• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It's pretty good the way it is, but colors would drive people batty! "The Heady Z"...

Please ignore, though, so I don't have to buy assorted Zs!

Well I don't want to say the right (or wrong) thing, but that's already in the plans :lol:

But I have a lot of plans, so...; you know :D

Plus, the white one still looks so damn good :cool:

298-F6840-2-D05-41-E7-A45-A-5-CBCA5-A3-A21-A.jpg

Oh yeah I know what I was going to change on the Z8, the only thing I came up with is to make the fitment a little tighter between the coil and housing for easier installation, but that's all I've got so far. That was a minor initial oversight as I wasn't quite used to having this much control over all the dimensions coming from my hand worked glass stuff.

Planck

believes in Dog
Well I'm no machinist so I can't say with absolute certainty, but when I had my prototypes built that I posted a page or so ago that fit standard male glass joints, the more affordable shops without 5 axis capability told me they couldn't do it and to go somewhere that could do 5 axis. Those parts were a lot different from the SX though as they were designed to be vertically milled where the SX was designed to be turned so that might have something to do with it.
Yeah that's it. Well an inside taper could be done vertical on a 4 axis if the 4th axis is a rotary table. FWIW If a part can be made on a lathe it unlikely that any multi axis mill will do a better or cheaper job
Yeah I think I see what you're saying; thinking on it with a fresh mind/dab I'm not sure the taper is even needed, just a hole with a close enough tolerance to not create a bunch of wobble and allowing the weight of the device to keep it planted would probably be sufficient unless I'm forgetting something (definitely possible, those low tempers creep up on you... :lol: )
Yes I think you are right that the extra step down may not be needed. I'm just spitballing ideas. However should it be deemed necessary it's not much machine time to make it so.
Only thing is, my desktop designs have a pretty short joint for a reduced contact area, and a lot of people like to add handles so I'd have to think for a minute if that might cause any kind of counterweight issues.
Compared to something like the DC or Qstand where the coil arm itself is what's bearing the load.
I kind of like that style as you're not really transferring heat from the vape into the stand.
I know I have some hand drawings around here of some stands I designed in like 2020, it was basically like the Qshop stand as I was going to do them out of glass.

I'll try and put a few different ideas together and I'll post them up to see what people
Perhaps, looking at the rendering it appears that the joint would be long enough. If the fit is decent not much material needs to engage for metal to carry loads well beyond what it would see, I assume the same is true for the ceramic but you would know for sure.

I get the appeal of the DC or Qstand. However imo they do not come close to offering the level of safety the CH hanger provides imo. One would have to be exceedingly unlucky or exceedingly clumsy, perhaps both to suffer a burn from the head while it's in the stand. Even if one missed getting the head on the post it's still pretty safe. It's also heavy enough that tipping it over or pulling it off a table would take some decent amount of force.

I hope my rambling are of some value and not just annoying. I see a design/manufacturing problem I try to solve it, like a dog if it moves chase it.

Really great to see you moving forward with your ideas!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
FWIW If a part can be made on a lathe it unlikely that any multi axis mill will do a better or cheaper job

Definitely, but my other vape design wasn't a ball vape so it needed some fancier production to produce the heat exchange mechanism. The SX is the first one I've really done that could be turned on a lathe. I'm hoping to pass on the savings so folks can enjoy an affordable and efficient little hitter!

Also because these are being produced super locally (like 30 minutes away) this first round is probably going to be done super fast, I'm being told they should be complete early next week. Still waiting on beads and glass though to be able to send these out, but I'm hoping to get this first round wrapped up very shortly so we can get onto the next!

I get the appeal of the DC or Qstand. However imo they do not come close to offering the level of safety the CH hanger provides imo. One would have to be exceedingly unlucky or exceedingly clumsy, perhaps both to suffer a burn from the head while it's in the stand. Even if one missed getting the head on the post it's still pretty safe. It's also heavy enough that tipping it over or pulling it off a table would take some decent amount of force.

I hope my rambling are of some value and not just annoying. I see a design/manufacturing problem I try to solve it, like a dog if it moves chase it.

Really great to see you moving forward with your ideas!

I appreciate your encouragement my friend!!

Been a long and windy road for sure :D

My only reservation with the whole safety conversation, as a kid who started his tests from the last problem and worked backwards is; I can't help but feel that the injector platform really isn't ideal to start with if safety factor is the ultimate pursuance. At some point it just makes more sense to build a self contained unit (or buy a portable) rather than add on various accessories that still don't solve all the potentialities. I can certainly appreciate efforts to improve handling safety and think that's an important goal, but just like exposed coils versus threaded housings, I feel the exposed coil doesn't try to hide the hot reality and that helps keeps people on their game. In my experience the biggest chance of an issue is going to be dropping the vape out of your hand, more than brushing up against it in the stand, and even that's a pretty small chance. What I've seen happen is people do way bigger hits than they think they're getting, and then they start coughing while holding a vape in their hands from clearing the bowl, and then involuntarily drop it.

Plus, the white one still looks so damn good :cool:

Wow, that's the absolute worst picture of my heady fumed glass I could have possibly taken :rofl:
I'm gonna have to step up my marketing material big time :rofl:

I really have got to get a new phone :lol: I haven't had a cell phone plan in over a decade.... :ninja:
Apparently they're all like $2000 these days? :spliff:

What exactly happened in the world while I was gone in a trance working on these ball vapes? :popcorn:

Vaporware

What I've seen happen is people do way bigger hits than they think they're getting, and then they start coughing while holding a vape in their hands from clearing the bowl, and then involuntarily drop it

Since the Z8 has so completely replaced the FPs for me, I offered the ShowerHead to my dad on long term loan…I’m really glad I set it up and stood right next to him when he tried it!

That first hit was definitely more than he expected, so the coil slowly slipped out of his hand and the weight of the coil and 600 degree titanium head was slowly pulling the cord over his fingers and it was slipping down straight down toward his thin shorts right in the worst possible spot… :o

I saw what was happening and grabbed it half way down, but I’ve worried a little ever since. That was a few weeks ago though, and he knows what to expect now, so… 🤞

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Since the Z8 has so completely replaced the FPs for me, I offered the ShowerHead to my dad on long term loan…I’m really glad I set it up and stood right next to him when he tried it!

That first hit was definitely more than he expected, so the coil slowly slipped out of his hand and the weight of the coil and 600 degree titanium head was slowly pulling the cord over his fingers and it was slipping down straight down toward his thin shorts right in the worst possible spot… :o

I saw what was happening and grabbed it half way down, but I’ve worried a little ever since. That was a few weeks ago though, and he knows what to expect now, so… 🤞

Yeah definitely gotta practice a little caution when using these toys! I still remember dropping my Showerhead on the carpet after a famous High Rollerz session 😂

I don’t like to dig into it too much as statistically getting in the car is much more dangerous, and most of us don’t think twice about that, but we all want to be mindful of the hot contents at work no doubt. Maybe one day I can do something completely self contained, there’s a few cool (rough) designs in the sketchbook.

I’ve been working on a ergonomic minimalist coil handle this afternoon. People have asked for one, and I’ve been wanting to do one for a while. Finally sat down and modeled it up, definitely not like anything else out there. It seems right, but I’ll have to look at it with a fresh head tomorrow to give it the stamp of approval.
Probably try and order a few samples, should be in in a week or so.

SX housings are pretty much done, I just need to go pick them up.
Still waiting on glass and beads to get the SX kits sent out though. Honestly it might still be a few weeks before the SX kits are mailed out; need to double check the lead time with the glassblower but definitely trying to get them out as soon as possible. I was able to get these parts made lightning fast locally and should be easy to keep them coming.

Hope to get the SX totally in stock in the store by next month so they are available and ready to order.

As soon as all my business banking stuff is situated I’ll be opening up for the next round of Z8 pre-orders.

TinyMight cooling stem samples will be coming with the glass shipment.

Think that’s all for now, got some other cool stuff planned down the road but I don’t wanna get too ahead of myself.

Thanks a lot for following, holler if you need anything!

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Yeah definitely gotta practice a little caution when using these toys! I still remember dropping my Showerhead on the carpet after a famous High Rollerz session 😂

I don’t like to dig into it too much as statistically getting in the car is much more dangerous, and most of us don’t think twice about that, but we all want to be mindful of the hot contents at work no doubt. Maybe one day I can do something completely self contained, there’s a few cool (rough) designs in the sketchbook.

I’ve been working on a ergonomic minimalist coil handle this afternoon. People have asked for one, and I’ve been wanting to do one for a while. Finally sat down and modeled it up, definitely not like anything else out there. It seems right, but I’ll have to look at it with a fresh head tomorrow to give it the stamp of approval.
Probably try and order a few samples, should be in in a week or so.

SX housings are pretty much done, I just need to go pick them up.
Still waiting on glass and beads to get the SX kits sent out though. Honestly it might still be a few weeks before the SX kits are mailed out; need to double check the lead time with the glassblower but definitely trying to get them out as soon as possible. I was able to get these parts made lightning fast locally and should be easy to keep them coming.

Hope to get the SX totally in stock in the store by next month so they are available and ready to order.

As soon as all my business banking stuff is situated I’ll be opening up for the next round of Z8 pre-orders.

TinyMight cooling stem samples will be coming with the glass shipment.

Think that’s all for now, got some other cool stuff planned down the road but I don’t wanna get too ahead of myself.

Thanks a lot for following, holler if you need anything!
I'll need to see this handle. I have the club handle and it's really big

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
So after much research, I love this device. Like on the pure convection front, it feels like I’m done. I don’t know what about the experience could be improved. I also have the Heavy Atlas on standby for variety and it’s amazing but still reaching for the Z8 like 90% of the time, it’s just got that sledgehammer effect I tend to be after. :haw: I am so freaking stoked about a zirconia ceramic bowl made to precise specifications! After several weeks of using the glass Z8 bowl and CouchLog glass bowl extensively, I started thinking about improvements that could be made to the bowl experience and because it’s difficult to express my thoughts sometimes, I just did a little rough sketch:

20-A0-A809-6389-4-CEA-B6-B6-1-FFCE17628-FC.jpg

I noticed on my Z8 bowl that quite quickly, a lot of debris accumulates around the screen edges which of course decreases the area & amount of airflow. I don’t have this issue with the CL bowl and I believe it’s down to the flared section that accommodates a slightly larger screen. I also don’t like that the business end of the Z8 doesn’t fit fully into the 14.4mm glass bowl, it only goes in about halfway. It works absolutely fine as it is, but the perfectionist weirdo in me really wants the matching ZC heater and bowl to fit flush together. My last idea is rather than a post handle, I propose a ridged bezel that would mirror the heater design and provide the ability to rotate and lift the bowl while not getting hot. The post handle on the Z8 bowl is so close to the top of the joint, it prevents the bowl from seating properly into pieces with a dewar joint. I think the bezel would solve this issue and still keep it close to the joint to retain its compact size.

Anyway these are my unsolicited suggestions for a ZC bowl so far, I’m happy to answer questions if my drawing is unclear. I drew it late last night under Z8 influence! Can you tell that I really really hope that this product moves into production in 2023? :brow:

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
So after much research, I love this device. Like on the pure convection front, it feels like I’m done. I don’t know what about the experience could be improved. I also have the Heavy Atlas on standby for variety and it’s amazing but still reaching for the Z8 like 90% of the time, it’s just got that sledgehammer effect I tend to be after. :haw: I am so freaking stoked about a zirconia ceramic bowl made to precise specifications! After several weeks of using the glass Z8 bowl and CouchLog glass bowl extensively, I started thinking about improvements that could be made to the bowl experience and because it’s difficult to express my thoughts sometimes, I just did a little rough sketch:

I noticed on my Z8 bowl that quite quickly, a lot of debris accumulates around the screen edges which of course decreases the area & amount of airflow. I don’t have this issue with the CL bowl and I believe it’s down to the flared section that accommodates a slightly larger screen. I also don’t like that the business end of the Z8 doesn’t fit fully into the 14.4mm glass bowl, it only goes in about halfway. It works absolutely fine as it is, but the perfectionist weirdo in me really wants the matching ZC heater and bowl to fit flush together. My last idea is rather than a post handle, I propose a ridged bezel that would mirror the heater design and provide the ability to rotate and lift the bowl while not getting hot. The post handle on the Z8 bowl is so close to the top of the joint, it prevents the bowl from seating properly into pieces with a dewar joint. I think the bezel would solve this issue and still keep it close to the joint to retain its compact size.

Anyway these are my unsolicited suggestions for a ZC bowl so far, I’m happy to answer questions if my drawing is unclear. I drew it late last night under Z8 influence! Can you tell that I really really hope that this product moves into production in 2023? :brow:
Love the idea for the design.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Definitely appreciate your valued feedback sir!
So nice to hear that the Z8 is living up to the hype!! It's a really nice feeling to hear people truly getting stoked on my designs. Hearing stuff like that definitely makes me want to come out extra strong this year!

Really like where you're going with it, funny enough that's actually almost identical to my custom Z bowl design; I'll send you a message here in a minute and you can check out mine. I didn't really want to post too much about it until I had a sample in to show, but I'm trying to get some ordered fairly soon, along with some other cool things to start testing and evaluating for future release.

I also don’t like that the business end of the Z8 doesn’t fit fully into the 14.4mm glass bowl, it only goes in about halfway. It works absolutely fine as it is, but the perfectionist weirdo in me really wants the matching ZC heater and bowl to fit flush together.

I agree with you, maybe there's something with these unground European adapters I have where the Z8 doesn't sit in it quite as deep? It sits perfect in my 14/20 ground stuff. I actually had to enlarge the joint size slightly on the Z8 because my InV2 proto was bottoming out in the same size adapters. This leaves a little bit of extra tolerance to compensate for variations in these molded glass fittings, but for whatever reason it's more noticeable with the bowls I sent out with it lol?

Here it is in my Sandcastle bowl, it sits an extra millimeter or two deeper even though they're theoretically the same opening diameter.

0-C83-E41-B-D9-EA-4309-9-CAA-C97278-E6-F50-D.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Speaking of bowls, how many folks would be interested in an 18MM glass bowl?
That's 18MM on the bottom for your 18MM glass, 14MM up top for all my vapes.

@Bigcountryx had one commissioned and it's looking pretty cool! Talking about possibly trying a few out.

Who would be interested in seeing a run of those in the store? Potentially colored versions as well?

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
In my mind's eye the ideal heater-exit-to-load-surface distance is no more than 25% of what you show there, and the aero of the diffuser and that of the bowl are complimentary in a way that the flow is engineered to support vaporization- more rocket nozzle than stream nozzle.
Another way: the id of the bowl where it meets the diffuser is identical to the id of the heater output and the interior shapes of both could be ingeniously contoured to encourage flow thru the entire pack.
$0.02.

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

@Bigcountryx had one commissioned and it's looking pretty cool! Talking about possibly trying a few out.

Who would be interested in seeing a run of those in the store? Potentially colored versions as well?
I have the CL glass bowl in both 18 an 14 and I definitely like the 18mm on pieces that have that size socket. Even through a drop-down, I feel like there is some benefit to not reducing down to 14mm.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In my minds eye the ideal heater-exit-to-load-surface distance is no more than 25% of what you show there, and the aero of the diffuser and that of the bowl are complimentary in a way that the flow is engineered to support vaporization- more rocket nozzle than stream nozzle.
Another way: the id of the bowl where it meets the diffuser is identical to the id of the heater output and the interior shapes of both could be ingeniously contoured to encourage flow thru the entire pack.
$0.02.

Well a rocket nozzle is designed for combustion :D
I did design a vape based on that shape though, it looked a lot like a recent butane release.

Also you can't really determine a singular flow rate here as everybody is using different glass pieces and with different amounts of herb loaded. Some fill the bowl to the brim, others barely cover the screen. Fluid dynamics is all about velocity. That's why the Volcano is so genius as the flow rate is relatively consistent.

But yeah the ID would be constant from heater to bowl.

As far as truly even heating, I'm not sure you can truly get the air flow to replicate what happens like when say: conduction in the bowl is present though; but it's something to work towards for sure, I've got a couple ideas.

Does it have the same screen design as the original bowl? Same 14mm screen?

I need to double check that! I was wondering myself.

I have the CL glass bowl in both 18 an 14 and I definitely like the 18mm on pieces that have that size socket. Even through a drop-down, I feel like there is some benefit to not reducing down to 14mm.

Thank you for your input! I don't really use any 18MM glass myself, but I'm definitely open to it if people want them. I think the colored ones could look extra sweet! Hopefully I can post some photos soon, I think @Bigcountryx is still waiting to get his in for testing so hopefully we'll hear some input from him when he's got some usage under his belt.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
My z8 underwent surgery this morning for a ruby replacement. 3mm -> 4mm. I picked up some 1/2" titanium screens. Not sure what mesh, but they are more open than the stocker. She is doing fine in recovery and maintaining a temperature of 500 degrees. She'll be undergoing additional tests throughout the days ahead.

SonicBacon

Yes definitely interested in 18mm jointed bowl as most of my glass is 18. Cheers, can’t wait to try the SX

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I also don’t like that the business end of the Z8 doesn’t fit fully into the 14.4mm glass bowl, it only goes in about halfway.
There are reasons for this design, which you will see in most injector heaters:
-Because as you note the bowl's Internal Diameter is usually bigger than the heater output ID, we need some space for the hot air to expand so as to avoid hot spots.
-It gives space for larger loads
-There is blowback with some bubblers, which pushes some vapor into the heater bottom- if this is the case then the longer that heater joint is, the more you'll have to clean later. If you don't clean it, it carbonizes and becomes very hard to get off.
My last idea is rather than a post handle, I propose a ridged bezel that would mirror the heater design and provide the ability to rotate and lift the bowl while not getting hot. The post handle on the Z8 bowl is so close to the top of the joint, it prevents the bowl from seating properly into pieces with a dewar joint. I think the bezel would solve this issue and still keep it close to the joint to retain its compact size.

I have been asking bowl makers to drop those silly handles for some time now but they are not listening. Most in the scene seem to copy something they saw on reddit or Instagram that somehow becomes the way things are done but is often not very good...

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I always use the handle on my herborizer bowl
Agreed. I use the handles on all of my glass bowls. I like the function and I don't have to worry about grabbing the hot parts when de-bowling. My wood bowls don't have handles but the don't retain heat. I can't even imagine the shovelhead workflow without a handle.

So I guess I come down as "pro" on the technology we call handles.

Top Bottom