Is it possible to line a wooden stem with stainless steel after the fact?

borbjorbis

I got a beautiful Aezhennwood stem second-hand recently, and as much as I appreciate the removeable glass lining, I'm thinking it would be awesome if it were SS lined so that I can add an intercooler (+ ease of cleaning / neutral flavor). Is it possible to line a stem after it's already been turned? I really have no idea how it works.

Also do let me if you think it would be disrespectful to modify it (assuming it's even possible). The stem is a work of art and I want to treat it as such, just thinking that with a Stinger or a Revolve cooling unit it would marry aesthetics and practicality for me perfectly, and probably become my most used stem of all time. Thanks!

Last edited:
borbjorbis,

Suki

I think it is possible but you'd need special tools of course or ask another woodworker to do it. It also depends how you want to do it, I believe the best way it is crave a groove on the inside of the stem and fit an oring in there, so it will hold the lining in place.

I don't think it is disrespectful to modify it, at least not in that way.

good luck

Suki,

maremaresing

Disrespectful is creating a vapor path and human interface out of a porous material that cannot be cleaned and collects mouth bacteria. But that's already been done by the woodworker.

For you, to partially remediate this, take some calipers and measure the inner diameter of the stem. Then, go online and purchase some 304 stainless capillary tubing. If you are lucky, you could get some that are almost exactly the stem diameter that can be pressed into place. If not, you'll need some orings or something like Suki mentioned to create a firm fitment.

I advise cutting the tube a bit longer than the stem so you have something that is not wood to put your mouth on. Maybe see about fitting a metal mouthpiece or something.

I did this recently to add a stainless vapor path to my VaporGenie Hand Carved. I still rarely use it because I have full stainless or glass VG, but it makes me feel better about it.

maremaresing,

howie105

Work out the details before you permanently modify the stem. Find the stainless steel liner that you want to use, hook the liner up to your glass pieces and see if you like the hit. You also need to decide if the wood stem is robust enough to survive the transformation and use. A final suggestion, If possible leave the wooden sleeve as a removable component, it makes cleaning an easier task.

howie105,

borbjorbis

Thanks for the input guys. Gonna pick up a pair of calibers and start looking at my options. Really looking forward to a fun project, although hoping I don't fuck something up in the process lol

borbjorbis,
Top Bottom