Live Resin?

darbarikanada

I'm curious if people that have used live resin and wax can share their experiences. budtenders say live resin's generally lower in THC but higher in terpenes (some brands include terps % on the packaging), but say those added terpenes somehow make live resin more potent (relative to wax) than one would expect from the THC %, and that the high's better and lasts longer. I get that live resin will probably have more flavor, but - in your experience - is the high noticeably better than wax? it tends to be pricier than wax here, so I'm wondering if that's hype or for good reasons. thanks!

darbarikanada,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Ive been using LR pretty much exclusively for almost 2 years now and while I can't say it gets me higher, its definitely a "better" high IMO. I find the experience itself to feel purer and cleaner, and the very very few times Ive dabbed anything that wasn't LR, aside from diamonds, and no matter how top shelf or whatever, the dab has always tasted old and dirty, much like comparing fresh vs shelf stable versions of fruit or something, it really was a huge difference and it was the same across a few different brands/strains/dab types. Ive also gotten a headache every time I went non LR and I never get headaches otherwise except when I'm messing with flower, which is extremely rare anymore. Ive also noticed a very significant improvement in my lung function, it was getting to the point where I was thinking Id need to start cutting back due to breathing problems but a few months after being 100% LR everything cleared right up, and Id mention the material i was dabbing before going LR was pretty high end and would be considered very clean as far as waxes and batters go.

And all of this is saying nothing of the huge flavor advantage LR has.

For my money if Im going to dab, and boy will i, it'll always be live resins from this point on.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Im also a Live snob...

I agree with Ensabbahnur on many points. Getting higher is subjective. You will find some waxes that hit you harder than Live, and you will find some Live hit you harder than waxes. All has to do with how good the material is and how your body process it.

I do agree though that it really is incomparably tastier. Like on a different level. Also find it cleaner and leaves absolutely no residue in your nail compared to wax or rosin.

darbarikanada

so how do you choose LRs? one local brand here lists terpene % on the package; some are 10%+, others near-zero. are low-terp LRs better than wax, or should I choose high-terp ones if I want to experience how LRs differ from wax? (and most brands don't list terp % - should I just assume they'll be better than waxes because of how they're made?)

darbarikanada,

CANtalk

I read this thread earlier and it spurred me to enjoy some Super Lemon Haze Live Resin :love:. I don't have tons of experience but I do find live resin much more terpy than harder concentrates like wax, shatter, hash, kief, etc. In my experience it also really depends on how good a batch you get of any concentrates, so (as always) I recommend looking for recent batches with good feedback.

@darbarikanada, I choose my live resins to get some that have recent feedback of being a quality batch, plus then by selecting the strain preference (sativa/indica/hybrid) to get the experience I'm looking for. I find a strong sativa experience is definitely different from a strong indica (or hybrid) experience. These two are my main drivers in live resin selection, as well basically all other types of cannabis :myday:. Both those things matter a lot in my experience :peace:.

Live Resin, itself, has a very interesting and unique preparation method, using frozen fresh cannabis, and not dry cured material like many other concentrates. By its very nature, live resin will be different from many other types of concentrates. This fresh preparation style now extends to even newer live rosin concentrates, for example :2c: :).

I don't know what the reported package terpene means in real life, try it both ways and let us know what you think.

YMMV... it's all about personal preference :peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Don't go strictly by the label when shopping. When I by Live, I must use my nose. Open it up and take a deep whiff. Personally, I've find myself favoring gassy smells and citrus (orange/tangie/clem)smells. Some can find it overwhelming as they have never experienced flavors so strong, but I dig them.

I no longer base any preference on color, I've been proven wrong on too many occasions.

I tend to prefer diamonds and sugar over sauce. Sauces tend to be a bit over-terppy for my palate.

Explore all you can until you get a good understanding of what is available, your preferences may be totally different than mine. It is all subjective.

EDIT- I'll add that when I speak of Live, I am not referring to carts.
My favorite live producers have been Harmony, Viola and Binske, but there are many other reputable companies out there.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Don't go strictly by the label when shopping. When I by Live, I must use my nose. Open it up and take a deep whiff. Personally, I've find myself favoring gassy smells and citrus (orange/tangie/clem)smells. Some can find it overwhelming as they have never experienced flavors so strong, but I dig them.

I no longer base any preference on color, I've been proven wrong on too many occasions.

I tend to prefer diamonds and sugar over sauce. Sauces tend to be a bit over-terppy for my palate.

Explore all you can until you get a good understanding of what is available, your preferences may be totally different than mine. It is all subjective.

EDIT- I'll add that when I speak of Live, I am not referring to carts.
My favorite live producers have been Harmony, Viola and Binske, but there are many other reputable companies out there.

Pretty much this. When going retail, I really don't bother looking at labels beyond the list of terps. I don't have much faith in all % of terps or THC as I find it not really at all tied with how high or medicated I get nor do the preprinted "test results" that are preprinted parts of the label or graphics, instill much confidence in the "testing". I personally try to look at and smell the material if possible, then based on that experience Ill give it a go. I tend to be loyal to brands that have done well in the past as they also seem to be able to keep consistent quality batch after batch. Im more of a sugar fan over diamonds and sauces, mainly due to my feeling that the THC from diamonds, at times, comes from a different source/is just distillate crystals with terps and sauces are usually in the same boat IME. Also goes without saying, don't buy tipped over jars or containers as things tend to get messy AF and you waste material on the packaging.

And Ill second Harmony Extracts (their specialty, banana kush is a masterpiece) and Viola Extracts as being super solid brands that will knock your socks off with their quality and Im stoked that NV has Viola finally (Violas clementine is INSANE.....no exaggeration.....IN.......SANE)

ensabbahnur,

darbarikanada

thanks for the responses. unfortunately cannabis is only sold in sealed packages here so smelling before you buy isn't an option. I guess I'll just start with a well-known brand...

hafalump

How runny are these? I use hard shatter with cotton in a nano or a vapcap, is this an option or does one need to dab this in a bucket?

hafalump,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Live can come in all different forms, usually you will see something something similar to diamonds, sugar, or sauce.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: hafalump

Gigsabits53

I've only had the pleasure of using LR once, and it was a few years ago now. All I can recall is that the flavor stood out to me but also that it was very potent.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Is there a shelf life to these concoctions? I have some live rosin I wonder about.

TommyDee,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In my experience the shelf life of unopened concentrates versus ones you are actually dabbing on are two different things.

I store all of my extracts in the refrigerator, but they definitely start losing quality after a few thermal cycles in and out of the fridge.

Also depends on what you're dabbing on - diamonds are very stable compared to say, water hash, or live rosin. Plus it depends on how long your jar lasts, if you only get 10 dabs out of a gram it will probably be empty before the quality changes much.

As far as solvent extracted live resin in general Im not a huge fan of solvents and tend to prefers co2 over butane when used, but my favorite use for live resin is liquid live in a Ccell cartridge, it makes for some great pens.

Last edited:
invertedisdead,
Top Bottom