Lower temperatures for THC extraction

PutOneInTheAir

E-nano, DynaVaps, v3pro, ROFFU
I don't know if anybody's ever looked at their AVB under a microscope? I've been messing around with it and I noticed if I'm running lower temperatures It seems like more trichomes are gone then if I use the same vaporizer and strain at higher temperatures. I still see the hairs and everything no matter what temperature but the trichomes ball tops seem to be more destroyed on the lower temperatures where they're still more remaining when going for a darker AVB faster extraction.

Anybody have any opinions or thoughts?

ElMetrico

Very interesting observation, I wanted to buy a microscope to do the same thing ;). As to why the trichomes are affected more at low temperatures is a mystery to me, one explanation could be residence time. Are your sessions longer @ lower temps, because when I vape @ lower temps this is mostly the case. Do you have any pictures through the microscope? I would be delighted to see the differences myself.

GoldenBud

lower temperatures where they're still more remaining when going for a darker AVB faster extraction.
because the difference in color exist in higher contrast with high temp ABV? like, the trichome shines.. so it harder to see it with yellow-brown ABV but easier to catch with brown-almost-black ABV?

it sounds weird to me, because with higher temp you get much more vapor. and vapor means trichomes are gone from the herb...

GoldenBud,

PutOneInTheAir

E-nano, DynaVaps, v3pro, ROFFU
I'm hoping Santa brings me my microfine glass that hooks up to my phone so I can snap pictures 🤞

The only thing I could think of is on the lower temperatures this session lasts longer so it's more thoroughly stripping the buds basically? I've checked today handful of times and I've noticed the same results with lower temperature

PutOneInTheAir,
Reactions: Spin0620

Spin0620

I'm hoping Santa brings me my microfine glass that hooks up to my phone so I can snap pictures 🤞

The only thing I could think of is on the lower temperatures this session lasts longer so it's more thoroughly stripping the buds basically? I've checked today handful of times and I've noticed the same results with lower temperature
Hopefully you can get some pics. This is very interesting 🤔

Spin0620,

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector

It is interesting isn't it. Have you noticed if it's the same with different style vapes, as in convection Vs conduction heaters?

chlorophyll_man,

GoldenBud

maybe with lower temp you take a longer hit... but if it's the same draw speed/time with the same vape, same nugs, higher temp will vaporize more trichomes and the vapor will take more volume.. less trichomes are left within the herb in the bowl..

GoldenBud,

ScyOne

Yea, pics would be interesting. Very interesting observation.

Different temps will have different effects on cell structure, so that doesn't necessarily mean you are extracting more or less.

For example freeze drying is popular cause the cell structure remains more in tack and you can rehydrate it way better than normal drying methods. Rehydrate beef jerky? not happening! rehydrate some freeze dry beef? happens in a couple minutes.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

LeftBased

THCa flashes and boils low temps the heating process causes some of this to change into d9 adjusting the boil temps, also terps are heat sensitive so most terps will evaporate over time. Cannabinoids mass is bigger then most terps but I am not a scientist. Cannabinoids are heavier than monoterps? I do get flavor at 325f from vaping however I have to turn temps up for the extra goodies in cannabinoid content.

Usually got indicas so they have other cannabinoids other than thc, some small amounts of CBD. Could be cbc or cbe who knows maybe even cbn? Dunno it's tested but there is no online coas. However I still can get a chill meditative effect between 325 ~ 350f. I still experiment at temps depends on the herb (cultivar aka strain) some strains just bake faster than others and others are more sticky n dense like hashish resin that requires higher temps. Indicas are the sticky icky need that higher temp to get most efficient session while my sativa's can tolerate mid to low temps. Indicas are easy going for high temps to mid temps.

Sorry if I sound confusing my English is jacked up because I am blasted from taking a dab and now stuck in a loop thinking I am saying sentences wrong. But yeah uhh mixed some d8 disty with d9 cured resin wax and I am blasted man.

Last edited:
LeftBased,

badbee

I would guess that a difference in the trichomes would be more due to time rather than temp. Low temp takes a longer time maybe leaving the cell walls in contact with hot liquid longer and time to deform and collapse. Higher temps may blast the volatiles quickly into vapor and away leaving the cellulose structure more intact. Just a thought.

LeftBased

I would guess that a difference in the trichomes would be more due to time rather than temp. Low temp takes a longer time maybe leaving the cell walls in contact with hot liquid longer and time to deform and collapse. Higher temps may blast the volatiles quickly into vapor and away leaving the cellulose structure more intact. Just a thought.
Yeah I noticed low temps allow me to taste what terps the herb has while still getting THC over time..thanks to some minor conductivity in the chamber and inhalation techniques I can get a fuller extract or close (caramel brown abv) on the on demand mode in my roffu.

LeftBased,
Top Bottom