• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Nickel and Chromium Safety Discussion

arb

Semi shaved ape
Modnote: The following 5 posts were moved out of a vaporizer model-specific thread to comply with the forum rules.

Please keep the discussion civil, cite sources, and don't state opinion as fact. This is not a place to make baseless claims about any model.

The glowing metal alloy is made from"nickel,chromium and steel" according to the maker.
You all may want to look into them there alloys and the temps they start off gassing.........very odd choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michel

The glowing metal alloy is made from"nickel,chromium and steel" according to the maker.
You all may want to look into them there alloys and the temps they start off gassing.........very odd choice.

Nickel and Chromium are very temperatur resistant. Both are often used in the automotive industry for critical high temperature areas.
I don’t know about the medical rating of both alloys but from the chemical side of view at least Chromium can easily handle 1000*C (or ≈1800*F) and above.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Nickel and Chromium are very temperatur resistant. Both are often used in the automotive industry for critical high temperature areas.
I don’t know about the medical rating of both alloys but from the chemical side of view at least Chromium can easily handle 1000*C (or ≈1800*F) and above.
Results indicate that trivalent chromium in Cr2O3 could be readily converted to hexavalent chromium at a temperature range of 200-300 degrees C, with conversion rates of up to 50% in 12 h.
Nickel has known issues which is why
it is rarely used in ecig coils anymore.

Vitolo

Vaporist
converted to hexavalent chromium at a temperature range of 200-300 degrees C
I would like to point out that these elements are combined in specific percentages, and we know nothing about that combination, and how those percentages affect performance. It would be naive to think that the company, one most interested in the medical community would not take that into consideration when the settled upon the materials used.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I would like to point out that these elements are combined in specific percentages, and we know nothing about that combination, and how those percentages affect performance. It would be naive to think that the company, one most interested in the medical community would not take that into consideration when the settled upon the materials used.
Nickel,Chromium and Steel (Iron + others) is the composition of almost any stainless steel grade out there ,like 304/316/316L etc,you can also see numbers like 18/10 and 18/8 alternatively,that classification is based on the Cr/Ni content in the mix. There are people who are allergic to Nickel, so they opt for 440 grade(a.k.a 18/0 ) which is nickel free and also known as cookware/cutlery steel. That being said the plates of the Lotus are made of pure Nickel and they are durable but dont last forever.
Anyway from what i know we dont want any variety of stainless steel glowing,but that is from my limited knowledge on the subject. The nickel and chromium increase rust resistance ,also in the 316 Molybdenum is added to further complement those qualities,there are even grades alloyed with Ti. (316 Ti for example)
--------------------
Edited: Just wanna say that my post is focused on material durability and chemical composition, not safety. :D :D Cheers ! "_

Last edited:
Top Bottom