I find TM2 and Sticky Brick hits superior to ball vapes

RedZep

I find the ball vapes extract better with smaller bowls (0.1 - 0.2g). Smaller bowls are tastier, more potent and efficient than larger bowls. I've noticed this as a general belief on FC as a general rule regardless of vape.

Considering this I find TM2 and SB to outcompete (imo) at this dosage level, when considering potency, taste, speed, and effort to load/empty bowls.

I have high hopes for the new generation of 14mm ball vapes however, as I feel they will zone in properly on the ball vape sweet spot

Anyone think I'm out of my mind? I have a feeling I'm probably going heavily against the grain on this one. I only have B0 currently for reference.

GoldenBud

interesting, when you use some ball vape you let the bowl getting heat soaked a bit before the draw?

GoldenBud,

AJS

Calm Consistency
Smaller bowls are tastier, more potent and efficient than larger bowls
I also find if you are able to load small enough bowls, tamping down helps in this situation for flavor.
Too large of a bowl, tamping can heat the top more than the bottom and reduce flavor.

A tiny bowl in the E-Nano XL, tamped down a bit more than usual...:drool:

I don't have experience with the vapes you mentioned though :)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
My experience is different but I think I get where you are coming from. I love my TM and it is the only portable in the running for when I am just chilling at home. It's great with small or large bowls as you said. I also enjoy it more with small bowls.

This is where we diverge:
Considering this I find TM2 and SB to outcompete (imo) at this dosage level, when considering potency, taste, speed, and effort to load/empty bowls.
There is nothing easier than loading a bowl and putting my Zeal on top of it. SB and TM are easy but not easier. It also hits harder and tastes amazing, especially at lower temps. It's not great for temp-stepping, but I don't need it to be.

I admit that my least favorite ball vape is my FP B1. Although I don't know if that is a factor in your preferences.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bricks and my TM, but I reach for nearly all my desktops first. You mentioned the 14mm devices. I really like them too, but I think CL is still my favorite in this class. The SX/ZX are great, but different in this regard. Still top tier devices though.

Have you tried using you SB with an injector? It's pretty fun although there is some the brick experience lost.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I don’t have a desktop ball vape but I have been using the Eighteen Millimeter Killer which is a cap and stem style ball vape. I find with a small single flame torch, the SB does offer more flavor and and I can taste it more strongly. I think this is because the heat is lower in the SB so the terpenes are likely being vaporized more slowly, and also I can take longer, slower draws with the SB which allow the terpenes to linger longer on my taste buds.

The immense heat from the cap of the Eighteen Millimeter Killer means I have to take shorter, faster draws so the terpenes are likely all getting fully vaporized in the first, shorter hit which means less time for them to activate my taste buds.

That’s my best “not a scientist but trying to think like one” guess.

All the other aspects of the high go to the Killer though. The come on is faster, the effects stronger, and are more full body versus the more heady high of the SBs.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Ball vapes are quite a diverse category though. I pretty much agree with everything @Grass Yes commented. Zeal is amazing with low doses of flower. The surface area of the bowl makes it so easy to extract in one hit, with great flavor as well. TM2 for me is pretty much for low temp range temp stepping only. Can't compare with brick vapes, never tried one.

RedZep

Hi all. Sorry for making the thread then not participating. I got a security error message when I tried to reply.

I've since realised I simply don't like using water with vapes. I find it conversely makes the vapour harsher for me. Makes me cough more. Takes flavour, and affects potency.

What I think I'm perceiving is simply that TM2 is better dry.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Hi all. Sorry for making the thread then not participating. I got a security error message when I tried to reply.

I've since realised I simply don't like using water with vapes. I find it conversely makes the vapour harsher for me. Makes me cough more. Takes flavour, and affects potency.

What I think I'm perceiving is simply that TM2 is better dry.

Use your ball vape dry then!
My only vapes that have water in them are my concentrate rigs.

As for 14mm...
The ZX by @invertedisdead is a game changer!
Tiny loads, very slightly tamped down and massive amounts of vapor and flavor!

What I did when I was using my CH modified head was to place an Arizer basket screen in the bowl, they should fit the hole perfectly.
Small loads, masses of vapor and flovor!
Also it vapes it perfectly even, no green ring.
Give it a try!

howie105

I went down the small load rabbit hole with my Elev8r and was very happy at the .05 g level. Compared to my Flip Brick at the .05 g load level I find the Elev8r tastier and faster to load and empty and potency is close to equal when I am doing my part.

Will new 14 mm ballers be better, maybe depends on how they are used. Vape design is just part of the story the user is often as or more important.

RedZep

Use your ball vape dry then!
My only vapes that have water in them are my concentrate rigs.

As for 14mm...
The ZX by @invertedisdead is a game changer!
Tiny loads, very slightly tamped down and massive amounts of vapor and flavor!

What I did when I was using my CH modified head was to place an Arizer basket screen in the bowl, they should fit the hole perfectly.
Small loads, masses of vapor and flovor!
Also it vapes it perfectly even, no green ring.
Give it a try!
I do so. I just think TM2 offers a better dry experience than the 18mm ball vapes imo. I have high hopes for the upcoming 14mm ones though

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Absolutely love my ZX, think you would as well. That said, balls don’t have to be big, or desktop, or electric. @phattpiggie ’s Thermal Accumulator and soon to be released Tempest (in cooperation with Mad Heaters) are some fantastic ball options that seem like they may fit well for your use style.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I do so. I just think TM2 offers a better dry experience than the 18mm ball vapes imo. I have high hopes for the upcoming 14mm ones though
Obviously this is subjective, but my TM is my favorite portable. So maybe we have similar tastes. I like my ZX and SX very much, but my Couchlog best of all. It is very different, but I have a more satisfying injector experience with the CL, for my tastes.

I can't remember which ball vapes you own, but if you don't like that style, I think you might be disappointed no matter what the head size is. Although both the phase3 vapes and the CL do great on a nice dry piece.

Sativapo

I Don't know but I feel my 14mm zx has no limits with different setups and a whole lot of factors can fine tune the experience exactly how I want it : temp setting, grinding size, packing, bowl types, screen types, screen to material distance spiked jhooks for cooling etc..
The taste is as pure as it gets for me. I guess it would be better without metal screens but I honestly don't feel them.
Being able to shape my own screens to make them cup flat bottom style and adjustable has been key.
Crazy versatility my lungs are more of a limit than the vape for how I set it.
And it's super easy to pack a bowl and debowl.

Last edited:

nicknobody

I Don't know but I feel my 14mm zx has no limits with different setups and a whole lot of factors can fine tune the experience exactly how I want it : temp setting, grinding size, packing, bowl types, screen types, screen to material distance spiked jhooks for cooling etc..

And it's super easy to pack a bowl.
I feel like more ppl should master their vapes like this.

I often dislike my new devices for some time until I master them. I love the challenge.

Bzero was the exception. So easy.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I’ve been thinking about putting together a guide on tuning your equipment. It’s not just the device, but any glass and/or attachments you use. When in use they all become one closed system, and each addition, subtraction or adjustment made to the pieces in the system [will/may] require tuning of the system.

Or maybe someone smarter than I could put one together? It’s something I think should exist.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I’ve been thinking about putting together a guide on tuning your equipment. It’s not just the device, but any glass and/or attachments you use. When in use they all become one closed system, and each addition, subtraction or adjustment made to the pieces in the system [will/may] require tuning of the system.

Or maybe someone smarter than I could put one together? It’s something I think should exist.
That seems like an excellent topic for a thread. Obviously it could go wildly wrong, but I like the idea of crowd sourcing general techniques for optimizing your experience.

Some might be vape-specific, but I absolutely agree that some are generalizable. Breath control, adding and removing restriction, etc. A hell of a lot more than just "temperature", although I would include temp stepping in that list.

Sativapo

Yes I didn't mention it but I always end doing temp stepping like 2 to 4 steps mid to high with all my vapes. I don't get this thing to cash the bowl in one hit it's impossible for me I would cough for 10 minutes and loose the good taste at the beginning if single high temp hit or loose some stoneness/ effectiveness of the end if it's one low/mid temp hit.

RedZep

Obviously this is subjective, but my TM is my favorite portable. So maybe we have similar tastes. I like my ZX and SX very much, but my Couchlog best of all. It is very different, but I have a more satisfying injector experience with the CL, for my tastes.

I can't remember which ball vapes you own, but if you don't like that style, I think you might be disappointed no matter what the head size is. Although both the phase3 vapes and the CL do great on a nice dry piece.
Thanks for this. I was weighing up the Couchlog and ZX. Sounds like CL would be more fitting to my tastes also.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Anyone think I'm out of my mind? I have a feeling I'm probably going heavily against the grain on this one. I only have B0 currently for reference.

I would suggest either hitting the B0 harder or trying another reference :D

You can really hit a good ball vape hard with a big bubbler. Other vapes just cannot keep up. The effect of a large amount of cannabinoids and terpenes hitting you with just one inhalation simply cannot be delivered by other types of vapes when using bud. I guess a full balloon might get close but who wants plastic bags and the taste just isn't there....

Last edited:

RedZep

I would suggest either hitting the B0 harder or trying another reference :D

You can really hit a good ball vape hard with a big bubbler. Other vapes just cannot keep up. The effect of a large amount of cannabinoids and terpenes hitting you with just one inhalation simply cannot be delivered by other types of vapes when using bud.
Yeah I honestly think my perception is just from a preference for smaller dry pieces. So it's just a case of TM2 being better at the very specific way I like to vape.

Sativapo

I hit the Zx with a small dry piece. A spiked j hook. I find the experience better than through the bubbler. I can cash a small bowl in like 4 hits. The fact that you can't outblow the heater even with a very open, almost free, airflow makes a real difference compared to a portable in taste and effects.

Spj3k1

Ball vapes are quite a diverse category though. I pretty much agree with everything @Grass Yes commented. Zeal is amazing with low doses of flower. The surface area of the bowl makes it so easy to extract in one hit, with great flavor as well. TM2 for me is pretty much for low temp range temp stepping only. Can't compare with brick vapes, never tried one.
I use the TM2 mostly on 8 or 9 and I have upped the default temp to max. Clear a pretty big bowl in three or four pulls.

Spj3k1,

coolbreeze

I find the ball vapes extract better with smaller bowls (0.1 - 0.2g). Smaller bowls are tastier, more potent and efficient than larger bowls. I've noticed this as a general belief on FC as a general rule regardless of vape.

I have high hopes for the new generation of 14mm ball vapes however, as I feel they will zone in properly on the ball vape sweet spot

A screen-covering in the shovelhead is about twice the herb I normally put in the P3 bowl. I run both at 480 and either will do a one-hit roast at those levels, both taste really good, both give really great effects. One's just twice as much as the other. The B0 would do a one-hit roast, but at a higher temp and perhaps with the flavor a bit degraded as a result. Both the Zs and the Zeal can easily roast bigger loads, of course.

The Couch Log is definitely something to consider, as well. It has more than enough power, is very versatile, great flavor, etc. For me I tend to roast larger loads a bit more aggressively with it compared to the ZX so I think the flavor suffers a bit in comparison, but probably only for that reason.

Top Bottom