• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Lipo Fire Bags

Summer

Long Island, NY
@cpk, posted this in another thread & I thought it worthy of it's own thread just to mention the existence of this type of product. Who knew? :shrug: Not me.

https://www.amazon.com/Youdepot-Fireproof-Sleeve-Explosion-Proof-Storage Wow, I am always surprised at the number of people who don't use them. I have had an 18650 vent inside one of these bags and I am so grateful I had it. Bag was only melted on the outside after it all. My wife was able to grab the bag and throw it outside. I always use one for external battery charging not cell phone or tablet. It's another level of protection and peace of mind for a cheap price.

And, just doing initial searching, I came up with this interesting vid. (There's also a Round 2 vid. & a few other vids.)

To be fair, I did come across this post also in the Battery Safety thread:
Just to give some perspective. Its rare for this type of thing to happen.
Im a firefighter with 16 years experience in 2 of the UKs busiest fire stations. I have seen one fire caused by a battery. It was a replacement/chinese copy dell laptop battery.
Consider how many batteries are in all the homes in my cities that Ive served in.
It must be many millions.
Millions of batteries over 16 years and i can recall 1 confirmed battery fire.
So i would say yes it happens but be sensible and be careful, have a smoke detector and youll be fine! You,re much more likely to suffer a kitchen fire caused by carelessness.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I use those bags... but only for RC Li-Po's in pouch form, and which happen to have ultra high discharge rates thanks to a chemistry that is indeed very flammable.

You know how I'm a strong advocate of battery safety around here, yet I still think this is overkill for our average 18650 IMR/INR's. If you use genuine cells, from the 3 major manufacturers, they are all designed to vent "gracefully" without catching fire even in case of hard shorts (check their datasheets, it's part of the QA tests performed at the factory) But some chemistries are safer than others, that's a given, and IMR/INR is quite good in that regard.

Of course a venting event can be quite dramatic, and it could well ignite something in close proximity due to the heat generated, even if the cell itself doesn't catch fire. This is why one should never leave charging batteries unattended (plus even chargers themselves can fail sometimes)

I think it's more important to always use the plastic carry cases during transport. But by all means, if you want to use a safety bag, it's always an extra protection and there's no drawback.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Yup, look to the RC world!

I don't find these necessary at all for our use... hell, I don't even use a bag when charging my 6s5000 70c Panther packs! Just practice safe battery charging and storage habits and these become somewhat unnecessary.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: KeroZen

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I've used one when taking Lipo's on flights into Spain and back.
I figure I'd take the best precautions I could to cover my arse.

Customs gave it a quick glance and off I went.

I'd be lost without my IH.

Top Bottom