My dry herb vaporizer (tubo evic) through my bong makes my asthma flare up.. should I be using cannabis in another form?

DougBentley

I switched from smoking to dry herb vaping about 5 years ago and I thought for a while I was feeling better, even though vaping still made my chest feel tight.

I went through so many different vaporizers until I found one that I liked and could get decent cloudy hits from (Swedish company- Tubo Evic). I have it hooked up through my bong.

I tried edibles but I miss the oral fixation and just the time to sit and vape/smoke and think. Also edibles make me feel groggy and hungover the next day? Not sure why. I miss vaping… besides my lungs feeling wrecked.

I’m wondering if I should be vaporizing THC in another form (rosin, oil, etc)? I’ve tried vape pens and those irritate the fuck out of my lungs and throat. No good. Even through water… is there another dry herb vaporizer to try? Or a specific water attachment?

Open to any advice before I take a break all together. I have a medical card and access to good stuff. Thanks.

Truth Seeker

Dry herb vaping seems to work for some (most folks here) and for some us we get throat irritation pretty bad from vaping. I wish vaping worked better for me too but it doesn't. Rosin, pens, carts whatever cause throat irritation for me too. Probably most of the population would get irritated from vaping and the other segment of the population has Keith Richards and Ozzie Osbourne genes! This has been my observational conclusion. Dry to decarb your own herb using the Ardent FX and see if you can make edibles work, that's my current plan.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How heavy of a vaper are you? At higher tolerances it seems the irritation can outweigh the effects from heavy vaping.

Often times when people find flower too irritating they switch to concentrates. But if those bother you too there’s really not too many alternatives. Nano gummies are pretty cool, and hit fast like vaping.

DougBentley

How heavy of a vaper are you? At higher tolerances it seems the irritation can outweigh the effects from heavy vaping.

Often times when people find flower too irritating they switch to concentrates. But if those bother you too there’s really not too many alternatives. Nano gummies are pretty cool, and hit fast like vaping.
Nano gummies? Those sound interesting. Sold at most dispensaries?

DougBentley

Dry herb vaping seems to work for some (most folks here) and for some us we get throat irritation pretty bad from vaping. I wish vaping worked better for me too but it doesn't. Rosin, pens, carts whatever cause throat irritation for me too. Probably most of the population would get irritated from vaping and the other segment of the population has Keith Richards and Ozzie Osbourne genes! This has been my observational conclusion. Dry to decarb your own herb using the Ardent FX and see if you can make edibles work, that's my current plan.
Thanks! I’m not giving up yet but I appreciate the decarb tip.

Truth Seeker

Thanks! I’m not giving up yet but I appreciate the decarb tip.
Best to you! I hope you find something that works and when you do please post it back here as I'm looking too and been through at least 1/2 dozen vapes. With water, without water, convection, conduction etc. Nothing seems to not cause irritation or dehydration/dryness throat issues. I do believe in the science of non-combustion it's just terrible on my throat, so terrible it creates a negative experience

Truth Seeker,
Reactions: shredder

SquirrelMaster

Best to you! I hope you find something that works and when you do please post it back here as I'm looking too and been through at least 1/2 dozen vapes. With water, without water, convection, conduction etc. Nothing seems to not cause irritation or dehydration/dryness throat issues. I do believe in the science of non-combustion it's just terrible on my throat, so terrible it creates a negative experience
Have you tried hot tap water in your bong? I find it easier on my throat than cold water.

shredder

We have a decent edible forum here if anyone is interested.

Even if your still vaping an edible break, or a T break, every now and then can help. Ive found it isn't hard at all to use mostly or all edibles. Now days we have many more choices than brownies or firecrackers. Nothing wrong with either, just saying there are lots of edible choices although I think most folks would rather make their own over buying edibles unless your a light user.

My switching to edibles was a slow moving progression. I stopped smoking joints in 2014, I enjoyed vaping and have lots of toys still to prove it, lol, but eventually my problems got worse and for the last couple years I mostly use edibles. I do use a cart vape a little bit, but not even daily.

The downside is that it takes planning, and some work, it's usually not instant gratification either, but it's sweet when it all comes together. I have columbian gold capsules that I call happy pills, it's impossible to have a bad mood using these, lol, and other capsules that have most if not all of the varietal differences you notice when vaping. It took me a while to learn these things, and im still learning all the time, so the forum is a handy place to learn and see what others are making and using.

I have asthma and I think the hot dry vapor caused me problems. I was wheezing quite a bit and that cleared up in a week or two when I stopped vaping, and I rarely use an emergency inhaler anymore.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Likewise, I used to have a similar problem many years ago. I'm also an asthmatic and my issue started to occur a relatively short time after I transitioned to vaping - although everything was fine, for a while, in the very beginning.

I found session style vaping to be the problem for me - hitting a vape so many times to cache a single bowl ended up making me very wheezy - and like @shredder mentions, I felt it was mostly due to constantly sucking on hot, dry, air/vapor. Back then I was mainly using an Extreme Q at home, paired with an MFLB for on the go.

I managed to resolve my issue by making the switch to mostly using one-hitter-quiter / heavy hitter style vaporizers (specifically, the Sublimator at the time) with which I discovered I could cache a bowl in one massive hit, without suffering the irritation. I realise this may not be quite the same for you or others - and I have no experience of the Tubo Evic so I'm not even sure if this is really applicable - but it may be something worth considering.

As I don't use session style vaporizers on the daily anymore, for the times when I do use them I find I no longer have much of an issue as I once did - although I still have my reliever inhaler on hand should I need it.

It's very interesting to hear of peoples experiences on this subject - and great to see so much friendly advice in the thread. FC is a veritable gold mine of knowledge!

Good luck in your quest.

:peace:

b0

Cloudy...
I have/had the same issue, only thing that helped me was cutting on vaping weed and only dab clean concentrates.

I love vaping weed and after 5 or 6 years doing only concentrates, now that I'm vaping weed I definitely feel it in my chest more than only dabs.

Not sure if this will help you tho

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have/had the same issue, only thing that helped me was cutting on vaping weed and only dab clean concentrates.

I love vaping weed and after 5 or 6 years doing only concentrates, now that I'm vaping weed I definitely feel it in my chest more than only dabs.

Yeah I typically switch to just concentrates every 2 or 3 years.

Eventually dry herb vaping (convection, specifically) will beat the hell out of me and I’ll have to switch to extracts for smoother vapor. Often I sell most of my gear during these times and go ultra minimal.

But eventually I’ll get bored of dabs and feel like they aren’t getting me baked and come back to flower. And the cycle repeats!

Every time I switch I learn something different, it’s always been a pretty valuable learning experience.

Last time I left concentrates it was because I really only like hash rosin these days, and it was $100 a gram in ~2018 when I did my last concentrate binge, and it was just getting cost prohibitive. At the end of 2019 I started messing with my desktop project and came back to flower hard core. after extensive R&D testing it definitely has taken a toll though.

I think one hit flower crushers are kind of a grey area - they can be smoother then long extended sessions up to a point; but eventually it will feel like nothing satisfies but big one hitters, and the harshness from those starts to show from taking in so much vapor at once.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I think one hit flower crushers are kind of a grey area - they can be smoother then long extended sessions up to a point; but eventually it will feel like nothing satisfies but big one hitters, and the harshness from those starts to show from taking in so much vapor at once.

I totally appreciate this is the case for yourself & others, but it has not been my experience over the last ten years of vaping.

One or two (three max!) hits from an appropriately powerful vape to cache a bowl has proven good for me and not exasperated my condition - Sublimator, Evo, Elev8r, Daisy, Lily & GrassHopper have all worked well for me in this regard over the years.

At the same time, I can still use my Vapcaps, Vapman, Vaponic etc. on the occasion when I fancy a change, & I still enjoy the overall experience.

I guess there is no 'one size fits all' in this realm as everyone's body is different, and what works for one person by no means gaurantees it will work for the next. Finding what works for yourself may be a journey of trial & error but, at the end of the day, each individual's personal experience is the only thing which counts.

For further info & transparency, I now use a preventer style asthma inhaler, daily, which likely helps in keeping my symptoms in check.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Have you tried any deepcleaning of the heater ? Maybe some junk got onto the coils and it is making you cough. I always notice difference with clean and dirty gear. Get a water pipe with heavier diffusion percoaltion , my fc-1000 doesnt even make me cough ,although flavor is not as sharp.
Also drink liquids between heats, drying of the airpath can flare up things.
Tubo Evic iis a great vaporizer i own a tuboX ,but there is a fair ammount of glue/epoxy used in the build. It is not the greatest thing for asmathics to have those.

What kind of wood is your TUBO, there are some exotics who are also hell for asmathics.

florduh

Maybe I'm wrong, but with dabs and one hitters... aren't you just reducing the amount of time your respiratory system is exposed to high temp vapor? Like inhaling once or twice over a 30 second period seems like it would be less irritating than slowly puffing away over a few minutes.

Personally, if I couldn't vape for a while, I'd look into making my own alcohol tinctures. They hit a little quicker than traditional edibles. Unfortunately, most of the edibles in my area are distillate based. DIY would still allow you to experience the full spectrum.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I totally appreciate this is the case for yourself & others, but it has not been my experience over the last ten years of vaping.

One or two (three max!) hits from an appropriately powerful vape to cache a bowl has proven good for me and not exasperated my condition - Sublimator, Evo, Elev8r, Daisy, Lily & GrassHopper have all worked well for me in this regard over the years.

At the same time, I can still use my Vapcaps, Vapman, Vaponic etc. on the occasion when I fancy a change, & I still enjoy the overall experience.

I guess there is no 'one size fits all' in this realm as everyone's body is different, and what works for one person by no means gaurantees it will work for the next. Finding what works for yourself may be a journey of trial & error but, at the end of the day, each individual's personal experience is the only thing which counts.

For further info & transparency, I now use a preventer style asthma inhaler, daily, which likely helps in keeping my symptoms in check.

IMO my issue is largely from vaping excessively without t-breaking, so eventually even those one hitters just aren't that powerful, and I have to do a few of them, and that takes its toll over time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with dabs and one hitters... aren't you just reducing the amount of time your respiratory system is exposed to high temp vapor? Like inhaling once or twice over a 30 second period seems like it would be less irritating than slowly puffing away over a few minutes.

Personally, if I couldn't vape for a while, I'd look into making my own alcohol tinctures. They hit a little quicker than traditional edibles. Unfortunately, most of the edibles in my area are distillate based. DIY would still allow you to experience the full spectrum.

It's subjective, but I think the challenge is if you're more susceptible to vapor harshness, doing the whole bowl in one inhalation can even seem more harsh. The vapor community is unique too, cause I've seen people on here who can pull on a vape for like 45 seconds in one breath lol.

IME there's something to not vaping too much herb at once. I seem to have a threshold dose, that I haven't quite figured out entirely what the amount is, but much over it almost automatically creates harshness for me.

Honestly the Dynavap on the smallest bowl setting still milks a bong strongly, and pretty much never irritates me. Kind of this unique combo of fast extraction and dense vapor, without having so much physical vapor volume that it bothers my throat.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired

DougBentley

We have a decent edible forum here if anyone is interested.

Even if your still vaping an edible break, or a T break, every now and then can help. Ive found it isn't hard at all to use mostly or all edibles. Now days we have many more choices than brownies or firecrackers. Nothing wrong with either, just saying there are lots of edible choices although I think most folks would rather make their own over buying edibles unless your a light user.

My switching to edibles was a slow moving progression. I stopped smoking joints in 2014, I enjoyed vaping and have lots of toys still to prove it, lol, but eventually my problems got worse and for the last couple years I mostly use edibles. I do use a cart vape a little bit, but not even daily.

The downside is that it takes planning, and some work, it's usually not instant gratification either, but it's sweet when it all comes together. I have columbian gold capsules that I call happy pills, it's impossible to have a bad mood using these, lol, and other capsules that have most if not all of the varietal differences you notice when vaping. It took me a while to learn these things, and im still learning all the time, so the forum is a handy place to learn and see what others are making and using.

I have asthma and I think the hot dry vapor caused me problems. I was wheezing quite a bit and that cleared up in a week or two when I stopped vaping, and I rarely use an emergency inhaler anymore.
Hey thanks for the reply fellow asthmatic! I feel like I am on a similar path. No more smoking for me. And now I’m starting to cut down on the vapor because it too makes me wheez and tighten.

i went 4 days edibles only (!) which was a nice break on my lungs. Problem is I felt so hungover from edibles haha I’ve never felt this way from smoking. I think I didn’t feel stoned so I ate a bunch and instead of getting me high it just lasted the high longer??

but have you found anything that is more immediate like vaping / smoking? Have you tried tinctures? I haven’t yet. My problems with edibles is the delay and sometimes it feels body high. I am writer and like to use cannabis when I write and the immediate sensation is helpful.

This dispensary near me offers thc water soluble drops. Have you ever tried? Any other recs? Thanks!

Likewise, I used to have a similar problem many years ago. I'm also an asthmatic and my issue started to occur a relatively short time after I transitioned to vaping - although everything was fine, for a while, in the very beginning.

I found session style vaping to be the problem for me - hitting a vape so many times to cache a single bowl ended up making me very wheezy - and like @shredder mentions, I felt it was mostly due to constantly sucking on hot, dry, air/vapor. Back then I was mainly using an Extreme Q at home, paired with an MFLB for on the go.

I managed to resolve my issue by making the switch to mostly using one-hitter-quiter / heavy hitter style vaporizers (specifically, the Sublimator at the time) with which I discovered I could cache a bowl in one massive hit, without suffering the irritation. I realise this may not be quite the same for you or others - and I have no experience of the Tubo Evic so I'm not even sure if this is really applicable - but it may be something worth considering.

As I don't use session style vaporizers on the daily anymore, for the times when I do use them I find I no longer have much of an issue as I once did - although I still have my reliever inhaler on hand should I need it.

It's very interesting to hear of peoples experiences on this subject - and great to see so much friendly advice in the thread. FC is a veritable gold mine of knowledge!

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for this. I had never thought of this but maybe you are on to something.. I’m not sure the difference between session vapes and not session vapes. But I think my problems arise because I take prob 20-30 hits of hot vapor per bowl before it’s cashed. My throat is tired and lungs feel tight after a sesh. Higher heat I need less hits but it makes me cough more.

what vape do you use currently? And is there a way to not make mine a session vape?

So only dabs help you? Do you smoke? I’ve tried dabs before and they rocked me.

Have you tried any deepcleaning of the heater ? Maybe some junk got onto the coils and it is making you cough. I always notice difference with clean and dirty gear. Get a water pipe with heavier diffusion percoaltion , my fc-1000 doesnt even make me cough ,although flavor is not as sharp.
Tubo Evic iis a great vaporizer i own a tuboX ,but there is a fair ammount of glue/epoxy used in the build. It is not the greatest thing for asmathics to have those.

What kind of wood is your TUBO, there are some exotics who are also hell for asmathics.
Oh man I did not know this about the tubo. When I bought it 5 years ago it seemed like the safest bet (wood built, glass on glass, no plastic).

I am not even sure of the wood of my tubo. It was an older prototype version. I was thinking of buying a new one but I’m not sure now with your glue comment.. any super clean medical vapes you recommend?

Thanks I’m going to look into alcoholic tinctures now.
And i think with dabs/ one hitters I am hitting the pipe less but it’s still hotter on my lungs and throat.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh man I did not know this about the tubo. When I bought it 5 years ago it seemed like the safest bet (wood built, glass on glass, no plastic).

I am not even sure of the wood of my tubo. It was an older prototype version. I was thinking of buying a new one but I’m not sure now with your glue comment.. any super clean medical vapes you recommend?

I have not seen any reports of anyone using any wood body vape having allergy issues, usually the allergens associated with exotic woods are from the actual sawdust when you are working with them, or occasionally the sap itself... I think actual reactions especially in our use, are quite rare, but if you are using something like a wood stem without any glass, yeah that's where I wouldn't use a wood that could be more likely to potentially impart another flavor let alone other things... But yeah something like the tubo tetra with everything important in case than glass I really would not worry at all about the type of wood used for the outer shell personally, I look up every wood online in the wood - database, to get a bunch of details when I am deciding on exotics for vapes... I consider the potential negative reactions and I read about them, but they seem pretty rare and certainly nearly full non-risk in this use! Depends on person too

Shit Snacks,

DougBentley

I’m looking over my tubo now and the thing is pretty dirty. I’ve never had it cleaned (besides the bowl itself) and it’s over 5 years old. Maybe that’s part of the problem. Not sure if they offer a clean or if it’s easy to disassemble.

I’m looking at the E-nano. I’ve had the tubo evic for 5 years now and I like it but wondering if there’s something better on the market. I like the wood and glass elements of the tubo.

but I’m concerned about the glue and just overall lack of regulation on these things in general.

so I’m wondering if there’s a medical grade vaporizer? I thought I saw a box one back in the day that was filled with water. Water is a must for my asthma!

DougBentley,

shredder

but have you found anything that is more immediate like vaping / smoking? Have you tried tinctures? I haven’t yet. My problems with edibles is the delay and sometimes it feels body high. I am writer and like to use cannabis when I write and the immediate sensation is helpful.

Yes, a couple edibles ive made work fast. Tinctures and infused oils can work fast. And I make a powdered marijuana edible using tapioca maltodextrin. I think for speed an edible dissolved in your mouth is best.

For the powdered edible I mix a decarbed concentrate like rso, feco, or rosin with liquid lecithin and mct oil pour it on tapioca maltodextrin in a bowl. I mix it up using a fork and when it's mixed well I force it through a colander with a spoon and store in jars. One tsp under the tongue hits me in about 15 minutes, and a full experience in 45-50 minutes, or pretty much like a tincture. (if you want more details, start a thread in the edible section and ill provide more if you want)

I'll add edibles taken with caffeine or a sugary carb gets the effects going quicker. In the morning I put a few drops of an infused mct oil in my coffee. By the time im done with drinking the coffee im already feeling the oil. And plain coffee without mj can clear up any edible related grogginess pretty quickly, at least it does for me.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I’m looking at the E-nano. I’ve had the tubo evic for 5 years now and I like it but wondering if there’s something better on the market. I like the wood and glass elements of the tubo.

Heat Island better than e nano imo, and cheaper, it's the design the EN was based off of, and you can get them even cheaper, his website has been updated toasty-top.com to show what's available, you email him to order, bamboo HI can be $50 + power supply voltage controller for under $20, and then whatever stems or WPA you like, he offers so many variety of styles and materials, very health conscious and he will answer any questions you have!

but I’m concerned about the glue and just overall lack of regulation on these things in general.

Any glue used in the tetra is only on the outside, the wood shell, there is no reason to be concerned about that at all, vaping the path is completely through the glass and steel mesh, the glue has no part in any of this lol

Yes it is possible to clean a tetra, if you skim or search or read the thread, there are some people who remove the heater screen and use a vacuum cleaner and air pump... However you can also send it back to Switzerland, he can clean and rebuild heaters, he can upgrade you to the new tetra heater which is much better than the old tubo heater btw (it has four coils/rods instead of three, better even extraction)

so I’m wondering if there’s a medical grade vaporizer? I thought I saw a box one back in the day that was filled with water. Water is a must for my asthma!

Pretty much every vape can be used through water, there are a variety of different styles and ways, I would suggest skimming through the plugin and portable sections here, see what is popular, start at the most recent pages and skim backwards...

Medical certifications are useless in this context, volcano and mighty have gotten it, and they are far from the purest vapes, you have to trust who you are buying from, again someone like Ralph at Lamart is legit and trustworthy, better than any medical certification we could get I say!

b0

Cloudy...
So only dabs help you? Do you smoke? I’ve tried dabs before and they rocked me.
I don't smoke, that's no bueno. I had to stop smoking years ago, that's when I arrived here.

IMHE proper clean dabs (if you have access to them) are much better, less vapor inhaled for a stronger result + cleaner meds and less byproducts.

In fact, after years doing only dabs, the last few of months I've been vaping flowers all day heavily and only dabs at night and I have the worst asthmatic bronchitis I had in the last 5 years. Just arrived home from E/R (second time this week) and I'm doing a t-break until I feel better. When I resume I will go back to dabs mainly and weed only when I'm out and about drinking or being social and I don't want to smash my face.

May be a coincidence, but only dabs have been much better for me and my lungs.

DougBentley

I don't smoke, that's no bueno. I had to stop smoking years ago, that's when I arrived here.

IMHE proper clean dabs (if you have access to them) are much better, less vapor inhaled for a stronger result + cleaner meds and less byproducts.

In fact, after years doing only dabs, the last few of months I've been vaping flowers all day heavily and only dabs at night and I have the worst asthmatic bronchitis I had in the last 5 years. Just arrived home from E/R (second time this week) and I'm doing a t-break until I feel better. When I resume I will go back to dabs mainly and weed only when I'm out and about drinking or being social and I don't want to smash my face.

May be a coincidence, but only dabs have been much better for me and my lungs.
Hope you feel better! I’m sure you are taking meds but a steam bowl (with herbs like thyme, rosemary in there) helps me clear some phlegm and breathe more openly.
I have access to a nice dispensary so I might try some concentrates. I just don’t like the whole torch process..

b0

Cloudy...
Hope you feel better! I’m sure you are taking meds but a steam bowl (with herbs like thyme, rosemary in there) helps me clear some phlegm and breathe more openly.
I have access to a nice dispensary so I might try some concentrates. I just don’t like the whole torch process..
Thanks for the good wishes :love:

Yeah, the torch bit can be a bit annoying at first, but when you have a nice setup with a torch (or an enail) and some device to check the temperature, you will enjoy the best flavors ever and IMHO the cleanest meds.

Top Bottom