NFC No Classifieds

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
We decided not to host a Classifieds sub-forum in order to avoid problems with image hosting sites, particularly imgur.com. FC was blocked by imgur for violating their terms of service, in that we were using their site for commercial purposes. This is actually forbidden by all of the image hosting sites, but apparently FC did not create enough traffic on any of the others to attract their notice. The banning led to an incredible amount of link rot in all parts of FC, not just the Classifieds.

We have no means of controlling where images in Classifieds originate. Although we are experimenting with hosting images here, we cannot block image links to other hosting sites. In fact, we encourage you to use external links because the space and bandwidth consumed by local images could easily get out of control. We do not want to be forced to stop image hosting. It's a popular service but if it gets too popular, that's what we'll have to do.

We are considering ways to continue to provide a Classifieds service. You can post ideas about how to do this here. In the meantime, the FC Classifieds will not be closed until FC goes dark.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Perhaps an add-on could be developed to only allow internal images in a specific forum. I'll investigate.

Edit: Just quickly looking into this, it definitely seems feasible; could be developed but also there might already be add-ons already available that meet the requirements. For example, for $35/year, the following add-on allows converting linked images to attachments (this may or may not be configurable to only apply to certain forums, so might not be feasible, but worth investigating):

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
What about a subreddit for FC classifieds? I’m thinking it would mainly be used for posting the items for sale and the details could be discussed via PM here. There could be a positive and negative feedback sticky thread on the subreddit. Just a thought, I know it’s a bit odd to suggest using another website for classifieds.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Perhaps an add-on could be developed to only allow internal images in a specific forum. I'll investigate.

Edit: Just quickly looking into this, it definitely seems feasible; could be developed but also there might already be add-ons already available that meet the requirements. For example, for $35/year, the following add-on allows converting linked images to attachments (this may or may not be configurable to only apply to certain forums, so might not be feasible, but worth investigating):

Thanks for the homework. We already have the XF2 addons package and we're using several of them. The problem with this one is that it looked as though it is all or nothing. As I said, we'd actually prefer that people use external links because of the space and bandwidth consumed. I'll install it and check whether it can be limited by sub-forum but I'm pretty sure it can't. On the other hand, Andy (the guy who wrote it) is really responsive and might be willing to add that capability. We'll see.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks for the homework. We already have the XF2 addons package and we're using several of them. The problem with this one is that it looked as though it is all or nothing. As I said, we'd actually prefer that people use external links because of the space and bandwidth consumed. I'll install it and check whether it can be limited by sub-forum but I'm pretty sure it can't. On the other hand, Andy (the guy who wrote it) is really responsive and might be willing to add that capability. We'll see.
That's sort of what I thought; I'll post to the author to see about the chance of adding a "forum filter", otherwise, I may look at simply building our own (although I'd rather extend an existing one than re-invent the wheel ...)

Edit: I'm in discussions with Andy, the author of the add-on, so we'll see where that goes :) Keeping fingers crossed
🤞

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
This is all Good Pak!

The way I see it, Classifieds can live on the old forum until the time comes...

Honestly, this is something so many of us have been waiting for for so long, I intend to migrate to NFC as fully and quickly as possible, I am sure Classifieds will transition over when the time is right.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just an update ... Andy got back to me and is not willing to make any changes to accommodate us on this; he feels strongly that everyone should be self-hosting their images so this is a non-issue.

There are other alternatives, such as creating our own add-on, or private forums, or a separate forum with linked accounts, etc. and we have some time to figure this out at any rate.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just an update ... Andy got back to me and is not willing to make any changes to accommodate us on this; he feels strongly that everyone should be self-hosting their images so this is a non-issue.

There are other alternatives, such as creating our own add-on, or private forums, or a separate forum with linked accounts, etc. and we have some time to figure this out at any rate.

If we host our own Classifieds, we will hide it from anyone who is not registered, as I did with the Cultivation sub-forum. I don't know if this would protect us from an imgur block though. We don't know how they detected FC. (Traffic analysis? Report from disgruntled user?) We don't want to risk another block because one they lower the boom they refuse to lift it.

Our own addon-on is an alternative but I'm not sure I'm up to it. Do you think you could do it?

JCat

Accessory Maker
If we host our own Classifieds, we will hide it from anyone who is not registered, as I did with the Cultivation sub-forum. I don't know if this would protect us from an imgur block though. We don't know how they detected FC. (Traffic analysis? Report from disgruntled user?) We don't want to risk another block because one they lower the boom they refuse to lift it.

Our own addon-on is an alternative but I'm not sure I'm up to it. Do you think you could do it?
Quite possibly. I'm thinking about digging into it. PHP isn't my language of choice, but I have used it before ... and once you know 10+ languages ... they all seem sorta' the same apart from their little particularities.

If I had access to the source code of an add-on that was already started and did something even a little bit similar, then it would be easy to take it from there and modify to our needs, however, I haven't found anything suitable in my 1/2 hour of digging around, so I might just have to bite-the-bullet and start one from scratch ... I'm sure after about 4-8 hours I'll be comfortable in the environment/architecture of PHP/XenForo add-ons ...

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I wonder if we called it "Adoptions", and specified inquires be made privately? Who could be against adoptions? And if "adoption fees" such as postage, shipping and handling, are discussed privately, who would be the wiser?

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I wonder if we called it "Adaptions", and specified inquires be made privately? Who could be against adaptions? And if "adaption fees" such as postage, shipping and handling, are discussed privately, who would be the wiser?
I'm looking into building an add-on that will enforce posting images locally for specified forums ... I'll let everyone know here of progress in the coming week or two when I have a chance to dig into it a little further.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Maybe we can make something that hosts classified´s images locally and once transaction is complete the images get erased

Jardri,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I'm guessing I'm in the minority but I'd be okay if NewFC abandoned the Classifieds sub. It's a nice grownup thing to offer and I get the idea of meeting or surpassing the functionality of the old site. It's just that the Classifieds section doesn't get hardly any listings on the old site and both buying and selling are better left to r/EntExchange in my experience.

Not trying to be negative or dissuade anyone from hacking the image hosting issue. Thanks for this thread to explain the process and collect input.

Last edited:

VANVAS

So the big problem is to manage all those images That be charged at the forum yes ?

VANVAS,

fatbiker

Honestly, the classifieds were one of my favorite parts of the previous site. It was nice to buy used stuff and very convent to sell used vapes and related equipment. I was very disappointed to learn that there are no classifieds on this site.

Whatever it takes we should find a way to launch a classifieds section. Using the old site just for classifieds doesn't seem logical in the sense of traffic and member engagement.

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Heck ppl Reddit has sub-forums for just this kind of thing. If it doesn't come back (the classifieds) I don't think it would be all that bad. :twocents:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I understand why people hesitate to register on reddit, but when it comes to 2nd hand vape stuff, r/EntExchange/ is a great place and much more active than the FC classifieds ever were. Just saying – if you miss the classifieds, r/EntExchange/ can fill that hole easily. No need to mess around with the other subreddits.

Last edited:

Easywider

Simple is the way
I use reddit regularly but I'd much rather buy/sell to my friends here on FC :twocents:
Old classifieds is still working just fine, I was still able to post and sell an IH in less than 10min just last week.

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
@fatbiker Reddit is fucking weird but I have learned how to deal with it. Basically like a forum, sub-forum pages = sub-Reddit pages etc. You can post pics and text and then people can comment on it. The sub-Reddit for vaporizers and such is r/EntExchange (global sub-Reddit but has more North American traffic). At the top has the rules post which you should read and familiarize yourself with before you post/comment on anything. If you stick to people that have some verified (ie completed trades) I doubt you'll have issues. So far I have sold over several things with zero issues but just like anywhere you have assholes who will try to rip you off or annoy you just take care and if it sounds too good it probably is. Let me know if you have more ?s... ✌

Top Bottom