How many hits for full extraction.

530rasta

So I'm wondering how many hits do you guys take off of your vape before you feel like you fully extracted what's going to make you feel good?

Honestly, I feel like just a couple big draws off of the arise or air max or any good vaporizer gets the THC glands vaporized. The rest might be just a waste of time? And bad for our lungs?

Curious your thoughts

530rasta,
Reactions: vapviking

186°

Not easy to answer. There are a lot of variables we have to take into account for the extraction rate. My guess would be that the number of draws might not be among the most important variables. Which vape? What is in the vape? How is the particle size of the grinded material? How high is the temperature (along the material)? What kind of heating and air flow? How big/long/strong is the draw? Those are questions I would ask first if I would look at it scientifically. Either in order to keep those variables constant or to ask the underlying question: how to get the most out of my weed?

Back to the question of how many hits for a full extraction. I think a full, i.e. complete extraction of all the desired active substances, is not really possible. I don't know of any scientific paper about it, but some people checked cannabinoid contents before and after and the results suggest that you can be very happy if you accomplish even 50% extraction rate.

It makes totally sense that more hits lead to higher extraction rates. I think, you want to know whether its worth the effort to keep going, right? We know simply from experience that the first hits have "more calories", that means they have a higher amount of cannabinoids per volume of air. After the bulk of cannabinoids is extracted in the first 3 or so hits the ratio of active substances to air will become increasingly lower after every subsequent hit while harming substance (Benzol ect.; depending on temperature) and bad tastes could be getting more and more into the mix.

It would be a totally interesting question to find out the sweet spot of maximum extraction/effect and minimum harm!

For now it probably comes down to personal preferences or tolerance to avb taste how long someone is doing it. Most times I like to do temp-stepping in order to get a long session and the most out of my weed. Sometimes I stretch 0.03 g for 10 draws with my Vapman. But I don't want to vape every weed "until the end". There are strains that have some nice tastes left even when considerably vaped and others that suck right after the start. I remember a strain called Berry Haze which had a crazy long lasting taste. I even tried successfully to vape it first in the Lotus (which is a convection vape) and after that, because it had only a light brown color, grinded it again with my fingers into the Vapman (mostly conduction + higher temperatures) and had some really not bad tasting hits (to say "good" would be too much). While this is good to know when the stash is about to diminish, it is normally not worth the effort for me, because it's way past the above mentioned sweet spot :)

Well, this are my thoughts. Does anyone know more about instruments to measure cannabinoids? I heard of mobile instruments that give out numbers quite fast? Are those reliable? What techniques do they use? Are they affordable?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah, far too many variables, not the least of which is the individual doing the toking.
We all look for the balance, what works best - for us, from the canna to the type of material used for the heater, to everthing else.
If not, we'd all be happily sipping on a Pax2!

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
So I'm wondering how many hits do you guys take off of your vape before you feel like you fully extracted what's going to make you feel good?

Honestly, I feel like just a couple big draws off of the arise or air max or any good vaporizer gets the THC glands vaporized. The rest might be just a waste of time? And bad for our lungs?

Curious your thoughts

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i have my vape set to timeoff at 7.5 minutes from startup. roughly 1.5 minutes to get to temp and heat saturate, then 6 minutes of inhales. i like long-ish inhales. seems to work well. i need to do the math to figure out how much heat transfer from heater to incoming air vs air flow rate. instead of doing the math, i just take a slow long 20 sec inhale and slow exhale. the load is still producing vape when i stop. very thin. i don't think it is dangerous. the abv only gets brown. load in the vial is about 0.1 g, loose packed,

Hippie Dickie,

EverythingsHazy

On the E-Nano, a GonG seems to be like >75% extracted within 3 large hits, and >95% extracted after 6 large hits. Large hits being enough to fill a 10-12" bubbler.

There are definitely diminishing returns after the 3rd hit. The first one isn't always more dense than the second (probaby due to moisture being drawn out and the bud being heated up past room temp, with the first hit), but after the 3rd (and maybe 4th, if the bud is really high quality), they tend to get much wispier.

EverythingsHazy,
Top Bottom