Ninja Warrior

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Any Ninja Warrior fans here? I just started watching the American Ninja Warrior, Levi is a beast!

I'd like to get on this show and give it a try and conquer Mt Morimoto

The women's ninja warrior is fucking impressive as well. Can't believe Maho didn't make it to stage 2.

Nagano FTW

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ive watched some of the older episodes and damn... Those are some sick ass athletes.
What channel does it normally come on? TUF has been getting progressively worse throughout the seasons (and this one is over) so I have nothing to occupy my time except for Manswers and 1K Ways to Die (both of which are not as satisfying)

I think that N-Dub night fill this void in the interim :)

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I catch it on the G4 channel. They play the seasons back to back to back so if you have a DVR, its easy to get caught up on everything. Those guys are super sick, a lot of them are olympic athletes in sports like gymnastics where their skill sets def come in handy.

I'm HOOKED

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Rock on... Cops is on now, and NW comes on later this evening. Drat, that darned WEC thingie is going to be commanding my attention this evening ;)
Good thing I have more than one DVR.

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Damn, directv doesn't cArry the versus network anymore so I will not. Be able to watch this sick ass event

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
That sucks. My buddy has DTV as well, he said he was going to try to stream the event somewhere on the interwebz. I cant remember the site... Shit here comes the Mackens fight!

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHIT!!! This is the most that I have seen Mackens tested in a fight... TD is giving him a run an might just take a decision if he keeps this up... :uhoh:

Crap... Ending of round 3 and I dont think its going to be enough. :(
Oh well, war next time Mack.

AGBeer,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
The Japanese continue to have the best gameshows. I've only seen older clips online but here's my understanding for those that are wondering. It's basically the most grueling obstacle course ever devised. Since the first episode in 1997 and after 2400 competitors, only 2 men have achieved TOTAL VICTORY.

Here's one of them: :bowdown: Makoto Nagano.

Since then the course has been tweaked to be even harder, and now G4 is sending American athletes to compete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasuke_(TV_series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Ninja_Challenge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunoichi_(TV_series)

I'd like to get on this show and give it a try and conquer Mt Morimoto
You must do it! I believe in the monkey.

vtac,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
What i think is awesome about japanese game shows is the Japanese compete in them not for prizes, but for bragging rights. It seems like they compete very rarely for prizes. Pretty much just for bragging rights and a chance too be on TV.

DevoTheStrange,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Yeah man, all about pride and bragging rights!

Vtac - usually I'm pretty confident about my skills to run, jump, and climb over obstacles but like you pointed out, only two people have completed the entire course.

Levi Meewenburg is a freerunner that I tremendously respect and watching him falter in Ninja Warrior killed a lot of my confidence. If you google that guy, he is FUCKING NUTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

stonemonkey55,

MileHigh

vtac said:
...only 2 men have achieved TOTAL VICTORY.

According to that clip, this dude is 162cm and 61kg.

That's 5'3" and 134 lbs in American.

Yeah he's agile as fuck, but dunno how much of a "Warrior" somebody who's smaller than an average woman could be.

MileHigh,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
MileHigh said:
vtac said:
...only 2 men have achieved TOTAL VICTORY.

According to that clip, this dude is 162cm and 61kg.

That's 5'3" and 134 lbs in American.

Yeah he's agile as fuck, but dunno how much of a "Warrior" somebody who's smaller than an average woman could be.
Are you serious? Show me a better ninja. :|

the stone monkey said:
Vtac - usually I'm pretty confident about my skills to run, jump, and climb over obstacles but like you pointed out, only two people have completed the entire course.
Ah but first the monkey must believe in himself... Let the vapor guide you, my son! :D

vtac,

MileHigh

Yeah I watched the video, it was QUITE impressive... as a rock climbing/gymnastics/freerunning display. But I have no idea why this show is called ninja warrior (though I've only seen that one clip). Any competitive middleweight or above boxer or MMA fighter would probably merc this guy, no offense to him. I see the relationship to ninjas, i.e. sneaking about in the dark, climbing castles and assassinating people without their knowledge. But it really has nothing to do with combat skills once engaged. He could gain the upper hand initially through positioning and surprise, but generate NO power with his fists. He might be able to knock someone out if he got in a lucky kick, but forget about ground 'n pound or straight standup.

MileHigh,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
it's just the name of the show, you don't need to take it literally. but if you take a look at their skill set, i don't see why someone that excels at ninja warrior wouldn't also be a good fighter. Speed, coordination, stamina, these are all things a mma fighter would like to possess. i have no doubt someone like gsp or jose aldo would excel at ninja warrior, someone like nate diaz, i don't think so much.

stonemonkey55,

MileHigh

Maybe, but again, not having seen the show, I would bet that most people who are good at it are very small, like gymnasts. Those skill sets absolutely would help you in fighting, but not the reverse, you know what I mean? Could you imagine some beefy heavyweight making it through that course? No way. But it doesn't mean Manny Pacqiao (?) should challenge Wladimir Klitschko just because he would make it farther on nw.

MileHigh,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I don't think anyone is arguing that these guys can beat a boxer or mma fighter. Were just marveling at the athleticism of these guys.

stonemonkey55,

Konrad_Zuse

At first I thought we were talking about the movie "Ninja Assassin" then I thought we were talking about that warrior show where they take the most badass warriors and do simulated fighting. This is very cool, definitely going to watch molre of thid.

Konrad_Zuse,
Top Bottom