Moderator stress!

weedemon

enthusiast
This is a thread to thank to people who work for this forum trying to keep it the awesome place that it is.

I know you guys probably feel like your getting crap from both ends here. Companies trying to tell you to take shit down, members bitching about w/e... I can only imagine.

I know we have rules here on the forum and I do my best to follow them.

lately though I feel like the mods are my parents and we are being scolded a lil too harshly. I also feel a private message instead of a pubplic telling off would be better in some circumstances.

I just wanna ask the mods to take a step back, vape a session and ask yourselves how strict you guys really wanna be? I could see new potential members getting scarred off and as a result missing out on a fantastic resource that FC really is!

So to sum that up! thanks for all you do guys! and please, lets make FC an inviting place for eager future vapists to join! :peace:

weedemon,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I just wanna ask the mods to take a step back, vape a session and ask yourselves how strict you guys really wanna be? I could see new potential members getting scarred off and as a result missing out on a fantastic resource that FC really is!

weedemon, you might want to be the one to step back and take a hit....

First off, this isn't a democracy. This is a privately owned forum. With rules. Rules that are posted and supposed to be followed. And frankly, I think the mods let a lot go. It's only when things get nasty or the rules are broken that they step in. When you decided to join FC, you agreed to go by those rules.

Can you imagine how difficult it is to monitor this forum every day? Think about all the reading they have to do. The time and energy that goes into it. And then there are the personal emails that come from forum members that they have to deal with. Have you seen how many usernames are registered to this site? You do realize that this forum is not their day job?

I appreciate having a resource like this that is not full of bullshit posts. I appreciate that the mods take the time to evaluate our posts individually. It's what makes this forum the amazing resource that it is. And if new members are scared by the rules of not flaming or trolling, etc., maybe they are better off over at GC. :2c:

momofthegoons,

weedemon

enthusiast
I would agree with your first paragraph for the most part, but there have been 2 or 3 occasions where I have had to ask myself if the mod note was really necessary or not (some have seemed right on that line imo). I have only noticed this as of recent and I think it's gotta be a hell of a job trying to moderate a forum as busy as this one is.

FC has become the forum that is visit the most as of this year. I love it and just don't wanna see harm come to it.

I have been an avid internet message forum user for close to 20 years, and I have seen the demise of some great boards due to a dictatorship being too strict. I would hate to see anything like that develop here! This is my favourite place on the net currently!

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=5858&p=4 post 79 for example, necessary? was a fair question imo if i read the post above it, i wonder the same.

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=6886&p=3
post 61 (pm if anything imo. at no point do i see any criticism on the OP's part on the vape, simply a battery.)

and 62? (i edited my own reply in on that one.) i want to be clear, at no point did i think i was asking to beta test. that was never the intention. I jsut don't want to buy something based off of only info from the company themselves.

also check out post 65 coming from a new member who is thinking exactly the same thing!

there are more examples i think but they are escaping me atm. again i think over all you mods do a fantastic job here and like i said i love this forum. i just think the xmas season combined with everything else life throws at you may be weighing a lil heavy at times? it does to us all! Thanks for the great forum!

maybe this topic itself should have been a pm too? lol

Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member. haha i modded myself!

weedemon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
weedemon said:
This is a thread to thank to people who work for this forum trying to keep it the awesome place that it is.
Thanks! For that part at least. :D

I know you guys probably feel like your getting crap from both ends here.
Too strict, not strict enoughwe hear both. Often. You just can't please everyone. All of the staff members here are very reasonable, but at the end of the day, pleasing everyone takes a back seat to enforcing the rules.

For almost a year this forum had no rules except "Be nice". As the community grew, it became (very) apparent that if we were to continue, we needed a good set of rules. The philosophy behind the rules was, and is, simple: These rules exist to keep the forum fun, informative and manageable.

I can assure you that none of the staff here are power-hungry. Quite the opposite; none of us want to be "the man". That being said, the rules are there for a reason (see the philosophy above), and if we see someone break them we act. You're right; sometimes a private message is how it's done (you don't see these, of course), other times a modnote is left on the post to inform the author and those who read it, that a rule was broken. It's easier on the staff and gets the message across to members who might have missed that rule when they signed up.

I know we have rules here on the forum and I do my best to follow them.
That's appreciated, but you should know that you are breaking one here: Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member. That rule is also stressed in this section's [topic=6805]sticky[/topic]. It's now emphasizedsomething that should have been done alreadyso thanks for the reminder there.

Why does that rule exist? One of the main reasons is to keep threads on topic. You'd be amazed at how fast a thread can be derailed when one member argues a staff decision. Soon there are 5 members chiming in and 20 posts of completely off-topic discussion. Fast forward to someone reading the thread for information on the vapenow they have to go through 2 pages of crap.

The desire to keep threads on topic is also why we don't allow beta testing requests. The original Oracle thread was what prompted this. One person asked about beta testing and within hours there were over 30 posts (now deleted) consisting of "Me too", "+1", "I'm in". Almost anyone on a vapor enthusiast forum would like to beta test a vaporizer, so if someone asks, things snowball quickly. That's why we have a zero tolerance stance on it. If you want an example, [post=174760]here's[/post] a recent one.

IAmKrazy2 is one of the most experienced vapeheads anywhere and would make a great beta tester. His comment was made in earnest and I'm sure he was expecting to pay for it. Even so, 2 posts later and there's a "Me too" post. If the modnotes weren't left quickly you can be sure that there would be more requests.

Regarding AlexSV's post, he is a manufacturer, and they are held to very strict standards here. I'll share an excerpt with you.

fc manufacturer rules said:
You can't mention another company's vaporizer unless it's an informational post in response to a member question or incorrect statement, like 'our design uses ....., while the xyz design uses....'. Even there, you'd be better be absolutely certain that your statement about the other company's design is 100% factual, and that your statement doesn't imply in any way that your design is better. Members though, are free to compare your product to another company's vape. They should not be asking you for a response that involves comparing your product to someone else's, and you should either ignore the post, or just state that you're only allowed to provide info, not comparisons to other brands.

You can't post in a thread that's about another company's vape unless it's a 100% positive post, and you can't mention your products at all unless the thread is about a product your company produces. Members will have more freedom in what they can post than you will. I'm sure it'll be a little frustrating, but we know where we want to draw the lines in order to keep discussion civil. We've structured our rules and moderation to maintain a friendly, peaceful atmosphere, and that will continue to be our goal.

I hope I've helped clarify some of the rules you've addressed and the reasons they exist. A lot of time and effort has been put into them. :)

vtac,
Reactions: Mrmrmrmr

vape4health

I can't imagine all the bullshit you guys go thru. I want to read every post but there is no way I could find the time, shit I miss a lot on the select few threads that I try to stay on top of. Ill say nothing about strictness or lack of because it's not my place, but everyone can agree that we don't want page after page of nothing to do with the subject, right. You can always use chat to just BS.

Sorry if I should not be posting here.

vape4health,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I actually think it's quit refreshing to be on a forum with rules & proper supervision for once. All those cockfights and pissing contests you see on other forums got old real fast. So here's a 'thank you mods' from me as well.

It does seem a lot busier here the last few months though. It has gotten a little better lately, but I often got the idea they could use a few more moderators to keep up with all the new business when going through the latest posts not to long ago. I personally liked it better when this forum was a little smaller like when I first got here last year, I hope they'll install some restrictions to the sign up procedure in the future.

OhTheAgony,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
+100 for the mods from me as well. Any one else notice that the petty "harassment" attacks went up in frequency right after vtac had that unfortunate encounter with those sleezoids from the fake Cloud websites? I think some of this is retaliation, if that's the best they got, definitely amateurs, probably kids.

t-dub

t-dub,

darkrom

Great Scott!
As someone who gets warned a lot I see it from both sides. I tend to try to fix whatever I do wrong, and some things I disagree with. In the end I'd rather play by the rules and get along than argue with Max and get my ass handed to me :lol:

The one thing I appreciate about it is that it seems like they aren't ban crazy since I've never been suspended. Max has had to remind me of the rules a few times, some I don't agree with, but I'm yet to get a vacation from FC. This either means he is very fair and just trying to keep this place on track, or he simply likes breaking my balls but doesn't hate me enough for a ban or suspension. :p

FYI Max I take no offense at being warned and I do try to follow the rules as best as I can. I appreciate the way he handles things without being a dick about the fact that I broke his rules.

darkrom,

StickyShisha2

in the spirit of simplifying long vaporizer threads, I would like to recommend that all the concentrate making posts in the Omicron thread become their own thread.

StickyShisha2,
Top Bottom