Like to smoke indoors and not bother others. Looking for advice on choosing a vape.

WolfBlaze420

Just moved to a state where weed is legal, but they’re strict about where you can smoke. I smoked a couple of joints in my bathroom, thinking the fan would handle the smell, but no luck. If anything the fan might have made things worse by pushing the smoke/smell around. Message went around the building pointing out that others noticed the smell so I would like to figure something else out.

I think a bong would suffice but vaping seems better at making sure the job is done. Tried the Pixel vape in 2018-2019 and YoCan in 2022; didn’t love them. The YoCan gave a better high (I believe. Been a good minute since). Willing to give vapes another shot if they keep the smell down so can smoke inside without bothering others. Don't want to spend more than I need to accomplish that either but will if it's worth it.

Any vape recommendations that feel as close to smoking a joint as possible and, more importantly, won’t stink up an apartment to the point of reaching others?

WolfBlaze420,

SmokeyDope

Herbal Engineer
IMO microdose vaping is your best bet. Vape smoke is much less smelly than combustion to begin with, and microdosing (smoking a small amount of herb at a time) reduces smell even further since not a lot of vape smoke is escaping into the air.

If you are new to the vape world and not sure if its gonna be your thing I would suggest the dynavap b vape. Its about as affordable as quality vapes get and its tip(the steel chamber where herb goes in to get cooked) is already the right size for microdose hits. You can learn basic heating technique with any butane torch you have lying around the house and once you are hooked on the vape and tired of fucking around with torches can upgrade to an electric induction heater. If you aren't happy with the B being silicon the m7 is only a little more and all metal.

Alternatively the vaphit X is a budget alternative to the m7 for 40$. Its Chinese made and the cap is quartz instead of metal but otherwise looks like a good deal. I dont own and cannot speak to its quality.

If you have some spending money and want an electric vape the arizer products are a good lineup the Air Max was my entry to the vape world and its a very nice terp chasing device with no chance at combustion. Arizer stuffs Base price is a bit steep though I would wait till it goes on sale.

These days I rock the extremeq desktop vaporizer with ddaves one hitter mod. ExtremeQ is gold standard for build quality if nothing else all mine have lasted over a decade now. No worrying about batteries running out just plug it into an outlet and turn it on. Can be powered with USBC-PD 65w power bank and adapter cable to make it portable ish.

Last edited:

WolfBlaze420

IMO microdose vaping is your best bet. Vape smoke is much less smelly than combustion to begin with, and microdosing (smoking a small amount of herb at a time) reduces smell even further since not a lot of vape smoke is escaping into the air.

If you are new to the vape world and not sure if its gonna be your thing I would suggest the dynavap b vape. Its about as affordable as quality vapes get and its tip(the steel chamber where herb goes in to get cooked) is already the right size for microdose hits. You can learn basic heating technique with any butane torch you have lying around the house and once you are hooked on the vape and tired of fucking around with torches can upgrade to an electric induction heater. If you aren't happy with the B being silicon the m7 is only a little more and all metal.

Alternatively the vaphit X is a budget alternative to the m7 for 40$. Its Chinese made and the cap is quartz instead of metal but otherwise looks like a good deal. I dont own and cannot speak to its quality.

If you have some spending money and want an electric vape the arizer products are a good lineup the Air Max was my entry to the vape world and its a very nice terp chasing device with no chance at combustion. Arizer stuffs Base price is a bit steep though I would wait till it goes on sale.

These days I rock the extremeq desktop vaporizer with ddaves one hitter mod. ExtremeQ is gold standard for build quality if nothing else all mine have lasted over a decade now. No worrying about batteries running out just plug it into an outlet and turn it on. Can be powered with USBC-PD 65w power bank and adapter cable to make it portable ish.

Thanks for the info and suggestions

Do you have experience smoking indoors while worrying about making an issue for others? Does the desktop vaporizer you have/recommended make it easier to smoke indoors? Or is it all the same?

I like the idea of the desktop vape and considering it's around $200 which is the same as getting a dynavap + induction heater, it seems like a better route.

WolfBlaze420,

SmokeyDope

Herbal Engineer
>Do you have experience smoking indoors while worrying about making an issue for others?

I do, I started combusting as a teenager and my parents HATED the smell of pot. Got in trouble for it all the time specifically the smell. As an adult I visit them often and they are cool with me vaping in the same room and on car rides. I ask them if they smell it and they say a little but its not even close to the smell of combustion. During movie times in the living room nobody ever mentions anything about smell and I specifically tell em if smell is an issue to let me know. So based on their testimony its a marked improvement if not outright negation of the smell.

>Does the desktop vaporizer you have/recommended make it easier to smoke indoors? Or is it all the same?

In terms of having an always on always ready device that give big ripper one hit extractions it beats the other suggestions. My induction heater is the wand which has batteries to be charged between uses same with air max, they also are timed and cant stay on indefinitely unless you keep turning them on. There are desktop IHs without that issue though. ExtremeQ has none of these issues just plug and play all day like a champ.

the one thing about tthe extremeq if you decide to get it. The stock glass bowls arizer sells with them are not great. Herb sits too high from the heater element. I paid 50$ hoping the stock upgraded 'conisseur bowl' would give me a slightly more powerful extraction, nope. Do yourself a favor and at the very least get DDaves mod adapters which sit the herb MUCH closer to the element and bring its extraction on par with a dynavap. Also if you aren't gonna do the one hitter kit then pack the whips elbow screen to microdose.

Speaking of the whip. I personally prefer direct draw with as little air gap between herb and my lungs that is still comfortably cool. The longer vapor travels the less tasty, and the more chance it has to condensate in the tubing as hash oil instead of your lungs, And the more work your lungs do to vaccum the distance. Vapor is relatively cool compared to smoke so it doesnt need the cooling of long whips and big glass pieces. Cut a foot off the 3foot tubing if its too long, and get the silicone whip over the plastic one. I truly love the one hitter mod kit and part of why I can't stop talking about it is due to how direct draw has changed the game for me. Here's what my setup looks like.
Pic 1

Pic 2

I know you said you are willing to spend the 190$ for an eq, however if you want to save some money the arizer vtower is only 130$ and is essentially the eq without the balloon fan. Balloon hits are a fun novelty and can get you ripped but arent a necessary and have their own drawbacks. Mainly that the bags get nasty tasting quickly and need to be replaced. So if you want to save 60$ or usr that cash towards the mods and not bother with a less sustainable way of vaping the vtower is a good budget option. If you like the vtower and want an upgrade you can skip over the eq to the new shiny xq2 model.

Last edited:
SmokeyDope,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Do you have experience smoking indoors while worrying about making an issue for others? Does the desktop vaporizer you have/recommended make it easier to smoke indoors? Or is it all the same?

Welcome to FC! If you search there's actually some threads about this sort of subject already and can help you get a list together of what to do and acquire for this situation

I like the idea of the desktop vape and considering it's around $200 which is the same as getting a dynavap + induction heater, it seems like a better route.

I would actually highly recommend looking into log vapes if you are considering a desktop, for low smell microdosing they are pretty ideal, very efficient, can be very cost-effective, and are reliably durable as well...

gmocooties

I'm not sure if anyone else can attest to this, but I've always found hybrid/conduction-heavy vapes to be smellier than convection-based ones - presumably because the flower is constantly cooking?

My Arizer Air Max has a noticeably stronger smell (the vape itself, not the vapour) than many of my other vapes, for instance. Might be worth investing in a smell-proof case, if this is a concern! I grabbed one for my Air Max for this very reason.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I'm not sure if anyone else can attest to this, but I've always found hybrid/conduction-heavy vapes to be smellier than convection-based ones - presumably because the flower is constantly cooking?

My Arizer Air Max has a noticeably stronger smell (the vape itself, not the vapour) than many of my other vapes, for instance. Might be worth investing in a smell-proof case, if this is a concern! I grabbed one for my Air Max for this very reason.
Definitely accurate from my experience, especially in the case of session vapes that can’t be fully disassembled like the Arizers, IQs, Pax, etc. Haven’t experienced as much smell from my Firewoods (on demand conduction hybrid) since I can fully disassemble the ovens, but I do keep them in airtight containers to be safe.

Also in my experience the smelliest part of vaping is the weed itself. Had my stuff in allegedly air tight containers but still had a smell in the cupboard I kept the jar in (I can also smell my neighbour’s stash through our drafty shared wall). I ended up switching to a jyarz container which pretty much eliminated the odor leakage. I think airtight spice jars should also work?

chillAtGVC

How did you know there was leakage?
@Shit Snacks you can smell the leakage. Every time I open the cupboard door I get a whiff of weed. That is what I use for half or whole ounces. My theory is that the lids only really seal well when hot and under pressure (vacuum inside). Yes, I am also an avid canner!

For 5g or less, I have metal jars from Amazon with screw on lids and o-rings that I also got from Amazon. Those seem to work much better.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Caveat: I’m fairly sensitive to strong smells so my perception might not be the same as others.

How did you know there was leakage?
The drawer always smelled like weed. Could smell it standing nearby, even more when the drawer was open and when the jar was removed the smell followed the jar, but now the smell only returns when I open the container. Also when I was younger my folks managed to find my stash I stored in a mason jar no matter where I hid it in my room.

Chances are about equal whether the smell was on the jar or seeping out of the jar since the 3 jars I tried (2 standard masons, 1 shackle type) all had 2+ year old gaskets that have been through the dishwasher (they definitely have dried out by now) and I would usually close the jar with weed residue on my hands.

Lately I’ve taken to storing my preground stuff in a dynavap snapstash and putting that inside a pill bottle, seems like more layers are better when it comes to smell mitigation.

Edit: not sure how to add quotes in an edit, but I suspect you’re right about the pressure sealing @chillAtGVC. The jars are watertight, but they must have some air permeability since otherwise you couldn’t boil the air out when canning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom