My issue with grinders (particles entering vapor path) and how to prevent this (workaround or different type of grinder?)

Drug

My issue

So in close to 25 years of consuming cannabis, I've only recently started grinding my herb. I had always done this by hand, resulting in a coarse "grind" without forming any of the smaller - even dust sized - particles which do occur with grinding. Since I've started grinding my herb I have noticed an increase in throat and lung irritability, in particular during and after a session. This has never been an issue before and I don't suffer from it when I try a manual "grind".

Workaround

To deal with this I've started using the kief screen that was included with my United Machining grinder. I wasn't even gonna try it out, but then I read a comment on Reddit by someone who used their kief screen to decrease the number of small particles in the bowl and thus prone to entering vapor path and bronchial tubes and lungs. This works pretty well, I suffer less from inhaling particles, though I'm not really interested in finding ways to use the resulting powder.

Different type of grinder?

Premium-Hand_c9ca9cf9-7dca-4b76-a0d3-39af1030e0fb.jpg

Flower Mill USA (formerly Roiel Health) has their idea of getting herb to a vaporizable consistency, which from their marketing should prevent the forming of these small particles. I haven't tried it as it's quite expensive, especially with shipping to EU. If any of you do, please let me know how you've experienced it, specifically the consistency of the "grind". I'm digging this grinder for its implementation of stainless, though there still seem to be rotating/touching parts of aluminum which theoretically could mean you'll end up with aluminum particles in your ground product.

Anything else?

Of course I'm curious if any of you recognize this problem. Grinders seem to be so common and loved and by far the most models don't deal with my issue, which's got me thinking I might just be extra sensitive. But I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. So if any one of you has struggled with this, and found other means to prevent it, please share.

Drug,

Kins

I have had the flower mill for at least a year now. It produces more "fluffy" grinds and I do find that other grinders do have those crumbs or dust. You should be able to get a good deal this time of year. Email them and ask about a Black Friday sale, pretty sure they have one normally.

Kins,

Drug

I have had the flower mill for at least a year now. It produces more "fluffy" grinds and I do find that other grinders do have those crumbs or dust. You should be able to get a good deal this time of year. Email them and ask about a Black Friday sale, pretty sure they have one normally.
Thanks. Do you use the model they released under Roiel Health? Which always came with the kief screen? If so, have you used it without the screen? Or do you think the screen is necessary to get this more consistently coarse result?

Shipping to EU is unfortunately rather pricey. There's a shop in UK which sells the one released under the Roiel Health moniker, but if the kief screen doesn't add anything for me, I'd prefer one without it.

Drug,

howie105

I hav a couple of fixed glass screen stems that let a small amount of bud through but not enough to be a problem for me. However I have friends that see it as a issue, for them I have cut a few of the Storz and Bickel Plenty fine screens down to augment the glass screens and that has worked for most of them.

howie105,
Reactions: Drug

hinglemccringleberry

I stick a piece of organic cotton in the vapor path of every dry herb vape I've ever owned. I've also tried it with fine steel screens, and they work OK but the cotton works better, and both in tandem works even better. Sure the draw resistance increases when you do this, but it's worth it IMO. I can't stand scratchy vapor. In my Dynavap and Alfa it made a big difference. In my Sticky brick jr and Milaana it made a huge difference.
In my Milaana I use 2 basket screens formed into a capsule with a piece of cotton inside of it. I stick this in the mouth-end of the stem (screen diameter perfectly matches stem diameter) and it's a game changer.. the vapor goes from being intolerable to being the nicest vapor quality out there...

Last edited:

Kins

Thanks. Do you use the model they released under Roiel Health? Which always came with the kief screen? If so, have you used it without the screen? Or do you think the screen is necessary to get this more consistently coarse result?

Shipping to EU is unfortunately rather pricey. There's a shop in UK which sells the one released under the Roiel Health moniker, but if the kief screen doesn't add anything for me, I'd prefer one without it.

I never actually used it without the kief screen. Wish I could be of more help.

Kins,
Reactions: Drug

badbee

I found my grind consistency improved a lot after getting Integra packs to maintain humidity. Material that seems almost moist enough, isn't, and falls apart in the grinder. Just something to consider if you aren't already controlling humidity.

seki

If it's an option, you might want to consider a vape where grinding isn't strictly necessary to achieve good results. Off the top of my head, the Supreme, VapCap and Vaponic can all be used with unground material quite successfully.

The other option I'd consider is running your vape through a water piece if possible. I've had some irritation with my RBT devices native, particularly after a stir. I find the stems get very dirty and a lot of particulates end up going through the screen. I find using my Splinters through water mitigates a lot of those types of issues.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I found my grind consistency improved a lot after getting Integra packs to maintain humidity. Material that seems almost moist enough, isn't, and falls apart in the grinder. Just something to consider if you aren't already controlling humidity.
That's the first thing that came to my mind too – I keep my flower at 62% and whenever I come across something that is very dry, I notice a *much* higher fine dust ratio.

Siebter,

Drug

I thought about it, but it don't know if I'd prefer the extra steps over just breaking the buds manually.

If it's an option, you might want to consider a vape where grinding isn't strictly necessary to achieve good results. Off the top of my head, the Supreme, VapCap and Vaponic can all be used with unground material quite successfully.

The other option I'd consider is running your vape through a water piece if possible. I've had some irritation with my RBT devices native, particularly after a stir. I find the stems get very dirty and a lot of particulates end up going through the screen. I find using my Splinters through water mitigates a lot of those types of issues.
Well I just ordered a VapBong which, from what I gather, doesn't need the herb to be ground up. My VapCap setups indeed almost completely prevent these issues by design.

Water is an option, especially with that VapBong that's coming my way. Since I've started grinding my weed I've mainly been using my Splinter Z (dry) and my ArGo (dry as well as through water) and it does help, although compared to my manual preparation it still produces a rough hit every once in a while.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I thought about it, but it don't know if I'd prefer the extra steps over just breaking the buds manually.

Well I just ordered a VapBong which, from what I gather, doesn't need the herb to be ground up. My VapCap setups indeed almost completely prevent these issues by design.

Water is an option, especially with that VapBong that's coming my way. Since I've started grinding my weed I've mainly been using my Splinter Z (dry) and my ArGo (dry as well as through water) and it does help, although compared to my manual preparation it still produces a rough hit every once in a while.

VapBong actually does better with ground weed as well, in my experience, albeit a course grind... For smoother dry vaping I highly recommend a jayhook, particularly one with as many right angles as possible (I have a custom from Oregon glass blower like this that has three right angles and does a great job of catching debris) and yeah hemp fiber in the glass stem was an old RBT days cooling technique before spiked stems.

Drug

After reading some comments somewhere I was thinking of throwing in a couple broken down pieces and as they get dryer during my toking, I'd break them down further. Until they're basically crumbs. But gonna have plenty time to find out what works for me.

That j-hook sounds interesting @Shit Snacks . Any chance you wanna show that one off? Would love to see a pic.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
After reading some comments somewhere I was thinking of throwing in a couple broken down pieces and as they get dryer during my toking, I'd break them down further. Until they're basically crumbs. But gonna have plenty time to find out what works for me.

That j-hook sounds interesting @Shit Snacks . Any chance you wanna show that one off? Would love to see a pic.

I don't have it handy to share here, but I've posted it many times in different threads, there is actually a j-hook thread, that may be the easiest place to find it quickly instead of the tiny might or tetra or Firewood thread...

Top Bottom