on the aromazaps?
It allows you to change the temp (takes about 15 min. to arrive at the newly selected temp), so IMO it's well worth the extra $. And I would also pay the little extra for the Hildbrandt power supply-not sure if Rick has those in stock yet.

ll11

Main difference between the Zaps and other heavy hitting logs like the UD and HI is the bowl size. The Zap uses smaller bowls just like the PD which physically won't allow you to use a lot of herb in one session, thus helping you conserve.

Other than that the UD and HI heat up a little quicker and have a less restricted airpath than the Zaps and possible run a little bit hotter on the same voltage, but I think that's about it in terms of differences between the popular logs atm.

Having used a crz and a ud, I'd say this is right on. You can't go wrong with either (or both :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom