OHIO LEGISLATURE TO LEGALIZE MMJ PROGRAM BY 2018

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Rhondon family lost 8 of their family members by murder in Piketon Ohio. Unfortunately too, they found 3 grow cannabis operations on their property. I hope this doesn't jeopardize legal cannabis in Ohio.

You know how the powers that be will play this. Those that are against cannabis will capitalize on this crime and play it to the hilt.

Cannabis may not even be attributed to the deaths of these people. Something tells me it probably has something to do the the grow op.

IMO this is just more grounds that cannabis needs to be legal. Take the restrictions off of cannabis and less violence will be attached to it. If cannabis didn't cost very much and anybody could grow it, you wouldN't have the crimes that go a long with it. Especially something as horrible as murder.

Who knows why these people were executed? My hearts goes out to the Rhodon family. What a horrible thing to happen.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Here is a brief summary of where things stand in Ohio.

http://tinyurl.com/jqhk86t

It looks like the Ohio legislature is afraid that one of the two grassroots groups will succeed with a constitutional amendment; consequently the legislature is trying to pass statute to legalize medical cannabis and thereby make it MUCH MORE restrictive in terms of access and mode of consumption. Apparently this is not an uncommon strategy among legislatures across the states. Even so-called medically legal states like Michigan have been continually doing battle with both local and state government for the past 6 years or so. I'm afraid this issue is not going to be resolved in a "one and done" fashion across this country but will be ongoing for years, not unlike the women's reproductive rights issues!

TheDarkOne

As a resident of Michigan I can say, something is better than nothing. When we went State legal, which has become more restrictive over time, it was a great step forward. The amendment would be nice tough.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
The bill requires a THC content between 3 and 35 percent for plant material and no greater than 70 percent for extracts. Some marijuana flower and products being sold in Colorado and other legal states fall outside of those amounts.

That is hardly ever a problem for flowers but I can see it being a problem on the concentrate side.

I don't like the whole vaping only part actually. While I love the idea of everyone fucking combustion, I don't agree that the government should decide this for us unless they intend to provide funding for vaporizers. I am not looking for a handout and I can afford my own vaporizer. But my pal down the street might not be able to afford anything more than a handful of rolling papers. I can't fathom telling him he's a criminal because he doesn't make enough money to follow the expense of the law. And don't start shouting VapCap on me either although that could be one solution, the state provides everyone with OG VapCap's!

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Well, the Ohio MMJ HB 523 has not reached the governor's desk yet, although he's apparently had time to sign twelve other bills, including one that would eliminate alcohol by volume limits on all alcohol manufactured in Ohio! Yeah, just a tad ironic, doncha think!

So, you can help:

Call Action: Ask Gov. Kasich to sign HB 523!

Make a call to Governor (R-Ohio) John R. Kasich's Office (Tell him your a chronic pain sufferer who lives in Warren County, OHIO and that you are depending on him to help make your life tolerable, or, some other story like that will do as well.

Kasich phone: (614) 466-3555

T H A N K S!!!!

EDIT: So I made the call and spoke to one of the governor's aides, urging her to convey my advocacy to Kasich and what do you know? Two hours later he signed it! I should have tried that a long time ago! :rofl:

Last edited:

ghost

I'm torn. Its great patients will have access (in 2018, lol) but the law itself sucks.

This is simply our shady authoritarian gov't seeing that medical was going to be passed via vote, so instead they rushed this into law first to add all sorts of restrictions.

While it doesn't affect us on this forum, lets be real. Like 99.9% of all people who use flowers smoke. Smoking is illegal under this medical bill.

So concentrates instead, right? WRONG. Ohio put 70% limit on concentrates, essentially banning most of them.

So grow your own flowers and vape, right? WRONG. It is illegal for patients to grow their own under the bill.

Where will patients get their meds from Sept 2016 until early 2018 when they claim the dispensaries should be starting to get up an going? The lawmakers said go to Michigan or Pennsylvania until then.

Sounds good, right? Well as far as I can tell, the lawmakers are clueless and forgot to write reciprocity with MI and PA into the law, meaning it is illegal for any law abiding dispensary in MI or PA to sell to OH patients.

This is all around just an extremely flawed law, and was only forced through to actually highly restrict medical in Ohio, since voters would have voted in a much more open and lenient law, which the lawmakers did not want to happen.

MinnBobber

This is all around just an extremely flawed law, and was only forced through to actually highly restrict medical in Ohio, since voters would have voted in a much more open and lenient law, which the lawmakers did not want to happen.
Sad as this happens all over the US. Minnesota put in a shitty shitty MMJ law that is very restrictive and very expensive and no home grow and no flower medicine and only 2 state sanctioned growers etc.

Now the reaction from many is, "shut the fuck up, you got your med mj" when VAST changes and improvements and inclusions are needed.
What's really needed is full legal cannabis but that's another story.

Even after new MMJ laws, much of the battle remains :(

ghost

OK They passed a bad law. What prevent the folks from running a less stringent view in a referendum?

I suppose anything is possible, but this is America. One the lawmakers decide they want something and put it into the law, it is most often permanently enshrined there and rarely changes.

Plus the OH lawmakers have found a technicality every year to prevent medical from being on the ballot. This year now that they are out of options and the voters were definitely going to vote it in, the lawmakers rushed and forced this through to usurp and undermine the will of the people of OH. Why would they allow it to be changed?

In an ideal utopia, yes there would be a referendum and the voters would have their voice heard, in reality, highly unlikely.

TeeJay1952

@ghost I agree with you. I remember Assault Rifle Ban and Fracking Ban or Citizen's United and I look at poll numbers and then at laws and shake my head.

TeeJay1952,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

ghost

Seems Ohio lawmakers want all the patients to get locked up in federal prison.

First they suggest that patients should obtain their meds from out of state, which is a federal felony of interstate drug trafficking. Now they want the patients to pay using a system that tracks every purchase (which is federally illegal) back to them...

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
http://medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/

For FC members and their social circles, who are also Ohio residents, please visit the link above and give your ongoing feedback as the rule making process moves forward for our MMJ program. And I emphasize OUR program! That is what it should be, contrary to the misconceptions of too many Ohio legislators! We already know that the "compromise" to pass HB523 has been driven predominantly by those who wish the program to be as restrictive as possible. Surprise, surprise. So let these folks know, through their web site, what you think of their ongoing proposals to the roll out of Ohio's MMJ program. To make this program even halfway viable for Ohio patients we need to participate in this ongoing process or we'll end up with a MMJ program that is next to worthless!

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
458606303.jpg

Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program

Program Resources Now Available

As work continues to set up Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Control Program (MMCP), the state is committed to an open and transparent process. The MMCP website and email updates will make it easy for you stay up-to-date on the progress of this work.

• http://medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/ : This website is your one-stop shop for information about the MMCP. It is the official resource for the program and includes frequently asked questions, updates on timelines and the rules process, a way to submit feedback and questions, and more. The site will be updated regularly, so check back often.
  • Email Updates: You can sign up to receive updates in your email inbox on the progress of the MMCP work. Updates will be sent periodically as new information becomes available. The sign up feature is available on the homepage of the MMCP website. Note: If you have already signed up for email updates with the Department of Commerce or the State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy, you are automatically subscribed for email updates.

Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program | http://medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/

30 E Broad St, Floor 34, Columbus, Ohio 43215, United States

http://app.getresponse.com/referral.html?x=a62b&c=hFruN&u=BD7Db&y=U&
open.html

Fat Freddy,
Reactions: friedrich

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
At least you know where they are coming from. It sounds like there will be a lot of regulations that will be attached to the states program. Citizens of Ohio and users of medical and recreation cannabis make your voices heard. It's hard to undo needless laws and regulations after the fact. Too many hoops to jump through makes it difficult for patients, growers and store owners.

wrigleyvillain

A Song of Ice and Vapor
Yeah...hopefully it's better (less restrictive) than the program in IL..but lets also keep in mind that damn near any medical law is better than none (as in close to half the US still) and it's a start. Many states need all those regs-including fingerprinting of patients here and all drug felons banned period-to get it passed at all. Eventually it will loosen when more see the sky has not in fact fallen. In any way shape or form. Actually, it's helping people including re. general revenue!

Also I grew up in the 80s and I still can't believe we have come as far as we have by 2016.

Can't put this cat back in the bag, either, so just get it passed whatever that may mean now, I say.

Last edited:
wrigleyvillain,
Top Bottom