O'Connell Knotty Topper

Clapped_r6

I have not spied a thread on this new hotness, so perhaps this is it.

I love the butane vapes, and this looks very promising. (And if the bowl works good with the Neo as advertised, double whammy)

I ordered an Inception J hook at the same time, could be a nice combo.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
So, basically it's a Flip Brick, right?

Ramahs,

Clapped_r6

Yes, a flip brick with a glass bowl. I think it looks good. Maybe I'm the only one.

Clapped_r6,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Any photos? O'Connell has one thread here for all his vapes...

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That does look cool, like the Dreamwood DLX-One and Lamart Piro, but with a larger custom glass bowl... Hope screen is secure!
Screenshot-20210809-152648.png

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Ripstar

coolbreeze

Initial impressions: I just received my Knotty Topper and I've vaped a thin layer on the screen, so bear with me. First off, this thing is HUGE. Set up, it's about 4.5" x 1.5", with a bowl barrel that's about .75" in diameter and .75" deep. I'm not sure how much it can functionally hold, but it's a party bowl for sure. Fortunately, it'll still function well with a single layer. I have the screen laying across the bottom of the barrel of the bowl, suspended on a ridge. It stays in, but it's not super tight and may not hold as is after it wears. If you're adventurous, you could shove one down in the bottom and gain room for another .5 gram or so!

I am tasting some wood, but I expect that will lessen over time. Vapor is flavorful and plentiful. Function is simple and straightforward. First impression is that it's like other O'Connell vapes: big bowl, easy to use. I haven't pushed it but I don't feel it'll be any more susceptible to scorching or combusting than other OWW models. Otoh, a full bowl's a half inch closer to the flame....

Based on my initial use and its similarity to other models, I'd recommend it for its ease, production, and flavor, especially if you need a bowl to pass around.

Last edited:

Clapped_r6

I got mine today also, but going to work so it'll have to wait a bit.
I agree, it looks pretty huge. Im really hoping that bowl works well with the Neo

Clapped_r6,

Mr. White

Be good or be good at it.
There is a landing pad for everything to sit on also but I was going out of town so O'Connell was nice enough to ship out the micro and topper early. Still waiting for the landing pad and dab tools.

sesh732

Imaginable
Ordered a maple burl knotty topper waiting on the shipping email! This thread has been super informative. I have a few questions for knotty topper owners and I'm also very interested in your opinions on the device vs similar devices.

Does the wooden top fit tightly on the glass, or is it easy to topple off? Couldn't get an idea of this from the few videos out there. And how big of a bowl have you packed without the extraction beginning to suffer? I can go to about .15g with my current setup (older wooden model very similar in design to a topper/brick, a dynavap tube fits snug to tamp) and I still have mostly even roast. My current setup is topply af :myday:

Single flame, triple or what? For those who own a few of this vaporizer type or use various torches, do you find a different torch style is better with certain devices? I'm liking triple now but it's the only vaporizer like this I've ever used.

Does OWW have a rep or account on fc?
Thanks 🙏

sesh732,

jasp3r

Ordered a maple burl knotty topper waiting on the shipping email! This thread has been super informative. I have a few questions for knotty topper owners and I'm also very interested in your opinions on the device vs similar devices.

Does the wooden top fit tightly on the glass, or is it easy to topple off? Couldn't get an idea of this from the few videos out there. And how big of a bowl have you packed without the extraction beginning to suffer? I can go to about .15g with my current setup (older wooden model very similar in design to a topper/brick, a dynavap tube fits snug to tamp) and I still have mostly even roast. My current setup is topply af :myday:

Single flame, triple or what? For those who own a few of this vaporizer type or use various torches, do you find a different torch style is better with certain devices? I'm liking triple now but it's the only vaporizer like this I've ever used.

Does OWW have a rep or account on fc?
Thanks 🙏
He is super duper responsive on Instagram dms!

jasp3r,
Reactions: sesh732

coolbreeze

Does the wooden top fit tightly on the glass, or is it easy to topple off? Couldn't get an idea of this from the few videos out there. And how big of a bowl have you packed without the extraction beginning to suffer?
The top on mine fits tightly, but not exact, if that makes sense. I think there are variations in the glass, but the fit is a quite snug friction fit. Hard to answer the second part, but it's a big bowl (I seem to recall someone earlier in the thread measuring how full they could fill it EDIT: I can't recall now where I saw it. Under a gram, iirc, but lots and lots), and I've never had it full enough to have a problem. The top is domed inside and does a nice job of dispersing heat evenly. I've only really used a large, single Eagle torch turned up slightly (.66-.75") and have had nice, even roasts. A larger torch may actually help you avoid the one downside to OWW devices (if it can really be considered one) is a tendency to scorch the wood underneath the back of the intake tube. It does no functional damage to the device at all, but people who are new to these vapes may appreciate knowing that they are NOT harming their device. A larger torch should allow you to keep the flame out of the intake altogether.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,

sesh732

Imaginable
The top on mine fits tightly, but not exact, if that makes sense. I think there are variations in the glass, but the fit is a quite snug friction fit. Hard to answer the second part, but it's a big bowl (I seem to recall someone earlier in the thread measuring how full they could fill it), and I've never had it full enough to have a problem. The top is domed inside and does a nice job of dispersing heat evenly. I've only really used a large, single Eagle torch turned up slightly (.66-.75") and have had nice, even roasts. A larger torch may actually help you avoid the one downside to OWW devices (if it can really be considered one) is a tendency to scorch the wood underneath the back of the intake tube. It does no functional damage to the device at all, but people who are new to these vapes may appreciate knowing that they are NOT harming their device. A larger torch should allow you to keep the flame out of the intake altogether.
Yeah the triple flame doesn't go into my intake tube, would probably combust. Good to know that the dome design works to even out heat. In hyped about the extra capacity for occasional use, maybe sometime has a big bowl weight for us. I'll search fc again. Saw a pic on Reddit with 0.8g bowl molded out of a topper, but I have a hard time believing that much would extract anywhere near evenly

sesh732,

coolbreeze

Saw a pic on Reddit with 0.8g bowl molded out of a topper, but I have a hard time believing that much would extract anywhere near evenly
Well, back in the day we had a saying that sort of applies: If you can still light a match pack a bowl, you can still have more! Pack as big as you can, and then go back for another! ; )

coolbreeze,

RichardsBag

Anyone have any experience using glass screen (either the circle with holes or the jax style) with a direct butane? I tried it with my topper when it first arrived and it worked surprisingly well with great flavor. It seemed to require a little more heat but that’s to be expected.

I removed the screen because I worried about expansion/cracking, inability to keep the screen seated between bowls and wanted to experiment with alternatives.

I love this thing aboit as ouch as the noisy cricket and possibly more. I have a few ideas to tweak the design for easier UI.

The handle on the bowl snapped off one while I was likely pulling to hard, it wasn’t hard enough to justify a break given its importance once you have a hot glass bowl.

The thick walls seem like a thermal retention feature and make sense. The ability to watch your snack while it’s cooking is a huge benefit for learning the Way and Methods through the 36 chambers for those just inducted into the BTC. Seriously though, it waa my second direct butane and was a huge help with learning technique quickly.

Two items for possible tweaking (could be combined to one item) are as follows

I’m working on sketching a design to send him (For feedback and a custom bowl request)
For a a heat shield with a ‘window’.
The concept that would replace the need for a glass bowl handle as well as provide a stable and removable seal (wood on wood seal a thermal resistant friction fit possibility given temp stress it will deal with?) on the rim between the topper and bowl.

The last bit of feedback is making sure the bowl has adequate grooves to fit the screen as it’s a bit of a challenge depending on the screen size.

Any thoughts? I’d love to hear others feedback before I request the custom. Apologies for the mobile grammar. I’ll return for edits.

RichardsBag,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

I removed the screen because I worried about expansion/cracking, inability to keep the screen seated between bowls and wanted to experiment with alternatives.
the heat near the screen shouldn't be higher than 240c MAX, nothing will happen, the flame at the hottest point is maybe around 900c degrees but near the screens it's not too hot for expansion or cracking....

fropones

Picked up a knotty topper during Black Friday and this thing rips. I'm still messing with it but so far I think I may enjoy it more than the cricket. It hits like a ball vape and I haven't had any issues with combusting on big hits like I sometimes do with the cricket.

Top Bottom