Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
exactly. Glass does not conduct nor store heat nearly as good as ruby. It would be possible to make a much shorter/smaller Glass symphony with ruby I guess. What you basically did.
The problem is probably the different expansion coefficients of glass and ruby. so heating a glass tube filled of ruby beads mights crack the tube. I wonder if there would be a filling pattern that allows for some expansion.

Yeah the original concept was always to take the purity of the glass symphony combined with the form factor of the flowerpot.

Both vapes used a completely isolated heating element which I always thought was a great feature. But since the GS was heated internally with a cartridge heater (isolated by the glass thermometer housing) I knew that to heat my part externally with a coil, I’d want a more conductive surface than glass to bridge between the housing and reduce the operating temperatures. Sort of an inversion of laboratory bead baths (Labarmor) ; where a thermally conductive bead is used to heat the glass vessels, since older lab designs like hot plates that only heat from the bottom, provide a far less even heat soak on insulative materials like glass.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
When will you be taking pre-orders?

Extremely soon!

Just making sure there's enough people to commit to the soft launch.

I think we'll be good!

I received a question asking about why I chose Zirconia versus Alumina (what is currently used in ceramic ball vapes) and I wanted to address that.

Alumina is cool as it's the same chemical composition as the sapphire beads themselves (al203)

On paper that sounds really cool, and depending on what you're going for, it could be.

However, the problem with an alumina housing is the same reason why the material works so well as a bead. It's heat transfer is twice that of titanium; but for a housing that means it's going to instantly dump tons of heat into the bowl. The only way it wouldn't start cooking the herb is if load is too far from the heat source to begin with, which is a different design flaw.

Zirconia ceramic is the only advanced material that has an ultra low conductivity close to glass.
For pure convection, that's ultra important.
This might be worth a separate post on its own, but a lot of vapes these days are claiming to be pure convection but have metal bowls. It's not happening. Don't believe the hype, your taste buds know better.

Alumina is a great material, depending on the intended purpose, but it transfers heat ~3000x faster than Zirconia. And these XLR coils ramp up at about 3 degrees Fahrenheit per second, so a "fly-by-wire" design doesn't work, I built one in December. I mean it works great, but it dumps a lot of heat into the bowl for the reasons I've outlined above.

All this extra conduction, which transfers so much heat into the bowl, is why other designs have to rely so heavily on "thermal mass" and high operating temperatures as its drawing so much heat out of the system.

Comparing the flexural strength of the two materials, at our usage temperatures it's not even close. The goal here is to offer something with the benefits of glass and pure convection but with a much more durable "end game" design.
zirconia_graph06.png

The lowest conductivity values at our temperatures, by far.

zirconia_graph08.png

Here's an interesting value, zirconia features quite a bit of thermal expansion. This is great for our usage; one of the problems with 1.7 is the metal coil expands more than the glass housing, which makes getting the perfect fit extremely important, and a bit tricky.
A higher thermal expansion from this material allows the housing to "snug" up to the coil as it heats, promoting better heat transfer. The added top bezel of 1.8 means it has to load from the top down like 1.5, so it can't fall out of the coil either.

silicon_nitride_graph07.png

Tinkering around the other day, made a few small aesthetic adjustments to the bezel and face, let me know what you all think!

InV1-8.png

InV1-8X.png

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation of why you went with zirconia, that makes a lot of sense.

Love the detailing on the side of the 1.8 man, and those intake slots look great too, really clean and they appear to be very unrestrictive.

Edit: one thing I'd like to point out about the 1.7 that I'm not sure has been mentioned is to do with weight. The 1.7 was very light, so having it on the end of the handle makes it really easy to control and effortless, I wish I had weighed it before I broke it. In use, my ceroma is like a workout in comparison. Fully loaded and supporting the coil cable it weighs in at 106g add you really notice the difference.

Last edited:

Farid

If you're interested in one of these, I highly suggest making your presence known in this thread, and reaching out to inverted.

The amount of thought and revision that has gone into this is enormous, and you're getting something that was designed by "one of us".

Besides that, you're supporting someone who has poured his heart into his passion, and pulled through tough times to pursue the best.

Not to mention, inverted is literally the true OG of ball vapes. He's a very modest guy, but don't let that fool you. Every other ball vape manufacturer has stood on his shoulders to some extent. He could have rushed a product to market to get ahead of the others, but instead he has always put quality first.

Don't sit on the sidelines on this one.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Is there a purpose for the discontinuous circumferential groove just below the upper edge(and/or the notches)? That's a lot of added machining complexity...

I just felt that for my personal vape, it’s gotta have a little bling! The “bezel“ is inspired by high end watches which are made from the same ceramic material.
I could just do a plain circle I suppose, honestly my usual design philosophy is “less is always more” but I’m trying to create a more detail driven experience with this particular unit.

I’m in.

Outstanding sir! I always have to give an extra shoutout to any previous 1.7 supporters - your continued support means a lot!

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation of why you went with zirconia, that makes a lot of sense.

Love the detailing on the side of the 1.8 man, and those intake slots look great too, really clean and they appear to be very unrestrictive.

Edit: one thing I'd like to point out about the 1.7 that I'm not sure has been mentioned is to do with weight. The 1.7 was very light, so having it on the end of the handle makes it really easy to control and effortless, I wish I had weighed it before I broke it. In use, my ceroma is like a workout in comparison. Fully loaded and supporting the coil cable it weighs in at 106g add you really notice the difference.

Thanks a lot my friend!!
The slotted intake was the most open airflow design I could come up with to maintain a fixed screen design in a sleek and simple to build fashion. The slots were originally supposed to come out in April on another round of 1.7’s.

I wanted to do something that would be harder to obstruct the airflow, as sometimes the beads block off the regular holes.

Already contacted you, @invertedisdead, but I’ll state publicly I’m in.

Epic! :rockon::rockon:
Thank you kindly!

If you're interested in one of these, I highly suggest making your presence known in this thread, and reaching out to inverted.

The amount of thought and revision that has gone into this is enormous, and you're getting something that was designed by "one of us".

Besides that, you're supporting someone who has poured his heart into his passion, and pulled through tough times to pursue the best.

Not to mention, inverted is literally the true OG of ball vapes. He's a very modest guy, but don't let that fool you. Every other ball vape manufacturer has stood on his shoulders to some extent. He could have rushed a product to market to get ahead of the others, but instead he has always put quality first.

Don't sit on the sidelines on this one.

My man!! :cheers: very much appreciate that sincere statement, it means a ton!

@Farid is a super knowledgeable guy and an ultra long OG forum member here. Really great dude to talk shop with, I’m always bothering him with new vape designs about every other day 😂😂

sweetherb

I...cannot... resist... Although I´m in EU, I would love this to be my first "ball vape". OG concept and connoiseur AF creator. I´m in.
I have been following the thread, but am a bit confused.

Are we talking about the new ceramic spiral heater? I am still not really sure what the 1.7 or 1.8 actually look like. Could somebody post a pic, so I can get an idea? I can't see the actual vape in any of the vids, just the clouds on exhale.

I was thinking of building a Glass Symphony, but if this is similar, I would probably go for it!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I have been following the thread, but am a bit confused.

Are we talking about the new ceramic spiral heater? I am still not really sure what the 1.7 or 1.8 actually look like. Could somebody post a pic, so I can get an idea? I can't see the actual vape in any of the vids, just the clouds on exhale.

I was thinking of building a Glass Symphony, but if this is similar, I would probably go for it!
Here is my post about the 1.7 and my early impressions, it has a few photos.

I have only seen renders of 1.8, there are a couple of those in recent posts from @invertedisdead

sweetherb

Here is my post about the 1.7 and my early impressions, it has a few photos.

I have only seen renders of 1.8, there are a couple of those in recent posts from @invertedisdead
Many thanks for posting this, much appreciated.

Having checked out your post on the 1.7, this could be exactly what I am looking for - especially with 3mm rubies.

Could the producer please put me on the list too? I am most definitely in!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Really awesome posts to see this morning!

My buddy set me up with a desktop computer a while back but I couldn't get it working on my network. Decided to mess with it last night and got my workstation all nice and refreshed. Finally I can work on this stuff with more efficiency, it was taking me up to 30 minutes just to print a shipping label with the old laptop I was using, feels super nice to have more than 2GB of RAM for 3D modeling... :myday:

I may have missed it, but what's the price point of this unit?

$330 for the CNC machined Zirconia housing filled with ruby/sapphire pearls + 14MM glass bowl
$420 with 16MM Disorderly Conduction coil installed + DC stand. (Basically everything but the PID controller)

Really appreciate everyone bearing with me, my next goal is to start a website where I can compile all this information in one easy-to-digest location. This thread is too long and has too many ideas and concepts to make it easy for newcomers to really understand this journey without reading the entire thing. I need to start a webpage where I can show all the different iterations this product has gone through since the inception. A place to talk about why and what things were changed after years of extensive testing, the science behind some of these decisions, and where the ruby ball vaporizer came from. All of this information is in this thread, but it's not concise enough to make it easy to understand.

This website will also streamline the preorder process significantly and maintain more tidy records for me knowing who has committed, as well as gauge overall interest for future concepts.

BakedDiogenes

Really awesome posts to see this morning!

My buddy set me up with a desktop computer a while back but I couldn't get it working on my network. Decided to mess with it last night and got my workstation all nice and refreshed. Finally I can work on this stuff with more efficiency, it was taking me up to 30 minutes just to print a shipping label with the old laptop I was using, feels super nice to have more than 2GB of RAM for 3D modeling... :myday:

$330 for the CNC machined Zirconia housing filled with ruby/sapphire pearls + 14MM glass bowl
$420 with 16MM Disorderly Conduction coil installed + DC stand. (Basically everything but the PID controller)

Really appreciate everyone bearing with me, my next goal is to start a website where I can compile all this information in one easy-to-digest location. This thread is too long and has too many ideas and concepts to make it easy for newcomers to really understand this journey without reading the entire thing. I need to start a webpage where I can show all the different iterations this product has gone through since the inception. A place to talk about why and what things were changed after years of extensive testing, the science behind some of these decisions, and where the ruby ball vaporizer came from. All of this information is in this thread, but it's not concise enough to make it easy to understand.

This website will also streamline the preorder process significantly and maintain more tidy records for me knowing who has committed, as well as gauge overall interest for future concepts.
Any suggestions for the PID?

cheese123

Alumina is a great material, depending on the intended purpose, but it transfers heat ~3000x faster than Zirconia. And these XLR coils ramp up at about 3 degrees Fahrenheit per second, so a "fly-by-wire" design doesn't work, I built one in December. I mean it works great, but it dumps a lot of heat into the bowl for the reasons I've outlined above.

I've been following vaporizer technology for a while now and am genuinely interested and happy to see new developments being made to advance the technologies. Regarding your choice on the materials, I'm curious if setting the heater coil closer to the target temperature would work well to counter the overly efficient heat transfer from the housing material used? Would the 'fly-by-wire' of those XLR coils be able to maintain say, ~450F (and by proxy the ruby beads), so that the bowl materials are heated up at around 420F? Asking with much respect and interest.

Top Bottom