New to concentrates, what is this?

LordVaper

So, I’m brand new to concentrates. I picked this up today at the dispensary for $50. It was labeled Blue Dream. The person at the dispensary didn’t know what it was as far as shatter, diamonds, etc

Can’t say I blame her as my research has left me bewildered with the possibilities.

Can people ID what this is and suggest vaping technique? My plan was to use the Ispire Wand but I also have a Mighty available.

Thanks.

LordVaper,
Reactions: arb

darbarikanada

I've seen a few things that look like that; usually they call it wax, but there all kinds of concentrates (e.g. 'honey crystal'), some specific to individual producers, i.e. proprietary processes. I vape stuff like this in my mighty all the time: put a tiny amount (e.g. .04g) on top of the liquid pad, start at 180 or 190ºC and go up from there if you're not getting decent clouds - you'll probably get lots of vapor all the way up to 210º, but the flavor at the end can be nasty. with that amount I usually get at least 12 hits.

for easiest cleaning, don't put in more than that amount, make sure you go to max temp, and when you're done, leave it on 210º, sitting vertically, for a couple minutes for a burn-off. hope that helps.

btw: I've found that I can vape pretty much any concentrate in the mighty except live resin, which is so runny that there's a risk it'll melt down below the bowl. I did it once and the next time I used the mighty it made a noise like it had phlegm in its 'throat' for a few minutes.

LordVaper

I suggest you get a banger and torch to use with a piece of glass. A banger is the best way to use concentrates, IMHO.
I have a banger with the Wand. We didn’t get around to trying it. I’m thinking getting a Rio and using the wand to heat the banger.

LordVaper,

LordVaper

I've seen a few things that look like that; usually they call it wax, but there all kinds of concentrates (e.g. 'honey crystal'), some specific to individual producers, i.e. proprietary processes. I vape stuff like this in my mighty all the time: put a tiny amount (e.g. .04g) on top of the liquid pad, start at 180 or 190ºC and go up from there if you're not getting decent clouds - you'll probably get lots of vapor all the way up to 210º, but the flavor at the end can be nasty. with that amount I usually get at least 12 hits.

for easiest cleaning, don't put in more than that amount, make sure you go to max temp, and when you're done, leave it on 210º, sitting vertically, for a couple minutes for a burn-off. hope that helps.

btw: I've found that I can vape pretty much any concentrate in the mighty except live resin, which is so runny that there's a risk it'll melt down below the bowl. I did it once and the next time I used the mighty it made a noise like it had phlegm in its 'throat' for a few minutes.
So, we tried the Mighty and .05g (closest I could get) of this stuff. We started at 180°C and temp stepped in 5° increments and didn’t see any clouds until 210 but we got quite a few rips out of it at 210!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't know the Wand, but I do know Mighty. Certainly is do-able as you see with a Mighty, though in my newer Mighty I'm committed to only flower, hoping to keep it cleaner, longer.

Agree it's hard to tell what that 'trate is, there are so many names and methods for making them today!
I bought an inexpensive Terp Pen (I think my first one was under $30) and love it for wax, shatter, etc.

LordVaper

I don't know the Wand, but I do know Mighty. Certainly is do-able as you see with a Mighty, though in my newer Mighty I'm committed to only flower, hoping to keep it cleaner, longer.

Agree it's hard to tell what that 'trate is, there are so many names and methods for making them today!
I bought an inexpensive Terp Pen (I think my first one was under $30) and love it for wax, shatter, etc.
The Wand is a handheld induction heater. It’s a pretty cool idea. I’m thinking of getting a RIO by Stache products. I see they make a pen too.
I’m a gear junkie for whatever hobby I’m in so this is a dangerous new hobby for me.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
My guess is that's CRC'd "sugar" wax...? (a little too out of focus) It's very common around here and has all but taken over the "budget" concentrate market with only shatter being cheaper.

The Mighty is a flower vape with a concentrate after-thought, I wouldn't run 'trates thru mine if I owned one. Fuck a concentrate pad, too much waste with unsatisfying results.... ALL dab pens and atomizer/box mods, too.

The Wand will work ok with a rig as sold, but if you want better, get a @710Coils setup with controller, coil and banger... then there's always the Rio or other quality torch gear.... The Ditanium seems to have good reviews, so I'm sure you can't go wrong with that. D-Nail and Cannabis Hardware if want to spend more...

Last edited:

LordVaper

My guess is that's CRC'd "sugar" wax...? (a little too out of focus) It's very common around here and has all but taken over the "budget" concentrate market with only shatter being cheaper.

The Mighty is a flower vape with a concentrate after-thought, I wouldn't run 'trates thru mine if I owned one. Fuck a concentrate pad, too much waste with unsatisfying results.... ALL dab pens and atomizer/box mods, too.

The Wand will work ok with a rig as sold, but if you want better, get a @710Coils setup with controller, coil and banger... then there's always the Rio or other quality torch gear.... The Ditanium seems to have good reviews, so I'm sure you can't go with that. D-Nail and Cannabis Hardware if want to spend more...
I’ve been eyeing the RIO. Do you think the Wand would work at the heat source for the RIO instead of the torch?

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I’ve been eyeing the RIO. Do you think the Wand would work at the heat source for the RIO instead of the torch?
Not sure, but I don't see why not.... I mean you could only use the rig part, not the banger it comes with, I guess...? but why not just try The Wand thru any rig as designed...?

LordVaper

Not sure, but I don't see why not.... I mean you could only use the rig part, not the banger it comes with, I guess...? but why not just try The Wand thru any rig as designed...?
I probably will try the Wand with my SneakyPete Mega Globe as that’s my only WPA currently.
I’m a hear junkie so eventually I’ll probably have it all!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I probably will try the Wand with my SneakyPete Mega Globe as that’s my only WPA currently.
Do you use your Wand with a DynaVap? Do you have a DynaCoil...? They work nicely as well, tho I haven't used mine yet with The Wand, only a torch.

Bologna,

LordVaper

Do you use your Wand with a DynaVap? Do you have a DynaCoil...? They work nicely as well, tho I haven't used mine yet with The Wand, only a torch.
I do I have the 2021 M with a SS but no Dynacoil.
We’ve tried the Wand with the DV but it seems to get too hot before the click. Haven’t figured out the right technique. Now that I’m getting into dabs I’ll probably get the coil.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
This is what your Wand was designed for...you have no need for another banger or torch, caveman crap, use what you have, check out the tips for concentrate use in the Wand thread. :tup:
That wax looks yum @LordVaper !

Edit...if you really get to like dabs then think about an email like @710Coils, DNail, Newvape etc

arb

Semi shaved ape
001.jpg

006.jpg

We like this setup better than torches or coils.
Super steady temps a giant bowl and safe.........oldies need some safe.
Downside is the carb cap that comes with it sucks.......big time.
Kind of pricey all totaled up compared to a cheap banger and torch though.
🤔

LordVaper

001.jpg

006.jpg

We like this setup better than torches or coils.
Super steady temps a giant bowl and safe.........oldies need some safe.
Downside is the carb cap that comes with it sucks.......big time.
🤔
Can you tell me what you’ve got going on here? So much to learn.

arb

Semi shaved ape
That is a dabuddha from elev8 glass with their quartz eok kit........essential oils kit.

You don't need all the extras so if you buy a blemished unit off their eBay site and the eok kit it will be a lot less money.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
@LordVaper's conc looks like a basic wax/crumble to me. Shame on that budtender for not knowing the difference between a wax and a shatter. Really? Sooo many ways of vaping that. The sky's the limit.

I guess it depends on where you will be vaping it most often, home, out and about, stealth needed?
For home base vaping without care about being stealthy then the banger, enail, and/or plug in vapes are great. I have the whole 710 enail/banger set up but never use it because it is too much to leave out around here. Still, you get great hits.

For more portable options there are the 510 mod units like the Sai and Divine tribe stuff. I use a basic Core erig most times and love it with a bucket coil. I also have great fun with putting wax in some cotton and vaping through a dynavap.
The Terp Pen rarely gets much love here, but I love mine for out and about and by the bedside. Not the highest quality hits, but the ease of use and stealth are great. I just went on vacation and the terp pen was the only vape I brought. It did its job very well, and has lasted forever. I have two more in the box, but the first one I bought a few years ago is still going strong for only $24. A no brainer IMHO.

You need to get past only buying one vape. Truth is, if you are a vaper then you'll probably be buying a shit ton of vapes to try. Just dive in. :lol:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have a banger with the Wand

He already has a wand and a Sneaky Pete globe (water just above perc) ready to go...set on Auto 450f until the flashing stops, insert dab then put on carb cap and pull slowly...anything different is just personal refinement, I like a different carb cap than standard as it stays cleaner. This will get you a good idea of what concentrates can really do...wasted in a Mighty compared. :2c:

darbarikanada

So, we tried the Mighty and .05g (closest I could get) of this stuff. We started at 180°C and temp stepped in 5° increments and didn’t see any clouds until 210 but we got quite a few rips out of it at 210!

it's hard to know without being there, but one possible reason you didn't get good hits below 210º is that you didn't allow it to 'cook' a bit before vaping, i.e. let it sit ~30 sec. after reaching the target temp before vaping. it could also be the material.

anyways... how was it?

troy at 420 vape zone is a huge fan of the rio.

I've tried a torch/banger. seems to me that the issue is mostly about whether you want to get really high, really fast (banger) or have a gentler 'slope': instead of 2 big rips, get ~12 hits and less chance of coughing (mighty).

LordVaper

it's hard to know without being there, but one possible reason you didn't get good hits below 210º is that you didn't allow it to 'cook' a bit before vaping, i.e. let it sit ~30 sec. after reaching the target temp. it could also be the material.

anyways... how was it?

troy at 420 vape zone is a huge fan of the rio.

I've tried a torch/banger combination. seems to me that the issue is mostly about whether you want to get really high, really fast (banger) or have a gentle 'slope' i.e. instead of 2 big rips, get ~12 hits and less chance of coughing (mighty).
Hard to say how it was as we had two Mighties going. Did flower in one straight. Then flower through the Mega Globe plus we had a few hits of the Dynavap and then hit the concentrate through the Globe. All different strains.
We were doing well but probably had maxed out. 🤣

My buddy is so impressed with how little flower it takes to vape, he’s saving tones of money over smoking.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I've tried a torch/banger. seems to me that the issue is mostly about whether you want to get really high, really fast (banger) or have a gentler 'slope': instead of 2 big rips, get ~12 hits and less chance of coughing (mighty).
Nah, you can do both better with a banger/torch/coil, imo. In fact, it's my preferred method to consume concentrates. It's called "low temp" dabbing... I do it by dropping a room temp pre-loaded insert into a preheated banger/coil set to anywhere from 400-500f. You can also "cold-start" a banger by dropping the material in first, then torching the banger, slowly heating as needed.

Last edited:

darbarikanada

Nah, you can do both better with a banger/torch/coil, imo. In fact, it's my preferred method to consume concentrates. It's called "low temp" dabbing... I do it by dropping a room temp pre-loaded insert into a preheated banger/coil set to anywhere from 400-500f. You can also "cold-start" a banger by dropping the material in first, then torching the banger, slowly heating as needed.
I haven't used my banger much, but did a lot of research, watched videos, asked knowledgeable people here about technique. from everything I saw, there's no way to vape .04g of concentrate in a banger and get more than 3 or 4 hits (it's usually more like 1-2), and in every video I saw they take hits in quick succession. as far as I can tell, the closest I'll be able to get to that relaxed pace of vaping concentrates in my mighty (~12 hits over ~5-10 min.) is to preheat the banger for ~25 sec, then drop in a tiny amount of material (enough for 1 small hit), then repeat as necessary. I suspect I'd still only get ~4 hits from .04g, but wouldn't have to do them in quick succession. I suppose multiple cold-starts with tiny amounts might work too? I'm just not looking for those huge rips most people want from a banger: I mostly just want the best possible flavor.

any pointers would be appreciated! thanks

arb

Semi shaved ape
I haven't used my banger much, but did a lot of research, watched videos, asked knowledgeable people here about technique. from everything I saw, there's no way to vape .04g of concentrate in a banger and get more than 3 or 4 hits (it's usually more like 1-2), and in every video I saw they take hits in quick succession. as far as I can tell, the closest I'll be able to get to that relaxed pace of vaping concentrates in my mighty (~12 hits over ~5-10 min.) is to preheat the banger for ~25 sec, then drop in a tiny amount of material (enough for 1 small hit), then repeat as necessary. I suspect I'd still only get ~4 hits from .04g, but wouldn't have to do them in quick succession. I suppose multiple cold-starts with tiny amounts might work too? I'm just not looking for those huge rips most people want from a banger: I mostly just want the best possible flavor.

any pointers would be appreciated! thanks
Use something controllable like a enail or that Buddha setup and turn the temp way down low till its just producing vapor.
That's how Mrs.arb likes it and it seems to make tiny amounts go pretty far.
My perception of what constitutes a tiny amount may be fucked though.
🙃

Top Bottom