New Vape Opinions

Grey

I currently have a fury edge that's a few years old. It's looking pretty rough and I'm looking to purchase a new vape. I think I have it narrowed down but I'm open to recs.

I want a clean airway

I don't need an on demand vape but I'd like to clear the oven in 5 mins or less. I like the idea of on demand for topping myself off though.

Preferably under $175 with any added accessories

Easy maintenance

Basically will use it solely at home on weekends. I think my tolerance is pretty low.

I think I'm between the lobo and roffu. The airmax interested me but hearing that it's going to take me 15-20 mins to finish an oven which doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. I tend to mix with CBD 4:1 ratio and I feel like it'll be difficult to keep myself at the level I want with a sipper. May also be a little more difficult to pack the stem versus a capsule. Not sure as I've never used one but let me know if I'm mistaken.

Thoughts?

Grey

Hmm I really like the sound of these. I was also looking into a desktop vape but didn't like the size or typical attachments of them. This seems like a good option but I'll have to research them a bit more. Any recs for those under 200 with the glass?

Also any thoughts on a portable to go with it? I do like to have a portable to take with me out back or on a walk from time to time.

Grey,
Reactions: friedrich

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hmm I really like the sound of these. I was also looking into a desktop vape but didn't like the size or typical attachments of them. This seems like a good option but I'll have to research them a bit more. Any recs for those under 200 with the glass?

You can get heat island from Alan for the cheapest if you email him at toasty top, basic model with power supply plug and glass stems plus screens

Also any thoughts on a portable to go with it? I do like to have a portable to take with me out back or on a walk from time to time.

If you upped your budget you probably would actually be quite happy with the Solo 3, good evolution for their portables, you can get through a session quicker faster there, although you can do it with higher temp etc packing less other ways... That is probably going to be more pure and enjoyable compared to what you have already, lobo would just be a level up from that but similar and roffu or v3pro can be better budget portables imo although they're still nowhere near as good as the next level's up (something like firewood 9 or tinymight of course)

gmocooties

I feel like the session time with the Air Max is a little overstated by some - at the highest temp it can easily cook a full bowl in a few minutes IME. It's definitely capable of an extended sesh, but at the lower temps.

As the owner of a Roffu & an Air Max, I think I'd opt for the Air Max any day of the week. The Roffu's nifty, but it's not really my scene.

Grey

I feel like the session time with the Air Max is a little overstated by some - at the highest temp it can easily cook a full bowl in a few minutes IME. It's definitely capable of an extended sesh, but at the lower temps.

As the owner of a Roffu & an Air Max, I think I'd opt for the Air Max any day of the week. The Roffu's nifty, but it's not really my scene.

The air max was interesting as it seemed like it had the cleanest air path. Was just concerned I'd be using the things for 20 mins and always chasing the point I was trying to get to. That and packing the stem.

Read some people mentioning weird smells from the roffu which was concerning. Also seemed like I'd have to get a few accessories to get the experience I was looking for. WPA, sleeve, dosing caps, and probably a 14mm joint. Liked the thought of an on demand vape. I guess the V3 Max may give a similar experience at less strength and build quality.

Lobo seems similar to the fury with slight upgrades maybe.

TM2 seemed interesting but I couldn't justify the cost when I was relatively content with the fury.

I was also considering a dyna and induction heater. There's just too many choices and I only have my experience with the fury to go off of.

gmocooties

The air max was interesting as it seemed like it had the cleanest air path. Was just concerned I'd be using the things for 20 mins and always chasing the point I was trying to get to. That and packing the stem.

Read some people mentioning weird smells from the roffu which was concerning. Also seemed like I'd have to get a few accessories to get the experience I was looking for. WPA, sleeve, dosing caps, and probably a 14mm joint. Liked the thought of an on demand vape. I guess the V3 Max may give a similar experience at less strength and build quality.

Lobo seems similar to the fury with slight upgrades maybe.

TM2 seemed interesting but I couldn't justify the cost when I was relatively content with the fury.

I was also considering a dyna and induction heater. There's just too many choices and I only have my experience with the fury to go off of.
Can't say I ever noticed any weird smells from the Roffu, at least no more than any other vape prior to an initial burn off.

I was keen on the whole on-demand thing too, but the Roffu takes long enough to get to temp that it never really felt 'on-demand' to me (as opposed to something like a Firefly 2+ which is at temp within a couple of seconds, or direct butane style devices which are instantaneous - these are the real on-demand vapes IMO 😜). My tolerance is unfortunately such that a single hit here and there doesn't do much, so I tend to stick to session mode with the Roffu when I'm using it. Definitely recommend picking up the WPA for the Roffu if you go down that road, even if it's just to use it as a mouthpiece - the stock mouthpiece on the Roffu is pretty awful I reckon. The glass WPA is a huge improvement.

gmocooties,

SmokeyDope

Herbal Engineer
It depends on how you use it with air max. These days I use my air max at the highest temp possible and can clear a bowl in 3-4 minutes but I like fast and hard hitting extractions.

For terp chasing I start around 365f and bump it up in 30 degree increments. This clears the bowl in 5 to 10 minutes.

When I just want to leave it on 395f and sip at it till golden brown a chamber can maybe last 15 minutes.

When I first got it I often did the 'travelers journey' where you start at 300f take a few hits and bump it up 20 degrees at a time. Doing this all the way up to 428f Ive made a single chamber session last 30 minutes.

One of the most important things with the air max is that less is more. I used to pack the whole chamber but that heats unevenly and the airflow can be tight sometimes. Instead, packing just enough herb to make a layer covering the holes like 1/4 of the chamber gives much better hits I have found. A really light pack but just firm enough to not be blown apart when drawn through takes time and trial to get down.

Another thing is heat up time. It takes a full 15 minute heat cycle for the air max to fully heat soak, the second session you do with it will always be better than the first cold session unless you let the device preheat before the first session.

The main crux of the air max is its 15 minute maximum timer. If you want a long session with full heat soaking you need to keep turning it on and on and on. This is understandable why they design it this way but I'm a big boy and want the device to stay on as long as needed.

Last edited:
SmokeyDope,

maremaresing

Something like the V3 Pro can clear a bowl in a single hit when set to 380 and pulling hard. Even my Roffu set to max temp didn't quite perform like that. I'm unabashedly in favor of the V3P over the Roffu, after having had the Roffu for a year or two then switching to the V3P. I found the heater to get hotter, airflow unrestricted, heat faster, and ergos better than the Roffu.

I get the Roffu is the premium device, and I actually liked the mouthpiece, and the airbox did a great job of providing cool vapor. But the airflow was so restricted, and my finger or hand was always near or over the intake. It just felt awkward to hold. UI is TERRIBLE. Just the worst I've seen in a vape so far, with often used features requiring the most button presses. Ugh. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the plastic in the vapor path.

420EDC has fantastic bundle prices that let you get dosing caps, glass WPA, etc all in one go. The Roffu doesn't have a WPA. Yes, I know they say the terrible lazy glass mp solution can mate up to things fine, but it's not GonG. I don't like the aftermarket options either.

So if you are going to go down that route, get the V3P and a Jhook or small glass. OR get a Vapor Genie Mini Sherlock and a dissim sport soft flame lighter or similar and enjoy on demand face melting hits.

Log vapes are great, too, but they require a long warm up and heat soak to work their best. Fortunately, you can just leave a log vape on 24/7.

I had an original Enano for years that I was a huge fan of for a desk vape. Getting the WPA was all I needed for great bubbler and jhook hits, and it was easy to reload. I only parted with it when I bought my vapexhale evo. $200 price tag (plus shipping and the wpa) is a bit out of your price range, but it's a workhorse that will give you years of enjoyment.

Last edited:

friedrich

Little-Known Member
I have a Roffu and an Air Max. Between them, I find the Air Max superior except in pocket-portability; I take the Roffu when going out. I also have an Underdog Alpha and would prefer that (or any other log) over either of those at home.

However, since your criteria so far haven't ruled it out, my real recommendation has to be a quartz glass vape from TRWW. I didn't expect it going in, but the Megacicle and now the Quartz Cap Mini are the only vapes I want to use anymore. You would need a butane torch, if that's tolerable, and something to attach it to, like a j-hook, sherlock, or bong; so they are portable around the house, but not really for taking out in public. They're very inexpensive, so the bulk of your budget can go to the water pipe or what have you.

Top Bottom