• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Phase3 Vaporizers

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Another ceramic. Z8 is great with small rigs and recyclers:
IMG-3426.jpg
Wow. How does one go about, ahem, acquiring one of these works of art? Is there a glass version?

As for the quest for 14mm injector bowls... There are hardly any alternatives. Fixing a screen at the right height is definitely not easy.

I would like an opaque white bowl. I have been thinking about porcelain. Probably cheaper than zirconia but not sure how it compares to borosilicate for durability. Also, carb options.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Wow. How does one go about, ahem, acquiring one of these works of art? Is there a glass version?
No glass, but a few cool ceramic pieces (joints are 10mm female):
The Iro:

The Doho:

The beaker:

James makes some wonderful pieces and he's a great guy to work with. I love my Iro and the beaker looks great for ripping injector hits too.

I would like an opaque white bowl. I have been thinking about porcelain. Probably cheaper than zirconia but not sure how it compares to borosilicate for durability. Also, carb options.
That, I haven't seen. For carbs, iDB has some really nice looking 18mm ones:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't think so, any lathe with a compound slide can do internal tapers. Any competent shop can make this. Regardless I suggest you are over complicating the solution. I suggest that a taper is not required and potentially creates some issues, Heat transfer and potential sticking come to mind.

Below is a section view of the internals for a stand that can be likely be made with standard drill bits.

Well I'm no machinist so I can't say with absolute certainty, but when I had my prototypes built that I posted a page or so ago that fit standard male glass joints, the more affordable shops without 5 axis capability told me they couldn't do it and to go somewhere that could do 5 axis. Those parts were a lot different from the SX though as they were designed to be vertically milled where the SX was designed to be turned so that might have something to do with it.

Hope that makes sense?

Yeah I think I see what you're saying; thinking on it with a fresh mind/dab I'm not sure the taper is even needed, just a hole with a close enough tolerance to not create a bunch of wobble and allowing the weight of the device to keep it planted would probably be sufficient unless I'm forgetting something (definitely possible, those low tempers creep up on you... :lol: )

Only thing is, my desktop designs have a pretty short joint for a reduced contact area, and a lot of people like to add handles so I'd have to think for a minute if that might cause any kind of counterweight issues.
Compared to something like the DC or Qstand where the coil arm itself is what's bearing the load.
I kind of like that style as you're not really transferring heat from the vape into the stand.
I know I have some hand drawings around here of some stands I designed in like 2020, it was basically like the Qshop stand as I was going to do them out of glass.

I'll try and put a few different ideas together and I'll post them up to see what people think.

I think Z8, SX and soon Z PRO was the next logical step.
I like the glass a lot, but I would have ended up breaking it lol.
If I had followed the thread at that time I would have definitely bought this 1.7 😁.
And taking a step back I'm glad your design is in 14mm.
It changes from what I already have.

I also have a preference for very open airflow.
It's cool to know that SX will be as open as the Z8.
I also like diversified.. so I would probably end up trying other sizes of sapphires to see the differences.
Like 2.5mm.
I wonder if the heat retention would not be too strong with it?
Of course the airflow will be different lol

Well the ZPRO is still conceptual for now, so I can't really say it's coming soon. I mean it is kinda possible, but the Z8 is definitely still the flagship Phase3 product until further notice :D

Dang! I slipped and didn't check thread for the SX. Oh well, will watch much better for the next release. Love seeing all the positive reviews in here.

Sorry about that! I definitely tend to be pretty spontaneous with these kind of things and they kind of just happen without too much notice :D I definitely hope to soon work my way up to having enough inventory in stock so folks can just readily order. The SX being produced locally should definitely help out a lot in that regard with not needing to deal with long wait times.

As for the quest for 14mm injector bowls... There are hardly any alternatives. Fixing a screen at the right height is definitely not easy.

I don't have too much trouble with it really, but I've got some simple minimalist glass bowl designs that might have potential and be pretty affordable to do, I hope to order a few samples when I have an extra nickel in my pocket.

Also gang I did pull the trigger on commissioning a few custom TM2 sample stems.... I will literally have less than a handful to go around initially, but want to get some feedback for the design and hopefully start stocking those in the store. Definitely pulled together something fresh here, I hope you guys like it!

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Thank you, I will copy this method 👍.

There is not an SS screen size that allows you to place the screen at the height you want?
I would like to bring the weed as close as possible to the hot end.

In my experience with injector ball vapes, it is better to keep the distance and turn up the heat instead, if possible. You will get a more uniform roast and less charring / less chance of combustion if you are going for big rips.

I don't have too much trouble with it really, but I've got some simple minimalist glass bowl designs that might have potential and be pretty affordable to do, I hope to order a few samples when I have an extra nickel in my pocket.
Please think about doing it in opaque white borosilicate... it would match the Z8 nicely. Also looks better in general as it hides the screen (and any leftover bits of herb)... I have not used the ones with the glass screen but I imagine cleaning them is a pain so I would go with a bowl that has some way of keeping a metal screen in place.

Last edited:

AlphaDeltaF1

In my experience with injector ball vapes, it is better to keep the distance and turn up the heat instead, if possible. You will get a more uniform roast and less charring / less chance of combustion if you are going for big rips.

Please think about doing it in opaque white borosilicate... it would match the Z8 nicely. Also looks better in general as it hides the screen (and any leftover bits of herb)... I have not used the ones with the glass screen but I imagine cleaning them is a pain so I would go with a bowl that has some way of keeping a metal screen in place.

The janky floating screen bowl design really unnerves me-I’ll probably wind up selling my SX for that reason alone. I can’t be arsed with playing around with metal screens after the bowl inevitably clogs up after a sesh or two…

Really not understanding the bowl choice, seems like it just the path of least resi$tance.

Check this design out from goo roo

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The janky floating screen bowl design really unnerves me-I’ll probably wind up selling my SX for that reason alone. I can’t be arsed with playing around with metal screens after the bowl inevitably clogs up after a sesh or two…

Really not understanding the bowl choice, seems like it just the path of least resi$tance.

That goo too bowl looks fun and worth trying. However to me giving up on the SX, before you tried it, really feel like a baby-with-the-bathwater situation. I have 3 other 14mm bowls, no including adapters. Anyway, I think the bowl looks fine to me, including the screen. Looking forward to trying it. If it sucks, I will use another.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I can’t be arsed with playing around with metal screens after the bowl inevitably clogs up after a sesh or two…
Yes, this is so far the only inelegant part of using an injector vape. I am working on it!

The GooRoo has the same problem- you will end up having to use a pointy tool to poke the gunk through those holes and it will suck.

This is the best I have seen so far:
16109193001951161852509.jpeg
161091930635813663587.jpeg

This design will allow a metal screen to sit in place while being easier to clean....

Unfortunately there is no 19mm to 14mm version
:bang:
:bang::bang:
The problem is more pronounced with the 14mm bowls and their small screens. In my 19mm bowl the steel screen does not need cleaning every day and stays in place fairly easily. This is basically why I gave up on a 14mm injector setup.

As for handles on the bowls... not necesary... I have three silicone o-rings around the bowl to give my fingers some grip when the bowl is hot.

Oden

Someone who owns the Z8, highly recommended CouchLog's custom glass bowl!
It works with the Z8, and the screens fit snugly into the bottom of the bowl.
It works with 15mm SS screens.
It has a handle, so it will be a great addition to the Z bowl.
I will also have a Couchlog 14mm wooden bowl made, from Dfreez! This one will surely be my favorite, while waiting for the future bowl in SS for the SX.

Only good things to come for my SX. Personally, and speaking for myself of course, I would never sell the SX. This investment, and support from
my part, for Invertedisdead and the development of these projects that I follow since the creation of this thread.

Well the ZPRO is still conceptual for now, so I can't really say it's coming soon. I mean it is kinda possible, but the Z8 is definitely still the flagship Phase3 product until further notice :D

No problem dude, I'll be patient until the ZPRO arrives in the future 😁

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
https://oregonglassblower.com/14mm-Mini-Glass-Charcoal-Filter-14-14-14-14mf.htm
This design will allow a metal screen to sit in place while being easier to clean....

Unfortunately there is no 19mm to 14mm version
:bang:

Everything from OGB is made to order pretty much, plus he can customize most anything regardless, email him or put in the notes when you order that you want another size and I'm sure he can accommodate! (BTW you can also get bowls like this from Good Vibes Boro in any size configuration too)

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus

There's a lip the screen can sit in, despite the intended use case I prefer it this way so it's not free floating if you don't want

Vaporware

I’ve been averaging at least 1-2 bowls per day in the Z8 since I got it and I’ve never had to clean the screen beyond blowing it out and using a little S&B brush to clear out the remnants.

I think my girlfriend popped it out once, but it’s never come out for me. Maybe if it was completely clean it would be more likely to fall out, but right now airflow is still good and brushing, blowing, even smacking it against my hand repeatedly doesn’t dislodge the screen. :shrug:

I can’t guarantee that other people’s bowls and screens will be identical (or even that I won’t have similar issues in the future), but it hasn’t been a problem for me so far.

There are two things about the bowl that I’ve noticed that are minor and probably correctable issues for me though:

1. I’m using a low profile 18-14mm adapter and in that and a Grav j-hook I have the connection is loose. My O’Connell “Inception” hook fits tightly though, so I’m assuming they’re just using slightly different measurements for the joints…it still works, but there is probably a little air coming in around the bottom of the bowl with the ones that are a little loose.

2. Probably because I’m primarily using a loose adapter, sometimes the head sticks just enough to pull the bowl up a little. I doubt it would happen with a better fitting adapter, but if you don’t pull straight up there’s always a chance of pulling the bowl a little. I think this is probably true of any injector style head though.

coolbreeze

1. I’m using a low profile 18-14mm adapter and in that and a Grav j-hook I have the connection is loose. My O’Connell “Inception” hook fits tightly though, so I’m assuming they’re just using slightly different measurements for the joints…it still works, but there is probably a little air coming in around the bottom of the bowl with the ones that are a little loose.
I've noticed this as well: it seems like the handle prevents the joint from sitting deep enough into the fitting to fully seat. It hasn't really been a problem for me in terms of airflow, but ...
...there’s always a chance of pulling the bowl a little.
It fits well in most, and less well in some. I haven't found an unusable fit though.

rollerskater

yeah i do not love the handle for ergonomic and fitment reasons. ergonomically i prefer a maria to any kind of handle and a flat handle to any rod. hasnt stopped me from grasping the bowl at the base, nbd. screen groove would be nice too, w/e. features to put into the zirconia bowl :sherlock:

Please think about doing it in opaque white borosilicate... it would match the Z8 nicely.
ok your assignment for tonight is to really look at the z8... on weed!! admire the lustre and the sharp cuts, how fucking flat the top is; behold the perfect bevels on the bezel! white glass is not the play here :lol::2c:

coolbreeze

ok your assignment for tonight is to really look at the z8... on weed!! admire the lustre and the sharp cuts, how fucking flat the top is; behold the perfect bevels on the bezel! white glass is not the play here :lol::2c:
We need some dang ol' Heady bowls, tellyouhwhat.

Speaking of really looking...on weed, picture this with a shiny new SX!
IMG-3538.jpg

dangolgettinexcitedoverheretellyahwatnewshinyolheadtherepurtydangsoon...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

I've been running the screens like this since 2019 before the "injector vape" was even a thing; never really had a problem with it.

But if you know it's going to be an issue please send me an email if you'd like me to process a refund?
No need to think about selling a vape that hasn't even been built yet.

For what it's worth I don't really see the appeal to that linked bowl, the metal screen stuffed in there doesn't seem any more elegant and that glass shelf underneath the screen is going to get clogged with debris worse than the metal screen itself would have.

There's a lip the screen can sit in, despite the intended use case I prefer it this way so it's not free floating if you don't want

That's correct, it's meant to be operated in two different positions: the floating screen at the end of the joint for small dose flavor blasters, or all the way at the bottom for larger packs up to .25g.

I've noticed this as well: it seems like the handle prevents the joint from sitting deep enough into the fitting to fully seat. It hasn't really been a problem for me in terms of airflow, but ...

I'll try and get the handle moved up a bit for a little additional clearance. I have one rig that does the same thing but I hadn't seen anyone else mention this so I thought it might have been a one-off thing. It's due to variations in the molded female joints on these glass pieces. Interestingly, despite the loose fit on my one isolated glass piece, when I plug the bowl with my thumb to do an air leak test mine still makes a seal just fine, the handle just prevents the bowl from really locking down into the female joint.

yeah i do not love the handle for ergonomic and fitment reasons. ergonomically i prefer a maria to any kind of handle and a flat handle to any rod. hasnt stopped me from grasping the bowl at the base, nbd. screen groove would be nice too, w/e. features to put into the zirconia bowl :sherlock:

Thanks for your feedback! Yeah the Zbowl has been particularly designed for ambidextrious considerations among other things. It will be cool when I can get some samples in, I think you guys will be stoked to see how it matches the Z8.

I kinda like the handle though on the glass bowl as I can use it to push off with my thumb if the heater does get snagged up a bit.

Only issue with doing a maria on these current glass adapters is it creates an internal channel like many 18-14 adapters use to join, which creates a turbulent region in the bowl which is less than ideal.

I might be able to do something a little different with the glass bowls instead of the handle, I'll run it by my glassblower tomorrow.

We need some dang ol' Heady bowls, tellyouhwhat.

Speaking of really looking...on weed, picture this with a shiny new SX!
IMG-3538.jpg

dangolgettinexcitedoverheretellyahwatnewshinyolheadtherepurtydangsoon...

Now that's what I call 'prepping! :rockon:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Saw this on reddit, remined me of the stand/station discussion: someone built themselves an injector stand:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/109eyyq

I really like that a whole lot! Nice and stable with the wide base.

Alan did a log shaped like that for a guy on here a few years ago and it's still been one of my favorites.

My first "real" vape was a Volcano, so I've always liked that conical profile and have been tempted with the thought of eventually trying to do a shrunk down desktop with a similar profile.

@Cheebsy @bizwaxzion @Zuhdj

Thanks so much for the feedback, that's definitely a relief to hear that everything is still sealing fine and not causing any real issues. I've sent my glassblower a message to try and leave a little bit more clearance on the handle. These ones have already been commissioned but I'm going to draw up another bowl idea with a different handle design and send it to her and maybe get some on the next go around; maybe grab some with a bigger round of TM stems if those samples go over well. Gotta try to respond to some DMs and PMs on those today, might not get around to it until this evening as I'm gonna be out of the house catching up with some family this afternoon.

Thanks so much everyone and don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance.

coolbreeze

I'm happy with them, I haven't really thought of anything I would change on the Z8.

Z8 owners definitely chime in and let me know if there's anything that I should consider revising?
It's pretty good the way it is, but colors would drive people batty! "The Heady Z"...

Please ignore, though, so I don't have to buy assorted Zs!

Top Bottom