Looking for advice deciding on portable vape: DV, wispr, solo, plenty, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey FC, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've owned a few vapes in my day, and currently have been using my classic non-digital volcano for about 7 years. Until recently I always used small glass when out and about, but I have decided to go completely flame free from this point forward. Which brings me to my question: what portable vaporizer does FC recommend?

I've been doing some research and talking to a lot of people, and am pretty overwhelmed with the number of options and information. I'm looking for something that is stealthy, highly portable, that produces nice vapor and taste, and that is efficient. I will continue to use my Volcano (or a similar upgraded unit in the near future) for all of my home vaporization, so I am looking for a vape that will solely be used out and about. As I said vape quality/taste, efficiency, and stealth are my top priorities in a portable vape. I'm not really interested in the launch box, as I have used one before and while it is fine, I have determined it is not the portable vape for me. I will primarily use the vape to medicate in my car, at music shows, movie theaters, tailgates, while hiking, golfing etc. Price of the unit is not a consideration and is irrelevant to my final decision.

Right now I am leaning towards the PAX due to size and stealth, but I'm hesitant since there is very little feedback, particularly long term. I am also considering the wispr, solo, davinci, and plenty. As much as I like S&B, I don't think the Plenty is stealth enough for outdoor/public use. I've read a lot of great things about the solo, but I don't think it is portable and stealth enough for my uses either. Really I have narrowed it down to the PAX, davinci, and wispr (as a distant 3rd). But with everything I've read this is a fairly fluid situation. I'm looking for any advice that someone with similar uses/requirements can give. Thanks in advance.

Edit: FWIW Butane is not a deal breaker for me, but it's also not ideal. I really like the idea of a digital temperature gauge, but from my classic volcano usage I have a feeling the 3 temp settings on the PAX might be enough variation for me to tinker with. Typically I vape with about .15-.2.

And as a side note, how does FC feel about purchasing via amazon vs a well known site with a reputation?

nomorefire,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
It seems you're after a very stealthy portable that still delivers satisfying hits... I know it's not on your list, but may I suggest the ThermoVape line of products? I really like my T1 in particular, which replaced my MFLB as my portable.

Very much more stealthy than the others you listed, and can produce monstrous hits once you get a technique down. Everything is made of medical quality materials, and the T1 is waterproof, fireproof, hell it's even BMW-proof if that matters to you (check their Youtube channel :)).

Be warned, though, a set of the rechargeable batteries lasts for a bowl (8-10 satisfying hits, IMO), so you might need to carry some extras. Not really a big deal in my book, my whole "out and about kit" fits into a front pants pocket. You have to be willing to sacrifice a little on the battery longevity side of the equation to get a high level of stealth, pure unaltered taste of your herbs, ~10 second heat up time, and pocketability. Well worth it in my book.

BTW, I see you mention you medicate in your car, I do that a lot also. ThermoVape just came out with a battery passthrough wall adapter that will also work with a soon to be released 12v car adapter.

Hope this helped you a little, and welcome to FC :)

Peloton,
Thanks for the great help and information. I completely forgot the T1..I knew I left one off the list. From what I have read I would probably put that a close second behind the PAX and ahead of the Davinci..but the car adapter option is VERY appealing. Don't know how I missed that.

nomorefire,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
And as a side note, how does FC feel about purchasing via amazon vs a well known site with a reputation?

Just saw this... I LOVE shopping on Amazon for almost everything. But when it comes to vaporizers and vaporizer accessories (I'm watching King of the Hill, sorry ;)), I've always stuck to purchasing directly from the manufacturer or a FC Supporting Retailer.

All our supporting online shops have kickass discount codes for us FC'ers that often get the prices down close to Amazon's. Not always, but often. And like I said, I do love Amazon :) But for me, it's sometimes worth paying a bit more to get great customer service, and the latest version of the product. PuffItUp has always treated me well, they sent Fuck Combustion lanyards out to members a while back too which I thought was really cool.

Peloton,
I've always stuck to purchasing directly from the manufacturer or a FC Supporting Retailer.

All our supporting online shops have kickass discount codes for us FC'ers that often get the prices down close to Amazon's.

I was leaning towards a big site with a solid reputation to begin with, knowing that they support this site makes it an easy choice.

nomorefire,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hey FC, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've owned a few vapes in my day, and currently have been using my classic non-digital volcano for about 7 years. Until recently I always used small glass when out and about, but I have decided to go completely flame free from this point forward. Which brings me to my question: what portable vaporizer does FC recommend?

I've been doing some research and talking to a lot of people, and am pretty overwhelmed with the number of options and information. I'm looking for something that is stealthy, highly portable, that produces nice vapor and taste, and that is efficient. I will continue to use my Volcano (or a similar upgraded unit in the near future) for all of my home vaporization, so I am looking for a vape that will solely be used out and about. As I said vape quality/taste, efficiency, and stealth are my top priorities in a portable vape. I'm not really interested in the launch box, as I have used one before and while it is fine, I have determined it is not the portable vape for me. I will primarily use the vape to medicate in my car, at music shows, movie theaters, tailgates, while hiking, golfing etc. Price of the unit is not a consideration and is irrelevant to my final decision.

Right now I am leaning towards the PAX due to size and stealth, but I'm hesitant since there is very little feedback, particularly long term. I am also considering the wispr, solo, davinci, and plenty. As much as I like S&B, I don't think the Plenty is stealth enough for outdoor/public use. I've read a lot of great things about the solo, but I don't think it is portable and stealth enough for my uses either. Really I have narrowed it down to the PAX, davinci, and wispr (as a distant 3rd). But with everything I've read this is a fairly fluid situation. I'm looking for any advice that someone with similar uses/requirements can give. Thanks in advance.

Edit: FWIW Butane is not a deal breaker for me, but it's also not ideal. I really like the idea of a digital temperature gauge, but from my classic volcano usage I have a feeling the 3 temp settings on the PAX might be enough variation for me to tinker with. Typically I vape with about .15-.2.

Aside from movie theaters and some music shows, i think you can use about any portable, including the solo.

The WISPR has been having some problems i believe (check the thread for more accurate info) and it was being discontinued or changed somehow. It also makes an hissing sound when it is heating which is not so good when you want to be discreet, but like i said, i don't own one and my knowledge is rather limited towards this model.

The Plenty is a home vaporizer, it needs a wall plug, so it is out of the question. And for the price, there are much more appealing options if it was the case.

Between the PAX and the DaVinci, i am guessing the DaVinci has a more easily even extraction because it uses convection instead of the PAX that uses conduction. And it has a better temp control, being digital and incremented every 2 degrees.

The PAX is smaller, conduction based, 3 set temps, and it is stealthier.

The T1 is great in about all aspects expect having to carry so many batteries. My DV last 5 sessions. If i want 5 sessions in a T1 i have to carry 4 sets of 2 batteries, plus the ones on the T1.
The PAX has a better battery than the DV, so you would need even more batteries to match it. That and the fact that if i want a T1+pass through+8 batteries more, i will spend like 350$. It is a lot if you think about it..

So bottom line, if you want super stealth, you can't have super battery life. Figure out, which side of the balance you are on.
After that, you still have a lot to choose. The Solo looks promising too, with the new stems from EdTNT and PlanetVape.

I have 4 portables and i could find a place for a few more. There is still to come the portable that has a pure flavour, easily consealable, durable, small, versatile, and with a battery life that makes you forget to charge it. For me, the one who cuts it the closest in most areas of value is the T1. But for that battery life, i prefer to make other compromises. Peloton prefered to compromise on battery life.
IMO, we are both right since we both chose what we valued the most.

Choose what you value the most. If you can't, choose the 2-3 portables that have what you value the most. I must say, people at FC, usually go for the second option. Yes, it is that difficult.

vorrange,
Reactions: Peloton

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Aside from movie theaters and some music shows, i think you can use about any portable, including the solo.

The WISPR has been having some problems i believe (check the thread for more accurate info) and it was being discontinued or changed somehow. It also makes an hissing sound when it is heating which is not so good when you want to be discreet, but like i said, i don't own one and my knowledge is rather limited towards this model.

The Plenty is a home vaporizer, it needs a wall plug, so it is out of the question. And for the price, there are much more appealing options if it was the case.

Between the PAX and the DaVinci, i am guessing the DaVinci has a more easily even extraction because it uses convection instead of the PAX that uses conduction. And it has a better temp control, being digital and incremented every 2 degrees.

The PAX is smaller, conduction based, 3 set temps, and it is stealthier.

The T1 is great in about all aspects expect having to carry so many batteries. My DV last 5 sessions. If i want 5 sessions in a T1 i have to carry 4 sets of 2 batteries, plus the ones on the T1.
The PAX has a better battery than the DV, so you would need even more batteries to match it. That and the fact that if i want a T1+pass through+8 batteries more, i will spend like 350$. It is a lot if you think about it..

So bottom line, if you want super stealth, you can't have super battery life. Figure out, which side of the balance you are on.
After that, you still have a lot to choose. The Solo looks promising too, with the new stems from EdTNT and PlanetVape.

I have 4 portables and i could find a place for a few more. There is still to come the portable that has a pure flavour, easily consealable, durable, small, versatile, and with a battery life that makes you forget to charge it. For me, the one who cuts it the closest in most areas of value is the T1. But for that battery life, i prefer to make other compromises. Peloton prefered to compromise on battery life.
IMO, we are both right since we both chose what we valued the most.

Choose what you value the most. If you can't, choose the 2-3 portables that have what you value the most. I must say, people at FC, usually go for the second option. Yes, it is that difficult.

Is there any way I can "Love" a post? :cheers:

Yes, it is that difficult.

More great info here. Thanks. I lean towards stealth as a priority over battery life, which is why the PAX seems like such an attractive option. The T1 is right up there, but I definitely don't want to be carrying around batteries all the time. I am pretty good about remembering to charge things, so I think that I have narrowed it down to the PAX and DaVinci and I think I would rather sacrifice the more precise temperature control for a bit of extra battery life. Unfortunately I think the solo is just a bit bigger and slightly more conspicuous than I am looking for in a portable vape, although I know they work extremely well. Ultimately, as you noted, it seems like I am going to need to pick up at least 2 portable vapes to cover all my needs.

Thanks for the input.

nomorefire,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
More great info here. Thanks. I lean towards stealth as a priority over battery life, which is why the PAX seems like such an attractive option. The T1 is right up there, but I definitely don't want to be carrying around batteries all the time. I am pretty good about remembering to charge things, so I think that I have narrowed it down to the PAX and DaVinci and I think I would rather sacrifice the more precise temperature control for a bit of extra battery life. Unfortunately I think the solo is just a bit bigger and slightly more conspicuous than I am looking for in a portable vape, although I know they work extremely well. Ultimately, as you noted, it seems like I am going to need to pick up at least 2 portable vapes to cover all my needs.

Thanks for the input.

When i say "remember to charge" i meant it figuratively, but i guess you got it right nonetheless. I suggest you read a bit of the PAX thread, at least the last 10-15 pages or so, it helps you get a feel of the overall impressions, good and bad, of the vaporizer in question.

Happy hunting! You may not realize it yet, but hunting for the next vaporizer to buy is the favorite past time here at FC. First stage, you hear one or two good things that spike your interest. Second, you start reading the thread. Third, you start comparing with the vaporizers you are already lurking in the threads. Fourth, you do it all again until you eventually pull the trigger. Fifth, you do it all over again. hehehe.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
While I have not yet tried the Pax, I do have a Solo, DaVinci, T1 and MFLB.

From reading your posts, I would recommend the DaVinci for your situation. The taste of the vapor is not as "pure" as the other portables, but it fits in your pocket (and won't break there), heats up quickly, and provides ample vapor on the go.

While the Pax may be fantastic, there is just not enough evidence yet to convince me. I also prefer convection over conduction; that's why I prefer my T1, Solo and Davinci over my LB 99% of the time.

:peace:

Stu,

Peloton

Vapes Hard

From reading your posts, I would recommend the DaVinci for your situation. The taste of the vapor is not as "pure" as the other portables, but it fits in your pocket (and won't break there), heats up quickly, and provides ample vapor on the go.

While the Pax may be fantastic, there is just not enough evidence yet to convince me. I also prefer convection over conduction; that's why I prefer my T1, Solo and Davinci over my LB 99% of the time.

You bring up some great points Stu. The portable vaporizer market is growing rapidly, and there's so many good (and not so good) choices out there. I agree with vorrange, the most obvious solution is to own many vapes. :lol:

After watching J.R.R.'s review videos he did on the DaVinci, I've been sold on it being a really solid unit with some unique features. I think it also has a lot of parallels to the Solo, but a portability concern for me is the glass stem situation. I really like the idea of the flex straw on the DV, but I have heard great things about what Ed's wood stems does for the Solo.

I think I will probably buy a DV v2 when it comes out. Although, I noticed the v1's are going for awful cheap on Amazon, directly from DaVinci themselves...

Peloton,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
You bring up some great points Stu. The portable vaporizer market is growing rapidly, and there's so many good (and not so good) choices out there. I agree with vorrange, the most obvious solution is to own many vapes. :lol:

After watching J.R.R.'s review videos he did on the DaVinci, I've been sold on it being a really solid unit with some unique features. I think it also has a lot of parallels to the Solo, but a portability concern for me is the glass stem situation. I really like the idea of the flex straw on the DV, but I have heard great things about what Ed's wood stems does for the Solo.

I think I will probably buy a DV v2 when it comes out. Although, I noticed the v1's are going for awful cheap on Amazon, directly from DaVinci themselves...
The only real problem I have with the DaVinci is the so-so taste. I guess it's a tradoff you make for the bendable/unbreakable stem.

I consider my Solo to be only "semi-portable". I need a case to carry it, and I have to use caution because of the glass. The DaVinci is much better for true portable use out and about.

I find that I use both fairly regularly as they each have their advantages depending on the situation.

Stu,

Is there a particular advantage to convection over conduction in the with regard to vaporizing (and vice versa)? Or is it more of a personal preference? What are the pro's and cons of using either method within a vaporizer?

nomorefire,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I am by no means an expert on conduction vs convection, but in my experiences it seems I prefer convection also. Convection vapes work by pulling hot air through your herb, vaporizing the load as you inhale. This gives the vapor a very clean and true taste, IMO. Do note though, that most convection vapes still do a little conducting, so care must be taken before we label vapes :)

Conduction vaporizers vaporize the material in direct contact with the screen, as the current runs through it. It conducts the heat from the screen straight to the herb it's touching. That's why a fine grind is essential for the MFLB, to get more surface area touching the screen. But a lot of other conduction vapes can have an unfortunate side effect of "cooking" your herb as the device is on and you are not hitting it, thus losing a little vapor and flavor. Not really a problem with the MFLB as it's not on when you're not hitting it, but more so for devices like the PAX I would imagine.

I think the gist of the whole conduction vs convection deal is that convection is arguably more "pure" tasting, but a little bit of conduction almost always goes on anyway in a convection device. Neither are bad, are both are a hell of a lot better than smoking :tup:

Is there a particular advantage to convection over conduction in the with regard to vaporizing (and vice versa)? Or is it more of a personal preference? What are the pro's and cons of using either method within a vaporizer?

Peloton,
Reactions: Stu
Thanks for the explanation..I definitely would prefer convection in an ideal world, but I think I have decided to go with the PAX. My buddy has made the same decision and I plan on pre-ordering them for us this weekend. I have accepted the fact that this will not be THE portable vaporizer for me, but rather will be merely ONE of them. I plan on getting another (less portable) portable like the solo at some point in the near future and also replacing my volcano with a newer, digital version shortly after that.

My main reasons for going with the PAX over the DV are these:
1) there is a new DV on the horizon-I hate buying stuff that is about to be replaced
2) DV's are really cheap on Amazon, and I really have been set on buying from a forum sponsor (hard to justify $50 price difference for same exact model, even with superior customer service from a sponsor)
3) to me, the PAX has a much more stealth and discreet look to it that I feel I could use anywhere, whereas the DV not so much.
4) The PAX also seems to be slightly more portable than DV (though not much so)
5) I've heard a lot about hot vapor coming from the DV and the unit being pretty warm to the touch. I am not a fan of overly hot vapor at all
6) PAX SHOULD have better battery life
7) The chamber on the DV seems a bit clumsy and difficult to clear/clean
8) PAX charges in half the time (although you can't use while charging as you can DV)

Really what it comes down to is: am I willing to sacrifice: 1) convection, 2) precise temperature control, and 3) the ability to use while charging for the above mentioned Pro's? I have decided it is. I know there is not a lot out there about the PAX, but almost everything I have read has been positive. I will be sure to post up my experiences when they arrive. If anyone thinks I am making a huge mistake making my decision on the aforementioned reasons please feel free to let me know (in a constructive manner). I haven't ordered yet so my mind can still be swayed, but I'm close to being locked in.

I like the T1 as well, but I don't care for the way it looks and I really don't want to be carrying batteries around all the time.

Thank you to all who have contributed any information or opinions. It is much appreciated. If the PAX turns out to live up to the hype, I know I will be very happy. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be looking to purchase a new portable vape. FC is a great place for those new to vapes, and clearly to veterans as well. I feel like I got a Masters in Vapeology just from lurking around here.

How much stock does FC put in vapecritic.com? Just wondering because I have really enjoyed his videos and opinions. He seems to be pretty fair in his assessments. If there is someone else out there doing review videos please point me in that direction as well.

I think the gist of the whole conduction vs convection deal is that convection is arguably more "pure" tasting, but a little bit of conduction almost always goes on anyway in a convection device. Neither are bad, are both are a hell of a lot better than smoking :tup:

nomorefire,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Kudos to you, nomorefire, for making an extremely informed decision, and realizing that one device may or may not meet your needs. I do hope you and your friend like the PAXs when they come :) Then it will be your turn to educate us on a vape!

How much stock does FC put in vapecritic.com? ....

If there is someone else out there doing review videos please point me in that direction as well.

I have personally never heard of vapecritic, but I'm checking them out now and it looks to be a pretty cool site. Now if you're looking for more reviews, one of our own, Slightly Medicated, has The Vaporizer Blog he started with written/video reviews. SliMs doing a really great job so far getting it going :) Nice find on the vapecritic site, though. I'll read more into his reviews later on today.

Peloton,
I've been looking for where Slightly Medicated had his reviews. Thanks!!

Kudos to you, nomorefire, for making an extremely informed decision, and realizing that one device may or may not meet your needs. I do hope you and your friend like the PAXs when they come :) Then it will be your turn to educate us on a vape!

I have personally never heard of vapecritic, but I'm checking them out now and it looks to be a pretty cool site. Now if you're looking for more reviews, one of our own, Slightly Medicated, has The Vaporizer Blog he started with written/video reviews. SliMs doing a really great job so far getting it going :) Nice find on the vapecritic site, though. I'll read more into his reviews later on today.

nomorefire,

max

Out to lunch
The differences/decisions between good 'name brand' models IMO shouldn't be driven by conduction vs. convection, since any current, popular model is going to be pretty efficient. The Magic Flight, IMO, has been largely responsible for resurrecting the conduction label. Previous to that, you only heard 'conduction' used in reference to the old vape design (often referred to as 1st generation) of dome vapes. Picture a frying pan with your bud sprinkled on it, and a lid. Put a hole through the lid big enough for a straw. Heat the bud up until it vaporizes, and then try and suck up the resulting vapor with the straw. You'll get a lot of air and a little vapor, and probably a headache as well. I speak from experience. It's a poor design. If you're gonna build a vape with this design, the dome should be small, to improve the vapor/air ratio. The dome vapes are still around, but a little research will cross them off the list for the vast majority of buyers.

The Magic Flight, even though it's mostly conduction, is much more efficient, as are other current designs that may carry the conduction label. For me ease of use and stealth are the primary factors, and the DaVinci suits me to the point where it's all I use now for a portable, other than the occasional mini or micro hit from my MF, which is hard to beat for a quick, small hit. I can do it with the DV, but heat time is longer and it doesn't cool down as fast as the MF. And of course the MF has those easily replaceable batteries that can also be used in all kinds of other devices (until you strip off the label of course).

I'd disagree that version 2 of the DV is a big deal. You're more of a guinea pig with the Pax. Ploom has not impressed much in the e-cig world so far. The DV is also very stealthy in my experience. Nobody gives me a 2nd look and with a stem extension or the longer stem, you can hit it from your shirt pocket. But get what suits you. You're the one who has to use it.

max,
It seems that your response was based on one post asking to clarify the difference between these vape methods. Conduction vs. convection was not the driving factor in my decision making process-in fact, I would prefer convection, but went with conduction due a myriad of other factors. Also, the DV 2 on the horizon was never insinuated to be a big deal, but merely one of 8+ reasons why I chose not to go with the Davinci. The list was not ordered by importance, but was simply a stream of consciousness. Thank you for your input and information, but the Magic Flight is just not something I am looking for. I have owned one in the past and it is not the portable vape for me.

As far as being a guinea pig for PAX, I'm fine with that. If it lives up to the hype then I will be happy. If not I'll chuck it in the closet and buy something else. I have read nothing but positives about the PAX. I'm sure many of these people likely got their unit for free, so I would appreciate some unbiased real world member feedback from the forum. However, I don't want to wait on those reviews. Although it certainly is not conspicuous by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think one could really argue that the DV is stealthier than the PAX. Thanks again for your input. I've read about the drawbacks/limitations of the DV, and they are all issues that would ultimately bother me somewhat. That's certainly not to say it isn't a great unit-I'm sure it is or it wouldn't be so popular.

The differences/decisions between good 'name brand' models IMO shouldn't be driven by conduction vs. convection, since any current, popular model is going to be pretty efficient. The Magic Flight, IMO, has been largely responsible for resurrecting the conduction label. Previous to that, you only heard 'conduction' used in reference to the old vape design (often referred to as 1st generation) of dome vapes. Picture a frying pan with your bud sprinkled on it, and a lid. Put a hole through the lid big enough for a straw. Heat the bud up until it vaporizes, and then try and suck up the resulting vapor with the straw. You'll get a lot of air and a little vapor, and probably a headache as well. I speak from experience. It's a poor design. If you're gonna build a vape with this design, the dome should be small, to improve the vapor/air ratio. The dome vapes are still around, but a little research will cross them off the list for the vast majority of buyers.

The Magic Flight, even though it's mostly conduction, is much more efficient, as are other current designs that may carry the conduction label. For me ease of use and stealth are the primary factors, and the DaVinci suits me to the point where it's all I use now for a portable, other than the occasional mini or micro hit from my MF, which is hard to beat for a quick, small hit. I can do it with the DV, but heat time is longer and it doesn't cool down as fast as the MF. And of course the MF has those easily replaceable batteries that can also be used in all kinds of other devices (until you strip off the label of course).

I'd disagree that version 2 of the DV is a big deal. You're more of a guinea pig with the Pax. Ploom has not impressed much in the e-cig world so far. The DV is also very stealthy in my experience. Nobody gives me a 2nd look and with a stem extension or the longer stem, you can hit it from your shirt pocket. But get what suits you. You're the one who has to use it.

nomorefire,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom