Opened Cannabis containers, and freshness.

PeteyS

Hi guys, just want to check in and share some good news. I just placed an order for some Girl Scout cookies, Banana pancakes, and Bubba Kush.
Now, I dont vape that much, so this stash is going to last me until close to Christmas time, I also ordered the freshest herb that I found at my dispensary.
Now how well do those little plastic containers hold in the freshness after opening up the factory seal. I figure it won't stay as fresh as with that seal on right? Would throwing the container into a ziplock bag help out at all? I dont have any glass jars laying around at the moment.

Thanks.

Petey.

eyevape

In my experience you’ll taste the plastic over time. I store my bud in ultraviolet glass jars. Bigger ones for storage, smaller ones for daily withdrawal.

Sometimes I have good weed that doesn’t hit well. 2-3 weeks in that jars and it hits as fuck. Fermentation can be applied anytime. My last buds are always the best.

Go invest in ultraviolet glass jars, you won’t regret it. But you’ll eventually do so with plastic bags. I’ve been vaping plastic weed, this was an unpleasant experience.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Depends on the type of plastic container is exactly or describing, the classic ones dispensaries used to use can be fine, depending on the length of storage etc other variables but you're all good probably

Dopamine

How much are you storing? A ounce or three? Quart size mason jars with a cheap hand vacuum pump will do nicely. Just keep the in a cool, dark, dry place.

I still like Grove Bags with a boveda pack though.

Last edited:

MTpromises

How much are you storing? A ounce or three? Quart size mason jars with a cheap hand vacuum pump will do nicely. Just keep the in a cool, dark, dry place.

I still like Grove Bags with a boveda pack though.
The weed I'm vaping now spent almost 2 years in a Grove Bag and is fine. It was bagged on 11/30/22.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
You can find those dark amber mason jars locally most places, in the US at least.

There's some debate on whether adding vacuum is good or not, but a good seal is key. Good luck!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The bags your dispensary gave you may be darkened or have UV protection. You could throw the whole bag in a glass gar if the glass isn't UV blocking. I've done this.

Also, if you don't have any humidity control i.e. boveda packs and the like, you can put a small piece of fruit (like a blueberry) or fruit peel (orange, lemon) to provide some humidity for the jar if the flower is meant to last months.

Edit: Oops! You have containers, not bags. Thx @Shit Snacks

Last edited:
TigoleBitties,
Reactions: cannasoor

PeteyS

Im mostly talking about those dispensary plastic jars that holds a 1/8th of weed, sometimes more.
It has a factory seal around the opening that needs to be opened before touching the weed. Im wondering if , once this seal is broken, then the container isn't really sealed any longer, and will start to dry out.
Only reason I ask, is because I tend to buy many 1/8ths at once for variety, but sometimes I won't finish them for months, if not longer.

I was watching a program, that had the winner of Californias state fair cannabis growing competition on as a guest. And he seemed to be adamant that you will start to lose terps right away after packaging, and it goes down hill from there, even if the cannabis is sealed tight.
He is also really against bovada packs as he states that they also steal terps.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Im mostly talking about those dispensary plastic jars that holds a 1/8th of weed, sometimes more.
It has a factory seal around the opening that needs to be opened before touching the weed. Im wondering if , once this seal is broken, then the container isn't really sealed any longer, and will start to dry out.
Only reason I ask, is because I tend to buy many 1/8ths at once for variety, but sometimes I won't finish them for months, if not longer.

Sorry, there are at least dozens of different types of containers like this, so I'm still not sure exactly what you were describing... can you just share photos?? They are not all created equal, and none are spectacular

I was watching a program, that had the winner of Californias state fair cannabis growing competition on as a guest. And he seemed to be adamant that you will start to lose terps right away after packaging, and it goes down hill from there, even if the cannabis is sealed tight.

They are correct about container, invest in nice glass jars if you really care and keep stuff longer term anyway... Humidity packs is debatable, I'm not exactly sure, it really depends on the bud you are starting out with more of course, but terps do like to escape

mixchu69

after listening to some of my favorite cultivars, they claim that freshness should be at the top of your list when buying herbs at a dispensary. I try to get flower packaged less than 1-2 months. Ideally I would like fresher, but it’s hard to time. I used to buy an ounce at a time (many different strains because I like variety). But now I’m trying to limit to buying a half ounce (still with different flavors) so I can vape fresher flower.

But I’m not taking into account ppl who need to drive far to get to a dispensary or only have limited access.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
If you have well cured flower at the right moisture level and good storage, humidity packs shouldn't be used. Once it starts to dry out over time due to opening/closing the container, or other reasons, then those packs can help keep the flower at a good moisture level. It's a trade off and worth it IMO.

That's why it's good to keep several properly sized containers if you have enough flower to last a long time... Minimizing exposure to air by keeping some sealed longer until needed. Vacuum sealing may actually steal terps, I'm told it would be better to have no vacuum in a mostly filled container with very little extra air volume. Grove bags may have an advantage here. I use both Grove and glass depending on the use case.

Note: certain times of the year I have a lot of flower to store and it can take awhile to go through. I'm getting better at it.;)

cannasoor

[If you don’t like loooong posts, please jump ship now! Otherwise, strap in, load up a bowl, and follow along—I think it is actually on topic, but it’s gonna be a bit of a ride … .]

I buy my product where I live in Oregon (temporarily away in Michigan now). Most dispos in my town (there are about 50) do not sell pre-packed stuff, although I have some experience with that in Washington state, where I think only pre-packed is legal. My shoppes mostly use large, clear glass apothecary jars, typically maybe a half gallon or so capacity—they will usually pop the top and let you smell, and often even the cheapest, most run-down little shoppes have swing-out magnifiers so you can peek at the triches more closely. (Some of the more “boutique-ey” places have small samples before you get to the counter, in little glass containers with built-in magnifiers, themselves in glass display cases. :rolleyes: )

I buy in single grams, usually hand-weighed and put in plastic “pop-top” pill bottles. When I get the stuff home, I transfer it to boro vials I get at a discount vial place, maybe $0.60-0.75 each. (I tried Boveda or similar several years back, but they seemed to diminish the flavor somewhat, so now they just go raw into the boro.) Because I buy and keep so many strains at once (currently about 85-90 at home), these grams often sit for a year to eighteen months at a time, tucked away in cases against any light, and in a cool and dry basement.

But the cool and dry doesn’t matter that much anyway, as I don’t open the cases very often or for very long (I tend to grind in fits and surges). I usually grind about 1/4 gram per strain at a time (way too fine) into much smaller vials (same boro, same company), capacity of 5/8 or 1 whole dram, about the size of the last digit of my pinky finger on the 5/8 size.

And there the ground stuff sits, for months at a time: at 3-5 strains per day, usually 0.02-0.06 grams per load, I don’t hit the same strain more than about every three weeks on average, unless I want to.

Anyway-anyway, the point of all this long-windedness is this: I have zero problems with flavor or effects degradation at all. None. And I am a real (combustion-)fucking stickler for flavor—that’s why I keep close to 90 strains on hand all the time.

In fact, I have just the last dregs of a favorite strain now, maybe 1/3 gram left, 5-10 more hits of it: Purple Magoo. It was pretty ratty when I bought the first gram several years back, for $2-3, and likely harvested even a year before that. (I could look it up if I were at home, as harvest dates, etc., are legally required on the labels, and I peel ‘em off and keep ‘em.) I eventually bought another gram or two over the next year or two because I loved it so much—likely from the same apothecary jar, exposed to the light, oft-opened for people to take a sniff, etc. So maybe 5 years now since harvest, no “bag appeal” at all, even at the start, and poorly stored and handled before it got into my hands, straight up/no Boveda, and then ground and waiting around for months at a time once I got it …

And every time I vape a stem/bowl it is effing glorious! Some grapey/berry flavor (like Purple Punch or GDP, I think of it as the “purple part”) and some kind of cotton-candy sweetness (like earlier phenos of Blue Magoo I’ve had, kinda the “magoo part”). There is no way in hell this stuff should be anything but awful … but it is still amazing!

And although this strain stands out for unlikelihood of any flavor left at all, but also for freakin’ amazing flavor, I have roughly the same experience with everything I buy: rarely do I come across something that’s even just “meh”, and most are delicious, many sublime. None have been handled in anything even remotely like a “properly approved” manner, and I have no right to be living in this amazing DHV/cannabis paradise that I inhabit (when I’m at home—sigh). But it is what it is, and I am so grateful for it.

OK, thanks for coming to my TED talk, and I hope your bowl went well. If you are very careful and such about your storage and handling and grinding … well, good on you, and keep it up. But my own experience suggests that the Goddess Sinsemilla is not so demanding of us, that she forgives us our trespasses, and that she fucking provides!

[OK, now all I have to do is make it through the next few weeks here in Michigan with no access to a device and get back to my home in paradise—but if I come across enough nickels in the couch, I may have to buy an Angus Enhanced and sample some of the recently-legalized local product!]

PS: I actually have 4 different, more recent cuts of Blue Magoo at home right now, from different farms, trying to chase down that cotton-candy sweetness. But they all have more of a licorice-y base than the sweetness, like I find in strains like Silver Train and Where’s My Bike. Multiple stems on my E-Nano, comparing and contrasting, whiling away my days in paradise … tough work, but somebody’s gotta do it :):lol::p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom