Hydrocarbon how to handle?

damm

So I picked up some Oleum extracts Hydrocarbon distilled oil the other day and put it on an ice block and it's pretty strong you can take a dab tool (just using the knife edge of a dab tool) to try and cut it and the heat of my hand on the dab tool warms it up.

So I've taken to cooling the dab tool as well; but seems less than productive? Trying to just not use a whole gram at once.

http://imgur.com/fAzoJbI & http://imgur.com/853QNXF

Pardon the blurry second but hopefully you get the idea; I'm going to stick it in the fridge in a bag hopefully moisture won't be an issue and maybe then I can break it up into smaller pieces without it solidifying quickly

... Sure you can scrape it up with a hot dab tool but it gets nasty fast, any hints or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

damm,

herbivore21

Wait so are you saying it is too hard and shattery? If so, cold is definitely, assuredly NOT what you want to introduce to the mix! The cold will make it harder and more shatter-like!

I would remove the material from that container and get some oil slick slick wrap. Place your shatter on the wrap over a warm (WARM, NOT HOT! Your hand should not burn with any amount of contact with the surface!). Then you'll be able to collect a dab off of it. Do not leave the material on a hot surface for long as you're gonna decompose the goods.

damm

Wait so are you saying it is too hard and shattery? If so, cold is definitely, assuredly NOT what you want to introduce to the mix! The cold will make it harder and more shatter-like!

I would remove the material from that container and get some oil slick slick wrap. Place your shatter on the wrap over a warm (WARM, NOT HOT! Your hand should not burn with any amount of contact with the surface!). Then you'll be able to collect a dab off of it. Do not leave the material on a hot surface for long as you're gonna decompose the goods.
No it's not too hard and shattery; it's too soft.

I was thinking of just taking it out and placing it on parchment paper I have some good paper... at least then I can treat it like Rosin and deal with it...

Toss it on an ice pack and slice it up

damm,

herbivore21

No it's not too hard and shattery; it's too soft.

I was thinking of just taking it out and placing it on parchment paper I have some good paper... at least then I can treat it like Rosin and deal with it...

Toss it on an ice pack and slice it up
Ohhh shit too soft is another story. Stick it on an icepack or hold it in front of an air conditioner for a moment and collect a dab as you say :)

Distillates are usually less viscous than other kinds of extracts and IMO should never be sold in the container you received. Glass syringes or (WIDE MOUTHED!!!) glass jars only depending on viscosity :2c: Be very careful using parchment man. Any parchment with a thin non-stick layer is likely to delaminate on sticky stuff like a distillate.

herbivore21,
Reactions: damm

damm

Ohhh shit too soft is another story. Stick it on an icepack or hold it in front of an air conditioner for a moment and collect a dab as you say :)

Distillates are usually less viscous than other kinds of extracts and IMO should never be sold in the container you received. Glass syringes or (WIDE MOUTHED!!!) glass jars only depending on viscosity :2c: Be very careful using parchment man. Any parchment with a thin non-stick layer is likely to delaminate on sticky stuff like a distillate.
Hmm, so then maybe I should warm it up and suck it into a few syringes? I have about 95 empty 1ml syringes

Yeah it was my first time buying anything from Oleum extracts; people on reddit are all the rage about it. The container pisses me off

damm,

herbivore21

Hmm, so then maybe I should warm it up and suck it into a few syringes? I have about 95 empty 1ml syringes

Yeah it was my first time buying anything from Oleum extracts; people on reddit are all the rage about it. The container pisses me off
If the syringe is plastic, no. Plastic syringes are just more of the same problem (which is that you can't remove all the distillate from the plastic without potentially bringing some stuff out of the plastic along for the ride). I would get it out of the plastic container and into something glass though. Don't go too overboard trying to scoop/rescue residual oil from the original plastic container either. IME you could get more than you bargained for!

If you wanna make it easier to get what is there out of the container they gave you, sit it on top of an ice pack while you collect :)

damm

If the syringe is plastic, no. Plastic syringes are just more of the same problem (which is that you can't remove all the distillate from the plastic without potentially bringing some stuff out of the plastic along for the ride). I would get it out of the plastic container and into something glass though. Don't go too overboard trying to scoop/rescue residual oil from the original plastic container either. IME you could get more than you bargained for!

If you wanna make it easier to get what is there out of the container they gave you, sit it on top of an ice pack while you collect :)

Hmm, Mason jars wouldn't be a problem I assume? scooping out of the big wide mouth would be incredibly painful but I have some pretty small jars and I can get in the cracks and crevices so seems like that would at least cover being able to recover most of it (if not all)

damm,
Reactions: Squiby

herbivore21

Hmm, Mason jars wouldn't be a problem I assume? scooping out of the big wide mouth would be incredibly painful but I have some pretty small jars and I can get in the cracks and crevices so seems like that would at least cover being able to recover most of it (if not all)
Mason Jars are difficult to collect a dab out of if they are your typical bud sized jars but if you could find a shallow one that would be quite useful - the mouth is good and wide on a jar like that :) The benefit of glass is you can wash it safely with a solvent to recover any tiny amounts of residual so it can be used in reclaim/edibles.

damm

Mason Jars are difficult to collect a dab out of if they are your typical bud sized jars but if you could find a shallow one that would be quite useful - the mouth is good and wide on a jar like that :) The benefit of glass is you can wash it safely with a solvent to recover any tiny amounts of residual so it can be used in reclaim/edibles.
That's what I was thinking... what I couldn't scrape out could just be used otherwise easily

We're having a problem with Silicone containers up in Seattle; most people should have stopped by now.

Looking at my containers I suspect the same; it's a silicone mold likely with talc on it that sometimes doesn't fully come off. Vaping talc is not fun

herbivore21

That's what I was thinking... what I couldn't scrape out could just be used otherwise easily

We're having a problem with Silicone containers up in Seattle; most people should have stopped by now.

Looking at my containers I suspect the same; it's a silicone mold likely with talc on it that sometimes doesn't fully come off. Vaping talc is not fun
For sure bro, silicone is unacceptable as a container materials for concentrates IMO and I've said it for a long time. I abandoned all silicone in my processing space a very long time ago for this and other reasons (silicone does not play nicely with sticky solventless resin either! I've watched an oil slick mat's top green layer peel off into a piece of full melt hash before! Silicone and nitrile gloves regularly have had chunks ripped out from touching and then quickly pulling away from a piece of hash! Ripe 120u full melt is like fucking epoxy!).

damm

For sure bro, silicone is unacceptable as a container materials for concentrates IMO and I've said it for a long time. I abandoned all silicone in my processing space a very long time ago for this and other reasons (silicone does not play nicely with sticky solventless resin either! I've watched an oil slick mat's top green layer peel off into a piece of full melt hash before! Silicone and nitrile gloves regularly have had chunks ripped out from touching and then quickly pulling away from a piece of hash! Ripe 120u full melt is like fucking epoxy!).
That's kind of what I do with my 6-star Bubble Hash; except I use a tool that I heat slightly with my Volcano (to heatup the bubble hash) and break into that sticky barrier. Usually it takes about 6-8x to pull a gram into a full ball and from there and a little heat on the glass you can use the ball to pickup pretty much most of the rest.

I use black 6x Nitrile gloves lately turn it into a Candy cane and then I can use my dab tool with a slicer once it's thin enough to break it into tiny doses.

Labor of love; you feel winded afterwards but the reward is great.

damm,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
damn this thread. i dont want to give up my slick stack! they make it so fucking convenient. ugh

i knew since herbi has been saying it that its a wise change, but ive been procrastinating. i also love my "wax wallet" too :ninja:.

and id rather not have to shell out for a roll of slick sheet all the time. i see a void in the market.

herbivore21

damn this thread. i dont want to give up my slick stack! they make it so fucking convenient. ugh

i knew since herbi has been saying it that its a wise change, but ive been procrastinating. i also love my "wax wallet" too :ninja:.

and id rather not have to shell out for a roll of slick sheet all the time. i see a void in the market.
Silicone mold is so fucking real bro. I have seen silicone molds effect straight out solvent shatter that would normally never be at risk of getting moldy. @damm is right to raise this problem, especially somewhere reasonably moist like Seattle.

The problem with silicone being reused is silicone is a porous polymer. It swells with various oils and liquids and so can also house molds and other contaminants. It is nigh impossible to remove some of these kinds of compounds when silicone swells with them. Molds should obviously be an instant trigger for abandonment of any container too.

Those wax wallets seem convenient, but man I'm dabbing full melt all day. If it costs me a little extra to keep it clean and unadulterated/uncontaminated - then I guess this Herbivore is gonna have to reach deeper into the hip pocket ;) The peace of mind is worth the money, and then beauty that is isolated whole resin glands is reward enough for the extra cash spent on using glass ;)

BTW, one convenient way to store meds is to stick it between two borosilicate microscope slides (the resin will need to be sticky enough to hold the slides together, if not then this obviously wont work so well lol) and then place the slides inside a mason jar :) It is very easy to gently scrape your meds off of the flat piece of glass with a flat HE dabber tool - just be careful not to scrape too hard and break the glass ;) This shit (the slides) is so insanely cheap that you will not believe it! We're chumps having paid for expensive cannabis industry non-solutions like silicone containers! I'm finished giving my cash for half baked ideas from stoners that end up leading to problems with my meds :lol:

Last edited:

damm

I suspect https://terpproof.com/product/test-product/ would not be a good product either. I'd loose too much on the paper

Those wax wallets seem convenient, but man I'm dabbing full melt all day. If it costs me a little extra to keep it clean and unadulterated/uncontaminated - then I guess this Herbivore is gonna have to reach deeper into the hip pocket ;) The peace of mind is worth the money, and then beauty that is isolated whole resin glands is reward enough for the extra cash spent on using glass ;)

That's my only problem is full melt is about 80$/gram where as I can pickup the Hydrocarbon for 45$/gram. That and selection there's lots of Rudeboi and Pepperment Cookies and Gorilla Glue.

I never was into Gorilla Glue myself but because it's full melt I picked up 4grams a month ago and have been using it when I need an extra... It's beautiful stuff; a little fun to work with like I mentioned but the payoff is truly amazing

If my pockets were not light this month; I'd have more peppermint cookies in the fridge

damm,

herbivore21

I suspect https://terpproof.com/product/test-product/ would not be a good product either. I'd loose too much on the paper

That's my only problem is full melt is about 80$/gram where as I can pickup the Hydrocarbon for 45$/gram. That and selection there's lots of Rudeboi and Pepperment Cookies and Gorilla Glue.

I never was into Gorilla Glue myself but because it's full melt I picked up 4grams a month ago and have been using it when I need an extra... It's beautiful stuff; a little fun to work with like I mentioned but the payoff is truly amazing

If my pockets were not light this month; I'd have more peppermint cookies in the fridge
Bro you're fortunate to find full melt at $80 a gram too, I've heard some insane prices from people lately! I make all of my meds so pricing is not so much my first consideration. It is easier for me to consider input material, output yields and average doses for different kinds of extracts to determine what will best suit my needs.

IME, full melt bubble can be dosed in smaller amounts than rosin and so the lesser yields can be accepted. Definitely understand that for folks who are paying retail for concentrates that full melt might be a rare treat. If I were buying concentrates at those prices, it'd be the same for me!

BTW, I can't really comment on the terp proof product since that store page gives practically no information at all :lol:

herbivore21,
Reactions: Morty

2clicker

Observer
Silicone mold is so fucking real bro. I have seen silicone molds effect straight out solvent shatter that would normally never be at risk of getting moldy. @damm is right to raise this problem, especially somewhere reasonably moist like Seattle.

The problem with silicone being reused is silicone is a porous polymer. It swells with various oils and liquids and so can also house molds and other contaminants. It is nigh impossible to remove some of these kinds of compounds when silicone swells with them. Molds should obviously be an instant trigger for abandonment of any container too.

BTW, one convenient way to store meds is to stick it between two borosilicate microscope slides (the resin will need to be sticky enough to hold the slides together, if not then this obviously wont work so well lol) and then place the slides inside a mason jar :) It is very easy to gently scrape your meds off of the flat piece of glass with a flat HE dabber tool - just be careful not to scrape too hard and break the glass ;) This shit (the slides) is so insanely cheap that you will not believe it! We're chumps having paid for expensive cannabis industry non-solutions like silicone containers! I'm finished giving my cash for half baked ideas from stoners that end up leading to problems with my meds :lol:

well im not dabbing full melt all day, but i know yer right. sounds like ill be sourcing some slick sheet.

herbivore21

well im not dabbing full melt all day, but i know yer right. sounds like ill be sourcing some slick sheet.
I tend to use slick wrap for squishing rather than slick sheet actually, PTFE is persistent in the environment and can really get funky with high pressure. I do the abovementioned glass thing with boro slides for storage of most of my meds ;)

herbivore21,
Reactions: Morty

2clicker

Observer
I tend to use slick wrap for squishing rather than slick sheet actually, PTFE is persistent in the environment and can really get funky with high pressure. I do the abovementioned glass thing with boro slides for storage of most of my meds ;)

what about when youre out? say you wanna tote a gram of oil along with you. just fold it up in some slick wrap?

and how do the boro slides work for storage of quantity? dont they smash it? what do you store the slide in when its got oil in it?

sorry for the derail @damm

damm

Bro you're fortunate to find full melt at $80 a gram too, I've heard some insane prices from people lately! I make all of my meds so pricing is not so much my first consideration. It is easier for me to consider input material, output yields and average doses for different kinds of extracts to determine what will best suit my needs.

IME, full melt bubble can be dosed in smaller amounts than rosin and so the lesser yields can be accepted. Definitely understand that for folks who are paying retail for concentrates that full melt might be a rare treat. If I were buying concentrates at those prices, it'd be the same for me!

The Terp proof product is just another form of parchment paper with a coating on it to prevent terpenes from sticking to it. Honestly my concern with this stuff is just more of ready to toss it as I forgot to mention that it's in a silicone container inside that plastic container.

Super Sour Tangie sounds wonderful but i can't shake the plastic taste when dabbing and I have pets... if it's hard on me it can be worse on them (and no I don't dab in the same room as them; back of the house in a well ventilated area)

Lastly; yes I was more spoiled when we had our medical shops open in Washington. Greener Today would run out of their 6-star bubble hash daily. You would come in and see the menu posted and if your lucky .. still have some 5-star Tangie sitting in my fridge from them I need to try dabbing this stuff...

50$/gram for 5-star at the time; 65$/gram for 6-star... they started pressing out bubble hash into rosin before the bubble popped.

So right now i've been using http://imgur.com/aPFaNBB

damm

P.S. I forgot to mention this; based on our conversation about silicone. The inner ring that I mentioned in http://imgur.com/853QNXF unfortunately is silicone.

After removing it you can see where on the plastic container where the oil and silicone has separated and is letting it through.

240$ in the trash I had heard great about Oleum extracts so I was dumb and bought 4grams up front instead of buying 1 gram and trying it first.

Happens; always reminds you to buy small.

damm,
Top Bottom