Impurities Found In ALL Canned Butane...Not Good

darkrom

Great Scott!
Quoting the well known Greywolf from another forum.

"OK, I picked up the test results and am still going through it a line at a time, pulling up the MSDS sheets, starting with the items of concern.

The first thing to keep in perspective, is that the total oil was 12 ppm from 21.3 liters, so the PPM in the study should be divided by 1,000,000 and multiplied by .000,012, to get the concentration.

That concentration number X 1,000,000 will give you parts per millionth.

In summary, there were simple Alkanes present as long as C-16, which are not of health concern at the levels present.

In addition there are aromatic Alkenes present, that are of serious concern, but not at levels remotely close to exposure limits.

The concern with those Alkenes is really not reaching toxic limits, but the fact that some are known carcinogens, mutagens, teratogens, etc.

IE: Cyclohexane, isocyanato, which most likely came from the gaskets and seals used in the cans and process, because it isn't found naturally in butane.

Nasty bad shit, with an no exposure limits established and an intravenous LD-50 mouse of 13 ppm and present at the level of .000000001728 concentration, or .001728 parts per millionth. That is about 7500 times lower than the LD-50.

Another bad nasty present was Benzenamine, 3,5, at the levels of .035778 parts per millionth, with a Permissible Exposure Limit of 2 ppm TWA for 8 hours. That is only 56 times lower than PEL, so of more concern.

Benzene 1,1 showed up at a concentration of .000000003678, or .000003678 PPM, with a Permissible Exposure Limit of 110 ppm TWA 8 hours.

I could go on, but it will take me awhile to pull MSDS sheets for the whole list, so I've attached the raw data. Sorry the quality isn't better, but the original is barely readable and this was copied at 1200 bit resolution

Even if nothing is present at levels of serious health concern, I would prefer to not have any of that stuff in there, so in addition to fractional distillation using vacuum, we will be experimenting with Bentonite filters."

attachment.php

I will gladly update this with a direct link to the other forum if I have permission to do that. I view this as a serious matter.

Personally I'll be finishing the BHO I have, running my last can, then reconsidering if I want to do BHO runs anymore or just stick to bubble. I'm FAR FAR from anti-bho, but this may mean I become anti-canned butane BHO. In a cloosed loop system this is a non-issue, so dispensaries making things the proper way are as safe as ever, but the fact is canned butane seems to be a no-no for those of us concerned about what we are vaporizing. Not trying to cause panic because it is in INCREDIBLY low concentrations that are unlikely to cause issues, but I would still rather avoid known toxins. CLOSED LOOP is the way to go at this point.

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
can you explain how the closed loop is better to a lay person? are they sourcing the butane from places where there are NO impurities from manufacturing/storage? thanks

I think you are sharing important info about impurities of canned butane, which was never intended to be used as a solvent in a consumable product. Greywolf seems to really know his stuff, I follow him on other forums and he has a lot of experience.

vaporonly,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

darkrom

Great Scott!
From what I understand, the stuff is in pure butane as well, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

The closed loop system somehow recovers this solvent and the "mystery oil" which has now been identified as this crap listed above. I don't know how it keeps it out of the product, but I'm told it does. I don't have much info on closed loop, because I can't afford to dabble with closed loop systems.

I am really bummed out about this. Do I sell my oil gear? Do I keep it all for dispensary made BHO when they open here in MA? Hopefully they offer CO2 oil in this state once dispensaries open. I can always make ISO oil, but what about the stuff added to iso? I can always make everclear oil, but then there are plant starches and sugars that will always be present.

Right now I've got some bubble bags and one of those bubble machines on the way, but I JUST started getting into oil finally.

I'm considering keeping my gear with hopes that dispensaries offer CO2 and PROPERLY made BHO, but I'm not sure at this point. Very upset. Hopefully the bubble ends up being something I really like as much as I have in the past. Just got all excited buying tons of slick stacks, slick mats, dabber etc...not to mention the cera oil cart....and now I'm not sure what to do with it all. Sell it, keep it...I can't really decide right now and this is a huge bummer for me.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Darkroom, I come from a place of knowing less then nothing but I have read conflicting reports on the everclear..some say it leaves sugars and some say it has none. According to your post it seems like you are saying the plant matter itself leaves sugars if so can you please explain? Also if it is the plant or even the EC for that matter why do we care? It isn't an impurity like the butane. BTW we have dispensaries and even though I haven't gone to shop I can see on line no oils, maybe two waxes but not all in the same place, and I believe one had shatter. Very few sell edibles whether you want them or not just a point. I was told it was because it was all in the interpretation of how the law was written and some are basically scared.

Dreamerr,

darkrom

Great Scott!
The everclear contains sugars and starches that won't be removed from what I'm told. Now do I want to inhale starches or sugars from the everclear over known toxins, sure, but I don't KNOW for sure that it is safe to vaporize hash with sugar and starch left in it. I'd actually love to find out more about that specifically.

Are you in CA by chance? Solvent based hash is illegal in CA, but is 100% clearly legal here in MA which is fortunate for us.

vaporonly

i don't think that everclear has any remaining sugars or starches...any remaining from fermentation should be removed by the distillation that goes into making it 95%...one could do an evaporation test to confirm but it's pure ethanol plus water as far as i know.

i'm unclear how the closed system would put the impurities back in the butane at the end but I willing to entertain the idea if i get more info. i'll try to track down what greywolf says about it.

solvent based extraction is legal in a MA?

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yes solvent based extraction is legal here as confirmed by the DPH.

I can do an evap test sooner than later hopefully. Good idea. Just treat it like "purging" ISO hash, but with just everclear and nothing else in it. Simple and effective I like it.

I'm really bummed out about this whole situation. I literally JUST started blasting my own. Hopefully I grow to love my ever clear extraction because I don't want to give up the ease of oil.

darkrom,

vaporonly

i've read grey wolf say that his students enjoy the taste of the everclear oil,

it's better to know about this now vs 20 years from now on some future medical screening...

darkrom

Great Scott!
I ran a super small 1 gram batch of some blue dream that was organically grown by a friend of mine. I watched it from seed to cure. I know the strain and it is helpful to me and super high quality, so I chose 1 gram to measure the "micro-yeild" of the everclear.

The reason this is even sort of relevant to the BHO discussion is because it is hopefully a viable alternative, and since I winterized all my BHO with everclear, I'd wager that it will taste as good or better than MY bho. When I ran BHO I would dissolve it all in everclear, sacrificing taste for "purity".

I still plan on using my BHO, and in all odds running the last can I have left. I don't think this is the end of the world, but it is NOT a good thing to find, and I'd rather not include MORE chemicals into my life when there are other options.

In the meantime I am experimenting with ways to get a cleaner concentrate. I already have bubble bags on their way, but that is not really the same league as fullmelt hash such as BHO or ISO or QWET. I know people like Matt Rize say they are just as good, and I appreciate good bubble VERY much, but I can't load even his fullmelt bubble into my portable oil vape. I wouldn't have ordered bubble bags if I didn't love bubble hash, but it is NOT the same or even a viable replacement for hash oil in some cases.

treeman

I can understand your concern if your consuming massive amounts of hash oil but if its just a wee gram here or there I wouldn't be too concerned. People round here drink cans of butane just to get a buzz, sometimes several a day. While its certainly not good for you the residual amount left in my extract doesn't really begin to worry me when you see people huffing that yellow can, they don't even get the "near zero impurities" stuff.
I wouldn't get rid of your oil stuff, just try and use less frequently perhaps. Maybe dab bubble hash and save the bho for your cera cart? Do you have a vac setup to purge oil?

treeman,

Trever

i don't think that everclear has any remaining sugars or starches...any remaining from fermentation should be removed by the distillation that goes into making it 95%...one could do an evaporation test to confirm but it's pure ethanol plus water as far as i know.

i'm unclear how the closed system would put the impurities back in the butane at the end but I willing to entertain the idea if i get more info. i'll try to track down what greywolf says about it.

solvent based extraction is legal in a MA?

You are correct there are 0 impurities in EC no sugars no starches. Just straight alchohol and water thats it

Trever,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I don't have a vac setup, but I can't vac out these impurities in the butane itself according to greywolf.

Also, I can't imagine someone huffing butane! That is insane. I still don't want toxins just because others can get away with MORE toxins, but I get what you are saying and agree the levels of toxins are really low. I am not throwing out the BHO I already have or anything, but I know we can do better.

Trever

I ran a super small 1 gram batch of some blue dream that was organically grown by a friend of mine. I watched it from seed to cure. I know the strain and it is helpful to me and super high quality, so I chose 1 gram to measure the "micro-yeild" of the everclear.

The reason this is even sort of relevant to the BHO discussion is because it is hopefully a viable alternative, and since I winterized all my BHO with everclear, I'd wager that it will taste as good or better than MY bho. When I ran BHO I would dissolve it all in everclear, sacrificing taste for "purity".

I still plan on using my BHO, and in all odds running the last can I have left. I don't think this is the end of the world, but it is NOT a good thing to find, and I'd rather not include MORE chemicals into my life when there are other options.

In the meantime I am experimenting with ways to get a cleaner concentrate. I already have bubble bags on their way, but that is not really the same league as fullmelt hash such as BHO or ISO or QWET. I know people like Matt Rize say they are just as good, and I appreciate good bubble VERY much, but I can't load even his fullmelt bubble into my portable oil vape. I wouldn't have ordered bubble bags if I didn't love bubble hash, but it is NOT the same or even a viable replacement for hash oil in some cases.

If your ever made qwiso its the exact same process, exept i let the material sit for about 5-10 more seconds with gentle swirling. You will LOVE the taste its better than any bho ive ever had or made myself.

Trever,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Greywolf suggests a 30 seconds QWISO wash, but a THREE MINUTE everclear soak. I did a test run with 1 gram of premium bud to see what kind of yield I get on such a small batch. I let it soak for 1:30-2 min to try to get higher quality rather than impressive yield. I want to test it in a completely clean cera EO to see how it compares to the BHO I made which was always winterized in everclear anyway.

jdee

So if I want to use vape pens, and not inhale impurities, and live in canada where everclear is not available, what are my options?

jdee,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Order some everclear online, use isopropyl alcohol (91% or higher), continue using BHO and realize that the level of impurities is REALLY low, and technically a candle from the store is more likely to be toxic. That being said I know it is probably not an issue, but still I'd like to do better, because we should never settle when it comes to out health.

Trever

Greywolf suggests a 30 seconds QWISO wash, but a THREE MINUTE everclear soak. I did a test run with 1 gram of premium bud to see what kind of yield I get on such a small batch. I let it soak for 1:30-2 min to try to get higher quality rather than impressive yield. I want to test it in a completely clean cera EO to see how it compares to the BHO I made which was always winterized in everclear anyway.

I would rec 10-20 seconds for first run then "maybe" 30 for a second using qwiso and thats if everything including the ambient temperature outside is FREEZING. Ive noticed chlorophyll coming out in EC within 45-60 seconds but so many variables. Let us know how how the 2 min soak did after a foil test. Also did you freeze everything before hand and do your soak in the freezer?

Trever,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I did not freeze it. I used a 1 gram bud at slightly below room temp and the everclear was not frozen. I know freezing is ideal, so I don't expect the best of the best or anything, but those are the conditions I was able to get. I know they can be improved by freezing everything involved, and that will be part of the stuff I consider while judging the results. It is evaping now in a closed drawer which is far from ideal. I should ideally have it in front of a fan, but I didn't want to stink my room up of everclear any more than it already does. I noticed with QWISO or everclear it takes MUCH longer without the fan. From hours to days, but I am ok with waiting.

I am purposely not using heat, because I don't think heat "purging" everclear adds anything besides speeding up the process. I'd rather wait and see what I end up with for a concentrate.

darkrom,

Trever

I did not freeze it. I used a 1 gram bud at slightly below room temp and the everclear was not frozen. I know freezing is ideal, so I don't expect the best of the best or anything, but those are the conditions I was able to get. I know they can be improved by freezing everything involved, and that will be part of the stuff I consider while judging the results. It is evaping now in a closed drawer which is far from ideal. I should ideally have it in front of a fan, but I didn't want to stink my room up of everclear any more than it already does. I noticed with QWISO or everclear it takes MUCH longer without the fan. From hours to days, but I am ok with waiting.

I am purposely not using heat, because I don't think heat "purging" everclear adds anything besides speeding up the process. I'd rather wait and see what I end up with for a concentrate.

Ahhhh whenever i evap its around 90-98 degrees double boil no fan. Never noticed any loss of flavor, but im assuming your in a place where it cannot be done outside?? Definetly post a picture if you can, id love to see what it looks like not using a freezer with that long of soak times.
Love n light brother!

Trever,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'll be posting a pic for sure. The info on the BHO stuff is still coming in, so I think its fair to talk about alternative methods to get full melt concentrates as long as we/I keep updating this thread with BHO info as we learn it.

I have to admit I was really starting to like my BHO. I'm really counting on CO2 extractions being commonplace in this state. Hoping for it anyway.

darkrom,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
This is very disappointing to read. I cant get everclear shipped to my state or buy it here and i dont feel any better using ISO. What to do, what to do

Mynameismud,

Trever

This is very disappointing to read. I cant get everclear shipped to my state or buy it here and i dont feel any better using ISO. What to do, what to do

Try looking for some high grade high proof vodka. You can get stuff offline that is 96% ill look around ive seen it posted here a few times that people love to you it even more so than Everclear. It really surprises me that i can get everclear here in utah but elsewhere people have problems

Trever,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Try looking for some high grade high proof vodka. You can get stuff offline that is 96% ill look around ive seen it posted here a few times that people love to you it even more so than Everclear. It really surprises me that i can get everclear here in utah but elsewhere people have problems
Cool thanks. Yeah i can only get the 151 everclear here and every website ive found has my state listed with about 3-4 others they will not ship to

Mynameismud,
Top Bottom