My First Tincture

in8won

Live every day like you are on vacation
I made my first tincture last night using a video I found on youtube by RuffHouse Studios ( I have no affiliation). I liked this method because it was detailed in time and temperature and amount of product.
I varied it by using 10 grams of abv. I would like to say that it takes two hours of almost constant attention but other than that not to hard to do. I think my first batch was successful although I have never tried a tincture before. I think I had a very clear and uppity experience and definitely had a little body buzz.

Has anyone else tried this method of making tincture? Should I have used more then 10g of abv?

I got to say vaping started because I like to eat canna treats and vaping was a great way to recycle. But now that I started to vape I never want to smoke again. I am also now intrigued by how many ways there are to cook with abv.

Any suggestions on what to do with tincture or how to make it better would be great. :@)

fc01.jpg

RuffHouse Studios video on tincture

Lou Taylor

Any suggestions on what to do with tincture or how to make it better would be great. :@)

Nice video. I find his decarb method interesting. Skunk Pharm is an awesome resource. 180 degrees seems a little cool and i may have to try that on my next batch. I've always heard 220-240 degrees for 30-40 min. to decarb. I have also always gotten meds that are better for sleepy time than daytime use. He indicated that temps are the reason for this.

I always add a bit of sunflower lecithin to my tinctures during the extraction. between 2 teaspoons and a table spoon. it makes a noticeable improvement. Lately I have also been experimenting with freezing my ABV before extracting. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't appear to hurt.

of course the better the product you start with, the better your end result will be.

Make it a Great Day!

in8won

Nice video. I find his decarb method interesting. Skunk Pharm is an awesome resource. 180 degrees seems a little cool and i may have to try that on my next batch. I've always heard 220-240 degrees for 30-40 min. to decarb. I have also always gotten meds that are better for sleepy time than daytime use. He indicated that temps are the reason for this.

I always add a bit of sunflower lecithin to my tinctures during the extraction. between 2 teaspoons and a table spoon. it makes a noticeable improvement. Lately I have also been experimenting with freezing my ABV before extracting. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't appear to hurt.

of course the better the product you start with, the better your end result will be.

Make it a Great Day!

Thanks for the input. I didn't decarb because I used abv and I didn't use any lecithin but I thought about it.

iVapeTooMuch

Oh I Member
I made my first tincture last night using a video I found on youtube by RuffHouse Studios ( I have no affiliation). I liked this method because it was detailed in time and temperature and amount of product.
I varied it by using 10 grams of abv. I would like to say that it takes two hours of almost constant attention but other than that not to hard to do. I think my first batch was successful although I have never tried a tincture before. I think I had a very clear and uppity experience and definitely had a little body buzz.

Has anyone else tried this method of making tincture? Should I have used more then 10g of abv?

I got to say vaping started because I like to eat canna treats and vaping was a great way to recycle. But now that I started to vape I never want to smoke again. I am also now intrigued by how many ways there are to cook with abv.

How did VG as a solvent work for you? Does it come out of solution once cooled?

Other than lethicin, it looks good. I'd probably add more AVB though - I usually use double the amount of AVB than fresh material

iVapeTooMuch,

in8won

How did VG as a solvent work for you? Does it come out of solution once cooled?

Other than lethicin, it looks good. I'd probably add more AVB though - I usually use double the amount of AVB than fresh material

I like the VG for a solvent as far as first tries go. It did not separate, it's easy to dose and consume. So far I'm not sure if I have figured out how to dose & I have only had mild effects. I guess I'll try to overdose next . I let you know what I decide to do after doubling my 3 - 4 ml dose.

in8won

Up date on final product.

It took me several tries to figure it out because I'm brand new to tinctures. So far my favorite way of consuming it is under my tongue 2ml x 3 doses. I hold it under my tongue for about a minute then swallow. It takes about an hour and then it's a mellow body high with a clear headed feeling. About an hour later I get very sleepy and pass out. So it's great for before bed . Not sure why it makes me so sleepy. I read somewhere something about temps related to this. Also as far as the math goes I used 10 grams of abv to make 15 doses of a very good sleeping med.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Up date on final product.

It took me several tries to figure it out because I'm brand new to tinctures. So far my favorite way of consuming it is under my tongue 2ml x 3 doses. I hold it under my tongue for about a minute then swallow. It takes about an hour and then it's a mellow body high with a clear headed feeling. About an hour later I get very sleepy and pass out. So it's great for before bed . Not sure why it makes me so sleepy. I read somewhere something about temps related to this. Also as far as the math goes I used 10 grams of abv to make 15 doses of a very good sleeping med.

using ABV instead of fresh, there is more CBN (sleep inducing).

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker

in8won

well, i've seen this for reclaim:

http://mcrlabs.com/blog/we-tested-reclaim-and-this-is-what-we-found/

but i think it's similar for ABV...the heat of vaporizing oxidizes the thc into cbn, plus if it sits around for a month or two accumulating enough it oxidizes then from thc to cbn too.

either way, i think the ABV is known as sleep-inducing.

Interesting link thanks. I'm not sure if it would be the same. After all how different is decarboxylation compared to vaping? Any more science info would be greatly appreciated. I love the chemistry behind edibles.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
the other good edible factoid I've found, that I can't find a reference for now..., is that appx 87% is the amount of thc you get from decarboxylating the thca (for purposes of calculating doses).

rabblerouser,

herbivore21

Please people, avoid PG and VG ejuices for cannabis. This shit is not safe to inhale. Not only has the medical literature that I've cited alongside others on FC confirmed dangerous byproducts created by these products in various ecig atomizers at various wattages but Dow Chemical themselves are unequivocal that PG should never be inhaled, even in less direct ways:

"However, exposure to mists may cause eye irritation as well as upper respiratory tract irritation for some people.10 Therefore, exposure to mists of these materials should be avoided. In general, Dow does not support or recommend the use of propylene glycol in applications where inhalation exposure or eye contact with the spray mists of these materials is likely, such as fogs for theatrical productions or antifreeze solutions for emergency eye wash stations.4 Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic.1" See http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...fety/pdfs/noreg/233-00332.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

None of these ejuice additives that are GRAS food products are necessarily safe to heat and inhale. VG has at least one confirmed decomposition/polymerization byproduct (glycidol) that is recognized as a probable carcinogen.

The main point is that these solvents aren't useful anymore for concentrate of flower vaping. Plenty of good devices out there for both purposes :) Sure they might be spendier than ecigs, but you can find much safer options here and avoid adulterating your cannabis with dangerous substances for inhalation purposes.

Be safe my friends :peace:

herbivore21

"Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic.1" See http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...fety/pdfs/noreg/233-00332.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc
Apologies for double post but I should highlight that this claim relates to Propylene Glycol itself (which at the time of the above publication and to my knowledge is itself not shown to be carcinogenic), and does not refer to propylene oxide, which is recognized as a probable carcinogen and is a demonstrated byproduct of PG when vaporized in ecig style atomizers at various wattages with various coils.

Lou Taylor

There have been multiple independent studies on both humans and animals that indicate the risk of PG is very minimal.

https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2016/02/propylene-glycol-e-cigarettes.html

Far safer than combustion for sure, and having read all that I still prefer keeping things as natural as possible. Unless you are making e-cig juice I am not convinced that PG really adds anything beneficial to a cannabis tincture.

I have had very good results using Vegetable glycerin in a crock pot overnight. For pure pain relief it has proven very reliable. a dropper full under the tongue keeps the doctors away...

Lately I've been using coconut oil. it doesn't stay liquid like the VG. It Does have seem to provide me even better results. I mix it with coffee and use it as a butter substitute. Canna coffee is far Superior to Irish coffee IMHO. The refined coconut oil has no taste.

Chandler

here is a tincture recipe i came across. instead of glycol or glycerine, whats used is 151 proof baccardi! heres the recipe. please let me know your thoughts on this as baccardi 151 is probably easier to come by than glycerine?

Hot Extraction:

This is a simple and efficient 4 Step process.

Ingredients:
1/8oz high quality cannabis
2 oz Bacardi Rum – 151 proof

Process Summary:

1. Chop cannabis very fine (coffee grinder works great)

2. Place in a shallow pan (pie pan with aluminum foil works great) and bake at 325°F for 4-5 minutes.

3. Remove from oven and place cannabis and place in 2 oz of rum (use a small wide mouth mason jar)

4. Simmer in a water bath for 20 minutes. Maintain temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture between 150°F – 165°F.

5. Strain the mixture and store.

Dosage:
One eyedropper is very nice. Two puts you in space. But you should self-titrate. Effects take about 1.5 hours to begin (at least in myself) and lasted for 5 hours (1 dropper) to 7-8 hours (2 droppers).

Process details—references and rationalizations:
1. Chop the cannabis—more surface area gives means a faster and more efficient extraction.

2. Bake the cannabis.
In whole-plant cannabis, THC content is expressed as THCA (tetrahydrocannabolic acid) prior to decarboxylation into THC, which takes place when cannabis is heated during cooking, and smoked or vaporized ingestion. THCA is a mild analgesic and anti-inflammatory but does not have good affinity with our CB1 receptors, so in order to make a THC-rich tincture that has many of the same therapeutic effects as smoked ingestion (including rapid absorption, quick relief and ease of self-titration), we must convert the THCA in the plant matter into THC prior to extracting it through an alcohol soak. (from Vancouver Island Compassion Societyhttp://thevics.com/cannamist.htm)
THC vaporizes at about 380°F. We want to heat the cannabis to convert THCA to THC, but keep the temperature under 380°F. That is why 325°F is used. Between four and five minutes your oven (and house) will start to smell very strong. This is the time to remove the cannabis from the oven.

Notice also that there is considerable misinformation regarding heating the cannabis. It is true that you don't have to heat it to extract both THC and THCA, but the amount of THC in whole plant preparations is relatively small compared to after decarboxylation of the THCA. So if you want to maximize the strength of your tincture you must heat the cannabis prior to extraction.

3. Use the highest proof alcohol available. In my area this was Bacardi 151. The more alcohol the more efficient the extraction will be.

4. Simmer the mixture.
This is one of the areas that seems to be most debated. Many recipes call for placing the cannabis (unbaked of course) into the alcohol and waiting 2 – 6 weeks. The main concern with heating the alcohol is that it is “explosive” (not exactly true...it is however flammable).

The purpose of the simmering is to heat the alcohol mixture to improve extraction rates and efficiencies. Heating during extraction increases the motion of the molecules (basic physics/chemistry) and drastically decreases extraction times. The boiling point of pure ethanol is 173°F (78°C). We will use the water bath to heat the rum/cannabis mixture to just below the boiling point of ethanol.

Heating the alcohol mixture can be done very safely using a hot water bath. You will need an accurate candy or quick read thermometer. Place about 1 inch of water in a wide, vertical-edged pan (9” wide x 3” high). Bring the water to a low simmer. The rum/cannabis mixture should be in a small (1 pint) mason jar. Do NOT cover the jar.

Put the thermometer into the mason jar and place into the simmering water bath. Bring the temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture to about 165°F (I maintain it between 150°F and 165°F). You want the alcohol mixture to be just barely moving (not boiling, but showing active convection within the mixture). If the mixture starts to bubble too much, just turn down the water bath.

You should have the oven fan on high. You will notice that any alcohol fumes are mixed with water vapor from the water bath and vented out the fan. This combined with the fact that you are trying not to boil the ethanol makes the process quite safe.

5. Strain, titrate, and store.
When you are finished with the extraction you will be left with about 1oz of green dragon tincture. Note that one ounce of the alcohol has evaporated.

Now you should test your eyedropper. In my test 34 full droppers equaled one ounce of liquid (this is a little less than one gram of liquid per dropperful as 29g equals 1ounce).

The liquid should be dark green and smell like cannabis.

6. Dosage.
Everybody is probably different. It takes me 1.5 hours to feel the effects of eating cannabis. Similarly this tincture also takes 1.5 hours to take effect.

I had tried a tincture someone had made using the cold extraction method with the same amount of cannabis and found that 5 droppers did pretty much nothing.

Using my Green Dragon technique I find that one dropper will bring effects on in 1.5 hours and last 5 hours with 1.5 hours of lingering aftereffects.

Two droppers gave me a "spiritual dose" (as strong as any brownie I ever had). Effects lasted 7-8 hours with lingering effects for 2 more hours.

This means that 1/8oz of good cannabis yields about 30-34 doses of tincture (1 dropperful is really all I need). And is much more pleasant than smoking (which really is bad for you and your lungs and the reason I've stopped smoking entirely).

This link might be helpful.
Metric Conversion: http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Enjoy and let me know of your success and/or questions.

Master Wu

i want to try this method, but would like to hear ppls thoughts. also, wouldn't the alcohol itself have an effect on top of the effects!?

ok, ok, i've been doing some research all day... the most common method seems to be to keep the mixture in the freezer for a few hours or days even, then strain.... i like this method, its quicker. i will try this recipe this week hopefully and return with my results.
i'm hoping to use a sativa dominant blend. this should be fun!

Last edited:

Chandler

Figures, my fortune....

So i've been obsessed with edibles as of late or rather, enamoured. In the past few weeks I've infused clarified butter, and coconut oil. Both with great success... My next experiment will be with tinctures. I've had my mind set on using 151 Bacardi. It's the strongest proof alcohol, and it's available. Ever clear doesn't seem to be available here in Ontario....

So I went to the liquor store today, guess what? No 151 Bacardi. I enquire, then they had to look into it.... 151 proof Bacardi has been pulled off the shelves. Apparently LCBO contacted Bacardi recently and told them "their 151 is not suitable for social consumption, so they no longer wish to stock/sell that product"

I'm like, 'your kidding me?!'... They still have an over proof vodka, and overproof Wray and nephew Jamaican rum.
Suffice to say I was very dissapointed.

Guess I'm going to have to go withone of those two choices, but there goes potency :(

Chandler,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom