Mixing CBD Distillate Vape Oil with rosin to use with ccell catridge?

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I dont think so. Rosin has a lot of waxes,unless you winterize it,it will gunk up the ceramic coil for sure. Some people say it works if you dilute it with MCT oil but i would not vape that shit. Also i suggest you to contact synergy and ask them if they have MCT in their carts,i heard it is a common practice with CBD carts to help avoid separation,which happens because cbd dissolves not as good as the other actives in terpenes.

dynospec

@Abysmal Vapor pretty much summed it up, these cartridges are made for high purity material that has little to none of the waxes and lipids that are contained in rosin and other concentrates before they are winterized.

I have some CBD distillate in a ccell cartridge and it works fine, i mixed in some thc distillate too, they both dont really have terpenes so are really thick and not the best for vaping flavour wise, but it works. The cbd tries to crystallize but it doesnt really matter.

btka

since I am in a non legal state. ... and I liked vaping cbd oil... I thougt I could add rosin for thc... so would it better to use bho or any other concentrate to mix with cbd vape oil and use in ccel catridge... is it very hard to make your own distilate? what would I need and would it be worth it?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You want something as clean as possible, if you can find winterized or dewaxed BHO that might work but anything that isn't saucy to begin with is not going to want to wick that well without adjusting viscosity; especially if it does have residual plant fats and waxes still.

Distillate needs a lot of lab gear and practice to master, definitely not something for the average hobbyist.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
What about pressing out a large amount of rosin and then distilling the rosin?

That way you don't even need to separate a solvent, and the distillate should be the same correct?

Or you can just winterize the rosin with ethanol, filter and evaporate. Under vacuum even better.

But it'll probably be shatter and need something to thin it out.

Still curious about making distillate with rosin though.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What about pressing out a large amount of rosin and then distilling the rosin?

That way you don't even need to separate a solvent, and the distillate should be the same correct?

Or you can just winterize the rosin with ethanol, filter and evaporate. Under vacuum even better.

But it'll probably be shatter and need something to thin it out.

Still curious about making distillate with rosin though.

The distillate would still have plant fats without winterizing first so still not ideal for carts. At that point you might as well extract with ethanol to begin with and just use cryo temps to avoid pulling the fats.

Haven't tried it but I don't see why straight ethanol extract wouldn't work in a CCELL. Might need a partial decarb so it's sappy and not hard candy, don't have much experience with etoh as my state hates it.
High quality hash rosin can be loaded right into a ccell with a little jar heat cure tech.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I can confirm the use of straigth concentrate (bho in my case) thinned with terps or Liquidizer will gunk up the core very fast, I use a half gram cart and taste was nice until I vaped around 0.4 after that the taste is very bad.
The distillate would still have plant fats without winterizing first so still not ideal for carts. At that point you might as well extract with ethanol to begin with and just use cryo temps to avoid pulling the fats.
I'll try that next but how to get cryo working temp? it was always my main issue with winterization... not cold enough...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I can confirm the use of straigth concentrate (bho in my case) thinned with terps or Liquidizer will gunk up the core very fast, I use a half gram cart and taste was nice until I vaped around 0.4 after that the taste is very bad.

I'll try that next but how to get cryo working temp? it was always my main issue with winterization... not cold enough...

I would try dry ice for that, a lot of the BHO guys use dry ice to get things cold enough to de-wax.
It seems like one could actually avoid winterization with a really clean ultra de-wax, I believe that's what a few of the leading cart manufacturers are doing now to produce "liquid live resin" possibly with a partical vacuum decarb or something to melt the crystals.

Last edited:
invertedisdead,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
There are these syringe filters you can use to remove lots of the waxes and fats, it helps a tonne with the coils.

very interesting! I googled that and found differents filter size, from 0.22micron to 0.45 micron... since it looks like you need some strength to pulll it through the filter I think the 0.45 micron is better.

Did you tested that by yourself? Is somebody else tested this filters?

It's something I'm looking forward to test!

Edit: just found this product exists in several filter components: in french Acetate de cellulose, polyamide, polytetra-fluoéthylène,polyvinylidène, esters de cellulose mixte, fibre de verre (glassfibers), polypropylène and polyéthersulfone ... it's a lot and I would like to know which is the best for our purpose and which size is the best...?

Last edited:
PPN,

Mark

John Brown
That's me in the video, so I tested it myself yea. I have been using the 0.22 micron ones for awhile. I have not tested the 0.45 but yea it's a little hard to push it through as you can see with the 0.22

Hopefully the 0.45 micron can still filter as well. Let me know if you try it.

I use 0.22 micron PES. These ones specifically:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0c-20&linkId=6d50c64d21fc712f2204ba7383b6a23d

• MS sterile syringe filters are made with PES membrane filters with polypropylene (PP) housing,using the most advanced methods and design features. The PES syringe filters with GF pre-filter has excellent dirt-holding capacity, which makes a syringe filter a much larger throughput for some “hard to filter” sample."

Mark,

Smokinjoe

I vape cbd rosin

It’s just mixed with pg n terps

Decarb at 230 for 75m n add .15ml pg to a g of rosin, 3-5 drops of terps

It must be a good cart. C cell or q cell

Smokinjoe,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The distillate would still have plant fats without winterizing first

@seaofgreens I may have been wrong about distilled rosin containing plant fats - Raw Garden distills their live resin without any secondary solvents/winterization, which leads me to assume the heavier, higher boiling point lipids may in fact stay behind during distillation. It would definitely be an awesome little science project to test. They do a cryo temp butane extraction though which minimizes the amount of lipids to their saturation/solubility point to begin with. The guys distilling "crude" are still removing fats prior to distillation though so presumably starting with as clean of a product as possible is probably still preferential.

Biggest drawback of distillation is the loss of flavor complexity IMO, though I've noticed that distilled terpenes are more thermally stable, which seems to provide a better shelf life and keep flavor throughout the entire cartridge which is advantageous.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: btka

btka

@seaofgreens I may have been wrong about distilled rosin containing plant fats - Raw Garden distills their live resin without any secondary solvents/winterization, which leads me to assume the heavier, higher boiling point lipids may in fact stay behind during distillation. It would definitely be an awesome little science project to test. They do a cryo temp butane extraction though which minimizes the amount of lipids to their saturation/solubility point to begin with. The guys distilling "crude" are still removing fats prior to distillation though so presumably starting with as clean of a product as possible is probably still preferential.

Biggest drawback of distillation is the loss of flavor complexity IMO, though I've noticed that distilled terpenes are more thermally stable, which seems to provide a better shelf life and keep flavor throughout the entire cartridge which is advantageous.

that is why @Mark is mixing distilate with rosin (for terps and more full spectrum)...

@Mark does this mixture of distilate and rosin is stable (does not separate and how essential is a heating element with stirrer in this process ... and thank you for your videos on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLF9pQKOccbBbF3uB-MgxnA/featured ) ... I enjoy them a lot...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
that is why @Mark is mixing distilate with rosin (for terps and more full spectrum)...

@Mark does this mixture of distilate and rosin is stable (does not separate and how essential is a heating element with stirrer in this process ... and thank you for your videos on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLF9pQKOccbBbF3uB-MgxnA/featured ) ... I enjoy them a lot...

Distilled terpenes aren't as complex tasting as the original flower, but they have the benefit of being pure and thus flavor won't be clouded by degraded terpenes/phenols/flavonoids etc created during the decarb process of a whole plant extract.

More ideal for preserving flavor would maybe be to re-press the rosin to separate the terpene fraction, only problem is the lipids are carried over with the terpenes, I've long theorized this could simply be centrifuged out but Ive never spent the money to try it.

invertedisdead,

btka

Distilled terpenes aren't as complex tasting as the original flower, but they have the benefit of being pure and thus flavor won't be clouded by degraded terpenes/phenols/flavonoids etc created during the decarb process of a whole plant extract.

More ideal for preserving flavor would maybe be to re-press the rosin to separate the terpene fraction, only problem is the lipids are carried over with the terpenes, I've long theorized this could simply be centrifuged out but Ive never spent the money to try it.

you would also need alot of rosin I think (re-press method)... (or bubble hash/dry sift hash)... and also how will you collect the seperated terpenes fraction (looks very sappy)... I have pressed rosin with this consistency but had problems to collect from parchemnt...

think jar tek would be more effective... (what happens with lipids and waxes when seperating thca and terpenes with jar tek method)

Also thought about centrifugation (it is also not so expensive) do not know what the filters would cost... and about clogging....

but I would be already happy if I could mix cbd distilate with rosin to use in carts... but do not know if it will seperate with time or the cart will clogg fast...

Mark

John Brown

Yes it stays stable.

Distilling rosin itself will bring some fats and lipids. The thing is, a small amount doesn't matter in vape pens. They still work great as there was fats and waxes in the rosin I mixed into the distillates but it stayed consistant and didn't have any issues in the vape tank or dab rig.

Mark,

Mark

John Brown
Another method is pressing the rosin into THCA and then decarbing the THCA which basically turns it into distillate. (Or a distillate like substance, obliviously no distillation occured in the press)

It's a relatively pure form of THC without solvents.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Another method is pressing the rosin into THCA and then decarbing the THCA which basically turns it into distillate. (Or a distillate like substance, obliviously no distillation occured in the press)

It's a relatively pure form of THC without solvents.

I've heard it referred to as "crystallate" when made that way. Seen a dude who did that, then distills the terpene portion and reintroduces for "solventless cartridges."

That's a ton of work though!

invertedisdead,

derosavapore

Solo canotto!
Happy new year everybody!
Here I find a lot of answers I was looking for. Thank you, this ccell thing was frustrating to me also. Taste was terrible no matter what I did. Now I see why. Waxes and lipids are the problem. In a not legal state a knock out Problem to me cause this winterizing, decarbing, terpenes adding, liquidizing, dry ice cooling...
Holy sauce, compared to a simple good rosin hit through a sai or a rig, a q tip after. To me this is the winner combo.
Maybe if done right a ccell tastes good as well and wins by stealth but to much trouble imo. Possibly after laws are changing.

derosavapore,

btka

mixing cbd distilate with terps with rosin worked great... no seperation... no crystalization... so far...
only problem is I get bubbles where the holes to the cearmic heating element are situated...

I tried to hold the carts capped under hot watter frome tube... then I shake them... and can get rid of the bubble but after a while it forms again... any clue someone? @Mark
Also tried to draw on cart with bottom (where the contact is) uncapped and capped---

Btw I use ccell carts...

btka,
Top Bottom