I would like some advices on turning stem, mouthpiece and other little things

GI

Hi everyone,
I would ask, what type of tools are used to start making wood mouthpiece and stems ?

I start using a lathe but still don't have a mandrel and i buy the standard 3 gouges, i want to buy a mandrel and since cost a lot of money i want something that can use for stem, handel, mouthpieces and theese little things, the one that i find easy are for more big job.

Also if you have some advice on gouges and other lathe tools or some technical about the operations i will be happy.
I would like to learn and made pieces for myself and maybe some friends, not a production.
I'm a guitar maker and i know many parts of the job.

Bye

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
The first wooden stems I made for myself were made with a cheap drill press, a skateboard wheel and bearings, plus a long bolt as the mandrel haha! I used a woodworking chisel to do the cutting and finished them with sandpaper. It was very noisy!

I've also made stems by hand with a drill to drill the hole, a saw, chisel and sandpaper.

Have you looked at pen turning mandrels?

As far as turning tools go there are two main groupings.

Traditional

Carbide

GI

The first wooden stems I made for myself were made with a cheap drill press, a skateboard wheel and bearings, plus a long bolt as the mandrel haha! I used a woodworking chisel to do the cutting and finished them with sandpaper. It was very noisy!

I've also made stems by hand with a drill to drill the hole, a saw, chisel and sandpaper.

Have you looked at pen turning mandrels?

As far as turning tools go there are two main groupings.

Traditional

Carbide
Thanks good to look at....pen mandrel, i need to check i see other mandrel but i can't translate are like mandrel for drill but used on the left side of the lathe, not for making holes, they get about 6/7/8 mm diameter.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker

You can find cheaper, but something like this and a drill for your live center side. Can also go with collet Chuck which are great at centering or I use a nova style Chuck myself

Then get a live center and dead center that go to a smaller point so you can hold stuff with smaller inner diameter

Fwiw I have a pen mandrel I have never used

Edit- your gouges you will need a grinding wheel and jig to keep them sharp and good to use for awhile. With high speed steel tools I have to sharpen multiple times throughout day and sometimes in middle of projects if the janka is higher

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
I’ve got a few stems I’ve made with a drill and a sander. How do you get the hole drilled straight thru the blank?

flyin911,

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
Thanks good to look at....pen mandrel, i need to check i see other mandrel but i can't translate are like mandrel for drill but used on the left side of the lathe, not for making holes, they get about 6/7/8 mm diameter.
This looks like the info I’ve maybe been looking for, thanks

flyin911,

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I’ve got a few stems I’ve made with a drill and a sander. How do you get the hole drilled straight thru the blank?
That’s what the self centering chucks are for that I referred to in my previous comment ❤️

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: Grass Yes
Top Bottom