Maryland Medical & Recreational Marijuana

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Maryland again this year has medical marijuana laws up for vote in the house and senate. Delegate Mike McDermott (R) is only willing to vote for this bill if it has his amendment added to it. That amendment states that all medical marijuana patients with a prescription must take their medicine either with a vaporizer, orally or via injection.

What do you think about this? is it a step forward or yet another way to squash our rights?

Do other state laws contain amendments like this?

Unfortunately, if these laws even pass, I will not be able to get a prescription under the law because my condition isn't on 'THE LIST'.

herbgirl,

lwien

Cali doesn't have an amendment like that, but in a way, I kind of like it being that if one is taking MJ for medical reasons, smoking it is counter-productive, unless of course, a terminally ill patient is using it for symptomatic relief. There should be an amendment to the amendment.

Also, what about a transdermal patch?

btw, out of curiosity, can you post up that list?

lwien,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
here's the bills
http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/bills/sb/sb0308f.pdf
http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/bills/hb/hb0291f.pdf

and the article that i pulled the info from
http://www.delawareonline.com/artic...-marijuana-bill?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

as per NORML's Alan St. Pierre
"According to the House's bill, to qualify for a prescription, a resident must have a chronic or debilitating disease that produces cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures or severe and persistent muscle spasms"

separately listed is the 'any other condition that is severe and resistant to conventional treatment.'
great - they'll make me run thru all the Bipolar meds on the market again just to prove that my condition is resistant.
sweet! i fucking love side effects! :rolleyes:

It also does not appear that patients will be able to grow their own medicine.

it's a start, but a double strike in my book - unfortunately it will be useless to me.

herbgirl,

aero18

vaporist
I wonder if it is illegal to smoke/vaporize oral opiate-based pain medication.

aero18,

Nosferatu

So If I accidentally combust with my vape I have broken the law! I am all for vaporizing but a law like that cant be enforced and where do you draw the line? NO VAPING OVER 448F or its off to jail!

Nosferatu,

Nycdeisel

Nosferatu said:
So If I accidentally combust with my vape I have broken the law! I am all for vaporizing but a law like that cant be enforced and where do you draw the line? NO VAPING OVER 448F or its off to jail!

Well I dont think that would be how it works... but ok :rolleyes:

I can see why this could be a good or bad thing, and Im not really sure what I think of this. I do know that some cannabinoids just cant be released through vaporizing without crossing into combustion. However, there are also edibles, good for pain relief which one could also receive from smoking, but are not really counter productive in any way.

Its hard to have an opinion without good examples, since this is a new thing.

and ugh, "THE LIST" :mad:

Nycdeisel,

Nosferatu

Well I was kinda joking but cmon you cant allow vaping and not smoking, thats just ridiculous and would be so hard to enforce

Nosferatu,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
OK, after fully reading the law, i think the intent is pure. this dude really wants to make sure that harm reduction measures are taken when ingesting cannabis for medical reasons. fair enough - hard from an allopathic medicine standpoint to see it as a medicine when it's being smoked and producing all kinds of nasties.

here's the rub - it excludes (by default - not actually listed) transdermal patches, topical preparations, and suppositories or inhaled mists. some of the most effective ways to get this medicine into a patient who really needs it and cannot take it by mouth. :/

once again a case of good intentions run amok.

there is actually a bill in the house now that is suggesting reducing the fine for under a zip to $100, making it a civil offense.

this law would actually be better for those like me. i don't break the law as a rule, but the medicine i need for my condition causes me to be a law breaker every day. I wish it was not that way. I have instilled in my boys a sense of honesty and integrity - doing the right thing - and I myself am a hypocrite telling them how important it is to follow the law and not following it myself for this one thing.

if the medical bills pass, i probably would not be able to afford dispensary prices anyway, as we would not be allowed to 'shop around' you have to pick a provider and stick with them (WTF monopoly??) unless you want to fill out a bunch of paperwork and pay fees to the state. again.

so i'm still holding out for full legalization - then i could grow the right strains for me and have all the QC taken care of by me and me alone.

ten years maybe? fifteen? it is inevitable that the federal government will have to start rethinking the scheduling of marijuana when more than half of the states consider it legal in some way.

herbgirl,

Baron23

Hi guys - was going to start my own thread on Maryland Medical Marijuana Program but see there is one from 2011 so let's resurrect this zombie and give it some life.

Yes, I live in Maryland, "The Free State", where the only thing that seems truly free is our state and county government's increasing demand for tax dollars; very tightly coupled with incredible, mind numbing government incompetence.

To very quickly recap, Maryland first passed MMJ in 2013 but the law required that the program be completely managed and administered by major in-state academic organizations (read the U of MD and Johns Hopkins). However, apparently the resident geniuses in Annapolis never bothered to ask any of these academic organizations if they wanted to participate. This seems clear as NO qualified organizations signed on to participate in the program. This is for the easily foreseen and easily understood reasons that these universities/medical schools/hospital systems all are involved with Federal money via grants etc and all of them use the banking system which also brings in the Feds and interstate commerce....you would have thought that law makers may have been able to anticipate this, but sadly no.

In 2014, Maryland amended the law significantly to allow commercial growers, processors, and dispensaries; determined by a merit only proposal evaluation with all personal information to include owner identify, race, and sex redacted from the proposals prior to going to the eval boards. Since then, Maryland has progressed at a glacial pace but in the last six months has issued preliminary licenses to these three categories of companies. Prelim licenses are followed up by in-depth financial and criminal background investigations resulting in a final license, this process is going on now.

Dispensaries are anticipated to be open and stocked somewhere late in the year 2017 (and yes, many eligible patients have already passed away while waiting for this program).

THEN comes Del Cheryl Mills (D) from Baltimore who is the leader of the Maryland Legislative Black Caucus. To Ms. Mills, the merit only evaluation of proposals was flawed and must be started over again from scratch because HER special interest group (black Americans) did not receive any special consideration, that awards are not sufficiently diverse, and she believes that there should be a race based set aside for African Americans (apparently any Asians, Latinos, Jews or other minorities that live in Ms. Mills' district don't count with her). This is despite the fact that there is no history of discrimination in the MMJ industry, for the simple reason that we don't have an MMJ industry in Maryland...yet.

Nice summary article from this last Dec: http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/12/27/maryland-medical-marijuana-finally-reality/70061/

NOW (like in the last week), the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission has come out with preliminary statistics of the racial/minority make-up of the license winners which, by my reading, completely undermines Ms. Mills' assertions and demands. See for yourself:

Preliminary Industry Ownership Demographics Industry Totals
35% Racial and Ethnic Diversity Participation
57% Minority Participation Including Females

Preliminary Industry Employee Demographics Industry Totals
58% Racial and Ethnic Diversity Participation
75% Minority Participation Including Females

Details can be found here to include detailed break downs of the above totals:

http://mmcc.maryland.gov/default.aspx

I would like to be very, very clear. I am 100% fully and personally committed to equal opportunity for every American. I believe, based on my reading and research, that equal opportunity to all was provided by Maryland's MMJ licensing process.

I hope this is helpful to anyone in Maryland awaiting this long delayed program.

Last edited:
Baron23,

Baron23

Companies Bumped as Finalists for Pot Licenses Fight for Answers

BY BRIAN WHITE
ASSOCIATED PRESS

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Two Maryland companies say the state is wrongly refusing to explain why they were abruptly bumped off a list of 15 finalists to be licensed to grow medical marijuana in the state.

Green Thumb Industries and Maryland Cultivation and Processing have asked a Baltimore judge to decide whether the state is abusing the “deliberative process privilege,” which allows internal deliberations among members of a state commission to be kept secret.

Assistant Attorney General Heather Nelson cited that rule in more than 80 objections to attorneys’ questions during the January deposition of Deborah Miran – the only person on a Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission subcommittee who voted against replacing the two companies with others ranked lower.

Raquel Guillory, a spokeswoman with the attorney general’s office, said the office doesn’t comment on ongoing litigation. “The appropriate forum to litigate this is in the courtroom, not in the press,” she said.

Jennifer Bevan-Dangel, executive director of Common Cause Maryland, said the case reinforces the government watchdog group’s concerns about abuse of such exemptions.

“We are hopeful that the judge will take a close look at the overuse of privilege here and hopefully open the door to more transparency in the case,” Bevan-Dangel said.

Last summer, Maryland selected 15 finalists from 145 applicants to grow and process medical marijuana, but none has received final approval. Maryland is one of 28 states that allow medical marijuana. The initiative has attracted intense interest in a market that stands to be lucrative because the law allows wide patient access. (and the sad saga continues)

Baron23,

Baron23

2017 brings new opportunity for progress

The most recent 2016 poll shows that 61% of Marylanders — and 64% of likely voters — want the legislature to end prohibition by taxing and regulating marijuana for adult use. This is a dramatic increase over just two years before, when 54% of Marylanders supported legalization. MPP, along with our allies in the Maryland Cannabis Policy Coalition, is working hard to pass a bill to do just that. The bill has also been changed to address equity and efficiency concerns that arose during implementation of the medical program in Maryland, allow more small businesses to participate, and ensure that people are not unfairly excluded from participation in the industry.

To find out when the bill will be introduced and get involved in helping pass this important reform, please sign up for alerts from the Maryland Cannabis Policy Coalition, and consider donating to or endorsing the coalition. You can also email your lawmakers in support of ending marijuana prohibition.

Medical marijuana program implementation slow and controversial

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC) has announced which businesses received preliminary licenses to grow, process, and dispense medical marijuana. Unfortunately, the MMCC did not “actively seek to achieve ethnic [and] racial diversity” as required by law. As a result, the legislative Black Caucus has announced plans to introduce emergency legislation in order to ensure greater diversity. None of the growers are led by African Americans, who make up around a third of the state’s population and a disproportionate share of those who have been criminalized for marijuana possession. A compromise solution would increase the arbitrary cap of 15 licenses, allowing more diverse businesses to enter the new industry, while ensuring that existing businesses can move forward to get medicine to suffering patients as quickly as possible.

Dispensaries are expected to finally begin opening in mid-to-late 2017, meaning that Maryland will have one of the slowest rollouts of any comparable state. The impact on patients is exacerbated by the fact that Maryland does not allow patients to grow their own medicine.

See above post about actual diversity figures in licensing in Maryland vice the "we want ours set aside" approach of Del Cheryl Mills and the Maryland Black Legislative Caucus. To properly express my views on Del. Mills I will have to go to the Fuck You thread.

Baron23,

Baron23

Maryland makes a hash of its medical marijuana program

By Editorial Board March 4 at 7:13 PM
MARYLAND’S ROLLOUT of its medical marijuana program has been called “ one of the slowest” of the 28 states that allow it. Approved about three years ago, the program is still months away from being operational and that might be optimistic. The length of time, one would hope, means there was careful planning and follow-through — but sadly, that has not been the case. Instead, the process has been tainted by self-dealing and complaints of racial bias, secrecy and political interference.

Getting most of the attention was Friday’s official censure for a state lawmaker who was less than forthright about his dual roles in the state’s push for medical marijuana. The House of Delegates reprimanded Del. Dan K. Morhaim (D-Baltimore County) after the ethics committee found he had improperly advocated changes to medical marijuana without publicly disclosing his role as a paid consultant to a prospective cannabis dispensary. Critics saw the punishment as a “slap on the wrist,” but at least lawmakers took some action in response to unacceptable behavior.

Equal concern should also be directed at the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission and how it selected the businesses to receive the limited number of lucrative licenses to grow and process cannabis. Recent revelations in a lawsuit brought by two companies that were abruptly bumped from the list of 15 finalists raise questions about whether political connections may have played a role.

Maryland Cultivation and Processing and Green Thumb Industries had been ranked No. 8 and No. 12, respectively, by a panel of outside experts advising the selection subcommittee. The subcommittee voted unanimously on July 27 to approve them, but two days later the subcommittee’s chairman, Cheverly Police Chief Harry Robshaw, persuaded three other members to reverse their votes and instead approve two lower-ranked firms. One of them proposed to do business in Prince George’s County and has political ties that include Maryland Fraternal Order of Police head Vince Canales and former state secretary of health Nelson Sabatini as well as representation by high-profile Annapolis lobbyist Gerard Evans. The company has said the team was assembled based on experience and expertise and it never tried to influence the commission. Commission officials have said the change was needed to enhance geographic diversity, something required by the statute legalizing medical marijuana.

Why then were applicants not told that geography would be determinant? And how did this only emerge as a concern 48 hours after the initial vote? Mr. Robshaw’s explanation that the subcommittee initially didn’t have complete information on the counties in which the applicants would operate was contradicted in a sworn deposition by former commissioner Deborah Miran, the lone holdout in making the swap, who said the subcommittee had all the geographic information before the unanimous vote.

A spokeswoman for the commission told us that allegations of political favoritism are “false, unsubstantiated, and based on rumor and conjecture.” It is clear that more needs to be known about these events, so it is troubling that the state attorney general’s office has blocked the release of information — including the dissent of Ms. Miran, who curiously was subsequently denied reappointment to the commission. We hope the judge hearing this case will make clear the need for transparency in facts and actions taken by public regulatory bodies.

I'm not a religious person at all......but I'm hoping I'm wrong cause that will mean that all of these f*cking *sshole, self-serving politicians really will burn in hell.

Baron23,

MyCollie

I wish they would just let approved patients purchase in DC during this process. I know that was discussed. The minute they see business going outside the state I'll bet they'd speed things up a bit.

MyCollie,

Baron23

I wish they would just let approved patients purchase in DC during this process. I know that was discussed. The minute they see business going outside the state I'll bet they'd speed things up a bit.
I'm not sure what happened to the DC bill providing reciprocity to other states if you have a valid MMJ card. It passed the city council and went to the Mayor who I believe signed it....but then it goes for 30 days for Congressional review and is in effect by default if not objected to by the end of that period...I think.

In any case, with Maryland still not having a patient registry open (and may I live long enough to see it), even if passed I couldn't go to DC and purchase as I can't get a card cause.....THERE AIN'T NO FUCKING CARDS BEING ISSUE YET AFTER ALMOST FOUR FUCKING YEARS! :bang::rant::goon::rant::bang:

Gosh, I feel much better now. LOL

Whoops, I found the legislative history and the amendment is now in effect as of 18 Feb 2017. See here:

http://lims.dccouncil.us/Legislation/B21-0210?FromSearchResults=true

Still no help for neighbors in MD cause we can't get a card yet....but if you are from CO, CA, WA AK, etc, etc, etc...then you should be able to go into a DC dispensary and purchase.

Cheers

Last edited:
Baron23,

Baron23

Pot laws under scrutiny in Maryland General Assembly

By Fenit Nirappil March 5 at 1:44 PM
Legalization of recreational marijuana is getting a full airing in the Maryland legislature this week, even as the main proponents of allowing adults to legally smoke pot acknowledge there’s little chance of passage this year.

Lawmakers and advocates pushing to authorize sales of the drug for general use believe that a robust debate this year will put them in a good position for next year’s legislative session, when they are planning an all-out effort to get the Democratic-majority General Assembly to either legalize the drug or approve putting the issue to voters as a ballot question.

The legislature is also wrestling with several bills relating to Maryland’s sputtering medical marijuana program, which has become embroiled in controversies over whom state regulators chose and rejected to grow and sell the drug.

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission last year awarded 15 preliminary licenses to grow, and 15 to process, medical marijuana, as well as 102 approvals to companies vying to sell the product. Businesses are on track to start selling medical cannabis by late summer, pending final inspections.

But the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, angered that no preapproved marijuana growing company is led by African Americans, is leading a charge to dissolve the cannabis commission and restart the process to add more minority-owned companies.

“On a nation that was built on the backs of black folks, I just don’t see how we can, as a progressive state, stand here and tolerate the current conditions,” state Sen. Joan Carter Conway (D-Baltimore), one of the sponsors of the Black Caucus legislation, said Thursday at a Senate hearing.

Cannabis regulators said that when they awarded the licenses, they wanted to follow a provision in the 2014 medical marijuana legalization law calling for racially and ethnically diverse pot growers. But, they said, they were hamstrung by a letter from the attorney general’s office suggesting that racial preferences would be unconstitutional absent a study showing disparities in the industry to justify the move.

The regulators also cited the results of a survey of their preapproved marijuana companies showing there are minority investors and employees.

“Has the commission engaged in some nefarious racist misconduct in the outcome of the process? I don’t think we have,” said Commissioner Eric Sterling.

At hearings last week, lawmakers grilled members of the commission on why they did not try harder to find alternative ways to take racial diversity into account.

“We are in this awful dilemma where you didn’t follow the law, and we have people who need relief,” state Sen. James Brochin (D-Baltimore County) told Sterling.

Even the lawmaker who requested the legal opinion on racial preferences in medical marijuana from the attorney general’s office — Del. Christopher R. West (R-Baltimore County) — demanded to know why regulators had not returned to lawmakers earlier to sort out the confusion.

[A light at the end of the tunnel for Maryland medical marijuana program]

“The fact is we didn’t, so what’s the next question?” snapped Commissioner Dario J. Broccolino, the state’s attorney for Howard County, prompting gasps from the audience.

Black Caucus leaders say they are negotiating changes to their diversity bills after the hearings. The legislation is set to come up for a vote in the coming weeks.

Other proposed bills would expand the number of approved medical marijuana growers, while another would grant licenses to two prospective growers suing the cannabis commission because they were passed over in favor of lower-scoring applications in the name of geographic diversity.

The companies already slotted to grow and process medical marijuana in the state are fighting such efforts to expand the market. They formed a group called the Maryland Wholesale Medical Cannabis Trade Association, hired a lobbying firm and told lawmakers that they secured investments and drafted business plans based on the idea that they would have the early foothold in the industry.

“We as a group here all received A’s on the test,” said Jake Van Wingerden, president of Cecil County’s SunMed Growers and a member of the new trade group. “There are a lot of people who didn’t receive an A who are complaining about the administration of the test and maybe the administration that hired the professors.”

Sen. Robert A. Zirkin (D-Baltimore County), who chairs the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee that must approve the medical marijuana bills, expressed concern that authorizing additional marijuana businesses would prompt more lawsuits from companies that, as a result of the change, would face increased competition. He repeatedly said his top priority was patient access.

“I want to see patients have this medication yesterday, not in a year, not in three years,” Zirkin said. “They’ve waited long enough.”

Several parents of children with medical disorders and veterans with amputated limbs also pleaded with lawmakers to not further delay the program. They included Carey Tilghman of Boonsboro, whose 6-year-old daughter had a stroke and 1½-year-old has intractable epilepsy.

“I’m not trying to get my kid high as a kite. I’m trying to relieve her symptoms. Don’t delay. I can’t wait anymore,” Tilghman told lawmakers as she held her sleeping toddler.

“We are not going to do anything to delay any part of this program; that I can assure you,” Zirkin told her.

While cannabis commissioners have not objected to lawmakers expanding the number of licenses, they are fighting bills that would restart the licensing process or dissolve and revise their agency.

“We’re on the 10-yard line, first and goal, and the sideline is telling us to punt the ball and start all over. That’s crazy,” Broccolino said.

While the fights over the medical marijuana program continue, committees in the House will consider bills to legalize recreational marijuana, while a Senate panel is examining a proposal to tax it like alcohol.

Sen. Richard S. Madaleno Jr. (D-Montgomery), one of the sponsors of the legislation, says he does not expect his bills to pass this session because of uncertainty over how federal marijuana policy may change under President Trump (R).

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said last month that states should expect “greater enforcement” of marijuana laws. The Justice Department has so far not interfered with legal recreational sales permitted in several states, but that may change under Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Madaleno and other lawmakers behind the legalization push say they want to continue debating how marijuana sales would work in Maryland in preparation for future legislative sessions.

Sen. Brian J. Feldman (D-Montgomery) is offering an alternative measure to refer the matter to voters, as lawmakers did with same-sex marriage and casinos.

Some have speculated that adding marijuana legalization to the 2018 ballot could help turn out young and other Democratic-leaning voters when popular Republican Gov. Larry Hogan is up for reelection.

"On a nation that was built on the backs of black folks" Wow, what a stunning lack of historical perspective. Yes, this nation was built on the backs of black folks, Irish, German, Scandinavian, Latin and South Americans, Jews, Asians and every-fucking-body else on this planet. This is just an excuse to demand a race based set aside, nothing more. I really don't care...if that will make the MBLC go away and eliminate at least this risk to the program, just do it. The key is that its almost four yeas (I believe it will be four in May) and they STILL don't have a patient registry opened.

Baron23,

Baron23

Is there anybody on this board from Maryland at all? I can't even get one like on this stuff. LOL

Seriously, anybody besides me waiting on Maryland?

Baron23,

TeeJay1952

@Baron23 I watch and am reminded of how idiotic we are as people. So much verbiage over control of something that isn't controllable. It has survived decades of global interdiction and permeates mainstream culture. The quest for cash by politicians (and others) is laughable. (IMHO) All we have done is create the Cartels and now the Cabals.

TeeJay1952,
Reactions: Baron23

MyCollie

I'm not sure what happened to the DC bill providing reciprocity to other states if you have a valid MMJ card. It passed the city council and went to the Mayor who I believe signed it....but then it goes for 30 days for Congressional review and is in effect by default if not objected to by the end of that period...I think.

In any case, with Maryland still not having a patient registry open (and may I live long enough to see it), even if passed I couldn't go to DC and purchase as I can't get a card cause.....THERE AIN'T NO FUCKING CARDS BEING ISSUE YET AFTER ALMOST FOUR FUCKING YEARS! :bang::rant::goon::rant::bang:

Gosh, I feel much better now. LOL

Still no help for neighbors in MD cause we can't get a card yet....but if you are from CO, CA, WA AK, etc, etc, etc...then you should be able to go into a DC dispensary and purchase.

Cheers

My apoogies, I keep forgetting they don't have even the registry aspect set up. Anyway, I'll hope they do at least that soon. I've read about your back issues and understand those completely. My issues are different (cancer related) but cause some pain still. You deserve to have access to this.... shouldn't be an issue and all of the meddling by those politicians is atrocious.

MyCollie,

Baron23

Bills would increase diversity in medical marijuana business

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — After Carey Tilghman’s 6-year-old daughter, Paisley, suffered from a stroke, doctors drafted a plan to use a round of Botox injections and muscle relaxers to treat her condition.

Searching for an alternative for her daughter, Tilghman found that a transdermal patch filled with cannabis, which has been linked to shielding the brain from stroke damage, could possibly be helpful to her daughter, but she hasn’t been able access the drug in Maryland’s stalled medical cannabis industry.

Maryland has had one of the slowest rollouts of medical marijuana in the country.

The Natalie M. LaPrade Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission, which grants the licenses to growers, processors and dispensers, has been hampered by legal battles and pending legislation in the Maryland General Assembly since the state legalized medical cannabis in 2014.

This legislative session, state lawmakers are considering a spate of bills outlining different solutions intended to address a lack of diversity in licenses, and two lawsuits that have delayed the rollout of Maryland’s nascent medical cannabis industry.

The commission expects medical cannabis to be available to patients this summer, according to Vanessa Lyon, a spokeswoman for the group. Patient registry for the drug begins this month, but concerned residents are worried that bills may push back the rollout date even further.

“We can’t delay access,” Tilghman said. “(Paisley) deserves to have a transdermal patch and play like a kindergartener can play. They want her on muscle relaxers; they want her to have surgery. How do you be a kindergartner on muscle relaxers?”

“You can’t,” she added, choking up.

The commission was tasked with ensuring racial and geographical diversity in their selection process, and on Dec. 9 it announced pre-approvals for 102 businesses to sell medical cannabis, which broke down into 15 growers, 15 processors, and 72 dispensaries.

However, preference for minority business owners may violate the Constitution, said Cheryl A. Brown Whitfield, principal counsel of the Maryland Department of Transportation.

The state would need to conduct a study to evaluate whether discrimination does exist in the medical cannabis industry before it could take race-conscious measures in awarding licenses, said Zenita Hurley, the attorney general’s director of legislative affairs and civil rights. This study could take up to two years.

The commission used Towson University’s Regional Economic Studies Institute to rank the company applicants. RESI used a double-blind system that did not take into account the race of owners, which resulted in the commission failing to award licenses that ensure adequate minority representation, said Delegate Cheryl Glenn, D-Baltimore.

While the commission has listed the rankings of each company, it has not released the scores and the criteria for which they were ranked, said Darrell Carrington, policy director for the medical cannabis division of Greenwill Consulting, a government relations firm.

“We’re all flying blind right now because the commission refuses to release the scores,” Carrington said. “The rankings are meaningless if we don’t have the scores. How do we know how to move forward properly and know if we’re really making corrections to increase diversity and the like, if we don’t know the difference between (the companies) was 5, 10, or 30 (points).”

Maryland includes a black or African-American population of 30.5 percent, a white population of 59.6 percent, and 9.9 percent who identify as another minority, according to data collected by the U.S. Census as of 2015.

The majority of the companies selected for pre-approvals for growing and processing are led by white owners.

Of the 11 companies with pre-approved growing licenses that reported demographic data to the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission, about 85 percent of the owners are white, about 8 percent are black, and about 7 percent identify as another racial minority. The nine pre-approved processing companies that reported data showed similar numbers, with 73 percent white ownership, about 15 percent black ownership, and about 12 percent other minority ownership.

The companies selected have about 76 percent male ownership and 24 percent female ownership.

Moreover, after complaints surfaced that the commission didn’t fairly include representation in areas of southeastern Maryland, the commission revised their original unanimous decision on the 15 companies slated to receive growing licenses by bumping two higher-scoring applicants and replacing them with two lower-scoring applicants in the underrepresented areas.

GTI, one of the companies originally awarded a coveted pre-approval license, had already picked out a site in Washington County and began developing a plan to produce medical cannabis when they were replaced, said Delegate Brett Wilson, R-Washington. The company has since joined the other business bumped from the list, Maryland Cultivation and Processing LLC, in suing the commission.

The commission has been operating without oversight or transparency, Glenn said. “They can’t answer why they made the decisions they made.”

To address the lack of ownership diversity, the Legislative Black Caucus, which Glenn heads, has proposed two emergency bills that would overhaul the 15-member commission and reinstate it with members who reflect the racial and geographical diversity of the state.

Sarah Hoyt, director of government affairs for the commission, wrote in testimony that this emergency legislation would “substantially delay the availability of medical cannabis to qualifying patients” by as much as two years.

But Glenn said her legislation would not slow the arrival of the medical cannabis industry.

“The commission operated in an arbitrary, opaque and misleading fashion,” said Pete Kadens, CEO and director of GTI, adding that overhauling the “inefficient” commission would actually speed the rollout of the long-awaited industry.

Kadens said he supported the 15 companies who have been pre-approved to start operating immediately.

“Even though we were displaced for the purpose of geographic diversity, even though we scored higher on merit than five of the companies that now have pre-approvals for the state, even though we feel we were wronged, we do not want the patients of the state to be further distressed,” Kadens said.

One of Glenn’s bills would issue five to seven more licenses for both growers and processors. The bill would also give heavier consideration to businesses with majority black ownership.

The second bill would disband the current commission to create a nine-member Natalie M. LaPrade Medical Cannabis Licensing Unit. This new group would award new grower licenses in future years and would have a fund to provide minority- and women-owned medical cannabis businesses with loans.

Wilson has proposed a separate bill that would increase the number of growers from 15 to 17 to reinstate the two geographically bumped companies’ on the list. This could fix what he called a “fairness issue,” adding that it will likely immediately stop any pending litigation, he said.

Wilson said he doesn’t oppose the other bills and that it’s possible a number of the five bills may merge into “one bill that accomplishes everything.”

“We’re not in conflict with other bills,” Wilson said. “We don’t stand against the other proposals in any way.”

Delegate David Vogt, R-Carroll and Frederick, has also proposed a bill that attempts to squash the pending lawsuits, while also increasing minority and women ownership. His solution would accept the commission’s next 10 ranked applicants, which have been selected as alternates should any of the 15 growing businesses that have been pre-approved fall through.

This bill wouldn’t impact how the commission measures any of the businesses that have been tentatively approved, but it would impact any new ones that haven’t been measured by requiring the commission to give extra weight to minority- and women-owned businesses.

Vogt’s bill also proposes to distribute grant money to the businesses’ local communities. The money would be used for infrastructure improvements, increased security and community development. He added that the amount, $250,000 for each area, is a “nominal amount” and that “ultimately, (the state is) going to get that impact money back — 10, 20 times over — with the tax revenue.”

Vogt, like Wilson, noted that he thinks it’s likely to create one bill that combined components from each to address the problems in the long-awaited industry.

However, Glenn said she only supports the bills she is sponsoring. (cont)

I generally object to any sort of set aside and preferential treatment based on what demographic or special interest group you belong to. My general feeling about Del Cheryl Glenn and her attempts to extort licenses for her political supporters is a giant "Fuck YOU, Glenn".

With that said, I don't give a flying fuck what they do as long as they do not delay the process that is currently in place.

Baron23,

Baron23

Hi guys - been a while since I posted here. So, on 10 Apr, Maryland opened its patient registry for people with last name, first initial, of A-K. With a last name beginning with a letter M, I was able to register as a patient starting the following Monday, 17 Apr.

I did so, contacted my Dr after getting my patient number, and I AM NOW A LEGAL MMJ PATIENT IN MARYLAND!! :rockon::D:tup::rockon::spliff::cheers: Now they just need to get dispensaries open with stock. I'm guessing by Aug/Sep.

Edited: I guess I just wanted to say that I really didn't think I would live long enough to see legal. My cert date is 4/20 (whoot, whoot) and I just think this is the best 420 gift a fella could get.

upload_2017-4-21_12-16-2-png.220

Last edited:

C No Ego

Hi guys - been a while since I posted here. So, on 10 Apr, Maryland opened its patient registry for people with last name, first initial, of A-K. With a last name beginning with a letter M, I was able to register as a patient starting the following Monday, 17 Apr.

I did so, contacted my Dr after getting my patient number, and I AM NOW A LEGAL MMJ PATIENT IN MARYLAND!! :rockon::D:tup::rockon::spliff::cheers: Now they just need to get dispensaries open with stock. I'm guessing by Aug/Sep.

Edited: I guess I just wanted to say that I really didn't think I would live long enough to see legal. My cert date is 4/20 (whoot, whoot) and I just think this is the best 420 gift a fella could get.

upload_2017-4-21_12-16-2-png.220
WoW! no shit! great for you and you have much bigger balls than myself... I'd be sceeeered shitless to put my name on some marywanee list... please be careful

C No Ego,

Baron23

WoW! no shit! great for you and you have much bigger balls than myself... I'd be sceeeered shitless to put my name on some marywanee list... please be careful
Really...with something like 1.9 M medical MJ patients in the country? I dunno...I'm 64 and tired of pretending. I have been activated on this subject. The laws need to change.

C No Ego

Really...with something like 1.9 M medical MJ patients in the country? I dunno...I'm 64 and tired of pretending. I have been activated on this subject. The laws need to change.
I am pulling for you and everyone who has yet to find their own personal cannabis relief before being arrested for it... what a crazy world, yet without obstacles complacency resides... Good Luck :tup:

C No Ego,
Top Bottom