Legal and new job

mephisto

I work for the state and I have a medical card. Soon I will be transferring to a different division and I expect to be subject to a drug screen. My state has
"protection" against discrimination for being a medical patient. Do I submit a standard, homemade batch of dirty urine? Do I show the testing facility my card prior to peeing? Do I study hard and pass my test with ease, zero disclosure?
Any responses from the forum are welcome. Thank you in advance.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I work for the state and I have a medical card. Soon I will be transferring to a different division and I expect to be subject to a drug screen. My state has
"protection" against discrimination for being a medical patient. Do I submit a standard, homemade batch of dirty urine? Do I show the testing facility my card prior to peeing? Do I study hard and pass my test with ease, zero disclosure?
If prescribed and protections are in place show it the same as any prescribed medication.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I'm sorry @mephisto. Nobody should have to deal with this anguish shit over cannabis.

I don't have a lot of trust in people. The rules can say whatever they want, the government will tend to fuck you over. I'd do what I could to keep it from them, unless doing so puts you at risk.

You wouldn't drink whiskey at work in a state office and you wouldn't vape weed there for the same reasons. Fuck them for judging what we do in our free time.

Endless Interim

To me the protection isn't enough as it depends on your managers/employers viewpoint /policy on cannabis really.When you go in to test the lab will sometimes ask up front if you have a medical card(depends on lab) and if so I would say yes and hope it is viewed by the hiring manager as no big deal.If it is an issue you will usually not be declined employment at the moment as it is illegal to decline employment just because you have a card.But this is where I feel the protection isn't enough because most managers/employers who look down at using will usually ''find'' a bullshit reason within the first month to let you go.I have seen this happen at my previous employer many times.

Now if your employer is cool with cannabis use the protection can be great and used as it should such as you are kicking back on a day off or even at work and you are called in to take a random test.As long as cannabis is the only drug in your system you are good to go.I really hope that is the situation for you.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
To be clear, my med card is issued by the division I work for now.

Jesus Dude, that is so fucked up. Like fucked up on so many levels. Hipocracy, irony? I know they have terms for this in English class. I feel for you man. Best wishes. I hope it works out.

And if it does work out, take the job, then pretend to fall and sue the fuck out of the State. Fuckers.

RobbIt

If prescribed and protections are in place show it the same as any prescribed medication.
Workplace laws surrounding medical cannabis patients are developing. They won’t be settled as long as it’s state legal but a Schedule 1 drug under federal law. I would not assume that you will receive the same treatment as you would if you just showed your Rx from your local pharmacy. I strongly suggest you do some state specific research and contact a knowledgable employment attorney before embarking on any planned drug test or disclosures.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Due to the federal vs state legal conundrum I personally would be studying to ensure I pass without a hitch as you stated. Its a bummer that its necessary, but it seems the safest option unless you're trying to be a martyr for a cause.

NomDePlumez

I'm sorry @mephisto. Nobody should have to deal with this anguish shit over cannabis.

I don't have a lot of trust in people. The rules can say whatever they want, the government will tend to fuck you over. I'd do what I could to keep it from them, unless doing so puts you at risk.

You wouldn't drink whiskey at work in a state office and you wouldn't vape weed there for the same reasons. Fuck them for judging what we do in our free time.
Totally agree.

And maybe I am biased but having been a manager, I will happily take a stoner - and especially a medical patient - over someone who comes in hungover.

Top Bottom