Oregon Cannabis News

Tranquility

Had to pull this thread from the distant past. Oregon has new cannabis rules:
https://www.cannalawblog.com/oregons-new-cannabis-laws-the-definitive-list/

The 2019 Oregon legislative session formally concluded on June 30 and it was a doozy. With respect to cannabis, however, the session was significantly less eventful than any conference since 2015 (and that is mostly a good thing). If you’d like to track how we got here, we previewed the 2019 session in March and we gave a mid-session update in May. If you’re just here for the final tally, it’s enough to report that we didn’t get any legislation on hemp, social consumption, off-work use, or grow taxation. Instead, we got new laws limiting production, allowing the possibility of interstate trade, allowing the expungement and reduction of marijuana crimes, and banning system development charges targeting marijuana grows. Each new law is summarized below.

Production License Caps (Senate Bill 218)

This law authorizes the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) to refuse to issue initial marijuana production licenses at its sole discretion, based on supply and demand in the state. As we’ve covered extensively on this blog, there is massive marijuana oversupply in the OLCC market. Although demand is also higher than anticipated, Governor Brown (who requested this bill pre-session) and others have been eager to curb production, apparently due to some combination of protectionist instincts and federal pressure.

Although SB 218 is straightforward, existing and potential clients have come to us with confusion over certain aspects of the new regime. Here is a summary of how the law affects certain parties:

• Existing licensed producers. No change. If you are already licensed in the OLCC system, you will be able to renew your license annually (if you have been behaving), apply for changes in ownership in any amount, and apply for a change in location.
  • Pending producer applicants in general. OLCC will no longer allow changes in ownership greater than 51% for these applicants, or changes of premises location. Who qualifies as a pending producer applicant? Anyone with a license dashboard status of “New,” “Local Government Review,” or “Applicant Hold.”
  • Pending producer applications submitted on or before June 15, 2018. OLCC will continue to process producer applications received prior to the June 15, 2018 “pause” so long as those applicants have submitted an approved Land Use Compatibility Statement (“LUCS”). Applicants in this category without an approved LUCS has been moved to “inactive” status.
  • Producer applications submitted on or after June 16, 2018. OLCC will inactivate all producer applications received after June 15, 2018, regardless of whether a LUCS has been acquired. It is unclear whether OLCC will refund the $250 application fee.
Is SB 218 going to fix the oversupply issue? We doubt it very much. As I wrote a few months back, if Oregon had wanted to cap marijuana production in the OLCC market, it’s about four years and 900 grows too late. Still, SB 218 creates some new wrinkles and affected parties must plan accordingly.

Interstate Trade (Senate Bill 582)

This law authorizes the Governor “to enter into agreements with other states for purposes of cross-jurisdictional coordination and enforcement of marijuana-related businesses and cross-jurisdictional delivery of marijuana items.” The export provision would take effect on the earlier of: (a) the date Federal law is amended to allow for the interstate transfer of marijuana items between authorized marijuana-related businesses; or (b) the U.S. Department of Justice issues an opinion or memorandum allowing or tolerating the interstate transfer of marijuana items between authorized marijuana-related businesses.

In an impressive show of state-federal coordination, Oregon Senator Rony Wyden and Representative Earl Blumenauer introduced the State Cannabis Commerce Act shortly after SB 582 passed, which would protect all state licensed cannabis industries from federal interference, and which specifically shields commerce between states that have entered into trade agreements. This is a critical move. As we explained in the spring of last year:

“the interstate compact would almost certainly need to be buttressed by Congressional consent, which is a formal legislative action contemplated by Article I, Section 10, Clause 3 of the Constitution. When Congressional consent is given, an interstate compact literally transforms into federal law.”

Does the State Cannabis Commerce Act stand any chance of passing? It seems like a long shot given the current composition of the U.S. Senate. Still, the export and interstate trade discussion is a positive development and Oregon has shown both leadership and creativity in moving the conversation forward.

Expungement and Reduction of Marijuana-Related Convictions (Senate Bill 420 and Senate Bill 975)

SB 420 allows individuals to use an expedited process to set aside most convictions for possession, delivery and manufacture of marijuana, so long as the underlying conduct is no longer a crime. Anyone with a conviction that wouldn’t be illegal now, is eligible for an expedited process to expunge the conviction. Companion law SB 975 allows for a reduction in offense classification for other marijuana convictions.

Ban on Transportation Systems Development Charges (SDCs) (Senate Bill 365)

Last but not least, SB 365 prohibits local governments (namely, Deschutes County) from imposing SDCs for increased use of transportation facility resulting from marijuana production in exclusive farm use zone. Deschutes County has generally made a mess of cannabis regulation, and its ham-handed attempt to levy SDCs on cannabis production forced the legislature’s hand.​

Vape_Or_Die420

Going to portland next month. Where is the best place to get good quality cheap rosin? Farma is my favorite spot but it looks like they only carry carts.

Vape_Or_Die420,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Buzzkill: Oregon bans cannabis-infused alcoholic beverages

Oregon is renowned for its craft beer and increasingly for its high-grade marijuana, but the state is keeping the two apart — for now.

In a new ruling, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which regulates both alcoholic products and recreational marijuana, says beer and other alcoholic drinks as of Jan. 1 may not contain either THC, the psychoactive component of cannabis, or CBD, the non-psychoactive part that is said to relieve stress and pain.

macbill,

Gunky

OK so I moved to Oregon a while back. Good place. But the grow limit of four plants per household is a bit of a nuisance. I mean yeah you can veg a long while and all that but four? No room to maneuver! If you clone one of them you are technically in violation... Harrumph. So is it hard to get a medical card?

Gunky

Six months back we were told there was a glut, which I guess is what depressed prices (though in my view prices are not low). I guess hemp is attractive because you don't have to jump through so many hoops. There is a lot of hemp growing around Medford - you can see it from I-5 - and in the early part of the winter I could smell it blooming at times.

Gunky,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
A continuation of FC Thread

Oregon sees record breaking $89 million in marijuana sales in April

In April, Oregon saw $89 million in legal marijuana sales. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission reports marijuana sales were up 45% in April, compared to last year, making April 2020 the largest month on record for the state.

Proponents believe the coronavirus pandemic could be the catalyst for other states and the federal government to legalize marijuana because it would bring tax revenue, create jobs and give the economy a much-needed shot in the arm.

Tranquility

If the signatures are verified, 'shrooms are on the ballot.

Legal, regulated psychedelic mushrooms 1 step closer to being on Oregon’s November ballot
An Oregon ballot measure to legalize the use of psilocybin in therapeutic settings has gained enough signatures to appear on the November ballot, if those signatures can be verified.

Chief petitioners of Oregon Psilocybin Therapy Initiative, or Initiative Petition #34, Sheri and Tom Eckert, said Monday during a Zoom press conference that the campaign has gathered 164,782 signatures.

If elections officials verify they have submitted enough valid signatures, which backers believe they have, the measure will appear on the November ballot.

The campaign believes they will know for sure by mid-July.

IP 34 would legalize the use of psychedelic mushrooms in controlled doses and administered by professionals in the state.

Tranquility

I might have to seek out professionals in Oregon... Hopefully out-of-staters can score, I mean, garner therapy. Living on the border has its advantages.
Perhaps you can avail yourself to a ketamine clinic while you're there.

https://portlandketamineclinic.com/PKC/

Initial series of 6 infusions will take place every other day for a period of 12-14 days. Although we don’t recommend varying too much from this treatment protocol we will customize the treatments to help meet your personal and travel needs. Subsequent single booster infusions may be required to keep your symptoms at bay. Resolution of symptoms may last anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.

Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Sounds like the "Special 'K'" treatment. You know, I am feeling whatever I'm supposed to feel to warrant such treatments. Bigly.

macbill,

Tranquility

Sounds like the "Special 'K'" treatment. You know, I am feeling whatever I'm supposed to feel to warrant such treatments. Bigly.
The big winner is PTSD.

"Ever since [emotional event] I haven't been able to sleep."

l-34820-being-an-old-timey-doctor-would-rule-just-drunk-as-hell-like-yeah-u-got-ghosts-in-your-blood-you-should-do-cocaine-about-it.jpg

Tranquility,

Gunky

Oregon could become 1st US state to decriminalize hard drugs

In what would be a first in the U.S., possession of small amounts of heroin, cocaine, LSD and other hard drugs could be decriminalized in Oregon under a ballot measure that voters are deciding on in Tuesday’s election.
Yeah I voted for that. There was a lot about allowing psilocybin under controlled conditions as a therapy. And there are ideas about treating some addiction behavior as part of an illness instead of locking people up... Not sure it's gonna pass.

The one part I felt ambivalent about: they are using marijuana tax revenues to fund a lot of this. Why is everything from tobacco smoking cessation to meth addiction paid for on the back of cannabis? Hmnnn... Whatever. There is a pretty huge problem with meth in Southern Oregon. These addicts don't just hurt themselves. They get into all sorts of violent crime and have a way of burning places down.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Oregon becomes first state to decriminalize hard drugs

Fifty years after the War On Drugs began in the 1970s, Oregon voters decided on an alternative path: decriminalization for user-amounts of illicit substances and accompanying recovery treatment options instead of jail time.

Oregonians have approved Measure 110, which decriminalizes possession of small amounts of heroin, cocaine, LSD, oxycodone and some other drugs, according to the Associated Press.
https://www.wsav.com/news/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-decriminalize-hard-drugs/

macbill,

arb

Semi shaved ape

Oregon becomes first state to decriminalize hard drugs

Fifty years after the War On Drugs began in the 1970s, Oregon voters decided on an alternative path: decriminalization for user-amounts of illicit substances and accompanying recovery treatment options instead of jail time.

Oregonians have approved Measure 110, which decriminalizes possession of small amounts of heroin, cocaine, LSD, oxycodone and some other drugs, according to the Associated Press.
https://www.wsav.com/news/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-decriminalize-hard-drugs/
Mandatory prison,mandatory residential rehab........some one needs to explain how that's gonna be any different long term?

arb,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Tainted vapes recalled as Oregon regulators plan wider ban

Oregon cannabis consumers would be wise to avoid legal vapes labeled with vague ingredients like “natural flavor,” at least until April. That “natural flavor” can actually be skin moisturizer derived from shark liver oil—a substance called squalane, or squalene. Burning it could give you a lung injury.

Oregon has some of the oldest vape safety rules in the country, and they need to be updated to fit with the times, the OLCC’s Sheehy told Leafly.

At the dawn of legalization in 2012, the public worried about illicit market diversion and sales to minors. Vape rules were drafted off dietary guidelines for ingredients “generally recognized as safe” (G.R.A.S.). But G.R.A.S. is for the stomach, not lung tissue.

macbill,
  • Wow
Reactions: Gunky

TommyDee

Vaporitor
So the times are to a point where we are acquiescing to shark liver oil in our vapes? Ummm... NO!:disgust:

TommyDee,

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Kind of interesting that the one cart I heard about coming from a legal source during the big cartridge scare was in Oregon and now we read this too.

710yota,
Top Bottom