New Fediverse instance https://lemmy.beyondcombustion.net/

TheDankness

Extremely Moist
I just found this. Looks like some of the people from reddit's r/vaporents migrated onto the fediverse and created

Just poking around it's pretty low-traffic still. Mostly pics of gear and "stoner memes". I thought some of you might find it fun to check out.

Let the shit posting commence!

TheDankness

Extremely Moist
more people more content. Though, I gotta say, the forum format that we have here is kind of superior for searching and topic prioritization. The fediverse has a discoverability problem and searching is problematic because of the sharding nature of everything. Maybe a single, dedicated instance will work though.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Same, when twitter got bought out I heard of Mastodon as part of the fediverse but didn’t understand what it meant. Still don’t but from what I gather it’s basically a term for non centralized social servers kinda like how Tor is set up.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, I do want to hop on Lemmy at some point but I’m enjoying being free of socials for the time being.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I had no idea what lemmy or fediverse were!

Pretty awesome concept in theory - a distributed social media platform where anyone can host their own instance, and join the fediverse so your content is viewed and shared across multiple instances. It's actually pretty awesome.

Software is still buggy at times, but it'd be awesome to take back social media from mega corporations. Who knows how it will evolve over time, but I'm excited to find a possible alternative to reddit. Which I've been boycotting lately

bestvaping

It's great that the fediverse is starting to be recognized, we can finally do without these ridiculous companies that do not respect their users and their data :clap:

It would be even better if the craftsmen choose Pixelfed rather than Instagram to promote their products. Too much craftsman uses IG and numbers of customers who do not have an account (and not wishing to create it) cannot access the information. There are alternatives for almost everything now, such as Peertube instead of YouTube ..

However I do not know if Lemmy is a good choice for a vape community, I would have preferred the use of Discourse (is not part of the fediverse but is open source).

Keeping control over your data has become a vital need! For my part I am convinced that Fediverse is the future!

Last edited:

TheDankness

Extremely Moist
lemmy, kbin and mastodon are all part of "the fediverse" and can all talk to one another across instances. A user on any of those services can talk to any user on another service or instance, provided they "federate" with one another.

The magic sauce that makes all of that possible is the underlying protocol: ActivityPub. ActivityPub is a W3C certified open source protocol for exchanging information and notifying consumers.

All of that is to say, it's not really like Tor, although it is distributed. Unlike Tor, anybody can see an ActivityPub / Fediverse instance on the "normal" web.

It's a bold new world out there on the internet. Free yourselves from the hegemony of Silicon Valley techlords! 😶‍🌫️

Top Bottom