• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

mechanical separation of ABV from coconut oil

Old_muel

Righto so I see some of you extract the actives left in your ABV using coconut or another oil/fat/lipid source as a solvent, great for getting every last bit from your stash & makes for an excellent sedative due to containing the byproducts of the degradation of THC, namely CBN, very sleepy stuff, I use Badkat Kitty Smiles' method of multiple 1hr gentle oven heatings (100c) in a covered dish with overnight freezings in between (to break down cell walls) & it works an absolute treat, only negative is I detest squeezing it through muslin/cheesecloth by hand it's a royal pain in the arse & every time I tell myself next time I'll figure something out to do it mechanically but never get around to actually sorting something. Main idea's been a hand crank nut, seed & oil expellor which is basically a steel auger, but kinda expensive which I'd try justifying purchasing by also using it for it's intended purpose, but im wondering if anyone's got a cheaper, easier or a crafty DIY method happening or can think of one. I do have a cold press juicer (auger type) I'm very tempted to test on, anyone tried that? Only concern might be hot/warm oil on the plastic but I think it'd be fine, though would get murdered if I broke it. What about some type of mop bucket mechanism, or press ala' rosin? Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Old_muel

Old_muel,

shredder

Righto so I see some of you extract the actives left in your ABV using coconut or another oil/fat/lipid source as a solvent, great for getting every last bit from your stash & makes for an excellent sedative due to containing the byproducts of the degradation of THC, namely CBN, very sleepy stuff, I use Badkat Kitty Smiles' method of multiple 1hr gentle oven heatings (100c) in a covered dish with overnight freezings in between (to break down cell walls) & it works an absolute treat, only negative is I detest squeezing it through muslin/cheesecloth by hand it's a royal pain in the arse & every time I tell myself next time I'll figure something out to do it mechanically but never get around to actually sorting something. Main idea's been a hand crank nut, seed & oil expellor which is basically a steel auger, but kinda expensive which I'd try justifying purchasing by also using it for it's intended purpose, but im wondering if anyone's got a cheaper, easier or a crafty DIY method happening or can think of one. I do have a cold press juicer (auger type) I'm very tempted to test on, anyone tried that? Only concern might be hot/warm oil on the plastic but I think it'd be fine, though would get murdered if I broke it. What about some type of mop bucket mechanism, or press ala' rosin? Any other ideas anyone?

A lot of people use nut bags and potato ricers.

You can also put the left overs in nearly boiling water and then put it in the freezer.

The oil will coagulate on the water as it cools. Use a slotted spoon to get the oil and pat dry on a paper towel.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
What I did once was get a really large syringe, like a giant one. Drill holes in the end of it and add whatever you want to use as a filter inside. I used coffee filters with great success, but you are probably gonna need something less fine for coconut oil.

Low waste and little mess, works great.

You would want to do this as fast as you can and clean the syringe thoroughly afterwards though as the silicone in the syringe plunger will probably absorb the oil and expand if left for too long.

Old_muel

Hell yeah a potato ricer should do the job nicely! And fuck yeah tie the nut bag/cheesecloth off & dunk in boiling water like a tea bag, remove & then refrigerate water to separate the oil, just like the old school boiling in water with butter method, dunno why I didn't think of that already actually:doh: See this is why I love this place, & ya know what, that actually negates the need to do such a thorough squeezing in the first place, & therefore probably even using anything mechanical, this is too perfect!
Thanks so much man!

Last edited:

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
I make small batches and use a cone shaped paper coffee filter to perform the first separation. Then I squeeze the filter and associated solids in a manual lime squeezer. Works ok, and since I had all that in stock already required no new equipment.

NomDePlumez

I use a bag for kava kava and rolling pin while still the oil is still hot in a shallow baking pan, then I scrap it I to a jar scrap into a jar with a spatula.

NomDePlumez,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

NomDePlumez

I use a bag for kava kava and rolling pin. The main bulk of the oil is pressed through a French press. The bag containing the remainder of the herb is then laid in a shallow baking pan and rolled with the pin.

I let the oil from the bag cool and scrap it I to a jar scrap into a jar with a spatula.

NomDePlumez,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom