• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Milaana II by RastaBuddahTao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
For those of you who don't know, @RastaBuddhaTao is pretty active on Instagram and has shared some information on this and the 3D printed option which may be coined the Milaana III. So with that I thought it was about time to get this thread started.

As many of you know Ryan is an engineer and loves to design. He really can't help himself. While he was waiting for Splinter parts he came up with this in his head, produced it within hours and shipped me the only unit made the very next day.

Now I am a huge fan of the Milaana. It had been my daily driver for a very long time but since I got this Milaana II my OG's are all sitting in the drawer. Let's start with pics of the II and then I'll show some comparisons.

These first ones are ones that Ryan took. Way better quality....
CMxXSrv.jpg

M6fSJuQ.jpg

As you can see there are some design changes.

It's smaller for one. Not by a whole lot but the difference seems amazingly smaller when you hold it in your hand.

The air intake has also been removed from the top and moved to the side above the button. This change is significant and positive in my opinion. Smaller is better but the inlet being smaller also creates a bit more draw restriction which in my opinion is a good thing. This especially for novice users. I just think getting good quality draws is easier. Plus the intake can be carbed to help pull the heat up from underneath the load. Don't do that too long or you'll combust! I got greedy in the beginning and did just that! Beyond that it's just a ton of fun and adds more control to an already excellent vape in that department.

So size and relocation of the intake (carb) are the only significant changes from the original. Here are some pictures I took to compare. Sorry the the crappy quality. I'm no photographer....

OG Millana's on the ends and Milaana II in the middle.....
gHchY9L.jpg

yiFN1IB.jpg

NFCdJiE.jpg

You will also see that the battery door has been flipped..
HqpEkcx.jpg

Again the size difference is small but it feels significant when you hold it. I tried to show the difference in your hand. Take a look at where my thumb extends to for comparison.
GwegqYP.jpg

YODInOS.jpg

So what questions are out there? Ryan is making more to get additional feedback but right now I have the only unit. It's been a ton of fun playing with it!

Last edited:

mixchu69

For those of you who don't know, @RastaBuddhaTao is pretty active on Instagram and has shared some information on this and the 3D printed option which may be coined the Milaana III. So with that I thought it was about time to get this thread started.

As many of you know Ryan is an engineer and loves to design. He really can't help himself. While he was waiting for Splinter parts he came up with this in his head, produced it within hours and shipped me the only unit made the very next day.

Now I am a huge fan of the Milaana. It had been my daily driver for a very long time but since I got this Milaana II my OG's are all sitting in the drawer. Let's start with pics of the II and then I'll show some comparisons.

These first ones are ones that Ryan took. Way better quality....
CMxXSrv.jpg

M6fSJuQ.jpg

As you can see there are some design changes.

It's smaller for one. Not by a whole lot but the difference seems amazingly smaller when you hold it in your hand.

The air intake has also been removed from the top and moved to the side above the button. This change is significant and positive in my opinion. Smaller is better but it the inlet being smaller also creates a bit more draw restriction which in my opinion is a good thing. This especially for novice users. I just think getting good quality draws is easier. Plus the intake can be carbed to help pull the heat up from underneath the load. Don't do that too long or you'll combust! I got greedy in the beginning and did just that! Beyond that it's just a ton of fun and adds more control to an already excellent vape in that department.

So size and relocation of the intake (carb) are the only significant changes from the original. Here are some pictures no took to compare. Sorry the the crappy quality. I'm no photographer....

OG Millana's on the ends and Milaana II in the middle.....
gHchY9L.jpg

yiFN1IB.jpg

NFCdJiE.jpg

You will also see that the battery door has been flipped..
HqpEkcx.jpg

Again the size difference is small but it feels significant when you hold it. I tried to show the difference in your hand. Take a look at where my thumb extends to for comparison.
GwegqYP.jpg

YODInOS.jpg

So what questions are out there? Ryan is making more to get additional feedback but right now I have the only unit. It's been a ton of fun playing with it!
Can I have your milanna 1 on the far right? It's a stunner. U asked what questions are out there.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
@Other Side Hey bro. Thanks for kicking this one off. Man, what a beauty. And it sure is smaller than I expected - very nice! The slightly different sizes during Mi1 development were already ‘feelable’, much nicer haptics on my canary exotic - and I thought it was small.. Now this one is really a bigger size leap in my book - it’s small! Really dig the design and mixed woods. And that carb play is gonna be fun :tup:

Just one thing you forgot to mention: the Mi2 base (cap) is square to have a better stand! Not that I ever knocked mine over. But definitely a functional improvement in that department. :)

It’s just a matter of time (and money ;)) to join the Mi2 train!

Love RBT:bowdown::luv::love:

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
@Other Side Hey bro. Thanks for kicking this one off. Man, what a beauty. And it sure is smaller than I expected - very nice! The slightly different sizes during Mi1 development were already ‘feelable’, much nicer haptics on my canary exotic - and I thought it was small.. Now this one is really a bigger size leap in my book - it’s small! Really dig the design and mixed woods. And that carb play is gonna be fun :tup:

Just one thing you forgot to mention: the Mi2 base (cap) is square to have a better stand! Not that I ever knocked mine over. But definitely a functional improvement in that department. :)

It’s just a matter of time (and money ;)) to join the Mi2 train!

Love RBT:bowdown::luv::love:
Oh yes good catch! I also forgot to mention that the cut is symmetrical now which adds to the whole sleekness feel.

analytika

Milaana 1 size is perfect for my hand, room for my fingers is nice. Already seems small for the stem form factor.

Smaller body in the quest for outdoor portability? But who sees an 18mm glass stem system as primarily a portable? Maybe go to 14mm glass and brand it the Milaana Mini?

The carb, I can't imagine what Ryan is thinking.

Unrestricted airflow is the A#1 feature of the Milaana. Lowering atmospheric pressure to facilitate extraction is usually a strategy to compensate for limitations the Milaana ... doesn't have. Or has the heater been downgraded?

If I want to carb, I'll pull out the OmniVap. Who wants to suck on a hose when you can suck on a straw?

Two years later, still a pick, no MOSFET?

Last edited:

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Milaana 1 already seems small for the stem form factor. Its size is perfect for my hand, room for my fingers is nice.

The carb, I can't imagine what Ryan is thinking.

Unrestricted airflow is the A#1 feature of the Milaana. Lowering atmospheric pressure to facilitate extraction is usually a strategy to compensate for factors that just aren't lacking in the Milaana. If I want to carb, I'll pull out the OmniVap.
I understand that there are a lot of fans of the unrestricted airflow. It has a place in my heart as well. But I am an enthusiast with a lot of experience and understand the technique requirements of different vaporizer types. If you want to impress a lager audience you have to make it a little easier and that's the deal here.

I also agree that restriction typically is compensation for other factors but thats obviously not the case here. It's funny you mention the Omnivap because that's actually what inspired this. Remember the Dynavap $20 gift a M promo? I gifted a few and @RastaBuddhaTao was one of them. He told me it inspired this.

Now that said part of the relocation of the inlet was to enable the slimming of the unit. In other words it doesn't have to be used as a carb but you can if you want. I do particularly early in my session when I want to heat soak the load.

As for real estate on the side, there is room to leave it open if you want and still have your fingers comfortably grip the unit. Ryan said he could even make it shorter with some changes and I told him he's getting to the point where it would negativity impact the comfortable grip but I don't think we're there yet with this version. I wear a size L glove by the way and they are typically tight as to where I could get away with an XL if that gives you some perspective.

As for the diameter of the inlet and subsequent restriction, well this is the first unit. We didn't test other sizes but I suspect some might want to test something a little wider or even try to widen it themselves. I did suggest Ryan incorporate an impression around the inlet with the logo to provide some tactical feedback to the user as to the location.

Last edited:

analytika

If you want to impress a lager audience you have to make it a little easier and that's the deal here.
Can you explain what's "made easier" for "a larger audience" by any of these design choices?

The carb adds another variable, and complexity. Hearing that an experienced user combusted out of the gate, not encouraging.

[deleted comment on location of the carb, my misunderstanding].

Last edited:
analytika,
Reactions: muunch

AJS

Calm Consistency
Can you explain what's "made easier" for "a larger audience" by any of these design choices?
I can give 2 examples. The Splinter has reduced airflow compared to the Milaana and I can pull hard or slow and get vapor pretty much no matter what. It's just easier with less open airflow because your breath has LESS of an impact, but still an impact nonetheless.

Second example is the Zion. This doesn't only pertain to me but multiple users too including Ryan himself. When you put tape over the air inlet and poke a hole in it to reduce airflow, the Zion can get thicker hits using a lower temperature. The hits are less diluted with air and easier to achieve. Also increases flavor. Your breath still affects the hit you achieve, but has an easier threshold to avoid error.

Hope this helps paint a good picture of the reasoning from my perspective.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer

The carb adds another variable, and complexity. Hearing that an experienced user combusted out of the gate, not encouraging.

Putting the carb on the underside, where it cannot be seen during the draw, seems like a bad design choice. I check the air intake points often on other units; it's a pleasure that it's *right there* on the Mi. I'd have to fight the impulse to flip the Mi2 upside down to take a look, and I can already see stems going a'crash'n.
@AJS already beat me to it and did a nice job with his examples but I'll add a little more to help clarify.

What I mean by larger audience is Ryan is trying to make a living on all this. He is not a retired old man doing this to keep himself busy. He wants to make people happy but would like to make a living as well. This is also the reason this and most other RBT offerings will be made in smaller batches with mainly exotic woods while the Splinter will be the main focus for a more cost effective build that may have more widespread appeal and overall margin potential.

And in my experience handing a noob a vaporizer with a wide open draw typically yields mediocre results at best. These vapes require the user to regulate their draw which is not always easy for noobs to understand especially when they don't have someone coaching them. A little more restriction takes a lot of that out of the equation and @AJS already pointed out all the benefits.

As for complexity, combustion, ECT just think of this as a relocated air inlet to allow for a smaller footprint if the use of the carb term bothers you. Again you don't have to use it as a carb if you don't want to. As for my combustion incident it was like the second time I used it and I was intentionally pushing it. There is no more risk of combustion with this vs the wide open version of the early RBT designs (as long as you don't completely cover the inlet for too long). It's just different. And it's not on the underside (like the Zion), it's on the side just above the button. Check the pics for clarity. And there is no reason to check the intake (unless you are worried about it being contaminated with foreign material for which there are solutions if you are that concerned), so maybe you can clarify the concern there?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks for starting us off here @Other Side! Like others I am impressed with how small it is, seems even more compact than my original beta that was RBT's first official Milaana I believe. Obviously I am a big fan of the vape, back on Zion again lately, but the text below my name is more than an inside joke for Archer fans ;)

This actually gets Milaana closer to the original RBT design experiments in the old Zion days, I think @pakalolo may even have an early unit with a side air intake himself... Might've been 14mm, but yeah that helped determine how 18mm is RBT standard ofcourse

I do have a question actually about if a second or even third intake hole has been considered or tested for an actual carb like experience? Covering different holes like a flute depending on your batt level for extraction? Probably not so necessary, but hey its early right, just spitballing

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Yeah not even a test of a different diameter hole much less multiple holes. I think it's a good idea but as you can already hear from other members it is a departure from the simplicity of the Milaana I and that won't be popular for some.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Many experiments where conducted to optimize the required back pressure for the technology on each application. Users should experience more even ABV and improved efficiency on Mi2 and Splinter.

The work @Other Side did to test 5 Splinter interations over the last 6 months determined the optimum size and location of the Inlet. This learning directly applied to Mi2 since the heater is the same.

The final result was Valadidated by the last two months of Beta testing kindly provided by OS.

Over the last few years OS and I have developed working relationship that allows RBT to get rapid and relevant feedback to accelerate development. OS is "The Master Beta"

@Other Side thanks for all you do as a friend of RBT

ZC

Yeah, I'm ready for this to be my 4th Milaana.

It looks beautiful, both the contrasting wood, and the new design changes.

I'd echo the sentiment that I'd like to see more upgrades. A less jerry-rigged safety solution than the pick would compliment the new, more modern design. I'd also love to see and a voltage screen on the bottom cap, but maybe I'm alone in that.

Either way, it looks great. Nice job Ryan.

little maggie

These are absolutely beautiful. With the splinter coming any day and hanging out on the iheat waiting list I have too many vapes already including 3 milaanas. I don't need another vape. But everything that RBT has made is incredible. I'm worried this may be irresistable.

hippogriff

A less jerry-rigged safety solution than the pick would compliment the new, more modern design.
The pick serves an addition purpose - it holds the stem firmly in place. I've missed this feature a couple times w/ my Splinter, when the friction from my lips was greater than the friction of the gong and the stem unexpectedly came free. Broke a favorite mouthpiece that way.

ZC

My use case is probably different than yours but I've never used the pick and literally never had a properly fitted stem fall out. The only stems that fall out are those that are too long and press against the heater screen. I simply don't use those stems.

I get it though, the pick is a perfectly practical and functional solution, it just doesn't fit the aesthetic IMO.

ZC,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'd also love to see and a voltage screen on the bottom cap, but maybe I'm alone in that.

Not alone mate. 5 colors to chose from, embedded in the base >> https://www.banggood.com/0_28-Inch-2_5V-30V-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-p-974258.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Of course it would have to be wired in such a way that it's only active when you press the trigger to close the circuit, otherwise it would slowly drain the battery when you are not using it. And that would only give us the voltage under load, that is, including the heavy sag, and not the resting voltage we usually measure. Yet it would still be useful.

But having to check the cell voltage externally everytime I have to use the device is an annoyance clearly. Yes of course one might say that you know pretty fast when the cell is flat because the device is anemic, but I've drained some cells down to 2.5V because it still produces vapor when you insist lol!

That's the problem with Li-Ion, when the cell is really flat-lined it's way too late and over-discharged past the damaging point.

Last edited:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. Love the display idea! On an early Beta unit provided to @pakalolo an exterior LED voltage display was attached for provide data. Totally doable but finding an ultra small LED voltage read-out proved difficult. Agree a better battery securing method with improved safety cut-off would be good improvements. This design was time limited so all great things to consider with Mi3 as over 300 Mi2 bodies are in process.

Waiting list coming to the www soon. Ike said once the pre-orders for Splinter are complete he will post the waiting list for Mi2 and the Open Source project. Ike is also working on a way to perk all previous customers as it's folks like @ZC that made RBT a reality.

With that, it's time to go work on Splinter... today, is a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom