Is anyone interested in a thread about arthritis relief?

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
If not, no problem. Just thought I'd offer this up for digestion (and this is the basis of my application for an MMAR in Canada). I have mild to moderate Osteoarthritis in my hands and feet. Not a problem. Normally, I'd suffer like an idiot (I refuse to take most pills based on a failed 4 year Masters Degree in Pharmacology). As a lab tech, I make my living based on the manual dexterity of my hands and fingers, plus I am on my feet about 5 hours per day at work). And that is why I have started to use MMJ (not legally yet). If I vape about 1-1.6 grams per night, I find that I am able to function without pain at work the next day. Additionally, I am without panic disorder for about 16-20 hours. So in essence, if I vape every two hours once I get home at 5:30 pm each day( 5:30, 7:30. 9:30 and 11:30, I am pain free for about 18-20 hours, and anxiety free (I get hit by anxiety at work, but try to ignore it) for the same amount of time; in other words, I am good to go without stress and pain for one day.

Certainly not denying that I get a reasonable amount of euphoria/happiness about it, but at the moment I have been pain free for 4 hours and stress free for about 5.

Just food for thought. Not a problem if ignored.

Peace out.

Tom

tdavie,
Reactions: duckTape

Qbit

cannabanana
tdavie said:
If not, no problem. Just thought I'd offer this up for digestion (and this is the basis of my application for an MMAR in Canada). I have mild to moderate Osteoarthritis in my hands and feet. Not a problem. Normally, I'd suffer like an idiot (I refuse to take most pills based on a failed 4 year Masters Degree in Pharmacology). As a lab tech, I make my living based on the manual dexterity of my hands and fingers, plus I am on my feet about 5 hours per day at work). And that is why I have started to use MMJ (not legally yet). If I vape about 1-1.6 grams per night, I find that I am able to function without pain at work the next day. Additionally, I am without panic disorder for about 16-20 hours. So in essence, if I vape every two hours once I get home at 5:30 pm each day( 5:30, 7:30. 9:30 and 11:30, I am pain free for about 18-20 hours, and anxiety free (I get hit by anxiety at work, but try to ignore it) for the same amount of time; in other words, I am good to go without stress and pain for one day.

Certainly not denying that I get a reasonable amount of euphoria/happiness about it, but at the moment I have been pain free for 4 hours and stress free for about 5.

Just food for thought. Not a problem if ignored.

Peace out.

Tom
Well I don't have arthritis myself, but it's great to hear that the weed helps you so much. I'm sure people would be interested in a thread about the subject - maybe you should start one. ;):D

Qbit,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
That thread is this post :) .

I say one thing that I've found; use of a fixed temperature vaporizer is less effective for arthritis than a variable temperature vaporizer. At or below 180C, there are at leastt 4 compounds with analgesic properties, and 7 for antinflammatory properties. At or above 185C, there are at least 4 compounds that sedate. Given an accurate temperature setting/display of what is reaching or hitting the herb, this should prove effective at separating some of a sedative effect from an anti arthritis effect. I don't know enough about Sativa or Indica to say that this would be more effective with one or the other. I guess I would have to see a chemical distribution graph of some common cannabis constituents to make an accurate opinion. I would love to see a large, well funded study that could coorelate Cannabis genetics to chemical composition.

Tom

tdavie,

Hanibal Lectin

Paleo diet without nightshade vegetables has worked wonders for me,also there is an herbal product called Zyflamend that works amazingly

Hanibal Lectin,

Flyer

good Topic tdavie, lots to learn, 0 meds here for art. pain. I said fuck it and went on with life, hurts aches and so on but I do and am able to vape at work, all is good, nightshade comment is right on, good job, healty diet is best, fast food no no. flexibility is a must, light exercise at joint is a must ,keep all moving parts moving. I am so sorry for spelling, now and in the future. My wife and I are jewelers, sit all day hunched over a bench stressed out with magnifiers on, all is good.:D

Flyer,

chucku

Charles Urbane
I have used glucosamine supplements for several years and they work great. My so is just starting with glucosamine supplements and she thinks they will work for her. I first gave veterinary glucosamine supplements to an aging dog years before I started and it was a fountain of youth for him.

chucku,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and have been using cannabis for pain relief for a few years now. It helps me a lot better than the RX pain pills.

Vicki,

micitacel

I'm just developing arthritis in my hands and, while that isn't the reason I got the medical Mj card, I'd sure like to know more about cannabis for this, if it helps. So count me in.

micitacel,

Hanibal Lectin

this was in a newsletter I got this morning

Lectins and Autoimmune Disease
Loren Cordain, Ph.D.

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a disease in which the bodys own immune system begins to recognize bone, cartilage, and tissues which serve as a cushion between bones in joints as foreign bodies and will begin to systematically destroy or degrade these tissues. This leads to extreme pain, inflammation, stiffness, and eventual immobility of certain joints. Though the cause of RA is still largely unknown, it has long been known that RA symptoms are highly correlated with inflammation of gut. In this review of RA published in 2000, Dr. Cordain offered some interesting theories of how specific dietary elements may be contributing to both an inflamed gut and RA symptoms.

Gut inflammation is known to increase intestinal permeability, so that the gut becomes less capable of limiting the substances that cross the gut barrier and into the blood stream. Interestingly, 67% of all RA sufferers also suffer from gut inflammation. In this article Dr. Cordain suggested that specific substances known as dietary lectins may be involved in both the inflammation of the gut and in facilitating the movement of bacteria from the gut into the blood stream.

Specific dietary lectins, found in wheat, grains, and legumes, have been shown in animal models to damage intestinal cell walls, leading to an inflamed state. This inflammatory state allows passage of bacteria and other foreign proteins into the blood stream that simply should not be allowed there. Additionally, dietary lectins have been shown to facilitate the preferential growth of specific gut bacteria often associated with RA symptoms. These bacteria share a sequence of proteins very similar to many of our own bodys protein sequences. Immune cells read the protein sequences on the bacteria and may begin to associate similar self-proteins with these foreign substances, thus attacking both the bacteria and our own tissues.

Lectins themselves have been shown to be capable of crossing a damaged gut membrane and entering into the bloodstream in tact. It is not known whether dietary lectins bind to synovial tissues in joints. However, in animal models when lectins were injected directly into joints the result was a massive immune response followed by the destruction of joint tissue. If lectins are indeed binding to synovial tissues, this coupled movement of gut bacteria into the blood and lectins' own ability to cause an immune response may be large factors influencing RA symptoms.

Knowing as we do that inflammatory guts and RA are strongly correlated and that dietary lectins are potential causers of inflamed guts it is to our benefit to examine further the connection between the two events and the dietary mechanisms through which these events may be triggered.

Cordain L, Toohey L, Smith MJ, Hickey MS. Modulation of immune function by dietary lectins in rheumatoid arthritis. Brit J Nutr 2000, 83:207-217.
Link to paper.

Hanibal Lectin,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
That is an interesting theory. I wish they could find the exact cause. It would help a lot with the way they treat this disease. Right now, doctors treat it with drugs that suppress the immune system. They also use Methotrexate, Plaquenil and steroids.

These drugs just stop the immune system, they don't cure the disease, unfortunately. I have been on Plaquenil, but I'm not ready to start the stronger drugs just yet. Despite the fact that I am in a lot of pain. I guess I am waiting until I get to a point where I have no choice. :(

Vicki,

Hanibal Lectin

everyone has to find what works for them.
My theory about experimenting with diet is that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain and it's basically free since you have to eat anyway so what not try it? especially if the research is compelling.
I know it's helped me tremendously.

Hanibal Lectin,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Hanibal Lectin said:
everyone has to find what works for them.
My theory about experimenting with diet is that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain and it's basically free since you have to eat anyway so what not try it? especially if the research is compelling.
I know it's helped me tremendously.
I'll definitely take a look at it.

Vicki,

fail

About your arthritis....

The weed is cool, but there is something much more efficient to CURE arthritis.
Did you ever hear about bee venom therapy? I won't go into any details about this, as I think that you will do your research.

This is the real thing for a lot of illnesses and mostly effective for arthritis like disorders.
I can guarantee you (over the net, without even meeting you) that bee venom therapy will make such an impact on your arthritis, you will forget about the weed.
This is from obtained knowledge and personal experience.

Two important points about bee venom:
* Bee venom is the only known substance which can dissolve scar tissue.
* Bee venom is an extremely potent natural cortisol. Over 100 times stronger than the one you know.

Find an Apitherapy practitioner for initial supervision. Later you can practice this yourself.

Watch the Videos

fail,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
fail said:
About your arthritis....

The weed is cool, but there is something much more efficient to CURE arthritis.
Did you ever hear about bee venom therapy? I won't go into any details about this, as I think that you will do your research.

This is the real thing for a lot of illnesses and mostly effective for arthritis like disorders.
I can guarantee you (over the net, without even meeting you) that bee venom therapy will make such an impact on your arthritis, you will forget about the weed.
This is from obtained knowledge and personal experience.

Two important points about bee venom:
* Bee venom is the only known substance which can dissolve scar tissue.
* Bee venom is an extremely potent natural cortisol. Over 100 times stronger than the one you know.

Find an Apitherapy practitioner for initial supervision. Later you can practice this yourself.

Watch the Videos

I actually read about this therapy a little while back, but I can't do it because I'm allergic to bee stings. I have an Epi-Pen, just in case. Maybe the OP can, though.

Vicki,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Vicki I am aware of this type of therapy, but probably can not practice it. I'm not anaphylactic but am allergic to bees, wasps and hornets. That's probably one reason why I hate summer and love winter. And from a snow perspective, this winter has been good to me :)

I did find that a cayenne/capsacin balm that was at the pharmacy helped a bit. But it becomes less effective when it is cold, and I spend a lot of time outside when the weather is colder.

Tom

(thanks to the people who've posted in this thread)

tdavie,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
tdavie said:
@Vicki I am aware of this type of therapy, but probably can not practice it. I'm not anaphylactic but am allergic to bees, wasps and hornets. That's probably one reason why I hate summer and love winter. And from a snow perspective, this winter has been good to me :)

I did find that a cayenne/capsacin balm that was at the pharmacy helped a bit. But it becomes less effective when it is cold, and I spend a lot of time outside when the weather is colder.

Tom

(thanks to the people who've posted in this thread)
If that is the case, you should probably avoid the "sting therapy" as well. I may get some Capsacin lotion and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Vicki,

max

Out to lunch
bee venom therapy- this is interesting. But finding an Apitherapy practitioner is a challenge. The American Apitherapy Society (if you're in the US) can hook you up with some contacts, but first you have to be a member, which is $45/yr., and then there's no guarantee you'll find anyone providing the service anywhere near you. :/

Hanibal Lectin said:
Lectins and Autoimmune Disease
Also very interesting, and I'm inclined to think there can be a lot of help here. I know for a fact that the medical profession's answer (western medicine anyway) for gastrointestinal problems (prescription drugs and surgery) is way off base. They do nothing to address the problem, just the symptoms. Simply avoiding certain food combinations does more for these conditions than anything you'll get from a doctor.

max,
Top Bottom