• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

I have an idea for a Mini Glass Symphony XLR 12V

GoldenBud

Hello,
Now that the Glass Symphony XLR is not longer in production, and G43 is powered by 510 mod, I think it is the time to build a Log-Beaded glass,

I think the future of the Glass Symphony XLR is like the mini version of it. GS Is abit like a dinosour, it's huge and takes all the space on your desk table.

510 mods.. Not everyone wants to deal with mods, softwares, and 18650 batteries.

How can I attach an heater to a 12v plug? Which safety recommendations i should be following?

PS it's of course not my genuine idea, it's smth between 2 existed vapes already.
Ofc I don't care if somebody will use this idea

Thanks for your reading..

lazylathe

Almost there...
@GoldenBud

I would start with a good, solid controller designed for 12V heater applications.
Auberins has you covered here with their 12V DC controller.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=491

The you can either have a coil wrapped around the outside of a glass tube with beads, like the EVO.
Or a SS cartridge heater inside a glass tube with the beads in an enclosure, like a log vape.

For the heater, something like this would work
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-performance-5v-12v-24v-48v_62440639268.html

You need to think about how it will attach to things. What size opening and what common vape parts will fit it. Or use a 14 or 18mm joint with an extension for a direct water tool connection.

So many options!

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have one coming soon... made in the USA to my specifications by a 3rd generation scientific glassblower... Fits a standard non proprietary 20mm coil... 18mm male joint to fit all kinds of existing bowls; I've spent like 2 years trying to figure out how to make the form factor as small as possible without using metal parts, with my latest revision it's now under 2.5 inches.

:science:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I have one coming soon... made in the USA to my specifications by a 3rd generation scientific glassblower... Fits a standard non proprietary 20mm coil... 18mm male joint to fit all kinds of existing bowls; I've spent like 2 years trying to figure out how to make the form factor as small as possible without using metal parts, with my latest revision it's now under 2.5 inches.

:science:
Didnt know it was a logvape all along you have been talking about.. It is interesting to see how the coil is housed ,so it doesnt burns the wood at that size .
I have been messing with glass ball logs almost since the GS came out. I have experimented with various heaters and now i am down to figuring out what is the best shape/size for each version,so i can narrow down the best possible experience.
I have ditched the PID part cause it is just not neccessary in such heater sizes,they dont have the trouble GS had along its creationg ,with combusting ,overshooting and stuff,so i am quite happy with the results,also no custom glasswork required.

It is cool that you have all glass ,inside.Have you separated the air intake away from the heater ,or is it the like the Elev8r+ coil combo. The coil is outside,but you still breath the warm air from the coil too. IMO in the situation when one has a massive metal coil near the air intake it is all the same purity wise if it would have screen made of metal,that would contribute something significicant to the count of metal IONS in the stream.
That being said, i would be pleased to see yours when you feel ready to show it ,either here on in a PM. :)
Cheers !d

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This was @Buildozer's take on it:

:peace:

That thread was a big inspiration for mine! the pictures no longer active but I had posted an attempt of that with a 25mm coil in the EoaS thread. My vape design just addresses some of the things I thought could be improved with a custom built part.

Didnt know it was a logvape all along you have been talking about.. It is interesting to see how the coil is housed ,so it doesnt burns the wood at that size .
I have been messing with glass ball logs almost since the GS came out. I have experimented with various heaters and now i am down to figuring out what is the best shape/size for each version,so i can narrow down the best possible experience.
I have ditched the PID part cause it is just not neccessary in such heater sizes,they dont have the trouble GS had along its creationg ,with combusting ,overshooting and stuff,so i am quite happy with the results,also no custom glasswork required.

It is cool that you have all glass ,inside.Have you separated the air intake away from the heater ,or is it the like the Elev8r+ coil combo. The coil is outside,but you still breath the warm air from the coil too. IMO in the situation when one has a massive metal coil near the air intake it is all the same purity wise if it would have screen made of metal,that would contribute something significicant to the count of metal IONS in the stream.
That being said, i would be pleased to see yours when you feel ready to show it ,either here on in a PM. :)
Cheers !d

Cheers friend! Always enjoy reading about your DIY stuff! Mine is not a log vape, it's a convection heater + bowl like the FP/GS/Herborizer etc. but I've got an idea for easily turning it into a log that I want to try. Only thing about logs is then I probably need to use metal screens to cover the heater and mouthpiece stem from crumbs. Probably not a huge deal but I'd like to eliminate as much metal as I can, even if it's just to say that I did.

Yes the air intake is directed away from the coil, I agree that a smaller coil build is probably better for a log, I have thought about a downsized version too which I'll probably try at some point. Are you using coils or cartridge heaters in your builds? I'm still going with the PID/coil based system on mine because I feel like its a simple/familiar system that many vaporists have already invested in.

I'm just waiting to receive some new parts so I can post a video!

Hippie

I run the G43 (and my homemade things) via a 12v supply and step down converters (DPS3005 and the cheaper ZK-J5X ). Both devices will limit the current to 5A or less for safety.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/diy-g43.43176/

Another option I've explored is to use a soldering iron element and PID controller like the diy Hakko and SSV heater cover idea (with and without glass balls)
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/diy-hakko-ssv-heater-cover.288/

And have an Elev8r quartz heater and a 16mm coil on route as I type :)

JHay

Hello,
Now that the Glass Symphony XLR is not longer in production, and G43 is powered by 510 mod, I think it is the time to build a Log-Beaded glass,

I think the future of the Glass Symphony XLR is like the mini version of it. GS Is abit like a dinosour, it's huge and takes all the space on your desk table.

510 mods.. Not everyone wants to deal with mods, softwares, and 18650 batteries.

How can I attach an heater to a 12v plug? Which safety recommendations i should be following?

PS it's of course not my genuine idea, it's smth between 2 existed vapes already.
Ofc I don't care if somebody will use this idea

Thanks for your reading..
An easier solution to what you'd like to do is to use an AC Heater, this can be run directly from a 110/220v source. You could put a dimmer in between to adjust the heat. I believe this is what the GS Inventor did in the early stages. I imagine he went away from this because he wanted the heater to recover from people's draws, so then he started programming the PID to try and maintain a set temp for the duration of the hit. People's draws really affect heater, so the devices that work off PID's or box Mods with TCR modes will try and maintain the proper setting no matter how hard or soft someone is drawing.

That's a tremendous decision you've made friend! You won't be disappointed, if you're okay with a little heat up time.

:rockon:
I agree, I love my elev8r. I've often thought of trying to hand wrap a coil around the heater, but in the end it heats so quickly with a torch and delivers big tasty hits. I'd be curious to hear what people are getting out of using the coil. Would save on Butane though, I go through alot of that... haha

Last edited by a moderator:

nonamekevin

I agree, I love my elev8r. I've often thought of trying to hand wrap a coil around the heater, but in the end it heats so quickly with a torch and delivers big tasty hits. I'd be curious to hear what people are getting out of using the coil. Would save on Butane though, I go through alot of that... haha
Come over to the elev8r thread for all the details friend. In short, the coil produces consistent results that isn't as easy to achieve with a torch. I prefer the torch for speed, but the coil is supreme with regards to control. :rockon:

GoldenBud

Come over to the elev8r thread for all the details friend. In short, the coil produces consistent results that isn't as easy to achieve with a torch. I prefer the torch for speed, but the coil is supreme with regards to control. :rockon:
btw how much the heater of the elev8r weights? around 30g?

GoldenBud,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
This was @Buildozer's take on it:

:peace:
Now I use an 18F-14M adapter as an external bowl, and keep the temp around ~624F IIRC.. it heats up in minutes, and vapor is instant and explosive, and AVB is very consistent.. it maintains it's temp very well even under heavy use..

It's almost impossible not to create a beast of a vape w/ those glass beads.. even w/ WAY less beads than the GS (and an external heater), it's still totally overkill for our vaping needs.. the rips I get out of it are way bigger than practical, but I love it :spliff:

I actually won that 18M-18M joint I used for the vape (and the dome I used to DIY a stand for it), along with some other stuff in one of @PhotoRider's contests some years back! :rip:

Summer

Long Island, NY
This is a great thread to follow. Thanks to the OP for creating it! :tup: A very sophisticated read. :clap:

@Stu, :tup: for posting that vid. It really does seem like an equal cross between the GS &G43 - at least to me. It looks really good.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisalive The old NASA shirt from the Gen 3 KISS daze! Guess it's time for lift off! :party:

The dreads are looking irie as well too. :spliff: Look at that beard! :o :lol:

How much are you using here ?

Have u tried microdoses in it ? (0.02 - 0.05)

Short preheat needed ?

Looks awesome man!

Nice work Dozer & Inverted

Cheers my friend! :wave:

Probably using around 100mg in that clip, maybe 150? I haven't been weighing anything but I'll try and do that for future vids!

Yes it works well with tiny amounts, for micro dosing I've been using the "scoop" side of a double sided dab tool, holds a very small amount, very smooth vapor finished in a draw or two. I'll try and make a microdose vid soon! I was fiddling with it this morning and I think I made another small improvement :science:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In essence , it's a FP, but with an exposed coil heating glass in an elev8r-type bowl. No?

Originally my idea going back to 2017 was to combine the form factor of the Flowerpot with the purity of the Glass Symphony. During the time that follows I got into rosin dabs off lab cultured gemstones, which is where the rest of the design elements draw inspiration from. :D

Hippie

Oh no - you've got me looking at diamond knot bangers now
And the 16mm coil for the elev8r hasn't even arrived yet :)

I'm thinking a female joint diamond knot banger and a male/male adapter with a gauze in the joint, or a short male one and an elev8r style bowl, could work in a similar way.

Top Bottom