Let's just say I hook a great white shark. What happens then?

2 Cycle

i am amateur fisherman but I am a fighter so let's just say I am on a boat and hook a great white. I hear they are endangered but let's forget that for a second. I am starving and hunger threatens to kill. I have a 12 foot great white on the line. Do I bring it near and beat it with an oar? What strategy should I employ to get it aboard?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I am starving and hunger threatens to kill

If starving Eat whatever you're using as bait.

Hitting a 12 foot great white with an oar will probably only piss it off and be no help at all.

Of course you could(and for you I actually think you should) use a noodling method and just dangle you arm over the side of the boat and when the shark grabs it you shove your hand down it's throat and pull it aboard the boat, Good Luck.

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Unless you have a rifle or pistol, you will not do much to that creature with an oar. Too much muscle and protection. Also, consider the immense dangers of it thrashing on the boat, let alone anything else.

My father in law catches several hundred pound halibut off the Kodiak coast and you can use a bat or an oar with that one, but that's because they're so flat and flimsy you can actually do some damage. And you have to, cause that thing flailing is enough to knock you out and overboard into 40 degree water at the same time.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Cathing fish that swim in the deep requires proper gear. You can fight all you want but you will lose to a 3' sand shark if you think your ability to fight the fish at the end of the line matters. I may be amatuer at best but I can assure you when I was 13 years old and caught a 48lb dolphinfish it was not about me...it was about the rod and reel, the line and the boat. When my 75 year old granddad caught a +50lbs wahoo the same day it gave quite a fight. Keep in mind these fish at this low weight could pull a full size person in the water if the pole wasnt secured to the boat. You have their weight plus the weight created by the resistance of the water between you and the fish as well as the added force from the boat going one direction and the fish going the other. Most deep sea boats dont stop to fish, you drag the lines behind and beside the boat as it keeps a steady pace.

Now a 12 foot great white is probably pretty small for a great white but that takes a team to catch. Also, you dont use an oar when you get fish close. You use a spear. Keeping the fish alive after the catch if your not going to toss back is kinda pointless and very counterproductive.

If you see a great white I suggest you forget about the rod and reel and take a picture because thats about as close as your gonna get ever.

2 Cycle

Hey guys Thanks for the heads up. Here in cape cod they are all over the place. I guess I underestimated their power. I played football in high school and wrestled a bit, good to know I should avoid these creatures rather than try to take one down bare handed

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Because of their rows of teeth, you will need a leader made of sturdy wire so that their teeth don't cut the line. Even so, a shark can cut through wire leaders.

You could try to tire the shark out; a difficult task. You would need a relatively slack drag set so he could run with it, and then you reel it in as fast as you can when he stops running. 3, 4, 7 hrs later, the shark is bushed but still dangerous. Everytime he gets close, someone needs to wack him.

I say, let the poor monster live.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Someone say sharkin?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom