Kindness to stray(?) dogs; anyone else take them in? Random dogness.

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
As a very short disclaimer; I'm not an expert in handling dogs....I'm an idiot who seems to take chances with animals but hasn't suffered so far (see the short addendum about the pig).

I've always been a sucker for feeding animals, from the zoo to animals I found in Yellowstone Park to animals I found in state parks all over the midwest-farwest US. Was driving through a Grizzly Park, and there was this old bear that didn't look well at all (getting picked on by the others, looked too skinny, etc), so we threw him a watermelon and a bunch of hamburger from the cooler. Stupid as hell, but he seemed to like it.

I've taken in a Rottweiler (had a collar on), a Yorkie, some Greyhound/Sheltie cross, countless cats. I've checked dog tatoos, etc.

Also thinking of getting an other dog. My current dogs are small (41 and 17 lbs), both female, both spayed. I've bought a new house with a backyard 42x114 ft. Will be living about a 10 minute drive from work and am willing to drive home at lunch to stay with the dogs for a 1//2 hour or so. Won't be moving until June 25.

Any ideas for a 20 lb or less dog. Feisty and preferably capable of hiking in rough terrain. Woud prefer boundless energy ( see I am an idiot :)). I've got a Cairn Terrier, so maybe a Jack Russel? Terrier owners out there?

thanks

doggedly yours (haha)

Tom

[Dammit, I posted without telling about the pig. I was at work in an animal research unit making experimental diets and had sat down on a large balance to eat a chocolate bar. I heard some noise down one of the 5 adjacent hallways, ignored it (I have no idea how many people work there or who works there....other people who work there the same) and ate my chocolate bar.

In the room walks/saunters a 1200 lb sow and snuffles at me. Did the only thing I could think of which was to surrender my chocolate bar. Also gave up Halls cough candies (wrappers and all).

This is gonna sound odd, but the pig seemed friendly....liked having it's head scratched and being talked to. Definitely liked the snacks . ]

tdavie,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:lol: loved the part about the pig.

My suggestion would be for a terrier. I've had a schnauzer, a wheaten terrier and my current dog is some small mix. The Wheaten would have my vote. They are such sweet dogs; full of fun and mischief, always ready to play. They are great with kids and are the dogs allergists recommend most (no shedding). They run around 30 pounds and stay puppies until they die. Best dogs ever. Of course, I many be a little biased; my Wheaten was one of the best dogs I've ever known. :)

momofthegoons,

Purple-Days

We had a Jack Russel Terrier for 12 years (since a 5 week pup). He was handful till near the end (liver cancer). Very stubborn, very loyal, trainable (hand signals), loved the water, tough, would romp with a Rottie, the dog had no fear* and got along well with other dogs. *The only animal that every backed him down was a huge bull named Buckshot (the kind of bull with horns)... that was funny . . .

Beware, Jacks are not for everyone.

I'm enjoying my second Scotty. A male Scotty is another dog that's not for everyone, but they are special.

Purple-Days,

djonkoman

we don't really have stray dogs here'
I live in a village so never seen one around the house
also in the closest city I can't remember ever seeing a stray dog

the first time I saw them was some weeks back in rome, and no, didn't give them any food

djonkoman,
Yeah, stray dogs are a rarity in my area. Stray cats are pretty common, I used to feed one chicken all the time on the trail I walked, until he just vanished one day. I get fucking sad thinking about that little black cat. He was so sweet and comfortable with people he was obviously just abandoned by some asshole, an asshole who I hope gets gangrene.

And OP, don't be feeding any bears! You're gonna get someone killed teaching them that behavior, I don't care if the bear's a leper.

charliedontsurf,

lwien

tdavie said:
This is gonna sound odd, but the pig seemed friendly....liked having it's head scratched and being talked to. Definitely liked the snacks . ]

I've heard that pigs are as smart if not smarter than dogs and can make for a great pet, but maybe just a wee bit smaller than this one:

lwien,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
charliedontsurf said:
And OP, don't be feeding any bears! You're gonna get someone killed teaching them that behavior, I don't care if the bear's a leper.

This was over 11 years ago, and no, even though I've been in the presence of bears since (garbage dump, in the bush but far away, in a provincial park) I've not fed them.

Tom

tdavie,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
lwien said:
I've heard that pigs are as smart if not smarter than dogs and can make for a great pet, but maybe just a wee bit smaller than this one:

lwien; baby pigs are so smart that they are accorded (under the animal protocols that I work ) EEED (Environmental Entertainment Enrichment Devices ) in their pens. Typically vinyl balls, a squeaky toy and a blanket. I don't like working with them because they are intelligent. Haven't directly worked with piglets in over 12 years though; mostly poultry research.

Tom

(honestly can't remember forum etiquette about posting responses to a number of posts in a row, so I'll quickly add here that I've got 3 Wheaten Terrier breeders in my city and Purple-Days 'yeah Jack's can be a handful, and it was just a what-if thought. And impractical'. A Rat Terrier is more realistic)

tdavie,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Dog park is a good place to see breeds in action, and people are easy to talk to

VWFringe,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
VWFringe said:
Dog park is a good place to see breeds in action, and people are easy to talk to

Yup, and I'm moving away from the biggest off leash dog park in the city (bout 1/2 km away from) to outside of the city. There are a lot of parks near my new place, and I'm sure I'll end up walking them straight out into the country away from the city (new place will be about 5 km from a provincial park).

Tom

tdavie,

crawdad

floatin
i take in strays or those in shelters only. ive had a few stray cats (down to one now, rip to the others) and also a border terrier from a shelter, he is a great dog...no shedding (that i can tell) and rarely barks, small but not tea cup sized.

crawdad,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
There's actually a wheaten rescue league that I found when I was looking for a new dog. I realized that, at this stage of my life, a wheaten wasn't the best idea. They can also be a handful when young and need a firm, but gently patient hand when training (as do most terriers). Since I have orthopedic issues, I needed something smaller.

If I could persuade my husband, I would get at least one more dog. :lol: I just love the little guys.

momofthegoons,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I was looking at dogs online last night at my local humane society and there was this absolutely beautiful French Mastiff. Well socialized, likes other dogs and little kids, but the owners had to surrender him because he would play too exuberantly with their small kids and knock them over.

The guy weighs around 143 lbs so he's just a little bit too much :( A Wheaten is still a possibility as well as a Border Collie.

Tom

tdavie,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Too bad. I'll bet that big boy is a real baby. But having a dog that size is a whole different ball game. They are a real presence.

momofthegoons,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Time to bump this thread and ask for some well wishes, prayers, white light or whatever you guys have to offer up. My sweet little guy Cosmo, pictured below, has been in the hospital for two days. I got a call at 4:00 am this morning that he is not doing well. We can't figure out what is wrong with him. Initially, we thought he had ingested something and had a blockage. Now, he is peeing blood and is severely anemic. They are giving him a transfusion and are trying to figure out if he has a blood disorder and is bleeding out or has ingested rat poison since everything else has been ruled out. This is my best little guy and I really need him to pull through this. Any good vibes you can send his way would be greatly appreciated.

2igeucm.jpg

momofthegoons,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Awww! Thoughts and vibes headed your way Mom!!!

Lo,

drumwizard

Account Closed
Time to bump this thread and ask for some well wishes, prayers, white light or whatever you guys have to offer up. My sweet little guy Cosmo, pictured below, has been in the hospital for two days. I got a call at 4:00 am this morning that he is not doing well. We can't figure out what is wrong with him. Initially, we thought he had ingested something and had a blockage. Now, he is peeing blood and is severely anemic. They are giving him a transfusion and are trying to figure out if he has a blood disorder and is bleeding out or has ingested rat poison since everything else has been ruled out. This is my best little guy and I really need him to pull through this. Any good vibes you can send his way would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about Cosmo. My wife and I have a dog too so I know the bond that you establish with that extra member of the family. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Cosmo. I hope everything turns out ok.

drumwizard,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I am so sorry to hear about your poor Cosmo, I have had way too many animals in my life go through pain and it's really one of the worst things to experience. I hope he is back home and chilling on the couch with you soon!

aesthyrian,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you everyone. :love:

We almost lost him yesterday, but he is responding to treatment now. Apparently, it was rat poison. How; we're not sure. Three transfusions and some Vit. K later, and, surprisingly, we might even get our little guy back home today. He'll have to be kept quiet for a couple of weeks because of the extensive internal bleeding and bruising he's had, but it will be so good to get that little fucker back home! :party:

I'm a big believer in the power of positive energy. Thanks for sending it my way. :D

momofthegoons,
Reactions: Vicki

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Way to go mom! :cheers: We got our cat back after a $5k mystery scare, take pictures this summer!

positive.jpg

t-dub,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Unfortunately, we can't have him home just yet. I just got home from visiting him and trying to get him to eat something (with no luck). Seeing him was upsetting, to say the least. He's still not "right." He has no energy whatsoever. They're keeping him because his platelets are dangerously low. This is not consistent with the rat bait poisoning, so now they are wondering if he has an immune system deficiency disease/disorder. He looks terrible, with bad bruising on his hindquarters. It was not the best of visits.

I head back in a few hours with some chicken and rice that I'm making to see if we can coax him into eating a bit. I don't even want to share what this bill is going to be. I'm just hopeful we can get this little guy through this and not have to put him down.

This just sucks. :ugh:

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom