Induction Heaters - other than VapCaps, what other uses?

Mono Loco

Hi, all.

So, I saw a posting n Reddit that inquired about the possibility of using his Caladron to actually heat up his Vortex to the point of heat-treating it to colorize it. I advised against it, stating that it would likely over-tax his Caldron and damage it. But, it got me thinking. What else, other than heating VapCaps, CAN these I.H.s be used for? Are they ever used to heat other types of vaporizers? And what, I wonder, is the actual target application of the common ZVS module/coil that DIYs use ... other than our VapCaps, WHAT are they commonly/typically used for??? I guess they can be used to heat thin rods for burning holes through plastic sheets, or maybe used for heating jewelry wire ... I just dunno!

I would like to heat 1/4" diameter rods, 6" in length, but only need to heat .50" to 1.00" worth of their tip. I would like to get the tips of the rods "cherry red" hot! I would use them these "hot rods" to burn holes through 1/8" wood ... specifically, the walls of a wooden flute. While I wouldn't use Pipes' IHs to do this (I would consider it abuse!), I am wondering if a cheap DIY build from the common stock ZVS board would work (?). I wouldn't mind killing one to find out ... a sacrificial lamb that's pretty insignificant ($) when purchased from AliExpress/Banggood.

Might it work? Would a lower-amp Power Supply (4A), that would take longer to heat up be less-taxing on the heater, or would a higher (10A) powersupply that heats up faster be less-taxing? What would be the best setup for "solid steel rod heating" ... narrower diameter coils, tightly-coiled or loose (gaps) coils, more coils (even though I'd only stick the rod into them one inch) or just one inch of coils (with the slack simply routed out of the way ... or cut away?) ?????

I'm already assuming the SJK Dental Wax heaters, which are designed to only heat low-mass thin carving tools, would NOT be powerful enough to heat my Hot-Rods ... I've read opinions that they are barely sufficient for the VapCaps (though I have used one with 100% success on a Ti-tip in a glass stem, albeit for very light duty only).

G'nite!

Mono Loco,
Reactions: MM1968

MM1968

Hi, all.

So, I saw a posting n Reddit that inquired about the possibility of using his Caladron to actually heat up his Vortex to the point of heat-treating it to colorize it. I advised against it, stating that it would likely over-tax his Caldron and damage it. But, it got me thinking. What else, other than heating VapCaps, CAN these I.H.s be used for? Are they ever used to heat other types of vaporizers? And what, I wonder, is the actual target application of the common ZVS module/coil that DIYs use ... other than our VapCaps, WHAT are they commonly/typically used for??? I guess they can be used to heat thin rods for burning holes through plastic sheets, or maybe used for heating jewelry wire ... I just dunno!

I would like to heat 1/4" diameter rods, 6" in length, but only need to heat .50" to 1.00" worth of their tip. I would like to get the tips of the rods "cherry red" hot! I would use them these "hot rods" to burn holes through 1/8" wood ... specifically, the walls of a wooden flute. While I wouldn't use Pipes' IHs to do this (I would consider it abuse!), I am wondering if a cheap DIY build from the common stock ZVS board would work (?). I wouldn't mind killing one to find out ... a sacrificial lamb that's pretty insignificant ($) when purchased from AliExpress/Banggood.

Might it work? Would a lower-amp Power Supply (4A), that would take longer to heat up be less-taxing on the heater, or would a higher (10A) powersupply that heats up faster be less-taxing? What would be the best setup for "solid steel rod heating" ... narrower diameter coils, tightly-coiled or loose (gaps) coils, more coils (even though I'd only stick the rod into them one inch) or just one inch of coils (with the slack simply routed out of the way ... or cut away?) ?????

I'm already assuming the SJK Dental Wax heaters, which are designed to only heat low-mass thin carving tools, would NOT be powerful enough to heat my Hot-Rods ... I've read opinions that they are barely sufficient for the VapCaps (though I have used one with 100% success on a Ti-tip in a glass stem, albeit for very light duty only).

G'nite!

I have a quad core Countertop induction heater that can do 4 Dynavaps at the same time with variable power and a variable power Portable version for when I am out and about, although it does need plugged in. At full power can get to second click in under a second. My better half has discovered they can also be used for heating pots and pans.......but strangely not all pots and pans seem to work. Moral of the story don't use your induction heater for things it was not designed for.

The Countertop
9dEXEYsItBtB-K57pBVRIJmtpg4HToZgTLSB6UWulxwA-_Ez3sHq1UB15hUnYhAJEQtVimaiDoJjrBxRTxi_g8-plBfwqVh7At7ea7VeGEYUACitIQHnJxSfnv2LEHhy36F7w2Beczc1ia7ZmHi1CO5TzLCvC8qOKfsZjmd8pdJmTuFwC31yaFf4tBOXFL_u-PKFFRJKKvJBW0zyuF7wxLHqmU_2jCc0u_ZnX74PC23kGpP9FjvPJK5rj5ky6-RtkJlOX1dyMIlQ6WyWVcEauXAK5Fhv308Qw2nljrlV7Fbfqrnizx854ALH98AV4_QTwI2ocQFAg1mG6NJlzwEL6pLFR-R321eM7UT15MSDnUeOdBcHxaqmj45VAwF4z3XPX-S4J8VxH9p-TMy8WMKS9a0SvOam6xki7mPQTcO99bqjbz_s8bfI4qljZJNyCDyLeKi8kwBybC3Aq6_gMHG8B4nz8wR8s0fIpkvPwLrZxVpkNh_2bj_0EpPKuIZTLy5SGRDr6iCDTfmDXvX2KAe9jzKYvy-580xDx7ytcHi4Nv4uF2A0Fu48hYbx_zeUaTjilErmFEs7NAXRgsjndmd2yyGDO73NP3DGmFy5sRYztQCdyL8kvoSAea3-k7vbs16_Q6G6ddYrXxdWDW6d2rszZipTfoHN7ydg5jfFfzuCj5zbBmgxEdo6i1HCbaHpvA=w300-h400-no

The Portable
9AitY1HrN2jEYFwyfbtd2zd4Yu6BL_CZiwf2J4f7beZXvw2qaKh80tQt_HcRouaCj14GpZTQqmlt_FInUudIr6N2F2aik3rnRMS5EOscgYrKW4BXNBrUeAAP34Xz6P-njya8wFuVqDL2RhF7TGiOzKpAOhNNAAuZ670UM9FzFbNi32hQI0jfCPcpAH7N0s7TzS4fE2JfBLrWb_NzHYUvtJIhpntPBz9yOb1VUhHCm20T1rJ1U2HYPPhycpZs0PRb2kDOD7876mpqoTGxpJNTV-ZKom6cCAVpYlC5gvbdCR_Vk3QW6ucD7FFSW7pw_1l7gV0u3b-g7XdIUmqDmJU6RsosnxZmmfo55s02Jny_YRrg2TM0KNeB6PmwFICE_gV0zRl6Egsi60CzwqyIQaCyLzOWOHzP7OY_5He0zDqeZj-TewUwhkcbCfftWya8xHL3fyT9K33iJq9AnyUzUtMKyn6q2ClNb-fkJ9fR-J3MQZZtiHDoBWNMEibgPD4XvUMrvBXVY9hxpqq91FObaQ4IsExbCOEs6scjl2r9Oru9GWWDSuG3-mnr2IzLXF1cfG_8pjRla7aFCU4Zdss8__d9Av1ZIYXSW42iR7ueT0w3K7n7gGJC40og4028c74FToExzpuhCQuwop7mbLZGoh-j_wwXEY2mp99RyPTSQ-XLmBKlTJOaftw1fBMIlmKAMg=w300-h400-no

See also:
6KThPlp.gif

MM1968,
Reactions: Teedub

Mono Loco

Ha,ha ... that's great! Make a battery pack for the portable one and sell them as alternatives to the Flux Deluxe ... to hold folks over until their Flux Deluxe arrive.

My brother-in-law was disappointed when he purchased a new stove and discovered his favorite pan was not compatible. Here's what I had looked-up for him (which you probably already know): Not all cookware will work with Induction Stove tops. A quick test to determine if a pan will work is to test its bottom with a magnet. If the magnet is strongly attracted to the pan and clings to the underside, the cookware will work on an induction cook top. If the magnet grabs the pan softly, you may not have good success with it on your cooktop. If there is no pull on the magnet, it doesn't contain the right metals and will not generate heat. Most newer pans that are compatible will have an "induction compatible" symbol on the bottom of their cookware or, at least, on the packaging - the symbol often looks like a zig-zag or a coil spring. "Stainless steel" pots and pans are "hit or miss", due to the fact that "stainless steel" is a general term for a category of alloys that resists rust ... there is not ONE common formula for stainless steel ... there are several recipes, and each uses a different ratio/percentage of various metals ... some work on Induction tops and some don't. Pans with a high nickel content, which will react to a magnet, will not work ... which basically , invalidates the "magnet test" ... weird stuff!

Is that little animated shot a CGI of some sort, or is that little cylinder of steel actually levitating and defying gravity as it is reacting to the magnetic field? Some alien technology propulsion potential there ... or something like that!

Mono Loco,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You'd need the 1000 watt unit but you can heat flute hole tools. The trick is to keep the coil cool due to the heavier duty cycle. But IH is used for all kinds of very targeted heating of metals for all kinds of reasons. Water-cooling the coil is not unheard of for smaller work pieces.

And yes, I've popped the 120w unit. It doesn't take much. But I have used it to heat some tools to give them an anodized touch.

TommyDee,

MM1968

Ha,ha ... that's great! Make a battery pack for the portable one and sell them as alternatives to the Flux Deluxe ... to hold folks over until their Flux Deluxe arrive.

My brother-in-law was disappointed when he purchased a new stove and discovered his favorite pan was not compatible. Here's what I had looked-up for him (which you probably already know): Not all cookware will work with Induction Stove tops. A quick test to determine if a pan will work is to test its bottom with a magnet. If the magnet is strongly attracted to the pan and clings to the underside, the cookware will work on an induction cook top. If the magnet grabs the pan softly, you may not have good success with it on your cooktop. If there is no pull on the magnet, it doesn't contain the right metals and will not generate heat. Most newer pans that are compatible will have an "induction compatible" symbol on the bottom of their cookware or, at least, on the packaging - the symbol often looks like a zig-zag or a coil spring. "Stainless steel" pots and pans are "hit or miss", due to the fact that "stainless steel" is a general term for a category of alloys that resists rust ... there is not ONE common formula for stainless steel ... there are several recipes, and each uses a different ratio/percentage of various metals ... some work on Induction tops and some don't. Pans with a high nickel content, which will react to a magnet, will not work ... which basically , invalidates the "magnet test" ... weird stuff!

Is that little animated shot a CGI of some sort, or is that little cylinder of steel actually levitating and defying gravity as it is reacting to the magnetic field? Some alien technology propulsion potential there ... or something like that!

Not CGI, here is the full video the GIF is made from. It's the electromagnetic field created by the IH that suspends objects like that.

Then check this guy out for fun things to do with your IH

Last edited:
MM1968,
Top Bottom