IDEA: Password Protected Buy/Sell Sub Forum

stinkmeaner

I thought it would be more efficient to have a sub forum for members to sell their items so that questions can be asked in public about the merchandise, also as the FC forum grows so will the scams, so it would be nice if this sub forum would be password protected and if a member wants to sell something, they should email Admin and they will decide whether to issue a password or not. Though I am not sure, it does not seem like there have been any scams on this board yet but this is still a newborn site and inevitably scams will happen, but I think it would be safer if my suggestion were applied.

1. Sellers should have to be a member for a certain amount of time, I feel 30 days is not enough time to prove they are dedicated or interested in the FC board.

2. Sellers should have to always post a picture which also shows their board handle to prove they have the merchandise in their possession.

Of course you are going to have some people with complains like "I don't have a camera" and I say tough luck then considering almost every cell phone has a camera these days and if they don't own a camera or a picture phone then they surely can borrow one.

This may cause controversy but they always have other alternatives like Ebay, Craigslist, ioffer, etc

Mods: I was not sure were to post this since I didn't see a site suggestion sub-forum, I did see a thread but is was littered with nonsense and I did not think my post would even be noticed through all the repetitive statements in that thread.

stinkmeaner,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Honestly i would go for this 110%, any time i have sold stuff through FC it has been completely painless, much more so than any other website or (former) glass market.

Consider it guys!

Survivalism,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
A mandatory photo is probably a good idea, although I've had only good luck buying a few used vapes from the FC sellers.
I think PayPal offers some degree of buyer protection as well but to what extent I am not sure.

jeffp,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
Survivalism said:
SSS said:
if it ain't broke............
Never try to improve it? :rolleyes:
to improve something you need a problem to begin with. both the original poster and the person who posted after him had nothing negative to say about the current system. if someone with a negative experience wants to chime in i might have a different opinion.

SSS,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
SSS said:
Survivalism said:
SSS said:
if it ain't broke............
to improve something you need a problem to begin with. both the original poster and the person who posted after him had nothing negative to say about the current system. if someone with a negative experience wants to chime in i might have a different opinion.
You mean like how the OP describes that the current system doesnt allow for public discussion of the stuff for sale?

Survivalism,

SSS

Survivalism said:
SSS said:
Survivalism said:
You mean like how the OP describes that the current system doesnt allow for public discussion of the stuff for sale?
there's an "ask fc" forum, there's a thread commenting on buyer/seller transactions, there is myriad information about products in these threads. what's left to discuss that needs to go beyond buyer/prospective seller? enlighten me.

SSS,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
SSS said:
Survivalism said:
SSS said:
there's an "ask fc" forum, there's a thread commenting on buyer/seller transactions, there is myriad information about products in these threads. what's left to discuss that needs to go beyond buyer/prospective seller? enlighten me.
The details of the particular deal, any comments with additional cool information or questions asked to the buyer would benefit other people because the responses would be right their, sometimes people bring unique stuff here that people have not seen before.

A lot of the stuff sold on FC ends up being "passed around" here if you will, a lot of stuff has been owned by multiple people and it would be kind of cool to track it and be able to comment that it was at one point yours or if you get nostalgic you can track down who hopefully had it last and buy it back.

Im sure their is other benefits that i cant think of, i dont imagine they will open a public buy/sell sub forum but i do hope they consider a passworded one.

Price adjustments will be more easily seen in an actual forum as well.

Survivalism,

SSS

i like your suggestion for comments on a thread. coincidentally, before your last post i ran into a problem that the ability to comment on an item thread could help solve. there is a seller with an item i am interested in that has no e-mail contact listed and no e-mail link. i reported the post in hopes that a mod could put a note notifying the seller that he had no contact info. it would have been nice just to add a comment in the item thread.

SSS,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'd support a sub forum with password protected ability to 'add/edit a new post', but the free ability to reply to a post (and thus ask questions of the seller).

As for restricting the ability to post to those who can post a photo, I'll splunge on that issue. I can post photos when I'm not vaped, have several cameras, but can understand those who don't.

In any event, I (like I am sure most of us on this board) have an internal sense of who I trust on this board. I would easily buy from people without merely a verbal/written description of the product.

I use to buy and sell goods off of Usenet as long as 20 years ago.

My 2 cents.

Tom

tdavie,

lepstadder

I am not aware of any issues that have arisen from transaction on this board, if there have even been any at all

but my 2 cents...

1. Sellers should have to be a member for a certain amount of time, I feel 30 days is not enough time to prove they are dedicated or interested in the FC board.

2. Sellers should have to always post a picture which also shows their board handle to prove they have the merchandise in their possession.
I agree with both of these

lately i have seen sellers with very few posts

a picture with username and date should be mandatory

both good ideas in my opinion

lepstadder,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
I agree with this... many places can buy and sell wares on the internet... some are successful without the restrictions being discussed, yet those ones always have a tendency to have scams.

Putting some strict, yet fair rules in place at least deters scammers. If you want to sell it, take 5 minutes and post a photo! Getting a photo on the internet is pretty foolproof these days. Shit, get a webcam! If you're posting on FC with a laptop made in the past 4 years, you've almost certainly got a webcam already.

mattybass,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I dunno how much it would get used. There's not that much stuff getting sold on fc. Expecialy compared to like boromarket and such. Which is password protected and you need to pay to get access. Name and date picts are always a good thing. I don't think open threads would be a good idea because that encourages the "sick peice!" and lowballing bs which I wouldn't ever want to be a part of it. I'm thinking they don't need to do a whole lot else. I think our little system works pretty good on fc. Hopefully that doesn't change. :2c:

minnesnowta,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
it is self regulating as is in the sense that an unsatisfied purchaser has the option to express this publicly.
the likelihood that some rogue FC member on his/her way out will attempt to rip off someone here is not realistic but of course like everything it's possible.
but i think photos should be encouraged, of course.

jeffp,

stinkmeaner

To the people that are against it, I did not mean to start controversy or imply that the current system ineffective, it is just that many boards I have been a member of in the past have shut down the Buy/Sell sections because of scams. Even though there have not been any scams so far it doesn't mean there wont be, and when a scam artist figures out how easy it is, they will surely do it over and over again, but with a picture with current Date & handle ID, at least it will prove the seller actually has the merchandise in their possession, there has been numerous reports on sale & auction sites where people will just copy an image from the net and then post it as their own.

Like some of the other members mentioned, the section should implement rules. For one there should not be price offers in the thread and members should not post unrelated comments reflecting their opinion of the piece, but it would give a place for potential buyers to ask questions on the merchandise in which all parties interested will benefit from.

@ minnesnowta - No one said anything about paying to get access but now that you mention it, I don't think it would hurt the seller to donate a few bucks to help maintain the board's hosting fees, and perhaps if enough sales were made then FuckCombustion staff can have a contest with a prize giveaway once in a while, I don't see the harm considering that the seller just made money using the boards resources.

stinkmeaner,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
piggybacking on what you're saying stinkmeaner relating to funds for the forum, too bad "fuck combustion" t shirts probably are inappropriate for public display, but i'd buy one anyway - i'd just be selective where and when i wear it. actually i'd love one.

jeffp,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I think a buy/sell/trade forum where posting threads is password protected is a great idea.
The current system, is a little lame with just the one thread and having to scroll through the whole thing and all. A buy/sell/trade sub-forum would probably encourage people to do more business here, which would be cool, I definitely like seeing the glass some members here have for sale and have strongly considered buying some. Having to pay to sell thing though, I think that's little ridiculous. This isn't an auction site, it's a vaporizer forum and if people want to pay they will go somewhere like boro market.

If there are clear rules about how to post your thread, a good peer review/feedback system and everyone has each other's backs it would work fine. Another great thing to do when buying things from internet strangers is simply give them a phone call.

bluntfaced,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
That's what I was talking about.. The real glass heads are all over at boro market. If you want glass make an account over there. Fc will NEVER see that much action when it comes to glass. Just like fc is a dedicated vapor website there are dedicated glass sites...

minnesnowta,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I made one last night, pretty sweet, thanks for mentioning it. I was gonna mention you as a reference but I don't know your tag over there. Thanks though brotha

bluntfaced,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
minnesnowta said:
The real glass heads are all over at boro market. . Just like fc is a dedicated vapor website there are dedicated glass sites...
If thats the case, then Fear420 should be a moderator over there! :p (Luv ya bro)

AGBeer,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Lol damn!! It's nomis child if anyone wants to reference me :cool:. If you reference two people your account gets upgraded. I joined a day after it's launched. It's blown up since then and is the best system I've delt with. It's almost like a private eBay for glass. With the feedback system and what not. It's probaly just what you guys are lookin for. And the cheapest membership is 5$ I beileieve(if I'm wrong sorry, it's worth it).

Oh and fear is in the chat alot. He frequents that site as well. The mods over there are SUPER high end glass collectors and are super knowledgeable.

minnesnowta,
Top Bottom