Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Any suggestions for the PID?

Disorderly Conduction 3D or Auber RDK 200 / RDK 300 would all be great choices.
I'm personally still running my trusty MaxVapor controller.

Just to briefly address the electronics, as I'm not currently an authorized reseller for any of the electronic components, I'm not bundling with PID controllers right now as there's not much value I can add there. I am going to offer an option with a new 16MM coil installed as a lot of people want that "plug and play" experience; but overall the electronics aren't much of an opportunity for me unless I could become a reseller. I'm just buying them at retail price to add on as a convenience.

I've been following vaporizer technology for a while now and am genuinely interested and happy to see new developments being made to advance the technologies. Regarding your choice on the materials, I'm curious if setting the heater coil closer to the target temperature would work well to counter the overly efficient heat transfer from the housing material used? Would the 'fly-by-wire' of those XLR coils be able to maintain say, ~450F (and by proxy the ruby beads), so that the bowl materials are heated up at around 420F? Asking with much respect and interest.

If I understand your question correctly, I think you're essentially asking if a more conductive housing actually translates to lower operating temperatures - in my experience, no. And that's counter productive to what we might expect - it seems reasonable that a more conductive housing, that heats more evenly, would be more efficient and run at lower temperatures.

However I believe what happens is - as you get away from the more insulative materials like what the 1.x series has been made from, the more conductive housings by nature will always want to transfer more heat, whether that's into the bowl, or a stand, or even just the surrounding environment.

When this conduction transfer does occur, the glass bowl itself takes a lot of energy to heat up, which is why it can pull a lot of heat from some of these other systems. That's why these wood "injector" bowls have popped up, as wood is very insulative (~10% conductive as glass) and can help overcome losses from more conductive housings. The issue with wooden bowls is they don't make for neutral tasting vapor in my experience.

cheese123

If I understand your question correctly, I think you're essentially asking if a more conductive housing actually translates to lower operating temperatures - in my experience, no. And that's counter productive to what we might expect - it seems reasonable that a more conductive housing, that heats more evenly, would be more efficient and run at lower temperatures.

However I believe what happens is - as you get away from the more insulative materials like what the 1.x series has been made from, the more conductive housings by nature will always want to transfer more heat, whether that's into the bowl, or a stand, or even just the surrounding environment.

When this conduction transfer does occur, the glass bowl itself takes a lot of energy to heat up, which is why it can pull a lot of heat from some of these other systems. That's why these wood "injector" bowls have popped up, as wood is very insulative (~10% conductive as glass) and can help overcome losses from more conductive housings. The issue with wooden bowls is they don't make for neutral tasting vapor in my experience.
Thank you so much for your reply. After re-reading my question, I realized that I have confusingly used the word material in two places to describe both the injector housing and also reference the contents of the bowl. By having the injector maintain a consistent temperature, I was wondering if it is possible to have the hot air injected over the bowl contents at a similar temperature. Thank you for pointing out that the bowl itself will be a source of the heat loss which I neglected to consider.

I guess I am also trying to learn if an ideal injector device would be one that can 'condition' the hot air , so that it is stable regardless of the users' draw speed, and that the desired outcome would be to have hot air hit the herbs at a controllable and accurate temperature for vaporization (330-430F). Currently, it seems most injector devices have a learning-curve where the individual user needs to 'discover' on their own what to set the PID temperature to in order to achieve the results they want based on a number of factors such as draw speed, distance to the bowl contents, etc.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I guess I am also trying to learn if an ideal injector device would be one that can 'condition' the hot air , so that it is stable regardless of the users' draw speed, and that the desired outcome would be to have hot air hit the herbs at a controllable and accurate temperature for vaporization (330-430F). Currently, it seems most injector devices have a learning-curve where the individual user needs to 'discover' on their own what to set the PID temperature to in order to achieve the results they want based on a number of factors such as draw speed, distance to the bowl contents, etc.

I believe that was the idea behind the Tafee Bowle.

With these bong vapes there's just too many variables to really accomplish that as just glass pieces and water levels alone can have a big effect on the flow. IMO you'd want a closed ecosystem with more imposed limitations to truly reduce variability.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@invertedisdead I just wanted to ask: are you still planning on having a small batch of glass bowls of your own design made? I really hope there’s enough interest to justify it and you do proceed with those. I have a few injector bowls and would defo add 1 or 2 of yours to the mix!

I’m stoked that you decided to go with Zirconia over SS and so so glad I decided to check your thread today! Over the moon about the 1.8

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead I just wanted to ask: are you still planning on having a small batch of glass bowls of your own design made? I really hope there’s enough interest to justify it and you do proceed with those. I have a few injector bowls and would defo add 1 or 2 of yours to the mix!

I’m stoked that you decided to go with Zirconia over SS and so so glad I decided to check your thread today! Over the moon about the 1.8

Thank you sir!

Regarding the fixed screen glass bowls: I'm hoping so! But like you say, it really just depends on how much interest there really is since that has such an impact on the pricing and feasibility. Once I setup a website I can start a real preorder page to better gauge commitment and then I'll truly know about bowl options. If there's really enough interest in this platform, the real plan is to eventually do the matching zirconia bowl.

BakedDiogenes

Just to briefly address the electronics, as I'm not currently an authorized reseller for any of the electronic components, I'm not bundling with PID controllers right now as there's not much value I can add there. I am going to offer an option with a new 16MM coil installed as a lot of people want that "plug and play" experience; but overall the electronics aren't much of an opportunity for me unless I could become a reseller. I'm just buying them at retail price to add on as a convenience.

I’m definitely one of the hose who would prefer a complete kit, but totally understand about not gaining anything from reselling shit already available elsewhere. I’ll probably pick up that 3D PID from DC. Thanks for the suggestion!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I’m definitely one of the hose who would prefer a complete kit, but totally understand about not gaining anything from reselling shit already available elsewhere. I’ll probably pick up that 3D PID from DC. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah with 1.7 it was very "open source" which was the original concept and cool in theory, but with all the parts sourcing I noticed it took some buyers a while to get everything together and setup. I don't want these to feel like a "kit car" or weekend hobby project, so the new arrangement should be better.

And you're most welcome!

I'd take an 18mm and 14mm bowl with the injector if you offer them.

I'm only planning to do 14MM for now to keep my inventory concise, since 18MM reduces down easily enough to 14MM with a low-profile reducer.

Also, I wanted to announce that the soft launch is now live and available (I think) for pre-order :sherlock:

www.gophase3.com

I've also made an Instagram page where I hope to maybe share some future ideas and concepts, feel free to follow along on IG as well @goPhase3

Thanks everybody
:cheers:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Yeah with 1.7 it was very "open source" which was the original concept and cool in theory, but with all the parts sourcing I noticed it took some buyers a while to get everything together and setup. I don't want these to feel like a "kit car" or weekend hobby project, so the new arrangement should be better.

And you're most welcome!

I'm only planning to do 14MM for now to keep my inventory concise, since 18MM reduces down easily enough to 14MM with a low-profile reducer.

Also, I wanted to announce that the soft launch is now live and available (I think) for pre-order :sherlock:

www.gophase3.com

I've also made an Instagram page where I hope to maybe share some future ideas and concepts, feel free to follow along on IG as well @goPhase3

Thanks everybody
:cheers:
when will some be in the wild you think?

Vaporware

If any of you know other people who were interested, let them know so they don’t miss out!

Hopefully this is just the first of many rounds, but to ensure that we need to get them into more people’s hands. Especially people who have a lot to compare it to and who give a lot of recommendations. :)

…and my order’s in too. :rockon:

Vaporware

Edit: It looks like he is including one…I must have read something else about bowl/adapter compatibility and thought it meant we needed to source our own. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to share links to what you plan to use for bowls?

Right now I only have a low profile 14-18mm adapter and it’s probably not ideal, so I’m open to suggestions! :)

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Just outta curiosity, where does the price come from? People are complaining about it on Reddit.

Right now I only have a low profile 14-18mm adapter and it’s probably not ideal, so I’m open to suggestions! :)

It'll come with a bowl I think right?

HughJass

I don’t have a setup fleshed out yet, but I keep thinking of ways to potentially power this thing with portable power…
A currently in production option could be something like the Milwaukee from cannabis hardware. (Although it has a specialty 12v coil, so you’d need to contact them on making a 12v coil that fits)
But even better would be something like what iDrinkBleach has made with the Zenith or even compacted to a one-handed unit like the TetraP80s..

Ernielicous

I don’t have a setup fleshed out yet, but I keep thinking of ways to potentially power this thing with portable power…
A currently in production option could be something like the Milwaukee from cannabis hardware. (Although it has a specialty 12v coil, so you’d need to contact them on making a 12v coil that fits)
But even better would be something like what iDrinkBleach has made with the Zenith or even compacted to a one-handed unit like the TetraP80s..
I plan on using this with portable power using a DC portable battery pack that i picked up a while ago.
I've been using it to power up my DC pelinail, which has powered up the coil vapes that i have that use DC coils. Inv1.8 fits my setup perfectly(since the plan is to go with the DC coils.)
Unfortunately, the battery pack only powers DC coils(ive had luck with an auber coil too, so pretty sure that works also) but its made to only power 100v coils. It can also power vvps vapes (ive had luck with halo, highlighter & herborizer.)
I also have the milwaukee CH pid and though i think its great (you can just pop another milwaukee batteries when one dies) youre stuck using their coils and its not the standard XLR connection, its their old legacy one. They do have a 16mm coil but do not know if it will optimally fit.
Id rather just go with the setup assembled from the hands of the designer. which is definetely why im going inverted all the way, cant wait for this one!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Zuhdj I think there‘s a post a page or two back where inverted breaks down why the cost is what it is, it‘s basically down to the qualities of zirconia: it‘s a premium material with great properties but it also takes a lot of time, machinery and diamond saws to shape. I imagine lots of redditors immediately compare the cost to that of titanium or quartz or even borosilicate vaporizers. It’s a new material for this market so most people simply won’t be aware of Zirconia in this sort of application or the associated manufacturing costs.

I’m getting the 1.8 without a coil so I actually paid a bit more to preorder a Heavy Atlas and it’s shaped wood, heater, blown glass and ruby beads. I consider both of these prices to be exceedingly reasonable and they both happen to be made by members I’ve enjoyed and respected for years, honestly kind dudes whose vape visions I’m thrilled to support in a small way. The only type of vape I’m willing to add these days are from Quality people or small shops and I’m happy to pay for that personal experience.

If I’m honest, I suspect the redditors complaining about Inversion 1.8’s price point have to be in the 14-24 yo age range. For a top-tier design, with medical-grade materials, connoisseur device in 2022- you’re looking at $350-450 especially from any individual making small batches. I think some people don’t bother to factor in realistic material & manufacturing costs, not to mention some kind of profit for the creator and if you point out those factors they don’t want to hear about it, much less actually consider them. They just really really want the price to be like $200-250, as if they’re buying another mass-manufactured plastic, made in China POS from their shitty corner headshop.

None of this is directed at you personally @Zuhdj obviously! just my ranting & raving. I understand you were simply reporting what’s being said over there. I realised after I pointed out where it was explained, I just kinda went off! :lol:

HughJass

I plan on using this with portable power using a DC portable battery pack that i picked up a while ago.
How well does the portable pack work?/is it is fast enough, when heating up, for a semi quick session? Or is it something you turn on and leave on for a while to heat up and takes forever to cool down?
I’m trying to have a setup that fits in two large outer jacket pockets so it’s easy to take outside, setup, takedown and back inside. (Thus why the ultimate goal would be one handed setup)
And does the coils have to be dc power compatible? Or just the PID controller??

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
@Zuhdj I think there‘s a post a page or two back where inverted breaks down why the cost is what it is, it‘s basically down to the qualities of zirconia: it‘s a premium material with great properties but it also takes a lot of time, machinery and diamond saws to shape. I imagine lots of redditors immediately compare the cost to that of titanium or quartz or even borosilicate vaporizers. It’s a new material for this market so most people simply won’t be aware of Zirconia in this sort of application or the associated manufacturing costs.

I’m getting the 1.8 without a coil so I actually paid a bit more to preorder a Heavy Atlas and it’s shaped wood, heater, blown glass and ruby beads. I consider both of these prices to be exceedingly reasonable and they both happen to be made by members I’ve enjoyed and respected for years, honestly kind dudes whose vape visions I’m thrilled to support in a small way. The only type of vape I’m willing to add these days are from Quality people or small shops and I’m happy to pay for that personal experience.

If I’m honest, I suspect the redditors complaining about Inversion 1.8’s price point have to be in the 14-24 yo age range. For a top-tier design, with medical-grade materials, connoisseur device in 2022- you’re looking at $350-450 especially from any individual making small batches. I think some people don’t bother to factor in realistic material & manufacturing costs, not to mention some kind of profit for the creator and if you point out those factors they don’t want to hear about it, much less actually consider them. They just really really want the price to be like $200-250, as if they’re buying another mass-manufactured plastic, made in China POS from their shitty corner headshop.

None of this is directed at you personally @Zuhdj obviously! just my ranting & raving. I understand you were simply reporting what’s being said over there. I realised after I pointed out where it was explained, I just kinda went off! :lol:
Bro I agree soooo hard. It's ironic, being in the age range you mentioned, that I'm the voice of reason on my post over there haha. I figured it was just the zirconia, just wanted to make sure. Either way, I already ordered mine and they ain't gotta if they don't wanna. I'm super stoked to compare to the B-0 (which I'll likely end up sell to one of the other 18-24 year olds)

Farid

People on reddit will complain about price no matter what. I've seen it really bad with Dynavaps and the Anvil. My favorite is when they say "it's just a few bucks worth of metal" as if that's where the majority of cost comes from.

They have no concept of the size of this industry, and assume everyone selling something is some kind of nefarious corporation. Any company that becomes remotely successful to the point where theyre able to turn a profit is then branded as having "sold out".

I think Inverted has done the right move in his pricing. It's much worse to price too low, then have to raise the price. For someone starting out it can be really hard to conceptualize all the costs associated with running a business.

For this early stage I think it's important to have enthusiast customers who want to be part of the constructive feedback process.

Top Bottom